Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 02:51 PM   #321
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

HAH! That is SO ironic; great minds really DO think alike - while you were writing the above post, I was composing a story entry - read it! I just posted it! Yes, Viv got rid of the nosy reporter !

And another thing - you're not gonna believe htis but - YES, just like you suggested I thought of the same thing - Viniglaen's posing as Pen & Lilly's cousin!! Ah, great minds DO think alike

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-10-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #322
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
No you don't, because you don't care about us, nazgul Imagine a new player pops up - a bloated, sweating, ugly hug -and declares she is Lady Galadriel herself, came to inspect your kingdom. I bet you will get mad. As for us, we won't be too upset. All is relative, you know.
Never being part of the nazgul-group, I obviously don't give it the same kind of importance as you do but that doesn't mean I don't care at all about your nazgul-characters.

As for the possibility of a bloated, impossible Galadriel, I'd raise an eyebrow at first but then I might play along. Or play contrary and say something like:"I know Galadriel and you, madam, look nothing like her" and shut my gate in her face. It might be interesting to see where it leads. Or I might decide to postpone writing in the game-thread and ask the other player for a clarification in the discussion-thread. And if that explanation isn't enough I'd try to offer an alternative that would be acceptable for me. Difficult to say how I'd react, though quite possibly I'd be very confused instead of mad.

Quote:
Honestly, Earniel, could you give ONE reason why Arnor guys won't be shooting immediately?
To be honest, I didn't think that far. It was after mid-night here when I read it and I didn't stay up that much longer. As far as I was concerned the character in the coach was human, albeit rather decadent and gross. No reason to shoot someone because he doesn't look very attractive. And as far as I read he did not enter the city so he would not necesarily have run into the city guard. And if he did, those might have been bribed to let him pass. There are a reasonable number of possibilities. The orc in front of the coach could pose a problem, though.

I see the rest of the situation appears to be resolved. Good.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:14 PM   #323
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Hi, Rian! I noticed you're here this morinig! Say, I loved what you posted - if you're up to it, now would be a nicely opportune time for your Rian to come 'round the house in response to the want-ad. I know Lilly's gritting her teeth in annoyance that she still doesn't have a "Major-Domo" (Houeshold Cheif)...

Old 09-10-2005, 03:30 PM   #324
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
To be honest, I didn't think that far. It was after mid-night here when I read it and I didn't stay up that much longer. As far as I was concerned the character in the coach was human, albeit rather decadent and gross. No reason to shoot someone because he doesn't look very attractive. And as far as I read he did not enter the city so he would not necesarily have run into the city guard. And if he did, those might have been bribed to let him pass. There are a reasonable number of possibilities. The orc in front of the coach could pose a problem, though.
They aren't attempting any violence. I hadn't even considered whether or not they have any weapons. If they do, they're probably just chemical solutions, and thus not easily recognizable as dangerous. They definitely aren't attacking.

I expect that this very strange coach will be stopped by the guards if it attempts to enter the city, but for it to be slaughtered immediately . . . I don't know.

As regards the Nazgul reaction, I personally don't think it would be very intelligent of them to just attack without any knowledge of what my character had to say to them. They might be turning down the offer of a lifetime (or deathtime, or anywhere in between ). In view of that, and the possibilities he has before him of escaping, my character is willing to take his chances.
Quote:
Once we greeted Lief in the Discussion thread I asked him immediately: are you going to become a nazgul?" (#238). He replied "No, I have other plans" ( #239). If he would have said YES, I would have given him some directions, proposed "vacant" characters and so on. But he said "No". Fine with me. But then this "Thing" gives "a nazgul cry" and thinks it will summon us. What are we supposed to think?
You might just ask me, "I thought you weren't going to play a Nazgul?"
Quote:
Please reread #268. "I will bring purpose and direction in your game."
Please reread the entirety of that post, not just a small and alterred fragment of a sentence .

What I said there was another way of saying what I had said a moment earlier, "What I'm trying to do at this moment in the RPG is bind everything together. Ring, Nazgul, Balrog, ecology and all. It's all one plot, not multiple separate plots." As Eärniel said, I was trying to help, though as I said in that same post, I was ready to withdraw any such "help" that was unwanted.

I also said in the very same post was that I had no desire at all (and I underlined it there too) to take any freedom from anyone, and I've repeated that in following posts.

Does that sound much like a tyrannical gamemaster?

Don't bother with answering that. It's rhetorical. Let's have some fun .

Does anyone have a problem with my doing as I suggested earlier I might? Posting a weak Nazgul scream that sounds little like a Nazgul, isn't at all worrisome, and sets the townsfolk laughing?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 09-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #325
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Lief, this is not a debate thread or an argument thread, like all those Theology threads over in General Messages. This is an RPG. Not an on-going, relentless, on and on and on and on, and on and on and on and on and on and on fight/defensive debate/explanation/blah blah blah blah blah, yada yada yada. Can you dig it?

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-10-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:00 PM   #326
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I can dig that well enough, now, seeing as we are *continuing on* lets drop it please? Wow, this thread...gone for a night and you lot post like tommorow aint commin!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:03 PM   #327
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Hmm. As I am not really interested in being slaughtered by ferocious Nazgul, I'll adjust my plan a bit. Instead, I'll just head straight for Tharbad . The elves will probably be more merciful, especially in view of my noble aims.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 09-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #328
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I don't particularly want to get involved in this but I do just want to say thing about the weak Nazgûl cry. As far as I can tell (I may be wrong) but it hasn't happened yet, but IMO it would be a good idea for it not to happen. For now Nazgûl presence in the city is undetected and should stay that way until the time is right. I think that this RPG is building up to the moment when the Nazgûl are forcifully removed (I may again be wrong) and to have the fact that Nazgûl are in the City known so early on would not be that helpful. I am in full support of you character Lief, and would like to find out more about it, but please leave out any Nazgûl crys unless you have some great plan for it, if so please post it here first.

CS I'll post in a minuteand have Galadannun coming and revealing himself to the other three Nazgûl as Khamûl. Here is a v. short bio for him.

Born in Rhûn, is father was a Numenorean killed in the Last Alliance fighting for Anarion and his mother is an Easterling. Named Galadannun, Light of the West, by his mother in rememberance of his father but was afterwards named Khamûl, Shadow of the East, by Sauron when rendered into his services.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 09-10-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:27 PM   #329
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Could someone please give me some clues as to what to write? I know started the thread but extensive authoring has never been my strong suit. Sorry.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:34 PM   #330
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

You are Penny brother of Khamûl (Galadannun) and Lily. There is an opening for you to post now in the RPG. You've just seen your big brother again!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 09-10-2005, 04:46 PM   #331
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Drat it all, I had a nice post, and was about to hit the post button, but went to get my laundry adn my bratty little cousin stole the computer, some one posted ahead of me....perhaps i can adjust it? *fizzle*
Old 09-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #332
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

No, no, I think it's perfectly fine as it is! There's a lot of important people in the living room of the mansion all of a sudden, so there's bound to be a little bit of over-speak.

Oh- BTW, Viv wouldn't blush for real, unless it was a blush from an oncoming rush of anger, but she's not mad at the boys, she rather likes them, so - her blush was just a coy little trick!

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-10-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:04 PM   #333
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I garnered as much, she isnt the type to be even the slightest bit pinky. I remember reading somewhere that Ray and Marty were kind of...not so bright... I am sorry if I am not playing them that way. I just need more practice playing dumb!
Old 09-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #334
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

EXCellent last story-post, Shah! You're really good at this; I am so happy you're in it!

Oh - btw, Rian? In Beverly Hills, the term they use for the Chief Household Manager is Major Domo - Aaron Spelling has a Major Domo, for instance. Just in case you were unsure. It's a fairly prestigious position to hold!

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-10-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #335
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Well, I am trying....eeeks.

Oh? how did they come up with that name though? My latin is rust---OH! got it, never mind....heheh...

Last edited by The last sane person : 09-10-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:31 PM   #336
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

4 Rian and everyone else's info:

ma·jor-do·mo [ mÃ*yjər dṓmō ] (plural ma·jor-do·mos)

noun

Definitions:

1. household manager: the chief servant in a large household, especially a royal or noble household, responsible for managing domestic affairs

2. personal manager: somebody responsible for managing affairs and making arrangements for somebody else

[Late 16th century. Via French, Italian, Spanish < medieval Latin major domus "chief of the house" < Latin magnus "great" + domus "house"]

Old 09-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #337
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Yep! My mind wheels just needed a second to warm up. Wow, she gets a posh position for just showing up. Lucky her!
Old 09-10-2005, 06:01 PM   #338
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

That was perfect, CS! You brought the reality of the Nazguls and the situation right 'round; ideal.

Now we wait for Rian to get hired, and Viv's gonna have to get ready for school, plus she's going out later on to do some private re-con of her own around town and campus. She LOVES to sneak around, and very little escapes her attention, VERY little. She sees something she doesn't care for, it's goin' DOWN! There's a liitle mystery 4 ya .

Old 09-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #339
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Oh - btw, Rian? In Beverly Hills, the term they use for the Chief Household Manager is Major Domo - Aaron Spelling has a Major Domo, for instance. Just in case you were unsure. It's a fairly prestigious position to hold!
Thanks for the info, but will the Middle Earth denizens want to copy Beverly Hills?

OTOH, I guess it's the other way around, since we're in a time before Beverly Hills was even around!

And will Lilly, that canny redhead, be willing to hire a young lady for that position that has a rather lightweight resume? Or does she see certain ... advantages ... in having someone around who wouldn't recognize a less-than-kosher household setup?

Well, RÃ*an can but try ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-10-2005, 06:16 PM   #340
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

My compliments, Shah!
It is really a pleasure reading your posts!

Lotesse and TD - good posts, as usual. I hope GW appears soon. I feel Five gets tired to be manipulated by Lilly.
GW you never told us, do you want to look as Omar Sharif?

Re my last post. I am unsure if I develop Khamul's character in a right direction.
TD, would you lie on Lilly's bed with your boots on, or wouldn't you?
I am willing to edit, as usual
Closed Thread