Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #321
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

ROFL. Amy told me that fire wouldn't be a good power for a descendant of the Vanyar and Teleri. So not availing that, the power of far-sight is good enough, either that or lasers . Just as Gandalf couldn't really use his powers that much (meaning that he has a limited salvo of power), any power manifested by the Elves through the One is limited and if I use more than my quota, Eru will dispatch me either directly or indirectly (Saruman, your staff is broken).

Just as Gandalf relied more on his wisdom, common sense, and love for life, I'd rather think that most of those on the adventure are going to avail by relying on much the same thing. Why spawn a tornado to eliminate a tribe of Easterlings when you can simply outwit them and save your power...because there will usually be a time when you're going to need it.

The power of Random Jokes, I agree, would probably be the best. An Elf as comic relief - if I haven't seen it before, it's news to me!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:42 AM   #322
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Welcome, Amael! (Or Amy, whichever you prefer )

Just a note so there's no misunderstanding - while I know Dol Guldur is deserted now and so not *that* dangerous since it was cleared out by the Lórien elves - Tabrîl doesn't. So that's where all the talk of evil and turning back comes from, I'm not just ignoring the other posts.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:05 AM   #323
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Thanks for the heads-up, Aikanáro. It stands to reason not many would go to Dol Guldur only a few years after it was laid to waste, so Tabril probably had no way of knowing otherwise.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #324
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

hello Amael! welcome to our little happy family!
well its not that little it keeps getting bigger!

im thinking i might make nami be very grumpy and reluctant go down into dol glador. After all she's grown up with its evil and elfs dont like going underground, especially Nami!

Ellysa visions are really interesting, we could be a lot with them! and i was thinking that i agree not to have too much 'magic' going on. After all tolkien never really but magic in the storys but a bit of magic could spice things up a bit! Nami has not magic. She's boring and normal, if a little like a dwarf!
Old 04-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #325
Mari
Elf Lady

You don't need magic to be interesting! It's your character that makes you interesting!
(Hmm, perhaps I should specify: I mean the character of your character.)

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 04-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #326
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Heh... Welcome A'mael! I do hope you brought a lot of antiseptic with you. I have a feeling we are going to need it.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #327
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by feawen View Post
im thinking i might make nami be very grumpy and reluctant go down into dol glador. After all she's grown up with its evil and elfs dont like going underground, especially Nami!
I hope she isn't claustrophobic to boot, then. Although, I'm sure she can stay above ground if she wishes.

Quote:
Ellysa visions are really interesting, we could be a lot with them! and i was thinking that i agree not to have too much 'magic' going on. After all tolkien never really but magic in the storys but a bit of magic could spice things up a bit! Nami has not magic. She's boring and normal, if a little like a dwarf!
You always need to have non-magical characters to contrast the magical ones, IMO. I usually prefer to play non-magical characters myself, but Radagast was just the right man for this little adventure.

I was re-reading the Hobbit a while ago to research the spiders and one scene, where the Dwarves, Bilbo and Gandalf are stuck up in trees with the wargs below, struck me as telling. Gandalf sets fir cones on fire and throws them down at the wargs. But when the orcs show up and start putting the fire under the trees the company is in, he can't magically douse the fire. I remember going: "Yes, that's how it's supposed to be! Magic with limits!" I'm afraid I've quite startled the cat with my out-burst.

Don't get me wrong, magical characters are absolutely fine. But they should have limits. I've always found it far more interesting to play a character that has one sort of power, such as Ellysa's visions or Saruman's power of pursuasion than a character that can do everything.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #328
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

or nami's ability to be really scared of the dark!
i think the way its going she's going to be very claustrophobic! i think id would be quite fun to have a claustrophobic, scaried of the dark, hyperactive elf underground to deal with!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #329
Mari
Elf Lady

For the record: Ellysa can see things, but what she sees can be changed, with or without her knowing or recognizing it.
Ergo: she had some bad experiences with predictions not coming true.
Ergo: she's not infallible.

Just wanted to have that cleared up.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #330
Earniel

Flawed characters are definitely allowed, if not preferred, whether it's about shaky predictions or claustrophobic elves!

Oh yes, this could turn out quite interesting....
Old 04-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #331
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami would like to stay above ground but i like it would be funner to have the claustrophobic elf go into the caves. I think you have have to make her go with you!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #332
Amael
Elven Warrior

I figured out multtiquote. By the way, an image for the multiquote button doesn't show up but the alternate text does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe View Post
ROFL. Amy told me that fire wouldn't be a good power for a descendant of the Vanyar and Teleri. So not availing that, the power of far-sight is good enough, either that or lasers . Just as Gandalf couldn't really use his powers that much (meaning that he has a limited salvo of power), any power manifested by the Elves through the One is limited and if I use more than my quota, Eru will dispatch me either directly or indirectly (Saruman, your staff is broken).

Just as Gandalf relied more on his wisdom, common sense, and love for life, I'd rather think that most of those on the adventure are going to avail by relying on much the same thing. Why spawn a tornado to eliminate a tribe of Easterlings when you can simply outwit them and save your power...because there will usually be a time when you're going to need it.

The power of Random Jokes, I agree, would probably be the best. An Elf as comic relief - if I haven't seen it before, it's news to me!
Lasers, no. Fire good but only to a limit. Tornadoes, possibly. Give them a timer of a few seconds and don't make it an F2 or above, just enough to toss a few bad guys around and create a diversionn. Like you've even said before, every fanfic or role-playing game is killed by either trolling or using too many powers. And yes, Eru will dispatch you if you use too many. I think a role-pplaying game ending badly is his vengeance for bad plots because of too many powers. The power of random jokes is one you can use over and over again if you'd like. Just so it's not the joke that goes "a guy walks into a bar, and says ouch".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikanáro View Post
Welcome, Amael! (Or Amy, whichever you prefer )

Just a note so there's no misunderstanding - while I know Dol Guldur is deserted now and so not *that* dangerous since it was cleared out by the Lórien elves - Tabrîl doesn't. So that's where all the talk of evil and turning back comes from, I'm not just ignoring the other posts.
Thanks for the welcome. Either is quite well. You can call me Amy though. I'
Quote:
Originally Posted by feawen View Post
hello Amael! welcome to our little happy family!
well its not that little it keeps getting bigger!

Thanks also for the wellcome. I'm boring and normal too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
You don't need magic to be interesting! It's your character that makes you interesting!
(Hmm, perhaps I should specify: I mean the character of your character.)
I've noticed that mostt characters who rely on their magic and nothing else have very little to offer and very little development, almost like the guy at the corner of the bar who doesn'tt talk to anybody but when he does he talks only about himself. I like magic, but I agree with keeping it to a minimum, especially in a written book or fanfic or role-playing game. It's also just harder to describe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person View Post
Heh... Welcome A'mael! I do hope you brought a lot of antiseptic with you. I have a feeling we are going to need it.
Pepto Bismol! Thanks for the welcome.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #333
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

ok, i ned ideas for what i can get my claustrophobic elf to do to stop from going underground and if she does go underground, (which i hope she does!) what she does once she down there! Its about time we saw an elf scaried of something!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #334
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Hehe Feawen no worries girl I am laughing with you! That 'random elf' comment was really funny lol.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #335
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Indeed! Tabrîl isn't pleased, but it made me laugh.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #336
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

hehe, nami's turning a big wimp! i know why you were laughing, i dont mind people laughing at nami just help her out once in while!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #337
Mari
Elf Lady

Don't worry. Ellysa can be plentiful pathetic herself, so...

Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #338
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

lol Nami's got issues!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #339
Mari
Elf Lady

Aika, in what language are you speaking? Can I understand you?

Old 04-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #340
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Er...Quenya or Sindarin, whichever Quickleaf answered me in originally.

Closed Thread