FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 11:55 PM   #341
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Erm... yes...

I always get Colin Firth, Colin Ferrel, and Will Farrel mixed up...
Dear God so do I. I kept trying to tell my friends that Colin Ferrel was going to play Alexander (blah ) but kept saying Will Ferrel instead.

But I did just see Colin Ferrel in a good movie called "The Recruit." His accent kept slipping in a few lines but he did a nice job. Great movie really.

I am hoping to see Phantom of the Opera soon. I am obsessed with musicals. Especailly ones by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:44 PM   #342
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Try to get "The In-Laws" with Peter Falk and Adam Arkin; it's the original and 100% more funny than the KD one.

Just saw "The Terminal" and Tom Hanks once more proves he can carry a film all by himself..well almost. A foreigner trapped by govn't rules makes due and overcomes; it is so well done.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #343
azalea
Long lost mooter

I saw and enjoyed Napoleon Dynamite. Hardly an Oscar contender, but a fun, quirky character study.

"'What are you doing after school today, Napoleon?'
'Whatever I feel like!!! Gosh!!!'"
Old 01-17-2005, 04:53 PM   #344
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I saw the Last Temptation of Christ on Friday.

Still stewing over it a bit. Mostly about how so many people who hadn't seen the film claimed to be offended by it. Watch the thing before you proclaim offense...sheesh.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #345
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I just saw Finding Neverland last night. It's a pretty darn good film, but I guess I've been watching so many foreign films and reading about surrealism lately, so I've been having trouble appreciating "normal" films...

But, I'm really looking forward to Tim Burton's direction of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Fatory, specially with Danny Elfman as composer

My DA page

Last edited by Embladyne : 01-17-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:16 PM   #346
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Saw Kate & Leopold last friday. Quite a funny movie. I rate it
Old 01-18-2005, 09:09 PM   #347
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Just saw Alexander...it was just okay, maybe not even that.

Angelina Jolie (in addition to being incredibly hot), gave the best performance of the film.

Her and Val Kilmer gave the only semblance of a "good" performance.

Christopher Plummer and Anthony Hopkins are both incredible actors, but given nothing to work with here.

And Colin Farrell has only a few moments that even come close to good.

Rosario Dawson's role will do nothing for her career, she has kinda cool breasts but...even that did nothing for me.

Also just saw Napoleon Dynamite and The Village, I loved the former, and was shocked (in a good way) by the latter, the ending blew my mind.

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 01-18-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:15 PM   #348
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod Felagund
Also just saw Napoleon Dynamite and The Village, I loved the former, and was shocked (in a good way) by the latter, the ending blew my mind.
Really? I think the ending dissapointed more people than it pleased (I fell into the dissapointed catagory).

Has anyone seen the extras on The Village DVD? That Indiana Shaymalan (argh, if I could spell....) movie is hilarious!

I just saw Sweet Dreams, a movie about Patsy Cline. Ugh. The only thing good about it is it proves once again that Ed Harris can play a class-A jerk extremely well. Is that really good?
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 01-19-2005, 02:13 PM   #349
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
I saw Lemony Snicket. I do like the style of narrator, very warm. Perhaps a little ruined bythe fact I had deja vu... and realised at the start of the last scene what was going to happen from then til the end... very weird.
I saw it too and liked it too. But maybe the reason that you had deja vu is that the last scene was predictable (and disappointing - come on, "know you are always loved?" Who talks like that? I wanted a proper dark ending.) But apart from that it was great, even just the way it all looked.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:09 PM   #350
Janny
The Blobbit

Yeah... I was a tad disappointed with the ending, but as I tend to say with these things - the company was good. Very cleverly done, Lady English, to slip in the criticism of cliche, but it was just a weird deja vu.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:07 AM   #351
Millane
The Dude

yeah went and saw Alexander today, very dissapointed. Not really a bad film but just such a let down. and from Oliver Stone makes me want to cry...
agree with pretty much everything FF said.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:09 PM   #352
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Saw Sky Captain and World of Boredom yesterday.

The moment it started I thought, "ahh no, don't let it look like this". There is a "glowy", "kinda-blurry" feel to the picture. Then suddenly everything started getting all Batman/Dick Tracy-like. Which was rubbish and pulled me out of the film. I was falling asleep at the 20 minute mark. I know it was 20 minutes because I looked at my watch.

Then I saw giant robots.

I tried various seating positions to become more comfortable. Nothing worked. I've never looked around a cinema so much before, examining the speakers and the lights on the steps in the centre of the theatre.

Somebody behind me woke me up by laughing. I think they were laughing by mistake, because there was nothing funny. Even though I slept through a quarter of the movie, I just know that there was no funniness.

Then I saw aeroplanes that flap their metal wings in order to fly.

I tried to sleep, but some explosions kept waking me up.

Then I saw strange creatures on an island. Everything was still blurry in a dreamlike way. Then I saw Jude Law punching metal things with his fists on his way to....nah, that would give the laughable story away.

I was so sleepy when I walked out of the cinema. Luckily my movie-going experience is subsidised slightly by my medical aid (as a sort of perk), so the horrible experience only cost me $2.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:25 PM   #353
Manveru
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millane
yeah went and saw Alexander today, very dissapointed. Not really a bad film but just such a let down. and from Oliver Stone makes me want to cry...
agree with pretty much everything FF said.
ya me too. i had such high expectations for it too. and that was my favourite part of my ancient history class last year. oh well, at least troy was good. cant wait for kingdom of heaven tho, looks really good
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Old 01-21-2005, 12:03 PM   #354
Thingol's new Wife
Hobbit

I just saw Paparazzi. It was ok. Could have been better.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:33 PM   #355
BeardofPants
the Shrike

An anime movie called "Tokyo Godfathers". It was really good!
Old 01-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #356
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

This week I saw "Comme un image". What a wonderful movie. I guess it's only playing in cinemas which show art house movies, but if you get the chance to watch it, do so.
There's not really a plot, but so much reality in it.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:35 PM   #357
Embladyne

I just watched a movie called Normal. I had seen the begining, and wanted to watch the rest. It is pretty darn good, and the best so far at sensitively representing the pains of being transexual...

My DA page
Old 01-22-2005, 11:01 AM   #358
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Just saw The Legend of Bagger Vance. Not bad. Will Smith and Matt Damon were good. My favorite part of the movie was Matt Damon's drinking speech- 'Every time you take a drink, it kills off a thousand brain-cells... The first thing to go are the sad cells, so you smile a lot. The next to go are the quiet cells, so you say everything real loud- but that doesn't matter much because the next ones to go are the stupid cells, and everything you say is real smart...' That was witty and very funny.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #359
Embladyne

I just watched a movie called "Russian Ark" Really beautiful, and it reminded me of why arrogant people really irritate me.
The film has no cuts, and is a single shot...which really helps tie the story all together, I believe.
I've only seen a few Russian films, and none of them were really what you could call "conventional" films but that didn't stop them from being accessable, or being wonderful experiences.

My DA page
Old 02-03-2005, 03:57 AM   #360
Millane
The Dude

The directors cut of the Professional, i love everything about this movie and in the director cut you see her wear the dress, which fulfils everything i wished in this movie...
Also Garden State today, i could find nothing to complain and had lots of things i love, such a plain movie which makes it so spectacular..
Going to see Seed of Chucky tonight, not really that enthused, id prefer to see Closer or Hundred million dollar baby, or GS again...