Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #341
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hey, I guess that one's making the rounds - I just took it on another forum

(and got a perfect score )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #342
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Hey, Gwai, have a little mercy on us poor benighted heretics- the latest Pew quiz on religion shows that 40% of Catholics themselves don't understand the miracle of Holy Communion.

Atheists and agnostics scored highest.

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blog...ding_religion/

Take the quiz (warning- one question is almost a trick- I answered it wrong at first, but went back and corrected it before submitting, leaving with a perfect score -pride is the devil's favourite sin )

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us...edge/index.php
Oh, everyone knows Catholics are uneducated and unintelligent. Why else would they be Catholic? I would have thought more of the informed seculars.

On a more serious note, since this seems to be the anything goes thread these days, it seems an appropriate place for these moving words from Ellen DeGeneres, about the tragic death of Tyler Clementi.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 10-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #343
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

And, in balance, the atheist quiz- a little Americocentric.

http://allthingswildlyconsidered.blo...l#comment-form

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 10-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #344
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Wars, famine, poverty and other man-made catastrophies

In the past there were shamans and magically talented women. Then there were still a sort of unity in the will to heal and mend wounded and hurt people.

This changed with the advent of Christianity and Islam. The women were prosecuted but the men were not.

Powerhungry, greedy, religiously fanatic, war-mongering men have made the world into what it is today and the same kind of individuals are still running the world.

These persistant, quite mad, individuals wanted to steam-roll the belief that there is only one god and whether it is Allah or simply God, the result was the same.

People who had no interest in either variant of the entity was pressured and tortured because they would not relent and let themselves be herded into Christianity or Islam.

The Celts are a prime example. The Romans and their decendants, after they had abandoned their gods, was of the opinion that they must save the world from the evils of paganism.

Little did they ponder the will of the people who practiced their rites and ceremonies as they had done since time immemorial.

No, it was a question of taking it and not leaving it if you wanted to stay alive, which is an atrocious proposition for someone who has, as stated, no interest whatsoever in converting to this new belief.

Wars and atrocities has been and in many ways still are being perpetrated upon people percieved as being unrelenting and unteachable as regards to the mistaken belief that the religion of the perpetrators is the only acceptable one and everything else is herecy.

As long as these aforementioned men are running the world this will continue. There is no use in imagining a peaceful co-existance between the peoples of the world as long as the current power-structure is in place.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 10-02-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #345
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Merged into Multiculturalism thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
In the past there were shamans and magically talented women. Then there were still a sort of unity in the will to heal and mend wounded and hurt people.
I think that's a very idealised view of the past. Shamans and figures from early religions could just as easily have been powerhungry, greedy, religiously fanatic, war-mongering people. These early societies did not necessarily give equal rights based on sex, origin, or any other aspect. Nor did they necessarily live in harmony with each other or nature.

Quote:
The Celts are a prime example. The Romans and their decendants, after they had abandoned their gods, was of the opinion that they must save the world from the evils of paganism.
Hm, bad example, I think. And very oversimplified. The spread of christianity among the Celts off the mainland for starters was not always forceful or brutal. Sometimes both old and new religions lived side by side for a time. On top of that the early Celtic Church in Ireland had rather decent laws that even allowed women to divorce and get an allowance from their ex-husband.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #346
inked
Elf Lord

The state of Minnesota and multiculturalism:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vIt...layer_embedded

What will happen?

What should happen?

For extra credit, class, describe the dynamics of your answers to the above.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #347
Gwaimir Windgem

I'm wondering why Judaism gets a free pass. It is also noteworthy that Christianity, at least in its early stages when it was entering into the Greco-Roman world, in fact provided a number of benefits to women. EDIT: To the other GW.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 10-05-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #348
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
The state of Minnesota and multiculturalism:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vIt...layer_embedded

What will happen?

What should happen?

For extra credit, class, describe the dynamics of your answers to the above.
The case of the Somali cab-drivers was settled on appeal two years ago, when a law was upheld that any cabbie refusing to take a fare without good reason would be suspended. A quick Google/Yahoo search hasn't revealed any stories since 2008- do you have anything more recent?

My attitude to the Muslims refusing to handle pork or carry alcohol or dogs is the same as my reaction to pharmacists refusing to fill birth-control or morning-after prescriptions: if you can't fulfill the requirements of the job due to religious objections, find another job.

As to the khat (which I've chewed in Kenya) how dare those foreigners stick to their traditonal mild stimulants instead of switching to good All-American narcotics like alcohol, tobacco, pot, cocaine, or heroin ?

You know who else smuggles traditional drugs into your country? Taiwanese betel-nut chewers!

It's almost as if you're out there desperately looking for something to be offended by.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 10-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #349
inked
Elf Lord

Hmm, I believe they came here and maintaining separatist societies and trying to get by with it rather than acculturating was the point. I note that certain wide-open societies in Europe are seeing the folly of their ways on these matters whilst others are contemplating the introduction of sharia to accomodate further. Status in yours?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 10-07-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: speelin' as usual
Old 10-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #350
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Actually, the Muslim immigrant population in my town has tripled in the last two years- the shawarma stand did so well that Khabir brought his brother and cousin down to help. If this demographic trend continues....

Old 10-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #351
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well GM you know what they say about minorities in large numbers... One minority on the corner is a defiance. Two is a meeting. Three is a gang. Someone call 911...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #352
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I know of some immigrant groups in my community who maintain separatist societies and insist on special privileges for their foreign traditions....me, for example. Like many Westerners in Taiwan, I insist on having Christmas off every year, even though it's not a holiday, forcing my employers to accomodate my traditional beliefs, just like the anti-bacon handlers in Minnesota.

On a more serious level, I belonged to a group of foreign fathers married to Taiwanese women who led a long and eventually successful struggle to gain citizenship rights for our children, even though that was in violation of thousands of years of Chinese culture which only traces lineage through paternal descent. We lobbied, demonstrated, tried to bring pressure from
our home governments, and caught a lot of flak on the "love it or leave it" ground from local conservatives.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #353
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

What would you do to an immigrant group that caused a tripling of crime and a seven-fold increase in murders in a space of seven years? or a tripling of welfare exenditure?

A group that had its own customs, often languages, lived in its own neighborhoods, had its own religion which was opposed to the very principles of the US Constitution, insisted their children could not marry other Americans outside their faith, and gave allegiance to a foreign dictator?

I refer, of course, to Catholics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_Nothing

Last edited by GrayMouser : 10-12-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #354
Gwaimir Windgem

Yes, hello!

Oh, did we do that?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #355
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Yea- and the response was far more violent than anything against the Muslims- so far, anyway.

The biggest massacre ever instigated by the KKK was against Italian Catholic immigrants, not blacks, but there was plenty of anti-Catholic violence to go round. In the Mid-West, Catholics were more of a target of the Klan than African-Americans.

Last edited by GrayMouser : 10-12-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #356
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Though it's true Europe seems to have a greater problem integrating its Muslim population- higher numbers, from a more uneducated and lower-skilled group, closer contacts with the homeland.

So, yea, if they feel comfortable slowing down the numbers, fine.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:26 AM   #357
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

The problem with that is that it's bad for business, as well as being inhumane.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #358
inked
Elf Lord

Notice the claim being made:

"ethicist Dr Leslie Cannold writing in the (Sydney) Sun-Herald. ‘Opponents of dying with dignity will tell you that the core moral principle in a civilized society is respect for life. This is outdated tosh. The central moral value in a modern multicultural society is autonomy, the right of individuals to determine the course of their own lives and deaths according to their own needs and values.’ "

Is this a correct assessment of the "central moral value in a modern multicultural society"?

Consider well the words "individuals" and "society". Is there a link if Cannold is correct?
Old 10-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #359
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

No, it isn't.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #360
inked
Elf Lord

Hey, remember the outrage over the Florida guy and "Burn a Koran Day" that NEVER HAPPENED?

What about this? http://www.nypost.com/p/news/interna...#ixzz12DcmBJM1

Goose/Gander? Gander/Goose? Gander/Gander? Goose/Goose?

I'm waiting for Obama to weigh in on this like the other. And everyone else!
Closed Thread