Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #341
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Thanks so much, I'll give that a shot. That begins the same way as an exercise I do when I'm trying to calm down or focus, but it takes it a step further. I like it!

I actually lucked out and my voice just randomly kicked in nicely for my voice lesson, so I made good progress today, but it took about every ounce of energy and focus I had... Luckily no work tonight, so I'm going to bed probably around 8p.m. tonight... soon as I can get done with my homework.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #342
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I had to gather and push carts by hand for four hours last night. I was literally on my feet pushing stacks of seven to ten carts for four hours out in the sun.

Did I mention that I was hired TO BE A CASHIER? And that there were three other guys around my age who are not as good as I am at cashiering... and none of them were asked to go outside and gather carts?

Also that I had to gather carts from the lot by myself for an hour while they sent the actual cart guys on a lunch break?

And it just makes me angry because the other day the general manager of a nearby Sam's Club came through my line, and she said she was incredibly impressed by what a great, helpful cashier I was, and that if I wanted to transfer over she'd be happy to have me... plus it would be an automatic 60 cent raise at the very least.

And I said: "Thank you, I'll definitely keep that in mind, but I really like the managers here so I'll have to think about it."

Want to know what the cherry on top was? I came in, after having pushed carts for three hours, I am -dripping- sweat... and the manager looks at me and goes, "Oh! Andy... were you outside? I couldn't find you when I looked out there for you," all said with this suspicious look on her face.

................... I am freaking dripping sweat. I only came in to get another bottle of water to take outside with me. YES I WAS OUTSIDE. Does it -look- like I've been slacking off!?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:09 PM   #343
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Hmm, not to much going on...
Got searched by the police at my school for an hour (that was after being interrogated for half an hour) because some idiot rent-a-cop thought my ham radio was a bomb detonator.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:22 AM   #344
Sian
Sapling

That sounds really unpleasant! I hope that they didn't confiscate it...!

My mini rant is that I've felt sick all week. I'm fianally feeling better thanks to many doses of Airborne.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:40 AM   #345
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sian View Post
That sounds really unpleasant! I hope that they didn't confiscate it...!

My mini rant is that I've felt sick all week. I'm fianally feeling better thanks to many doses of Airborne.
No, they didn't.
And besides...I'd try to use my RACES affiliation to exert Federal influence on them. Maybe help 'em change their mind, eh?

Good you're feeling better.
Nice to meet you, btw.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #346
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

This whole school all day, rush home to work, don't get home till 11, do homework till midnight, get up at 6:30 the next morning, rinse and repeat thing is absolutely killing my brain. I swear to God, BRAIN CELLS ARE GETTING DEADED.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:07 AM   #347
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I never like bumping up the venting thread, but we've just had another school shooting her in Finland. It wasn't even a year ago since we had the last one.. If we haven't been the most violent country in the EU before, we sure are now. What the **** has happened?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7630969.stm

(and that's uncomfortably close to where my family lives)

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #348
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm so sorry to hear that, Nel ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #349
Mari
Elf Lady

I heard about it on the radio
It's terrible.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #350
Nerdanel

meh, now i'm back to bump it up again. X) not for as horrible a reason this time, though.

why is it that when i finally sit down and manage to focus i just have to check one more newspaper? X) now i won't get anything done..

my brother is on the first page of the online local news paper (local for where he is and where my family lives), because there have been rumours in the school he's in. hard to guess what kind of rumours? that someone has threathened to bomb/shoot the school. so they decided to let those who felt unsafe go home. my brother was one of the few ones who didn't leave, so they came and interviewed him. i would've done what he did, certainly, and i'm not worried that he'll get shot at. i just hope he's alright - mostly because i don't know how he reacts on that. it probably isn't too nice to have those kinds of rumours circulating when many people just died in another school not so far away.

so, phone calls. i called my brother already, of course. the thing is, he's home alone now - mum is in estonia and dad is visiting my sister on the other side of the country. should i go there? i sort of want to, but then again, that would probably not be a good idea.. since i'm meeting my professor tomorrow morning for the first time in months. she'd understand, though, but it'd just be an overreaction. maybe i'll just ask him if he's ok and trust his answer.

http://www.vasabladet.fi/story.aspx?storyID=28104

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #351
Mari
Elf Lady

Nerdy *hugs*
Tough one. I hope one crazy person shooting people turns out to be enough and your brother will be fine. How old is he?
My sister wouldn't let me get near if something like this happened though. She'd tough it out and come telling me about it later. But you know your brother best.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #352
Nerdanel

He just turned 18, so it's not like he won't make it. It might be nice to just have someone around, though. I wouldn't expect him to talk about it much, I'd be happy just to hang out, play games and watch TV or something. But I probably won't go - it's a 5 hour train ride and I talked to him and he seems quite alright. It probably was just a stupid rumour that some kids had started, and I wouldn't care about it either.

Thanks, Mari, I hope we've had enough of these things too.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 09-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #353
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

We all do, Nerd.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 09-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #354
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Good to hear your brother's okay, Nerdy. When I was in high school we too had to evacuate one day because of a prank bomb threat. There had been a few others in that period so it likely wasn't real, but they didn't want to risk it and we were all sent home. I think the majority of the students wouldn't have minded staying or were particularly upset, but I remember the teachers were pretty frazzled.

VENT for now: I want to hit something. Perferably someone from that godforsaken pit of incompetence we call the head office.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:48 AM   #355
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I wish life didn't have to be so hard all the time. Like, every day SOMETHING seems to happen because someone doesn't do something and I have to pick up the slack on top of my already exhausting schedule, or something doesn't work out, or I screw something up...

And then today something happened that feels like it just wasn't fair. I hate getting hit in my weak spots . And the saddest thing is that it happened because someone is so nice... all at once I'm not so alone any more, and yet it just makes things even harder to deal with. I hate that.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #356
Mari
Elf Lady

Group work. I hate it. Especially if there is one person holding up the rest.
Trying to set up a groupmeeting to discuss this problem, but though the others say they are willing, I wouldn't be surprised if they let me handle the conversation making me play the bad guy.
I hate these situations!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #357
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Stuff is just... blah. And I have a horrible feeling that I just failed miserably at starting off the quarter on the right foot with a professor whose class I desperately need to do well in because he's one of exactly two professors I can ask for a reference come time to apply to grad. school and that time is going to be in roughly two-three weeks and it's going to be even more nerve-wracking to ask him because I've already asked (and pretty much gotten a flat no) if he would be interested in supervising an independent study in creative writing because the only other option is repeating the short story class I'm currently in but I can't not ask him because the only other professor I've had for more than a quarter is notoriously absent-minded and while I know he'll give me a good reference, I am reasonably certain he doesn't actually know my name. And mama is about to nag about the dishes. Blah.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-12-2008, 01:33 AM   #358
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Ouch. Hope you have better luck approaching the fellow. And I hope he is more receptive.

I feel like screaming, presently. Either that or tear into someone.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #359
Mari
Elf Lady

Willow that sucks. I hope he'll be fair >_<

*hands Sane a boxingball/sandbag to pummel*

Old 10-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #360
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Thanks guys. He will be fair, I'm certain of that.
The problem is more that he has very high standards which I know from the last time I had him and which I haven't managed to meet right from the start this quarter just through absentmindedness.

Have fun screaming, Sane.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Closed Thread