Old 12-11-2003, 05:19 PM   #322
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

No.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:58 PM   #323
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

I think it was 13.
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Old 12-11-2003, 06:00 PM   #324
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirinki54
I think it was 13.
i'm pretty sure you're right

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:22 PM   #325
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Yes. I always claim that Sam became especially proliferous because of close encounter with Galadriel´s "fertilizer".

Next issue:
What king of Arthedain travelled on a sled?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Old 12-11-2003, 06:25 PM   #326
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

We know Arvedui did... at least once!
Old 12-11-2003, 06:30 PM   #327
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Correct. I wonder if he also tried ice-skating?
Old 12-13-2003, 02:04 AM   #328
Valandil

Theoden

They probably had time to learn ALL those winter sports!

OK... What were the Barrowdowns called, of old?
Old 12-14-2003, 03:49 PM   #329
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
They probably had time to learn ALL those winter sports!

OK... What were the Barrowdowns called, of old?
Tyrn Gorthad?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-14-2003, 11:52 PM   #330
Valandil

Theoden

Tyrn Gorthad is correct! You're up to bat, Dunedain.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:25 AM   #331
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

When Aragorn first saw Arwen, what were his first words to her?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-15-2003, 06:08 AM   #332
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Tinuviel?
Old 12-15-2003, 01:56 PM   #333
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Tinuviel?
Yup!

"For a moment Aragorn gazed in silence, but fearing that she would pass away and never be seen again, he called to her crying, Tinúviel, Tinúviel! even as Beren had done in the Elder Days long ago."

--Linaewen
Old 12-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #334
Valandil

Theoden

Hey gang,

Not to seem too impatient (or 'hasty'!), but should we have maybe a 3-day (full 72 hours) limit to get a question posted once someone has gotten a green light? Then after that, it's an all-comers game for the next post?

I understand it's easy to forget (Edit: I've done it myself!) where you've given an answer - so there's no bad feelings associated. Just wonder if that'll be a nice way to keep the thread moving. I also suggest that after 2 days, someone do a 'courtesy PM' to the one with the right to post, if that's possible. I'll PM The Gaffer right now...

Maybe this would help in the other trivia threads as well?

- Val

Last edited by Valandil : 12-17-2003 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:37 PM   #335
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Hey gang,

Not to seem too impatient (or 'hasty'!), but should we have maybe a 3-day (full 72 hours) limit to get a question posted once someone has gotten a green light? Then after that, it's an all-comers game for the next post?

I understand it's easy to forget (Edit: I've done it myself!) where you've given an answer - so there's no bad feelings associated. Just wonder if that'll be a nice way to keep the thread moving. I also suggest that after 2 days, someone do a 'courtesy PM' to the one with the right to post, if that's possible. I'll PM The Gaffer right now...

Maybe this would help in the other trivia threads as well?

- Val
I agree.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:39 AM   #336
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Sorry for the delay, folks; been too busy of late to get on the moot.

I agree too; maybe in those cases it should revert to the last person to ask the next one.

What was Rohan called before the Rohirrim settled there?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:33 AM   #337
Valandil

Theoden

That would be 'Calenardhon' - eh?
Old 12-19-2003, 09:28 AM   #338
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Nicely done. Was that too easy??

Your go, V.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:52 AM   #339
Valandil

Theoden

I wouldn't say 'too easy' - some things some of us will know, other things others will know... still others, just about anyone would have to look up!

OK - my question: Once the hobbits of the Shire gave up looking for the return of a king, of what would they use the expression, "When the King comes back."?
Old 12-19-2003, 06:48 PM   #340
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Are you asking what they meant when using the expression? If so, the answer is "never".

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Closed Thread