Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 04:30 PM   #321
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

yes, but Khamul's boss would want to keep unfortunate "accidental" deaths at his Uni to a minimum for now, wouldn't he?
And maybe the lonely elf professor of Jewelry might want to confide in an elven friend? It seems like the Chancellor is one who would keep all his options open.

(ps - I edited my post above yours - please check it out)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #322
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
ok, I can see that, Gordis.

I'd really like for Rian to attend the uni, though - will that be ok? Any ideas how to work her in? I'd like to take Swan, Jewelry, and of course Commerce! The fact that Earniel speaks of her highly would help, I imagine, and also the uni must have some sort of diversity plan, right? Elves of her type that want to attend U of T are pretty rare!
Of course you may become a student (just let Earniel ask the Chancellor nicely at the Reception, he is such a charming man, you won't believe it! )

Diversity plan, I am afraid, was not yet invented

And you may become an assistent of Mahtiliel later, gradually. She is not acquainted with you yet!
Old 10-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #323
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Of course you may become a student (just let Earniel ask the Chancellor nicely at the Reception, he is such a charming man, you won't believe it! )
ok, thanks! That will be fun

Quote:
Diversity plan, I am afraid, was not yet invented
*heehee!*

Quote:
And you may become an assistent of Mahtiliel later, gradually. She is not acquainted with you yet!
OK, we'll see what Willow and I think as the rpg goes on. I'm not sure it would work out, but it might.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #324
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

GOR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
what's the feeling though ref the rpg? ; though the uni is one large central plank ... we will not be truly sea worthy without the larger tharbad city playing a part ... what say you all?
Quote:
No the Uni is not a park, all those green squares and rectangles on the map are buildings!

PLANK! not park!

i wonder what you thought the "sea-worthy" bit was about??

LOL!
very best, BB
Old 10-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #325
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

At last had time to read the posts in the Main. Wonderful, earniel & Rian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
yes, but Khamul's boss would want to keep unfortunate "accidental" deaths at his Uni to a minimum for now, wouldn't he?
And maybe the lonely elf professor of Jewelry might want to confide in an elven friend? It seems like the Chancellor is one who would keep all his options open.
Yes but you must consider that the Morgul Lord's subordinates are an unruly bunch! They kill first and ask for permission later.

Only the quiet Aiwendis had the decency to ask, before preparing her special cocktail for the Hated Crow- Mahtaliel. I imagine the Chancellor's wrath, if the Elf got killed like that, before having a chance to spill anything of her secrets!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:13 PM   #326
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, Willow - if I could be an assistant as a kind of "favor" thing, that would probably work out (I know some interesting styles from Gondolin, etc.) - would that work with your character? I'm not sure, though - she might want to not be "hired" for awhile ... gotta think some more. Ideas welcomed!!!
Mahtaliel just wants an assistant, hired or not, I was thinking Rian could cover the Art History/Theory class.

Maybe she could enter as a Graduate Student and Teaching Assistant? Given that we seem to be operating with a fairly modern view of what goes on in a university, that would probably fit quite well.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #327
Rían

Yes, that's sounding good, Willow ... hmm, let me flesh out that thought a bit ... I'm thinking something like Rian enjoys jewelry-making and would consider it a great opportunity to work alongside someone like Mahtaliel, as she would be sure to pick up some good info, and she would teach some classes as a favor in return?

Old 10-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #328
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Yes but you must consider that the Morgul Lord's subordinates are an unruly bunch! They kill first and ask for permission later.
So Rian's hunch, when she met Khamul, about daggers having a mind of their own was right?

Old 10-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #329
Rían

Hey, Lotesse is on!

*jumps up and down*

Look at our new posts, Lotesse! All sorts of fun things brewing!

Old 10-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #330
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Thanks, he'll have a busy evening tonight. What with battling Udu and sacking Rian. How will he manage?

Lotesse, are you still going to be having a look round King Val's place, to see if you can find the Ring?
Hi, TD - No, Viv already DID that, many posts ago, remember?

Hey, you guys - I am at an internet cafe right now, as I'm still in the long, arduous process of moving house, and still don't have my own computer to use. I just now logged on, so I have a lot of reading and catching up to do. So, for the time being, Viv is out riding her beautiful new horse - THANK you, Shah! BTW Shah, I got your PM the other day, but I was at one of those stupid computers where you put dollars in for a limited amount of time, then it shuts down on you - I had written you this nice letter, and was trying to send it, when Whammo! the freakin' computer shuts off. Freakin' public computers.

Well, you guys, I haven't the slightest idea what to post for Viv and Penny now; I'm just too preoccupied with RL and stuff like that. Crazy Squirrel, I was SO very happy to see you post again the other day! Voodoo on that meanie Khamul is an excellent idea; Viv hopes he collapses at the reception and makes a fool of himself! That mean old Khamul. Maybe if I get a chance, I'll write in Viv helping Lilly out in that department. Anyway...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-11-2005, 05:42 PM   #331
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

heh! lotesse is back ... i was worried about you!

still moving huh?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #332
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

edit to erase since it was a duplicate of above post because these stupid public computers don't know diddly-squat about how to function properly. Meh.

Yep, still moving. I fear this will take the rest of my time on this planet. MOVING SUX.

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-11-2005 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:52 PM   #333
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

you wanna take a profeessor character to do wine tasting and/or wine appreciation? you certainly know your wines!

we're trying to assign professors out...

bumble will be teaching viv western philosophy ... could be a bit mad...
Old 10-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #334
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Maybe, but right now I'm swamped with RL, so not right away; perhaps a little bit down the road...

Old 10-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #335
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Nice posts, everyone! LOT of posts. Gordis, I personally LOVE the MM's "She-elf" hissing! They remind me of the step-sisters in Cinderella.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #336
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Thanx, Lotesse! I am glad you are back if only for a while!

Yes it will be great it you will help Lilly with her spell, either as Penny, or Viv or both.

And if you like my MM's feel free to use them! They are nice human girls, rightfully concerned that some meanie elves are going to steal Val from them.
Wish you luck in Real Life. Put your computer in place first thing and forget all the rest!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #337
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

You BET I will!

Old 10-11-2005, 07:20 PM   #338
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Oran
According to the registration scenes the classes, and those taking them are these:

Taught by the Chancellor-
Bridge Building: Penny, Val
Ship Building: Ray, Val

Taught by Bumbledore-
Commerce: Val, Marty, Ray, Earniel, Annawen, Lily, 6 other unspecified girls

Taught by Mahtaliel-
Jewelry-Making: Viv, Ray
Embalming: Val, Aiwendis

Taught by Khamul-
Swan Speech: Earniel

Taught by Udu:
Siege Tactics: Marty, Ray, Penny

Here are the classes that had no professor specified but that our student character registered for, I've tried to group them together into similar subject matters with possible professors to teach them in italics.

Mahtaliel
Sword Smithing: Marty, Ray
Art History/Art Theory: Viv
Chancellor
Structural Engineering: Viv
Defensive Building: Marty
Bumbledore
Western Philosophy: Viv
Udu
Military History of Middle Earth: Viv
Wine Tasting: Lily, Viv, Val
Khamul
Swamp Ecology: Earniel
Irrigation: Earniel

Thoughts? Verifications? Amnesiac denials?
Willow,

Yes, Udu will teach Military History of Middle Earth. He would also enjoy "Wine Tasting" if he could just keep sober.

A question: Does Mahtaliel's jewelry making class involve the use of a forge and pouring and tempering of metal, etc.? Of course, swordsmithing would involve metallurgy.

Question for all: In this RPG, how can the aversion of the Nazgul to fire be handled? Are we going by the assumption that ALL fire bothers them, or just fire wielded AGAINST them in a threatening manner? Remember, at Pelennor, the Witch-king's sword had supernatural fire running down the blade when he challenged Gandalf. What about ACTUAL fire in which some material is being combusted?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #339
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
Question for all: In this RPG, how can the aversion of the Nazgul to fire be handled? Are we going by the assumption that ALL fire bothers them, or just fire wielded AGAINST them in a threatening manner? Remember, at Pelennor, the Witch-king's sword had supernatural fire running down the blade when he challenged Gandalf. What about ACTUAL fire in which some material is being combusted?
Actually this interesting question has never been properly discussed. I figure that the nazgul would not like fire. I don't say they would be so afraid of it as not being able to approach it at need...But still it must be disturbing. So, working at a forge will really be a challenge.
But I remember several of us, nazgul, have already sat near a fire for pure pleasure. That I don't buy. With the Chancellor, I handled the situation by making him kindle some magic blue flames, giving no warmth and little light, or change the actual fire in the fireplace into it. So he sat near that fire.
And what do you propose, Udu?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #340
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

She'll most likely start her students off with pre-made settings, teaching more about the gem stones and their properties etc. She may get into the forging later or she may get spooked by the events around her and keep away from that. It depends.

I'll need to talk to Sane about the smithing class, she knows far more about the topic than I do. Bit of irony that...
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Closed Thread