http://www.stephenfry.com/

Sweet!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #342
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I am having a crappy week mentally, already, but I just gave my mother a voice lesson that went SUPER well and I can't even say how much that's lifted me up.

Now that I've started being more focused and selective of the area of her vocal range that I want to work through, we've made quite a lot of progress already. I've decided that from the Middle C to the F an octave and a half above that is all of the range she 'needs' for now.

I keep forgetting that I'm training a choir singer, not a future opera singer. The eyeroll is for myself, btw--I've let all of the technical information I have get in the way of a few very simple facts:

1. Having three octaves is totally pointless if every single note within that range is difficult to sing.

2. The choir music she is singing covers a range of usually less than an octave and a half.

3. Covering an octave and a half takes half the time that covering three does. So I can spend twice as much time covering the notes she NEEDS and making those comfortable and beautiful rather than getting half the results for things she doesn't need.

4. I'm tired, and she's definitely tired, after a long day. I was letting the lessons run too long for the both of us... keeping it to 20-30 minutes is much more than enough. We get more done, progress wise.

So, we've started again after our little... what? Two month break? I think it's been about that long. I think our previous experiences, as well as watching my fellow students so much, has taught me a lot about what to expect and how to work with my mom.

I can't wait to start giving my oldest sister and dad some lessons soon.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #343
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Not a bad day!

The sun is shining, the air smells like spring, I got 5/5 in my owl essay that I struggled with for a while, and I just found out that I got my first scientific grant for my master's thesis!8D Not the amount I had applied for, but I didn't expect that either. Hopefully my other applications do well as well.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 03-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #344
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

not fancy, but sweet.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May

Last edited by sisterandcousinandaunt : 03-11-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: heck, why isn't it there?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #345
katya
Elven Maiden

I finally beat Final Fantasy VII : Crisis Core. It wasn't very hard at all (though there's lots of hard side quest things) but it's still satisfying. But, I'm mostly happy because the game was just so damn good! I cried a couple times, and the combat system was excellent too. I'm definitely pre-ordering the English version tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #346
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Through a friend on Facebook I got to see pictures of a bride (the bride being my friends friend) and when looking a bit closer at the groom, I suddenly discovered that he someone I used to go to church with in Japan! What are the odds? They got married in Thailand. Such beautiful pics. These little coincidences make me very happy.
Now where did I leave his address again...? *scurries off to find the address to send a card*
That is just wild!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #347
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Waved out the parents this morning, so now I'm HOOOME ALONE! Woohoo! The house all to myself for the next three days. Well, all to myself, if you don't count the three cats and the over two dozen of reptiles that have to be fed and cared for. Still... Mwahahaha!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #348
Mari
Elf Lady

Hehe, yay! I was just ruing the fact that I would be alone this weekend Have fun! Anything special planned? Monty Python Marathon or something?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 03-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #349
Nautipus
Kraken King

I'll be at my Dad's this weekend (I havnt seen him in almost three months), so I'm really happy.

Earniel: I spend most of my time (that I'm in the house) alone. Have fun, yeah?

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Old 03-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #350
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I can't imagine what anyone is thinking, leaving you kids in a house alone. Hasn't anyone seen 'Risky Business"?

FROG PARTY AT EARNIELS!

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 03-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #351
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Hehe, yay! I was just ruing the fact that I would be alone this weekend Have fun! Anything special planned? Monty Python Marathon or something?
First feed half this zoo and then clean the house.

But after that, there's going to be a long soak in the tub, and a few video tapes I still have to see, accompanied by a bag of chips. Tomorrow two friends are coming over for a long-planned visit to see Pirates of the Carribean III. They'll bring pizza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautipus View Post
Earniel: I spend most of my time (that I'm in the house) alone. Have fun, yeah?
Hahah. It doesn't quite happen much that I've got the house for a weekend to myself. Last time was about 5 years ago, in fact that was the last time we sent the parents on city trip. So fun shall definitely be had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
FROG PARTY AT EARNIELS!
Funny you should mention that. We've seen the first frogs on the year this very week. One was male and was plucked from under a car on the road. The other one arrived two days later, got stuck in the swimming pool and is a female, thick with eggs. With luck the male decided to hang around in the pond and we'll get spawn. Wheee! Dozens of tiny frogs! We'll have frogs, lots of frogs! Woohoo!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #352
katya
Elven Maiden

It's the weekend! And not just any weekend- there's a whole slew of holidays coming up! Today is White Day in Japan (know it, Mari?), which is like the counterpart to Valentine's Day. On V-day, the girls give chocolate to the boys, and if the boys like them they reciprocate on White Day. Ideally, anyway. I saw mostly girls giving "tomo-choco" (friend chocolate) to their friends on V-day and that was about it. Today is also Pi day, I realized earlier. 3/14, 3.14? I don't know how to make that one very exciting though.

Also coming up is Ides of March (which I got into last year when I was taking HS101), St. Patrick's Day, the vernal equinox, and Easter. I love holidays so I'll pretty much celebrate them all whenever possible.

Happy White Day and Pi day everyone!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #353
Mari
Elf Lady

White day? Oh yeah! That's today! But I didn't get anything last year, because it was vacation and everyone was away from school. Us girls did the tomo-choco thing on Valentines day though. It was the first time I ever got something

A little homage to this great Japanese invention, have one!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #354
katya
Elven Maiden

Oh, thank you! And for you, Mari, and anyone else who wants some

Old 03-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #355
Mari
Elf Lady

I went out to shop for the first time in months today. I even bought a forestgreen sweater/t-shirt/whatever you call it! And a new pianobook. With fingering, so perhaps I'll finally start making progress now. And a DVD called "He knew he was right" from a novel by A. Trollope. I've never heard of him, but it's situated in Victorian England. Which is besides the Russo-Japanese War another period that greatly interests me. I'm such a history geek
This was a great little outing

Old 03-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #356
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Through a friend on Facebook I got to see pictures of a bride (the bride being my friends friend) and when looking a bit closer at the groom, I suddenly discovered that he someone I used to go to church with in Japan! What are the odds? They got married in Thailand. Such beautiful pics. These little coincidences make me very happy.
Now where did I leave his address again...? *scurries off to find the address to send a card*
Unbelievable, but true: it happened again! Only this time I found out that two very close acquaintances of mine married eachother in the church where I used to go in Japan. I saw so many familiar (and happy!) faces in the pictures, made me wanna go right back there!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #357
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm super excited... basically one more month and then I can get my freaking hair cut. GAWD I hate it so much. It's so thick that even heavy gel don't really make it lay flat, it just wants to bush out and up like some kind of retarded white-fro. One more month!!!

Plus at about that same time I can hopefully start working. While I'm not looking forward to the actual... you know... having to work thing... At least it means I'll be able to worry about money just a tiny bit less, and I'll be able to take out a smaller loan when I have to do that next semester.

I'm gonna apply to all of the local book stores and pray something turns up. This music degree in progress has to be good for SOMETHING other than its sheer sex appeal :P.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #358
Mari
Elf Lady

(Why can't you have a haircut now? )

Old 03-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #359
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning, the Imperial Edition

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 03-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #360
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I ran across that a while back; it looked really, really funny.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Closed Thread