Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-26-2005, 11:01 PM   #341
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

previous post - appear!

*cancels magic invisibility post spell*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:41 PM   #342
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Your spell worked

The difference is that between betting that a specific number will come up on a roulette wheel or that A number (ANY number) will come up. We know A number will come up, because of the nature of the wheel. Because of environmental factors that have been observed, the odds of an ape-like creature, or a cat, evolving into SOMETHING over time is similarly high. But that a specific number (say, 5) will come up is relatively unlikely, just as the chance that an ape-like creature will become specifically a human as we know it, or that a cat will become a dog, is SPECIFICALLY unlikely.

Put another way, that evolution would come out exactly as it has is incredibly unlikely - but so is any other SPECIFIC result of evolution. But that evolution would produce SOMETHING is extremely likely.

And I am sure a cat will eventually evolve into something else. The odds that that something else will be specifically a dog, however, are infinitesimal.

Man descended from ape-like creatures via a similarly stupendous chain of events - but that didn't have a specific end in view. Evolution does not have ends in mind. We only think of this as how it "must be" or was "destined" because it is how it randomly ended up.

I hope that makes the difference clear.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:59 PM   #343
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
And we're supposed to read all of that?
Only if you want to actually learn.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:56 AM   #344
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
Don't we assume they've read the Entmoot Rules? Does that not in turn imply an ability to read?

Actually most members don't even know we have rules.

I know it sounds illogical but it's true. Most just join and post and never 'explore' the link or the posted stickies about rules.

Lastly, to quote Tony Randall of The Odd Couple: When you assume, you make an ass of u and me. ass/u/me.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:17 PM   #345
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

off topic

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:38 AM   #346
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

About the whole cat evolving into a dog thing... you can say a cat won't evolve into a dog without violating the Theory of Evolution (ToE). Why? Because according to ToE evolution takes place due to random mutation and selection over time. A cat can't evolve into a dog because cats and dogs already exist now.
A cat could evolve into a dog-like creature, it could even evolve into an animal that looks and behaves exactly like today's dog. This would occur some time in the future, when dogs have either evolved, not evolved, or died out.
By saying that cats could evolve into dogs, you would be saying that cats would evolve into the same species as dogs, that they would merge. Well, no. That's like saying your grandson could be your brother.

Maybe I misunderstood where you were going with that question R*an, but I don't see the point of it.

Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #347
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Cat->Dog is a hyperbole...
Of course, it's along the same lines as dinosaur->bird...
Neither of which has actually been observed happening. It is possible that "intermediate forms" are results of evolution...or maybe they are results of "niche specialization" a la ID...
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:46 PM   #348
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Actually most members don't even know we have rules.

I know it sounds illogical but it's true. Most just join and post and never 'explore' the link or the posted stickies about rules.
for every rule there is a loophole
Old 10-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #349
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Cat->Dog is a hyperbole...
Of course, it's along the same lines as dinosaur->bird...
Neither of which has actually been observed happening.
So because no one has witnessed a dinosaur "turning into" a bird that means we have to completely reject the theory of evolution? And what about the fact that fossil evidence and genetic evidence and a number of other forms of evidence (physical) can CURRENTLY be observed that seem to support this theory about dinosaurs?

Quote:
It is possible that "intermediate forms" are results of evolution...or maybe they are results of "niche specialization" a la ID...
Well if evolution can lead to "intermediate forms" why cant it lead to current forms?

Old 10-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #350
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Cat -> dog is not the same as dinosaur -> bird, because dinosaur -> bird is an older form going to a newer form, while cat -> dog is one form going to another contemporary form. It would be like dinosaur -> giant crocodile.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:14 PM   #351
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

it is all somewhat amusing when you think about it for very long
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #352
Curubethion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
So because no one has witnessed a dinosaur "turning into" a bird that means we have to completely reject the theory of evolution? And what about the fact that fossil evidence and genetic evidence and a number of other forms of evidence (physical) can CURRENTLY be observed that seem to support this theory about dinosaurs?
I'm not saying you must throw evolution out, just that you can't prove it this way. Yes, the theory seems to be supported, but wasn't that true about spontaneous generation in its time?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 10-03-2005, 02:43 PM   #353
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
but wasn't that true about spontaneous generation in its time?
yes, but that's the point... it was the commonly held belief 'till a better theory came along... a better one has not come along since evolution
Old 10-03-2005, 06:44 PM   #354
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

You don't throw out science because a better theory MIGHT come along... you only throw it out (or, at least, discount it) because a better one HAS come along. Spontaneous generation was a legitimate theory a long time ago... it is not now. Evolution is legitimate now, and will continue to be until a more comprehensive theory arrives.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:54 PM   #355
Curubethion

Which is, you admit, possible. Here's something to think about: in the days of spontaneous generation, it was the widely accepted view, and it took a few radical scientists, whose beliefs were widely despised, to change it. Is it possible that the IDers are the contemporary "radical scientists" who have it figured out?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #356
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well theyd need to actually show evidence for what they believe for anyone to actually see if their ideas match what can be studied. Instead they tend to just try to poke holes in evolution by saying stuff like well life is too complex.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #357
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

What IR said is basically right. That, and ID is an idea that's been around for a LONG time... it isn't really new.

And it isn't really testable. A nice article about that http://www.slate.com/id/2127054/
Old 10-03-2005, 11:21 PM   #358
olorin hamfast
Hobbit

3 spine sticklebax

If a 3 spine stickleback had a brain larger than a wee pebble, Im sure it would tell you all how proud it is to hear such a bubbly dialogue on this diabolical subject. Sticklebacks with 3 spines (dont go to church) have evolved in thier dead end street like ponds to grow fancy spines from which they deter predators from eating them, while other no spine sticklebax may be chomped down by even the slowest froggie. The spines developed over a very short time comparitvely to wings on bi pedal reptiles... some 5000 years vs 5 million or so. Ask Dr Gould, not Dr Phil.
olorin hamfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:06 AM   #359
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Which is, you admit, possible. Here's something to think about: in the days of spontaneous generation, it was the widely accepted view, and it took a few radical scientists, whose beliefs were widely despised, to change it. Is it possible that the IDers are the contemporary "radical scientists" who have it figured out?
no, because their theory depends upon an unprovable (thus unscientific) premise... "a creator"

if this creator can ever be observed, maybe... but 'till then, it aint science
Old 10-04-2005, 11:38 AM   #360
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

..what do you think those UFO's are!