Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-09-2003, 11:39 PM   #321
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

1. Stupidity - The top of the list for Satanic Sins. The Cardinal Sin of Satanism. It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity. It depends on people going along with whatever they are told. The media promotes a cultivated stupidity as a posture that is not only acceptable but laudable. Satanists must learn to see through the tricks and cannot afford to be stupid.
2. Pretentiousness - Empty posturing can be most irritating and isn't applying the cardinal rules of Lesser Magic. On equal footing with stupidity for what keeps the money in circulation these days. Everyone's made to feel like a big shot, whether they can come up with the goods or not.
3. Solipsism - Can be very dangerous for Satanists. Projecting your reactions, responses and sensibilities onto someone who is probably far less attuned than you are. It is the mistake of expecting people to give you the same consideration, courtesy and respect that you naturally give them. They won't. Instead, Satanists must strive to apply the dictum of "Do unto others as they do unto you." It's work for most of us and requires constant vigilance lest you slip into a comfortable illusion of everyone being like you. As has been said, certain utopias would be ideal in a nation of philosophers, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, from a Machiavellian standpoint) we are far from that point.
4. Self-deceit - It's in the "Nine Satanic Statements" but deserves to be repeated here. Another cardinal sin. We must not pay homage to any of the sacred cows presented to us, including the roles we are expected to play ourselves. The only time self-deceit should be entered into is when it's fun, and with awareness. But then, it's not self-deceit!
5. Herd Conformity - That's obvious from a Satanic stance. It's all right to conform to a person's wishes, if it ultimately benefits you. But only fools follow along with the herd, letting an impersonal entity dictate to you. The key is to choose a master wisely instead of being enslaved by the whims of the many.
6. Lack of Perspective - Again, this one can lead to a lot of pain for a Satanist. You must never lose sight of who and what you are, and what a threat you can be, by your very existence. We are making history right now, every day. Always keep the wider historical and social picture in mind. That is an important key to both Lesser and Greater Magic. See the patterns and fit things together as you want the pieces to fall into place. Do not be swayed by herd constraints - know that you are working on another level entirely from the rest of the world.
7. Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies - Be aware that this is one of the keys to brainwashing people into accepting something new and different, when in reality it's something that was once widely accepted but is now presented in a new package. We are expected to rave about the genius of the creator and forget the original. This makes for a disposable society.
8. Counterproductive Pride - That first word is important. Pride is great up to the point you begin to throw out the baby with the bathwater. The rule of Satanism is: if it works for you, great. When it stops working for you, when you've painted yourself into a corner and the only way out is to say, I'm sorry, I made a mistake, I wish we could compromise somehow, then do it.
9. Lack of Aesthetics - This is the physical application of the Balance Factor. Aesthetics is important in Lesser Magic and should be cultivated. It is obvious that no one can collect any money off classical standards of beauty and form most of the time so they are discouraged in a consumer society, but an eye for beauty, for balance, is an essential Satanic tool and must be applied for greatest magical effectiveness. It's not what's supposed to be pleasing - it's what is. Aesthetics is a personal thing, reflective of one's own nature, but there are universally pleasing and harmonious configurations that should not be denied.

And that's this part. If I have time, I'll try to come back and comment on it, but right now I'm a bit burnt out.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:09 AM   #322
Millane
The Dude

oh my god how much did you post well ill try to reply to all the points you raised but it'll probly take me a bit and im not responding from a satanist pov just my own...
Quote:
This is not true. Firstly, Satan is NOT supposed to take the fall for our wrongdoings.
well i see it differently. i see Satan as being created to take the fall for God. just one example concerning Descartes. D. says that God exists and that he is good hence God wouldnt decieve yet D. has been decieved before as everyone has. he then thinks of the coincept of an evil demon (Satan) who would be the cause of the deception... so as i see it there are things that couldnt be explained about God like deception so Satan was introduced to take the fall....
Quote:
Well, the biggest thing was that it taught tolerance. From what I heard, the name was chosen to aggravate and intimidate Christians. Not very tolerant, IMO.
No it was chosen because the public has a fear of that word... i see it as being an example at how much religion has conditioned its beleivers. as Anto LaVey said "one hates what one fears" and he became hated and grew more powerful... i see it as a clever statement and a psychological mind game for power. which is what satanism is about advancing yourself through intelligence...

i guess i dont have your stamina or ability to stick with something but ill post some more tommorrer or tonight
Old 04-10-2003, 04:27 AM   #323
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Old 04-10-2003, 04:45 AM   #324
Millane
The Dude

eh?
Old 04-10-2003, 02:15 PM   #325
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Catholicism - A Confusing Religion. Same twists and turns as Christianity, with a few more rules to break. And their prayer services really floor me... Sit, Stand, Kneel... ahhhh. Done in Latin at times...that part is cool. If you have god in your heart, and can talk to god through prayer, Why would you need to go confess to a priest? Whats the middle man for? I think the church has lost it's way and become a large monopoly. If you have faith, you dont need a church. The movie STIGMATA hit the nail on the head, You don't need a building to have faith. The church is no longer needed, and are only there to take your money. This should be in the next topic... so, I digress.
The Movie Stigmata was morally offensive...at least to me (being a Catholic) the church is needed or Jesus wouldn't have instituted it...also the movie had a rather gnostic point of view...in that Jesus said that whoever possess secret knowledge will go to heaven..that is crazy! The church delt with the Gnostics in the 4th-5th center I believe...there is no secret knowledge...everyone can go to heaven if they want to...Jesus is the way
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:11 PM   #326
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
hmmm well maybe some of you religious smarty pants can answer my question... i read something in some Church of Satan crap that there is not one thing in the bible that praises intelligence, well ive never actually been bothered to sit down and read it but im sure that somewhere there would be something???
Intelligence is not a virtue, it's just what you happen to have thru no effort on your part. Now wisdom is another thing - it involves learning, which is an effort one can choose to make or not to make. Wisdom also involves a decision to act on the knowledge gained thru study, which is also an effort one can choose to make or not to make. The Bible, in my experience of it, praises people's actions; not what they have done nothing to get (like hair color or intelligence). And the New Testament does indeed speak of wisdom, and calls us to study, and to apply.

That's why a less-intelligent person who has tried really, really hard to do their best to learn with limited intelligence, and has chosen to try very hard to apply that knowledge, can be MUCH more highly praised than an intelligence person who sits on their duff all day and doesn't give a rip for anyone besides themselves.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:28 PM   #327
Gwaimir Windgem

Yes, just like the Widow's Mite.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-10-2003, 11:42 PM   #328
Millane
The Dude

i see where your coming from Rian but i still intelligence as a virtue. i just looked in the dictionary and this was intelligence.
Quote:
Intelligence - 1.The ability to understand, learn, and to control behavior in any new event.
and i tend to think of that as being a very good virtue to have... but i guess it just comes down to your definition.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:45 PM   #329
Gwaimir Windgem

The "understand" and "control" parts sound more like Rian's wisdom than intelligence to me. And wisdom is definitely something the Bible highly praises.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-10-2003, 11:50 PM   #330
Millane
The Dude

yes thats what im trying to say its all in your definition. i see them as promoting Rian's wisdom definition over her intelligence one...
as far as i am getting your defintion of intelligence Rian, you are saying that you are born with intelligence not something you can aquire???
because if thats what your saying the Church of Satan is not about being catagorised through uncontrolable circumstances but through intelligence which everyone can control.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:25 AM   #331
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Sorry, but I tend to agree with rian on this one.

Intelligence is the basic building block - this is what we use to adapt to the environment, and manipulate it to our advantage; then you get knowledge which builds upon intelligence, and THEN you get wisdom. Wisdom would be, I guess, the virtue.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:30 AM   #332
Millane
The Dude

no need to apologise ill just fight it alone
yes but even by your definition of Intelligence wouldnt you class it as a good virtue to have and something to acknowledge?
Old 04-11-2003, 12:48 AM   #333
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Well, the way that I, personally, think of intelligence is I guess the innate capacity of your brain that you are BORN with. I guess it boils down to I think different people just have different amounts of 'smarts'. Now, you can go to school and apply whatever brain power you have and LEARN more, but I would think that increases your KNOWLEDGE, not your INTELLIGENCE.

Maybe intelligence is like the horsepower rating on an engine - some people might be issued a 454, while others might be issued a 350 (I got these numbers from my husband - I had no clue about engine sizes ). Now if the 454 owner and the 350 owner apply the same amount of effort (gasoline? driving?) then the 454 owner will go farther, faster (altho he put in the same effort as the 350 owner). But if the 454 owner dawdles around, doesn't invest in gasoline, takes 5 hour breaks, etc., then even tho the 350 owner has a less capable machine, he will get farther. (this may be a lousy analogy because I don't know a lot about cars, but I hope you get the general idea.) So the car owners can't help what car they were issued, but they CAN help what they DO with the car they were issued!

But I could be completely wrong...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-11-2003, 12:57 AM   #334
Millane
The Dude

yeah i also agree with you in the fact that some people are born with a certain amount of smarts to some degree. i wouldnt call that intelligence because that would by your definition make it impossible to gain intelligence and i think you can.
i dont see true knowledge as what you learn at school but more the philosophical side of things, and sure i think there is a restriction to what you can and cant get your head around but i dont think you are necassarily born with that.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:12 AM   #335
BeardofPants
the Shrike

No, Rian, I do believe you are right. Intelligence is innate: it is something you are born with, and it measures your natural capacity to work within the physical environment. You cannot improve your intelligence: this is fixed, because it is an innate ability. Whether it is a virtue or not, is another matter. Knowledge is what you build upon. This is flexible, and can be considered a virtue of sorts, since it acts to strengthen your natural abilities. Wisdom is the next step up.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:14 AM   #336
Rían

Millane - We probably are thinking the same ideas, but using different words to express it.

some other quick defs:

virtue - general moral excellence

moral - relating to, dealing with, or capable of making the distinction between, right and wrong in conduct

intelligence - the ability to learn or understand from experience; ability to acquire and retain knowledge; mental ability.

So I would say intelligence is NOT a virtue. I also disagree with you - I DON"T think you can gain intelligence. (If you study, you tend to think better overall, but I think you don't actually gain brain cells, you just get more of them working). I think you could lose intelligence thru things like an injury to the brain.

On the other hand, how you APPLY your intelligence can be virtuous or not virtuous (i.e., are you using your intelligence to help others? are you diligent to use your intelligence for good purposes? Helping others and being diligent are virtues.) But that's just MHO

Last edited by Rían : 04-11-2003 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:17 AM   #337
Rían

BoP - I keep missing your posts! You keep posting while I"m typing. I keep getting phone calls and can't finish a post off!

Old 04-11-2003, 01:18 AM   #338
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Knowledge - Main Entry: knowl·edge
Pronunciation: 'nä-lij
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English knowlege, from knowlechen to acknowledge, irregular from knowen
Date: 14th century
1 obsolete : COGNIZANCE
2 a (1) : the fact or condition of knowing something with familiarity gained through experience or association (2) : acquaintance with or understanding of a science, art, or technique b (1) : the fact or condition of being aware of something (2) : the range of one's information or understanding <answered to the best of my knowledge> c : the circumstance or condition of apprehending truth or fact through reasoning : COGNITION d : the fact or condition of having information or of being learned <a man of unusual knowledge>
3 archaic : SEXUAL INTERCOURSE
4 a : the sum of what is known : the body of truth, information, and principles acquired by mankind b archaic : a branch of learning
synonyms KNOWLEDGE, LEARNING, ERUDITION, SCHOLARSHIP mean what is or can be known by an individual or by mankind. KNOWLEDGE applies to facts or ideas acquired by study, investigation, observation, or experience
Old 04-11-2003, 01:19 AM   #339
Rían

What do you think wisdom is, BoP? (and others)

ps = I like your def of intelligence - "it measures your natural capacity to work within the physical environment. "

Old 04-11-2003, 01:23 AM   #340
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
BoP - I keep missing your posts! You keep posting while I"m typing. I keep getting phone calls and can't finish a post off!
Heehee.

Wisdom. Um. I guess I would consider it to be an accumulation of knowledge; philisophically and scientifically. Someone who has expanded their knowledge beyond necessity?