Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 12:59 PM   #321
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
exactly, many americans fail to realize how important preschool and grammer school are to developing minds... arguably more important than higher education... it seems strange that in a capitalist economy such as our own that so few seem to realize that you get what you pay for
It is erroneous to act like we have a NATIONAL education system - because we don't, but I do agree with you that many people don't put an importance on education, whether it's preschool, elementary, or high school. But education is a state issue and all states have different education requirements. The only state you have a say in when it comes to education is Massachusetts. I have a say in the NJ education system. NJ does put an emphasis on preschool and grammar school, but I know from living in Indiana that they didn't put the same emphasis on education. If states want to compete in a high tech job market, they will have to compete with the states which do have high education standards. They will have to improve their education systems or fall behind. The "No Child Left Behind Act" was implemented to force these failing states to change.

Here is information on the NJ Department of Education.

If we want to talk about education in the US, then everyone will have to present their own state's department of education websites, so they can be compared.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-28-2004 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:25 PM   #322
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

good point... i just appreciated the gaffer's comments on teachers being paid at university levels... yes there are variations state to state... but i think true improvement is going to warrant an exponential increase in the amount of money the US puts towards education... i'm not too keen on the federal government controling how local money is spent... but they are the only part of the political system in the US that can raise money in a way to change education throughout the country

i think it's just as important to my own children's future how we'll students are educated in places like indiana as it is how my own are
Old 09-28-2004, 02:09 PM   #323
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

It's been proven that the best way to help a "people" is through education. Food and Shelter are immediate needs, but education leads development of economy, civil government, better health care (both self <which is very important for women> and organized) and hopefully civility in general. Though, this is mainly provable with examples of communities and regions, since so many nations fall victim to the more powerful (rich or otherwise) who are often thugs in nice clothes.

I taught highshool science at a private academy for several years and loved it for the most part. I can see all sides to the issue.

1. Test are "good" because they give accountability that our children are being taught useful information at some acceptable standard.

2. Test are "poor" because they are often (and almost always) an inaccurate thermometer of the student body. (like eating the cherry off a hot-fudge sundae and grading the entire sundae, you miss the true compilation plus possible a really sweet desert.....hhhmmmmmm chocolate.

Politics rarely help in a micro-arena, but they play an important role in the macro.

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
Old 09-28-2004, 02:30 PM   #324
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
good point... i just appreciated the gaffer's comments on teachers being paid at university levels... yes there are variations state to state... but i think true improvement is going to warrant an exponential increase in the amount of money the US puts towards education... i'm not too keen on the federal government controling how local money is spent... but they are the only part of the political system in the US that can raise money in a way to change education throughout the country
From NJ's experience with it's school systems, money has a lot less to do with the quality of education then people like to give credit to. NJ was and I think still is paying far more to it's failing schools. Throwing money at it isn't always the solution. Many times it takes a change in attitude to the importance of education, that involves getting parents involved, demonstrating to students that education is important, and so forth. I'm not saying that money has nothing to do with it though.
Quote:
i think it's just as important to my own children's future how we'll students are educated in places like indiana as it is how my own are
I agree, for the success of the United States that it is important for ALL schools, regardless of what state they are in - strive for better education. That's where the No Child Left Behind Act comes into play. Before there were no national standards, nor really unified reporting standards. I find it odd that states where education is a key priority, No Child Left Behind wasn't condemned whereas states which aren't as prepared, seem to be the ones who do complain. NJ already had, by state law since 1995, required a school report card. I have gotten a school report card in the mail on our school system every year since I've been back in NJ. Now No Child Left Behind requires report cards for ALL schools around the country be sent to the federal government.

Quote:
NEW JERSEY REPORT CARD: Commissioner's Message

The federal No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act has imposed new accountability and reporting requirements on states. The Department of Education has decided that, since it has an already established school-level report card to satisfy the 1995 state law, it would be easier for districts and schools if the state reported to the public the school-, district-, and state-level information in the areas mandated by NCLB.

The elements addressed in the NCLB reports are as follows:

* Identification of schools in need of improvement and consecutive years the school has not made adequate yearly progress (AYP);
* Attendance rates by grade level;
* High school dropout rates;
* Information on highly qualified teachers,
* Assessment data for all state tests disaggregated by the required sub-groups showing two years of data for all students and the comparison with the AYP proficiency standard; and
* Links to assessment data in receiving schools for students in schools without testing grades.

Under NCLB rules, the federal accountability report must be issued annually before the opening of school. This necessitates having assessment data ready for release in the summer. Since our new NJ ASK 4 test was administered late in May of 2003, the results will not be ready before the opening of school in 2003. For the 2002-03 release of data, the department had to create a transition plan this year
Here is the report card for our two high schools in my town -
West Windsor-Plainsboro HS-NORTH CAMPUS 2002-03 SCHOOL REPORT CARD
West Windsor-Plainsboro HS-SOUTH CAMPUS 2002-03 SCHOOL REPORT CARD

Here is the national report card

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 09-30-2004, 08:31 AM   #325
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Agreed that it's not just a question of funding. However, money is a massive issue where a school has crumbling facilities and out of date equipment. Here in the UK, where education is also funded locally rather than centrally (though local authorities get a grant from central government), salary increases and capital investment projects have been supported by more funding from the centre.

It seems likely that the states which were already prepared for these sorts of standards don't object so much because it won't cost them as much to implement; states which don't already have similar schemes will face far higher costs to establish the system.

From what I've read about it since, it seems that most of the objections to No Child Left Behind are that the federal government hasn't come through with the money they promised to support implementation.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 09-30-2004 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:09 PM   #326
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
I agree that some regulation is necessary, and that the unprepared schools are the ones getting whacked. It's just that NCLB is an unfunded mandate: there is no money coming to the schools to help with the new changes.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Old 09-30-2004, 01:27 PM   #327
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleg Strongbow
... It's just that NCLB is an unfunded mandate: there is no money coming to the schools to help with the new changes.
But do you realize how many things that government... at ALL levels, requires each of us to do without providing the funding for it? Even mowing my lawn (including the city easement past the sidewalk) and shoveling the snow from the city sidewalk in front of my house are essentially 'unfunded mandates'!

EDIT: Plus - you and me, as taxpayers - are going to cover the cost either way. If the federal government funds it, we'll pay for it with federal taxes. If the state is required to provide funding, we'll pay for it with state taxes. This stuff about 'unfunded mandates' is just more bureacratic griping, as far as I can tell.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 09-30-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:46 PM   #328
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
But do you realize how many things that government... at ALL levels, requires each of us to do without providing the funding for it? Even mowing my lawn (including the city easement past the sidewalk) and shoveling the snow from the city sidewalk in front of my house are essentially 'unfunded mandates'!
Also, I have to keep my car in working order - otherwise it won't pass inspection. I have to take it to the inspection station and so forth. I don't get money for my time nor do get paid to keep my car running in good condition. Those are also unfunded mandates.

Another thing, funding comes from Congress - not from the president. Yet everyone is bitching about the president not funding it. If you want it funded - then start writing your congressmen. Even if the president didn't ask for funding - or hasn't pushed for it - doesn't meant congress can't fund it. And as Valandil said - not everything the US Government or any government requires is funded - sometimes that part is left up to you.

The more I hear people talk on entmoot the more I see people being completely ignorant of the way our government works, the role of Congress, the role of the president and the role of the supreme court. I would suggest people start reading some books on the US Government and start learning how our system works (checks and balances isn't some good marketing slogan you know ). I can not believe the number of people who do not understand the electorial college, or what congress does, versus what the president can do, versus what the supreme court does.

Here are some important books to read to get people started...
Decision in Philadelphia (this is an easy book to read and ANYONE who can make it through Lord of the Rings - should be able to read this in no time)
Federalist Papers
Anti-Federalist Papers

The last two you can read on the web. There are plenty of sites that have them up since they are public domain.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-30-2004 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:48 PM   #329
jerseydevil

Quote:
EDIT: Plus - you and me, as taxpayers - are going to cover the cost either way. If the federal government funds it, we'll pay for it with federal taxes. If the state is required to provide funding, we'll pay for it with state taxes. This stuff about 'unfunded mandates' is just more bureacratic griping, as far as I can tell.
Very good additional point. I'm surprised I didn't point that out.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 09-30-2004, 03:24 PM   #330
Mercutio

Presidential debate tonight!!! 9:00-10:30 Eastern. Everybody watch .

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:28 PM   #331
Janny
The Blobbit

*Is not Eastern. Has stupid UK TV. Pouts*

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:35 PM   #332
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Will it be too late for Newsnight?

EDIT: *Is stupid*. Of course it will.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:38 PM   #333
Janny
The Blobbit

If it weren't it would probably not be shown... uninteruppted coverage from the Green Party conference or something...

It's actually too late for the morning papers too. Radio tomorrow it is.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:30 PM   #334
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
If it weren't it would probably not be shown... uninteruppted coverage from the Green Party conference or something...

It's actually too late for the morning papers too. Radio tomorrow it is.
You should be able to get it on the web too. Most things like this are available on the web for several days. (If you have high speed access)

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 09-30-2004, 05:38 PM   #335
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Unfortunately I'll be working when they're showing the debate here in Norway. JD, could you provide any links when it's come?

I'm not very familiar with American web-papers and I don't have much time to fool around looking for it.

Last edited by Falagar : 09-30-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:50 PM   #336
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falagar
Unfortunately I'll be working when they're showing the debate here in Norway. JD, could you provide any links when it's come?

I'm not very familiar with American web-papers and I don't have much time to fool around looking for it.
No problem. Actually I would recommend going with C-SPAN . They should have it available because they had the National Conventions on their website before. I'll keep an eye open for them though - because they won't post the links until during or after the broadcast. C-SPAN is a really good source.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-01-2004, 01:32 AM   #337
jerseydevil

Here is the debate from C-SPAN - it should open up real player

If you can't see it go to this page - Presidentiall Debates.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-01-2004, 02:48 AM   #338
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

missed most of the debate - oldest son at late orthodontic appt ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-01-2004, 04:57 AM   #339
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Yeah, and so's putting litter into bins instead of dropping it at your feet.

The difference, of course, is that you are not being asked to fundamentally change the way you do your job. It seems naive to attempt reform of an entire profession like this and expect it just to happen without proper funding.

To reiterate my view of the introduction of standards in the UK, they've only worked because there have been resources put behind them (for training, curriculum development and for teachers' pay). EVen then, many teachers feel they have to spend more and more time on paperwork and testing when they should be teaching.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:10 AM   #340
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Round 1 of the Ugly Contest

OK, so what are the verdicts?

THe papers here seem to range between a "victory on points for Kerry" (Times) to a stronger "first blood to Kerry" (Guardian). The NY Times seems to lean towards Kerry too.

It would be particularly interesting to hear from people who were, or are, undecided.
Closed Thread