Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 10:49 PM   #321
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I don't have HoME 7 so I can't tell you, but it sure sounds good

Oh, I just remembered Christopher has a few different characters than JRRT, so it must be one of his new characters. Is it for the "C"? I'll try to find Christopher's special characters and describe it for you. (and he changes his 'i' and 'e' vowel marks around, too - did you notice that?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-26-2002, 11:03 PM   #322
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Yes, it is for the 'C', if I guessed the word correctly. It looks like a backwards C. I did notice he changes his i and e around. I found I had to write out the whole word sometimes and then try to guess what it was. Like he had ets for its.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:07 PM   #323
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

The CRT symbols that are new are a c-looking thing for 's', and a straight up-and-down line (like a long carrier for a vowel) for 'h'. What does the unknown character look like? Is it "unknown", then 'a' over 'l', then 'e' over 'n', then 'b', then 'e' over 'l'? (if that makes sense...)

As I think about it more, I bet it's the 'c'-looking symbol (standing for 's'), because there is no Tengwa for 'c', since it is pronounded either 's' or 'k'. But then it would translate "salenbel", though- hmmm.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-26-2002, 11:18 PM   #324
TinuvielChild
Padawan

During math class, I write random things in Tengwar instead of paying attention. Lately I've been writing out the Galadriel monologue from the beginning of the FotR movie...yeah. Much funness. Except when Mr. Deveney catches me... TC tired. Babbling.

Oh, thanks, RÃ*an, for correcting me on my p-b-t-d stems! Now my Tengwar looks right. Before it looked just weird and stilted. Now it's all purty. Actually, are the stems like that for the k-g series as well? Because that's how I've been writing them lately.

And 'shibby' is just my word for cool.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-26-2002, 11:21 PM   #325
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

The unknown character is actually more like a comma. The word is unknown symbol, a, l, i, m, b, i, l. Ooops I made a mistake, it's caleMbel. If Christopher interchanges i and e, then I suppose I am correct in Calembel. It took me a while to find a word like that in the book, because I havn't finished reading it yet.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:36 PM   #326
Rían

Yes, #s 3, 4, 7 and 8 (ch, k, j, g) also have the bow resting on the line. I'm glad you like it better! I do, too. I thought that maybe you just liked doing them that way, but they always looked kind of like they were going to fall over to me

Sorry cass, I missed your post while I was typing, when you said it looks like a backwards 'C'. I see it now. Well, I'm stumped, I've never seen it before that I can remember. But CRT does make up his own sometimes, so that must be it.

I wonder what Calembel is? Is it in the appendix? Is it another name for Parth Galen? The only thing I can find that's even close is an entry in the Sil index, "elements in Quenya and Sindarin names", where "calen" or "galen" is the usual Sindarin word for 'green', and they list Parth Galen as an example. What is Calembel in the book?

Old 11-26-2002, 11:40 PM   #327
Rían

Wait - just to be sure, it isn't #30, is it? the JRRT alternate for 's'? That actually looks like a backwards comma.

Old 11-26-2002, 11:47 PM   #328
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

It was Calen-bel, but Tolkien changed it to Calembel. I'm not up to that part of the book, but in the index it says Calenbel is the lawn beneath Amon Hen, so it is another name for Parth Galen. It also has Calembel as a town in Gondor, which doens't make sense from what I've interpreted. I'm pretty sure it's Calembel, from the defintion I just gave and from the fact my interpretation says it is beside the Anduin. Tolkien kept changing words around in his rough drafts, so its probably Calembel/Calenbel.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:54 PM   #329
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Wait - just to be sure, it isn't #30, is it? the JRRT alternate for 's'? That actually looks like a backwards comma.
Ooops missed your post! I thought it could be that, but Christopher tended to use number 29 for s. You could be right, except their is no mention of salembel in the index, but perhaps you are supposed to pronounce it like that - not like a k which I am used to (like Celeborn being pronounced as Keleborn).
Old 11-26-2002, 11:55 PM   #330
Rían

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for looking that up! I bet CRT made up a special character that stood for "C", since there was no "C" in JRRT's English mode Tengwar. JRRT does make some non-phonetic concessions to English, like the final 'y' vowel symbol, even though the sound of final 'y' is a long 'e'. Also, the dot under a tengwa that indicates a silent final 'e'. (OMGOODNESS, don't let your sister see this post! She'll think I'm totally addicted I really do have a life outside of Tengwar, really )

I was thinking of running over to a bookstore tomorrow and treating myself to PoME, if they have it in paperback, so I'll take a peek at Treason of Is. while I'm there.

Old 11-26-2002, 11:58 PM   #331
Rían

How funny! We keep missing each other's posts while we're typing! I just saw your last one, where you missed my last one!

Well, I better get off now anyway - gotta do some kitchen clean-up! Happy Tengwar-ing, everyone

(BTW, I had a terrible time changing over to Keleborn - when I first read the books years ago, I pronounced it "Seleborn". Didi you guys do that, too? Kind of like how people say "Seltic" instead of "Keltic" for "Celtic".)

Old 11-27-2002, 12:10 AM   #332
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

You really should read the history of the lord of the rings. It's interesting to see how Tolkien changed things during the writing of the LOTR. He kept changing Aragorns name to Trotter, Ingold, Elfstone. Plus he was considering Frodo having a wart on his chin (made me laugh) and Aragorn killing Boromir (I actually cried out no! when I read that).

I sometimes say Sellaborn and the other day I said Sore-ron for Sauron - very naughty of me. Sorry to be OT.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:35 PM   #333
Rían

I would LOVE to read it! I'm working on getting all the books, but it's rather pricey, so I have to go slowly. I'm pretty sure I'll get PoME next, that one sounds good, then maybe WoTJ - what do you recommend? (I have UT, BoLT 2, MR now)

OK, here's something for you guys to translate - if you post a translation, please "spoiler" it out so others can work on it, too. Note for newer Tengwar writers - I have 3 s-curls in this note, and they're all off of Tengwa #25 (r). (BTW, I always use #25 for my r's, because I like the different look of it, as opposed to #21 for r). So it just means add an 's' after the tengwa. S-curls are lots of fun, and you can get really individual with them.

I also have some doubling marks, like in the first word. It just means to double the consonant.

Also, I've pretty much switched my s's from 30 to 29. I like how it looks better.

Good luck! Let me know what you come up with
Attached Images
File Type: gif newtng2.gif (7.6 KB, 20 views)

Old 11-27-2002, 11:20 PM   #334
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Rian here it goes (I will try to do it without my cheat sheet!):

Hello new tengwar writers, I am very glad to meet you. I hope some of you have scanners so we can see your writing. Well have a nice day. Elvishly yours, Rian.

I did need some quick checks of my cheat sheet to translate. To answer you: unfortunately I don't have one. I hope this is right!

Last edited by cassiopeia : 11-27-2002 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:25 PM   #335
TinuvielChild
Padawan

As usual, I'm one of the first ones to translate...

Hello new Tengwar writers! I am very glad to meet you. I hope some of you have scanners so we can see your writing. Well, have a nice day! Elvishly yours, RÃ*an

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-28-2002, 02:56 AM   #336
Rían

Cass and TC - you both get A+++++++

I sure wish more people had scanners I love seeing different "handwriting". Oh well - are there scanners at libraries?

Old 11-28-2002, 08:07 PM   #337
Celebrian
Enting

I have a scanner, but it isn't hooked up yet. As soon as it is I will see if I can figure out how to use it right. I don't think libraries have scanners, but i never looked.
I have got my sister (her user name is Telperion) writing Tengwar now. She used to bug me about it but then she asked me where I got my information! I think she finally got fed up because I was writing her notes she couldn't understand, and she has always wanted to learn some kind of elvish, but the spoken kind looks really hard.

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:12 AM   #338
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Not sure if this will work...written in a dry erase marker and the paint program on Windows.
Attached Images
File Type: gif tengwar.gif (9.7 KB, 23 views)

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-29-2002, 01:21 AM   #339
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Oh, and downsizing it to a size that fits really, really, really screwed up the quality, so I don't know if you can make head or tail of it. Do your best, as usual.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-29-2002, 02:36 AM   #340
Rían

Yes, the downsizing really messes it up, unfortunately. There's only one word that I really can't read, though, part of it got blanked out or something. Here's what I got:
Tinuviel child is bored. Hey Rian, am I getting the t's, d's, p's and b's right? I didn't have my other pens handi, so I (cant' make out) a dri erase marker, it looks weird.

Yes, that's the way JRRT does his! I think it looks better that way, do you? Also, I saw you used the "preceded by nasal of same column" tilde. I can't make up my mind about that, it usually makes the lowest letter go below the line because I forget to start my vowel mark higher. It is kinda cool, though. Thanks for posting! It's fun to read someone else's Tengwar

Closed Thread