Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #341
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

You mean the results that the liberals have become the greatest party, or that Wilders won a lot more seats than in the last election?

I'm pretty sure I will dislike our election result. Well, maybe not the actual result, but what the political parties will do with it, definitely. 'Democratic parties' my eye.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #342
Mari
Elf Lady

Wilders never participated before actually. Not in the national elections. And yeah, I was shocked to learn how many seats he'd gotten. But the idea that CDA could likely join forces with him... is beyond me. Though I guess we could use a few strong politicians to keep him in check.

What disappointed me though, was the decline of (semi)religious seats. Not just the CDA lost seats, the CU (which I voted for) also lost one. I always thought the CDA was a very nice balancing force. They kept the CU nutters in place, but also the right-wing nutters.

I hope Belgium will get a stable government now. The results of an enquete saying that most French won't mind Wallonie joining them is probably not going to help though? >_<

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 06-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #343
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
What disappointed me though, was the decline of (semi)religious seats.
Could be a result of people being very disappointed with the Church and how it handled its scandals, I reckon. I've been reading that people are signing out of the Church in their hundreds. (I never knew you could sign out from your Church, we learn something every day...)

Quote:
I hope Belgium will get a stable government now. The results of an enquete saying that most French won't mind Wallonie joining them is probably not going to help though? >_<
Hah! The joke would be on them if they tried! But I can't see any Walloon who thinks about it for a moment, wanting to join France. Here they can practically be a ruling minority, still can cry to Europe about being oppressed Ã*nd pocket billions every year at the same time. In France they'd have none of that. I know what I'd choose.

What will be an obstacle is the Walloons demanding to annex several Flemish communities into Wallonia so they can have a border with Brussels. Someone aught to have told her colonialism is so last century.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #344
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

OMG!!! YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *falls over*

Guess what happened at Tai Chi last night?

I found out.... omg this is so freakin' excellent you guys......... the way you step in Tai Chi?

It's called a "weave." Like from Wheel of Time.

I'M GONNA BE LEARNING WEAVES, YOU GUYS!!!!!! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I'm not gonna lie... I almost started laughing when the guy said they were called weaves, but that would have been inappropriate. So I just imagined throwing a party inside of my head .

Also Tai Chi just got even more excellent. >.> Class totally kicked my butt last night... we just kept working on the same things as last time (shifting our weight from side to side, basically, and stepping forwards at an angle), but this time he showed us how to do it while putting all of the weight into our legs... I had thought we were last time, but apparently not. O_o It's quite challenging and you have to have -really- strong legs... you can fudge it and use your hips to carry some of the weight, but when you do it correctly and put all of your weight into your legs it's really difficult. I love it.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #345
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Could be a result of people being very disappointed with the Church and how it handled its scandals, I reckon. I've been reading that people are signing out of the Church in their hundreds. (I never knew you could sign out from your Church, we learn something every day...)
Not sure about Catholic ones, but Protestant ones you definitely can sign out of.
You automatically become a member of the church you frequent when you turn 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn
Hah! The joke would be on them if they tried! But I can't see any Walloon who thinks about it for a moment, wanting to join France. Here they can practically be a ruling minority, still can cry to Europe about being oppressed Ã*nd pocket billions every year at the same time. In France they'd have none of that. I know what I'd choose.

What will be an obstacle is the Walloons demanding to annex several Flemish communities into Wallonia so they can have a border with Brussels. Someone aught to have told her colonialism is so last century.
Haha, the former is actually quite familiar to me. Friesland sometimes does the same and as a country we use Flevoland to get some EU-money.

If they want more land, they should get working on a spaceprogramme to claim parts of the moon.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #346
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
"And we're back on M.O.O.T. 102,2 with the Moots playing a version of this classic contemporary tune..."

Posting on the Moot
The place is full of soot
Over in that corner
Hector does find the loot

In other words
It is true
In other words
Inked is quite blue

Start a lot of threads
Let me type for ever more
Put them in the archive
They'll be a part of the store

In other words
It is true
In other words
Inked is blue

Start a lot of threads
Let me type for ever more
Put them in the archive
They'll be a part of the store

In other words
It is true
In other words

In other words
Inked is

...blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCW9Hey6IVY

"And here is another of them good old tunes, slightly changed..."

Start spreading the news,
I'm posting today.
I want to be a part of it -
Entmoot, Entmoot.

These spammer threads
Are longing to stay
And step around admin's control,
Entmoot, Entmmoot.

I want type posts in the forum,
That doesn't sleep,
To find I'm king of the hill- ah-
Top of the heap.

My little post count
Been raised to the roof
I'm gonna make a make my mark on it
On old Enmoot.

If I can post just there,
I wont post anywhere
It's up to you,
Entmoot, Entmoot.

Entmoot, Entmoot!

I want type posts in the forum,
That doesn't sleep,
To find I'm king of the hill,
Head of the list,
Cream of the crop
At top of the heap.

My little post count
Been raised to the roof
I'm gonna make a make my mark on it
On old Enmoot.

If I can post just there,
I wont post anywhere
It's up to you,
Entmoot, Entmoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV02n...eature=related

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 06-12-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #347
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe View Post
Thanks for stating the possibility that people might actually have at least some amount of respect for me here. But in my mind, I haven't earned any respect.
Everyone should be treated with respect whether they've earned some or not. Some earn some extra, but they are not the only ones who should be shown some.

I hope we manage to show everyone respect here on Entmoot.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #348
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Not sure about Catholic ones, but Protestant ones you definitely can sign out of.
You automatically become a member of the church you frequent when you turn 18.
I would assume it's Catholic churches; at least over here, all the abuse is by Catholics (at least, that's all we hear about), so Protestants would have relatively little reason to sign out.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #349
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Ingwe, my friend, if respect here had to be earned, then you have earned it to the fullest. We are good people, the Mooters, and you are definitely one of us.

best Gw
Old 06-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #350
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
I would assume it's Catholic churches; at least over here, all the abuse is by Catholics (at least, that's all we hear about), so Protestants would have relatively little reason to sign out.
Well, it hit the Protestant churches as well. There have also been a few similar cases uncovered in 2 German Protestant convents/orphanages. It's terrible. I really don't understand how anyone could do that sort of thing.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #351
katya
Elven Maiden

I suppose I'm officially part of the Catholic church? I wonder. I guess there's not much of a reason to bother signing off of a church until something like the scandals happen that really make you feel passionate about it. I hadn't thought of it before.

My poor kitty. He has a cone on his head. He's been really good about letting me fix his bandages and such though. Just now I actually tightened the loose stitch for him and cleaned and rebandaged his wound and he just lay there and let me do it. I think he's gotten used to being miserable. I hope he heals up fast.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #352
Midge
Faithful Gardener

How you know you married the best man in the world:

You go to Petsmart.
You find a cute puppy.
You adopt the cute puppy.
Your husband has been reading Norse mythology and wants to name the puppy Ffauffner, so he can get a cat and name it Sigurd, bane of Ffauffner.
You hate the name Ffauffner.
Your best-husband-in-the-world relents and asks if you want to name the puppy Huan.

You say yes and get really super glad you married him.

The End.

True story.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 06-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #353
katya
Elven Maiden

If I had a puppy I would probably name it Huan too. But I don't plan on ever getting a puppy. I don't even want to get another cat, whenever the one I have now is gone. But if I had a puppy, the name Huan is pretty much the best name it could ever have.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #354
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
How you know you married the best man in the world:

You go to Petsmart.
You find a cute puppy.
You adopt the cute puppy.
Your husband has been reading Norse mythology and wants to name the puppy Ffauffner, so he can get a cat and name it Sigurd, bane of Ffauffner.
You hate the name Ffauffner.
Your best-husband-in-the-world relents and asks if you want to name the puppy Huan.

You say yes and get really super glad you married him.

The End.

True story.

*throws popcorn* Booo! Boo---... oh... hang on.... that was actually a pretty good story. >.> Sorry... instinct took over.

Tell another one!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #355
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

SoooOOOOOooooooooooOoooooo... today I was reading a book on Tai Chi, and it made a rather bold statement . Something along the lines of, "If you line up the bottom four vertebrae in your back, you will be intelligent, clear headed, and quick witted. Animals are dumb because they have horizontal spines, so it super sucks to be them cuz humans are smart because we have straight, vertical backs." Keep in mind I'm paraphrasing .

Then I was like, "BUT WAIT, WHAT ABOUT SHARKS?!" and my parents reminded me that sharks don't really have spines, and I was like, "Oh.... lame. Never mind."

... and that's all. For now. Stay tuned . This book is whack... it's sort of pseudo-scienceish.... there are some very true statements in there (like about the benefits of deep breathing) and some veeeeery sketchy statements .
Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #356
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah, a yoga book I was reading was like that too. Yoga definitely has a lot of health benefits, but there's some pseudo-science-y stuff thrown in there too. Also, I'm sure a lot of the book is not well thought out or researched. For example, saying that Mother Theresa practiced a certain type of yoga (not the physical, moving around in poses kind of yoga) and was so selfless and wonderful. Well, that's popular opinion and all that stuff sounds real nice, but I have my own opinions on Mother Theresa and I don't think everything everyone repeats about her or yoga are repeated very responsibly. It's like "there was a study one time that sorta suggested that this pose might do this or that" or maybe "the mystics who have been doing this stuff for years know that __" and repeat it like it's absolutely true. So you have to take the stuff with a grain of salt. I love yoga and tai chi but I'm no hippie.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #357
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
If I had a puppy I would probably name it Huan too. But I don't plan on ever getting a puppy. I don't even want to get another cat, whenever the one I have now is gone. But if I had a puppy, the name Huan is pretty much the best name it could ever have.
If it weren't a mix, and had papers, we probably would have put on the papers that his full name was "Huan, the hound of Valinor". That is the BEST best name he could have. But he doesn't have papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
*throws popcorn* Booo! Boo---... oh... hang on.... that was actually a pretty good story. >.> Sorry... instinct took over.

Tell another one!!!
I'll let you know when I have another one. I was pretty darn excited about it, I know that!
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:01 AM   #358
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

A slightly inappropriate name for a pet :D

Everybody I know who has a dog usually calls him "Rover" or "Spot". I call mine Sex. Now, Sex has been very embarrassing to me. When I went to the City Hall to renew the dog's license, I told the clerk that I would like a license for Sex. He said, "I would like to have one too!" Then I said, "But she is a dog!" He said he didn't care what she looked like. I said, "You don't understand... I have had Sex since I was nine years old." He replied, "You must have been quite a strong boy." When I decided to get married, I told the minister that I would like to have Sex at the wedding. He told me to wait until after the wedding was over. I said, "But Sex has played a big part in my life and my whole world revolves around Sex." He said he didn't want to hear about my personal life and would not marry us in his church. I told him everyone would enjoy having Sex at the wedding. The next day we were married at the Justice of the Peace. My family is barred from the church from then on.

When my wife and I went on our honeymoon, I took the dog with me. When we checked into the motel, I told the clerk that I wanted a room for me and my wife and a special room for Sex. He said that every room in the motel is a place for sex. I said, "You don't understand. ... Sex keeps me awake at night." The clerk said, "Me too!"

One day I entered Sex in a contest. But before the competition began, the dog ran away. Another contestant asked me why I was just looking around. I told him that I was going to have Sex in the contest. He said that I should have sold my own tickets. "You don't understand," I said, "I hoped to have Sex on TV." He called me a show off.

When my wife and I separated, we went to court to fight for custody of the dog. I said, "Your Honor, I had Sex before I was married but Sex left me after I was married." The Judge said, "Me too!"

Last night Sex ran off again. I spent hours looking all over for her. A cop came over and asked me what I was doing in the alley at 4 o'clock in the morning. I said, "I'm looking for Sex." - My case comes up next Thursday.

Well now I've been thrown in jail, been divorced and had more damn troubles with that dog than I ever foresaw. Why just the other day when I went for my first session with the psychiatrist, she asked me, "What seems to be the trouble?" I replied, "Sex has been my best friend all my life but now it has left me for ever. I couldn't live any longer so lonely." and the doctor said, "Look mister, you should understand that sex isn't a man's best friend so get yourself a dog."
Old 06-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #359
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

That's hilarious, Greywolf .

I don't wanna be up, right now. O_o Ugh. It's too early for a Sunday morning. I wanna go back to sleep and then go to church at noon like a normal person, rather than go to my extremely cushy job where all I have to do is sing three services and they give me copious amounts of money, tell me how wonderful I am, and occasionally feed me.

.... but I mean anything sounds good when you put it that way, I guess. Lets focus on the fact that I want to go back to bed!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #360
katya
Elven Maiden

I'm glad I'm awake and more of less coming out of the haze of exhaustion that I've been living in for the past week. Between going to shows in Chicago and staying up until morning and trying to fix my cat and staying up all night worrying about him my sleep schedule has been crap. Not to mention very poor nutrition lately due to not having any energy to cook. But I finally feel halfway awake now. Coffee helps.