Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #321
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
The Entmoot Freedom Party talks about the breech of mooter rights as well as the Entmoot staff's powers, and likens the admins to trolls!
I feel we have to make our platform a little clearer!

We're not anti-admin or anti-mod, but anti-abuse and anti-corruption. We're a value-oriented party

Electing the Entmoot Freedom Party to office means electing oversight of excessive power-wielding and illegal 'big government' intrusion into the happy affairs of every Mooter and Tolkien-fan. Most admins and mods out there are good at heart, but power does corrupt, and the worst we could do was to elect what could be called an Hectorian president: that does not work against this, but rather becomes a part of it.

Let's work against this danger - bring about change - and find the Magic we Believe in!

For what is Entmoot without the individual poster that unleashes hers and his creativity onto the Web?

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 04-16-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #322
inked
Elf Lord

CH, du iz de parti of hop und chang! Ve got it. Dat iz al du iz! But de talking out of bod sids of dur mowd is going rely vel!!!

Du iz veri skari!!!

EntMuters bevar!!!

HEKTOR UND ACALLY FUR DE GOVERNMENT DU KAN BELEV IN!!!!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #323
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
Hehe yeah I think we have the same problem in Norway as you have in Finland. Not quite sure if UT is translated into Norwegian Either way, I prefer reading it in English.
Oh yes, it is - it's title is "Ufullendte fortellinger". Several of Tolkien's titles have been translated into Norwegian, the most recent being "The Children of Hurin", "Hurins barn". Several of the non-ME ones as well. "Farmer Giles of Ham", "Eigil Bonde fra Heim", was translated about thirty years ago (and is out of print now).

But none of the HoME titles have been translated, and I don't think there would be any point - when the idea is to discuss details of Tolkiens choice of words, as it is in many cases, translation will just not do it justice. HoME needs to be read in the original English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
You don't exactly need good publishers if you've got good libraries.
Oh yes, you do - there wouldn't be a Norwegian copy of UT/UF in the library if it hadn't been translated and published, would there?
In that case, the library could only provide the English version.
I want both versions, if possible.

Quote:
For what is Entmoot without the individual poster that unleashes hers and his creativity onto the Web?
Like, when she or he disappears for a few months?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #324
Midge
Faithful Gardener

OFFICIAL NEWS OF MIDGE/VARNA:

Our party name is going to be "the Entmoot Micronationalist Chocolate Liberty Party" due to our mutual love of the Entmoot Micronation and chocolate and liberty and how all those will most definitely affect our politics.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 04-20-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #325
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well its certainly a better food choice then the "Tea Party". Are we celebrating the throwing of the chocolate in the harbor that lead to the liberation of Entmoot from EZ board tyranny? Personally, Im a member of the Beer Party but if you become too political in that group you wind up with a head ache.

And what is the truth to the rumors that Hectors party is code named The One Ring Party which they dont plan to reveal until after the election! Please vote with great caution!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #326
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Most admins and mods out there are good at heart, but power does corrupt, and the worst we could do was to elect what could be called an Hectorian president: that does not work against this, but rather becomes a part of it.
All of this would make perfect sense if we were indeed living in a totalitarian adminocracy, were the admins and mods are the equals of trolls and corruption is omnipresent...

But you don't have me entirely convinced

Adapting a slightly different perspective, a Hectorian rule such as you describe sounds like a highway to a virtual utopia - Entmoot staff-members and a democratically elected President working hand-in-hand to fulfil the mooters' dreams, fight off invading orc armies and deal with the occasional spammer! (Hector has superb incarceration capabilities for that end, I should know )

Self-preservation tells me this view of things is good and healthy! (You never know when Sister Golden Hair returns with her stick! And in the meantime I'd rather not risk making acquaintance with Val's inflatable hammer or Eärniel's plastic gecko ...)

Quote:
When you think about it, isn't this what Hector has tirelessly been doing for years? Invariably it's been really wicked creativity, but still?

That does it. My vote is swaying Hector's way! (or Acally's, whatever )
Call it brainwashing, Stockholm syndrome or temporary mental derangement - I hereby exclaim

Hektor und Acally fur prezidantz!

An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #327
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

What have they DONE to you?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #328
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:

Well that was unexpected to say the least.

O_o
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #329
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
That does it. My vote is swaying Hector's way! (or Acally's, whatever )
Call it brainwashing, Stockholm syndrome or temporary mental derangement - I hereby exclaim

Oh well you win some, you lose some.

Yet for the rest of the citizens of Entmoot it is important to show the corrupt presidency of Hector and how his Hectorian influences can reach far, faaaar into the corridores of the '10-'12 presidency.

The Entmoot Freedom Party has summoned our eager and industrious whistleblower (who will remain unnamed!) to root out all of the darkest and most sinister activities of Hector's presidency.

*Shudder*

A demonstration:

12-28-2007:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
I mean, what is there to be mad at you about there? I would rob, er, borrow from, taxpayers to build my Berlioz-and NOT Debussy- Museum. People don't care about earmarks, because they don't understand what they are.
11-22-2006:
Quote:
Why should it be my job to keep the peace? There was plenty peace in HOBBIT's time, and instead of revolting against the mods, he mingled with them like a traitorous cat among the dogs...
11-17-2006:
Quote:
Considering that I was elected by people
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Yes, it really is sad, isn't it? So many people had to vote to get you elected, and look how you turned out... Misquoting people, spying on people, going to women's underwear
11-17-2006:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain Peregrin Took I
Hector's a bad boy if he's forming an alliance with Mordor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Clearly grounds for impeachment
And not to mention... the troublesome relationship between the two candidates on the Acally-Hector ticket
11-18-2006:
Quote:
*Smacks Acally*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
Hey!
*spills hot coffee on Hector's lap*
Ooops
02-13-2007:
Quote:
But you can never belive what Hector says
We believe, quite simply, that the VP-candidate of the Acally-ticket is unfit for office having shown repeated abuses of it and the HOLY trust of every Mooter

Vote for the Coffee-Insidious-Noble ticket and we'll bring back the Magic to the Moot (oh and we give away free chocolate)

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 04-16-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #330
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Heh, nice investigation.

I think you just underlined that Hector is precisely the kind of VP that all of us mooters deserve
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #331
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex View Post
Well its certainly a better food choice then the "Tea Party". Are we celebrating the throwing of the chocolate in the harbor that lead to the liberation of Entmoot from EZ board tyranny? Personally, Im a member of the Beer Party but if you become too political in that group you wind up with a head ache.

And what is the truth to the rumors that Hectors party is code named The One Ring Party which they dont plan to reveal until after the election! Please vote with great caution!
More later on the name of our party. As to Hector's party name, I wouldn't be one bit surprised to find out those rumors were true, even if the first publication to pick them up was the Teacup Gazette or whatever tabloids the 'Moot has!

Quote:

I will say that everyone else's responses to this were very funny and also: Not MORE Euro-English! That stuff is making me cry! The one that's the worst is "du" for "you". I just don't get it! Oh, and that Hector's avvie flashes over yours every so often. It's like it's attacking you or something. You might want to watch out for that. I'd take it as a threat of continuing persecution by Hector.

Coffeehouse - Did you look up all those really old posts just for the purpose of denouncing Hector's goodness? I'm impressed! Don't forget his duplicity in being Evil Santa and his violence and anger issues with the Green Hulk thing into which he transformed when mad or something. He has a REPUTATION!
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 04-16-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #332
inked
Elf Lord

Midge und Varna vant du to dink dat dey are progressive! Den dey revel de trud!

"I will say that everyone else's responses to this were very funny and also: Not MORE Euro-English! That stuff is making me cry! The one that's the worst is "du" for "you". I just don't get it!"

Iz dis de prezidant fur de EntMut? Holding bak de progrez becz de kanot muv wid de tims?

EntMuterz of de vorld UNIT!!! Hektor und Acaly fur Prezidant fur Lif!:
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 04-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #333
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Don't forget his duplicity in being Evil Santa and his violence and anger issues with the Green Hulk thing into which he transformed when mad or something. He has a REPUTATION!
I almost completely forgot about that!

Wow. Those were fun times.

And it's time to bring them back! That's what voting for Acally and myself means. We will bring back the happy times to Entmoot, and make it a far jollier place. It doesn't take magic, chocolate, champagne, or x perry mints to fix Entmoot. All you need is a joyful spirit, and a little Euro-English . Ja.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #334
hectorberlioz

Quote:
But you can never belive what Hector says
Quote:

We believe, quite simply, that the VP-candidate of the Acally-ticket is unfit for office having shown repeated abuses of it and the HOLY trust of every Mooter
First of all, you mis-read what Acally said. She didn't say "you can never believe what Hector says," she said "you can never BELIVE what Hector says."

BELIVE:

v. to live with purpose, meaning in one's life. 2. to meaningfully dedicate one's life to a goal.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 04-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #335
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
The Entmooter's party, with its authoritarian perspectives, its tough stance on criminals (convicted ones as well as innocent!) and its intense desire to maintain maximum security prisons - well, that sounds like a platform that should appeal more to the admins and mods
Ha! Those prisons should be especially for the banned Mooters. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
GM,

Indeed, the weather's been funky! And a scary amount of earthquakes. The Memphis fault line is said to be shifting a bit.
I should know too, I live south of the New Madrid Fault Line. At times I felt a few quivers
Quote:
Electing the Entmoot Freedom Party to office means electing oversight of excessive power-wielding and illegal 'big government' intrusion into the happy affairs of every Mooter and Tolkien-fan. Most admins and mods out there are good at heart, but power does corrupt, and the worst we could do was to elect what could be called an Hectorian president: that does not work against this, but rather becomes a part of it.
Define Hectorian
Quote:
You want creativity? Go check out the rpg threads and the misquote and Avatar caption threads
Quote:
Adapting a slightly different perspective, a Hectorian rule such as you describe sounds like a highway to a virtual utopia - Entmoot staff-members and a democratically elected President working hand-in-hand to fulfil the mooters' dreams, fight off invading orc armies and deal with the occasional spammer! (Hector has superb incarceration capabilities for that end, I should know )That does it. My vote is swaying Hector's way! (or Acally's, whatever )

I see you've adopted Inked's accent. It's none of teh above, It's just good sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
What have they DONE to you?
I batted my eyes at him j/k. Seriously, he's realized that I'll make a fair president. He's looking past my Vice President's faults and seeing that his past does not reflect on my current asperations
Quote:
So your saying just because Hector and I have bantered, a bit roughly, in the past means we wont make a good presidential team?
Quote:
Vote for the Coffee-Insidious-Noble ticket and we'll bring back the Magic to the Moot (oh and we give away free chocolate)
VOTER BRIBARY!!!!

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #336
inked
Elf Lord

Acalewia and Hector 2010

How far "South" of de New Madrid fault lin iz du, Acaly?

Acalewia and Hector 2010
Old 04-17-2010, 05:15 AM   #337
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Oh yes, you do - there wouldn't be a Norwegian copy of UT/UF in the library if it hadn't been translated and published, would there?
In that case, the library could only provide the English version.
I want both versions, if possible.
I was indeed thinking of the English translation, which wouldn't need a Finnish or Norwegian publisher. However, if you are, as you said, looking for both the original and a translation, than yes, at some point a library is not enough and you'd need a publisher. Which reminds me that I'm not even sure if UT is translated in Dutch...

Quote:
I think you just underlined that Hector is precisely the kind of VP that all of us mooters deserve
People often get the politicians they deserve. But I wonder, would I be able to get the chocolate I deserve without the politicians it nowadays comes attached to? Hmm, worth looking into...
Old 04-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #338
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Call it brainwashing, Stockholm syndrome or temporary mental derangement
I call it Stockholm syndrome. I'm old enough to remember the original Stockholm syndrome (of the hostages of bank robbers at a Stockholm bank) from the news.
I'm sad to see that hector kept you in his prison for too long!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #339
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
How far "South" of de New Madrid fault lin iz du, Acaly?
Little Rockish.

I was living in North Little Rock when I felt one of the stronger ones.

News folks joked it was all the toads on the way to Toad Suck Dayz in Conway
lol

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera

Last edited by Acalewia : 04-17-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #340
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
I'm sad to see that hector kept you in his prison for too long!
As opposed to just long enough

The Da CINDY Code
~