Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-19-2005, 02:41 PM   #321
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Constable BB was exceptionally drunk ... he staggered out of the 'Singing Swan' to a roudy tavern chorus of "Evenin' all!" with a big broad smile on his face ... walking leerily home he decided that since the Guv was away just now and that there would be no one in the Watch currently available to miss him, as Sir Elmur Phudd was away hunting for a day or two ... possibly longer since he'd sworn he'd bring back a mighty kill - that could take many, many days, mused the constable with a chuckle ... so he'd take the morning off ... after all, he thought, looking at the beguiling two moons spinning luminously in the night air, all was well: and that's how he liked it!

As the bell tower tolled eerily and dully in the thick grey swirling fog entombing the City as the last dull echoes of the tenth peal ended the City Crier called out "All's Well!"

Ahhh! that'd be reet' then, thought the constable, beginning a bawdy whistling tune ... he staggered off towards his warm bed and young wife.

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-19-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:37 PM   #322
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Between the dances, Aiwendis had time to return back to her seat to have a conversation with the elderly gentleman on her left, Estelmo. She felt she hadn't paid him enough attention during the meal. He proved to be a fine person, nice and gentle, though Aiwendis knew for certain that the old warrior would die defending his King, if he as much as suspected some danger coming from the serene young lady before him.

"We were old friends, your father and I, or rather your Grandfather, Lord Veantur, and I.", said Estelmo. "He was a great man, Captain of the Moon Tower. We all grieved for his loss". Then, looking at Lord Ilmenzor, now dancing with Lady Earniel, he continued. "Pity your father has no time for me today. Perhaps we could meet sometime later, I would be happy to hear what befell him since we last met".

"It pains my father to tell his story", replied Aiwendis sadly. "A great darkness has touched him, leaving pain and grief in its wake. And hardly had he recovered his full health, when another blow smote him. I believe, you heard about my mother, Lady Isilien, and her fate."

"Yes, fair Lady, replied Estelmo gravely, bowing his head. "Dark tales of her tragic demise reached us in the North. Please, accept my condolences".

Aiwendis felt tears coming to her eyes. She had been so happy as Lady Isilien, that now she felt as if she herself died that fiery night. Estelmo bent to her and patted her shoulder gently. "Forgive an old man for distressing you, my dear Lady, I was a fool even to start this talk. Forget it, and go dance with fine young men yonder. I would have invited you for a dance myself, but for my lame leg. Go, my dear."

Aiwendis went around the table heading to the dancing floor. She noticed Khamul has shrunk in his chair again, his jaw clenched in agony and eyes wild. She thught of approaching the Easterling, but decided against it. It was plain dangerous.

Maethor has just finished his dance with Miriel, while Malaphel waited impatiently. There were far too many young girls at the reception. Udu had clearly drunk much, but was quite steady on his feet, as usual. Seeing approaching Aiwendis, Maethor apologized to Malaphel, and bowed before Aiwendis. Smiling, Aiwendis took his arm. She needed to talk to him very much.

"Have you seen what has happened to Khamul?" she asked in thought. "Do you know who did it?"

Udu smiled derisively. "I know I had nothing to do with it, though the Easterling seems to think otherwise. Whoever it was, I would raise my goblet to him, as that mongrel dog Khamul got what he long deserved."

Aiwendis seemed troubled by Usu's words, as she turned her head slightly and stole an apprehensive glance at the Easterling.
"It is Lilaenwen and Buzukkumarz. They are in Tharbad as well, posing as Galadannun's siblings. Khamul almost killed Lilly today for a small fault. But now, this very night, he will finish what he started, if only we let him! Could you go to Orrodel and warn them?". Aiwendis's grey eyes looked at Udu pleadingly.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:32 PM   #323
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

"It was, no I can't say. I won't betray the, you know what I'm like" said Viv.
"Udu? Was it him? Where does he come into all of this ," replied Khamûl.
"Udu?" said Viv, shocked. "He wasn't involved. I only knew he was in Tharbad when arrived here."
"What do you mean it wasn't him. He must have had something to do with this. No one else is that reckless. They surely wouldn't be stupid enough to try and hurt me," replied Khamûl, turning leaving Viv standing alone. Khamûl went back to his seat. So it wasn't Udu, or so said Viv. Yet they had been good friends, it was Udu who had taught Viv all that she knew about blade skill's.

Suddenly Khamûl felt hot. It was a cool night and a few of the windows had been opened, yet Khamûl's body temperature was swiftly rising. Quickly a grabbed his goblet and filled it with icy water which he drank quickly. No change. He was burning up. Did it have anything to do the earlier attack. It must do. They (whoever they were) must be burning the figure. Khamûl saw Aiwendis turn from Estelmo and walk towards him. He would explain to her what was happening, ask her what she thought. Just as she was about to reach the new Professer she subtly turned away thinking beeter of talking to him when he was obviously in so much pain.

Aiwendis walked over to Maethor who had just finished a dance with one of the Governer's daughters. After a minute of looking and presumably 'speaking' Maethor turned and left that hall, just as Khamûl's pain began to ease. Khamûl quickly go up and made his way over towards Aiwendis before noe of the many waiting rochodol players could ask the beautiful daughter of the Chancellor for the next dance.
"My lady," said Khamûl.
"My Lord," she replied.
"Tell me what you know of what happened earlier," said the Shadow of the East, switching to silent communications to avoid being overheard.
"Well I do know it wasn't Udu if that's what you think," replied Aiwendis.
"Lilaenwen and Buzukkumarz?". questioned Khamûl.
Yes," said Aiwendis. Khamûl turned but Aiwendis managed to grab hold of an arm. "I have sent Udu over. I advise you not to do anything rash. I doubt the Chancellor would approve."
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 10-20-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:45 PM   #324
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Valandil walked over to the two ladies from Gondolin. Eärniel noted with mixed emotions that his eyes had the same light in them that had shone just a few days ago when he had looked upon her in Nîn in Eilph, only tonight it was very much heightened. R*an watched her friend's varying complexion with interest, as the King opened his mouth to speak.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-19-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:50 PM   #325
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

During the break between dances Mahtaliel caught sight of the Chancellor leaving the floor and recalled her promise to speak to him. Best take care of that now while he seemed in a tolerable mood and before she started getting tipsy.

"I'll be back in just a bit lads." She told Jas and Bumble, "I've got to ask the Chancellor about something."

The two men shakily raised their goblets, "Good luck," Bumble intoned with mock solemnity, "Should you two do eachother in at last we'll be there to pick up the pieces."

Mahtaliel laughed, and left them to their wine, willing her good mood not to vanish as she approached the Chancellor.

"Professor," he greeted her neutrally, "What think you of tonight?"

"Better than some," she answered guardedly, "We'll have an interesting mix of students this year."

"A diplomatic way of putting it," he observed dryly, "Tell me, what is it you need? You've never sought me out for purely social reasons before, there must be something."

It was the way he always had to be right about everything that irritated her, Mahtaliel decided. Even when he was playing at being patient he was always manipulating people to do and say what he wanted them to. And the worst part was, it worked, burying her annoyance Mahtaliel answered smoothly:
"I was speaking to Lady Earniel's companion earlier and she expressed a desire to join certain of the classes, however as the date for registration was past she was somewhat nervous about requesting to do so and asked if I would speak on her behalf."

"And?"

"We've a relatively small class this year, one more student wouldn't add to the load significantly, and if she wishes to learn she has more to recommend her than some of the noble's sons or daughters who are here merely because their parents demand it."

"Why do I believe that even if I said no, I would visit your classrooms and find her there?"

"You know my policy Lord Chancellor, anyone who wishes an education will receive it someway or another, if you deny her as a student, I am in need of a teaching assistant and unless drastic changes have occured without my knowing teaching assistants can be hired by the heads of the departments without other intervention."

"Meaning me." His tone sounded almost amused.

"Primarily, yes." No point in dishonesty.

"Professor... let's not argue here in public. I'm sure the school enjoys our duels but is it really appropriate for this event? If you say we can handle another student, very well. I will let you take care of the details since you are so adamant. Now please, no more buisness for this evening."

Mahtaliel regarded him suspiciously, tempted to ask what he had been drinking. No argument? At all? Either he was drugged or very, very preoccupied.
More likely the latter. Ah well, it had made that interaction easier.

"Agreed then, though on subject of non-buisness..." Mahtaliel had spotted one of the new professor preparing to slip away, "My lord, perhaps now would be a good time to announce the pie throwing, Professors Bumbledore and Fernick are very much looking forward to it, should our new colleagues slip away before hand they would be most dissapointed..."
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-19-2005, 09:07 PM   #326
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

After the unpleasantness with Khamûl, the evening had passed rather well, Udu thought. The vintages of wine from the university cellars had proven exceptionally good. During the dancing, Miriel had not stomped all over his feet, and he was grateful for that. Actually, she was an adequate dancer, even though she did dress ostentatiously, and her perfume, which she had applied in too liberal doses, smelled strongly of apricot, a scent of which he was not overly fond.

He had just been about to ask Malaphel for another dance when Aiwendis approached. He sensed that Aiwendis was concerned about something. After apologizing to Malaphel, he walked arm-in-arm with Aiwendis away from the crowd.

"It is Lilaenwen and Buzukkumarz. They are in Tharbad as well, posing as Galadannun's siblings. Khamul almost killed Lilly today for a small fault. But now, this very night, he will finish what he started, if only we let him! Could you go to Orrodel and warn them?" she spoke to him by thought.

He was alarmed with what she told him and replied in thought, “Yes, my lady, I will hasten there immediately to warn them. I am not quite sure where Orrodel is; however, but if you will give me some directions, I will go there posthaste.

After she had given him instructions on how to find Orrodel, he announced in a loud voice for all to hear, “I am feeling a bit ill. I fear perhaps the old malady I contracted in the East has come upon me again. I offer my apologies to all. Perhaps if I go out for a while and walk about, I shall feel better. The evening has been very enjoyable, but I regret that I must take my leave early.”

Aiwendis said consolingly, “I am sorry to hear that and pray that you feel better quickly.”

Aiwendis offered him her hand to kiss. He bent slightly from the waist and taking her hand in his, he lightly brushed over the back of it with his lips, a formal, courtly gesture, and then looked into her eyes. With a nod to her, he turned away and began walking back through the reception hall, saying goodnight to first one and then another, apologizing for his early departure. A servant brought him his blue cloak as he walked into the entryway and he threw it about his shoulders.

He heard someone calling his name as he walked through the doorway, and he thought he recognized the voice of the elf professor. “What is that sharp-tongued creature blathering about now? Something about pies!”

The doorman at the door of this end of the university opened it before him, and Udu strode past him without a word. The doorman scratched his head at the cold demeanor of Maethor as he passed him.

Outside, Udu found that the fog from the river was swirling low about the city, damp and thick. He enjoyed nights like this and felt a kinship for the darkness and the mists. He pulled his hood over his head as he walked out across the campus. After making his way through the East Gate, he turned left, striding north towards Orrodel. The streets were almost vacant and very quiet. He stood on the street outside, looking up at the gables, the towers, the unusual decorations on the building, and took in its vast size.

The fog was dense and somewhere he heard a clock toll out half past the hour. He walked up to the building and rapped on the main door. He turned his head slowly from side to side, sure that he was being watched by eyes unseen and unknown, and quietly slid out the dagger from the sheath at his belt.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:28 PM   #327
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

After a bow to the two Elven ladies, Valandil pulled himself erect. His first words died on his lips for he saw that the Chancellor was just offering his arm to Earniel, preparing to lead her onto the dance floor. Ever trying to make the best of a situation he thought that perhaps he could dance with her later, but her black-haired friend was lovely as well, and those other two were drawing nearer.

"May I have the pleasure of this dance?" he asked Rian, bowing slightly once again.

"Why yes, you certainly may, Your Highness." said Rian, her eyes steadily gazing into his.

So they danced, and they talked. They talked about the countryside in different parts of Eriador; the rocky coasts, the rolling plains, the deep dark forests and the flowing rivers. Rian had visited Evendim long ago - even before the Men of Numenor first arrived there. They also spoke about the exotic food served this evening; the skewers with grilled meat and vegetables, the grape leaves rolled into a tube about a mixture of rice, meat and herbs - and those flaky-crusted honey-cakes!

Suddenly, amid their dancing Rian stopped and took a half-step back, saying, "Oh my!"

"Pardon me," responded Valandil. "This sword is rather unwieldy for dancing with, but I hold it dear as a connection with my father." He reached down to adjust the sword, only to find that this time it was NOT his sword! "Uh-oh..."

"Milady," said the King, looking deeply into Rian's eyes and straining to keep the embarrassment from his face. "I doubt that Elven feet would tire... but would it be uncomfortable for you to continue this dance?" and he drew her closely against himself once more.

Rian, seeing the troubled look in his face and hearing the stiffness of his voice replied tenderly, "Let us dance, Oh High King."

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 10-20-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:20 AM   #328
Valandil

Oreturion stood leaning his back against a wall, beside a fireplace, slowly sipping a drink. He had eaten little - and he most certainly did not feel like socializing this night. Yet he felt no need to keep up a constant guard now, either for himself or for his king - for if there had been any danger, he sensed that it had passed. Or perhaps he simply concluded this based on what he had experienced.

He had been mastered. It had been nearly 80 years since he had been 'put in his place' like he was tonight - and THAT time it had been by Elendil. He wondered who, but he began to have a good idea.

At first his chief suspect was the King himself. He knew well that those with great potential would sometimes make great leaps in their mental abilities - and thought that perhaps the King had decided to teach him some lesson or other - or test an experiment upon him. But it did not feel like the mind of young Valandil.

Also at first, he had resisted. But he quickly found that he could not bust out of it. The natural instinct was to fight it initially - and then eventually to lapse into surrender. However, Oreturion's mind had taken over - his thinking mind - and he had decided to probe it, rather than attempt to force it. It was this that guided his conclusion.

Looking about those gathered suggested several possible culprits - many of unknown quantity.

But how a man as broken as he had been could possibly... it was beyond Oreturion's imagining. And to what possible end?

Of course it was gone now. It had only lasted for the beginning of the meal - while the King was drinking from the cup, and for a short time thereafter. There must have been something to do with that cup. Or something happening during that time.

Just then, the Chancellor caught his eye and approached him. "Oreturion, are you enjoying this evening?" he asked with a slight smile.

"Despite the immensity of these chambers, Lord Ilmenzor, I have found myself feeling rather... claustrophobic." and he fixed his expressionless eyes steadily upon those of the other.

For his part, the Chancellor maintained his smile as he replied, "Yes well - perhaps the night air will remedy that. You can find an open courtyard through those doors across the room. For myself," and he sighed, "Time has not yet served to remove from me the memory of the one whom I held so dear, but a host should perform his proper duties."

The Chancellor then turned about and walked toward Earniel, asking her to dance just before Valandil arrived, apparently intent on the very same mission.

Oreturion continued to watch.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 10-20-2005 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:08 AM   #329
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

When the dance was over, Eärniel excused herself from the Chancellor with a smally curtsy and left the dance floor. She walked through the open doors into the gardens of the university for the cooler air outside.

There were more people who had had the same idea, for Eärniel could hear talking and soft laughter here and there in the darkening night. Lanterns were hung in the gardens also so that those who wished to escape the warmer reception hall for a while had light enough to see by.

Eärniel walked a little further away from the lights and people. She had enough by starlight to see. Momentarily saved from the legions of humans packed close together in the reception hall, she opened her mind and let her senses wander. She had been blocking everything out all night and it was becoming strenuous because she hadn't need to do that for many years. Now she had a short relief, they wouldn't miss her immediatly in the reception hall.

She heardly faintly the tell-tale sound of a fountain. A fountain! Eärniel's eyes lit up at the thought. She loved the sound of falling water. And she still had a few minutes before she should return to the hall...

She walked lightly over the darkened paths of the garden towards the sound of the fountain. The air smelt faintly of jasmine. She finally caught sight of the fountain, and it was beautiful indeed. She started to walk to it, to bath her hands in the bubbling water, when she sensed something and stopped in her tracks.

She concentrated. Yes, somebody had been weaving spells here. It was the second time this night she came across something like this. Where had humans suddenly picked up these skills? Or was it something else? But the presence of this spell was already fading, it must have been preformed a day or two days before at the most.

If Eärniel had passed that way again the next day, she would not have perceived it. But now that she was alone here in the faint moon light, with her mind open, she had picked up the weak trace. Yet it was already too weak to find out what kind of spell it had been.

She ran her fingertips through the cool surface of the water but the fountain was suddenly not so alluring anymore. And she realised she shouldn't linger outside over long. She turned back. With many things on her mind, she hurried back to the lighted building of the hall.

Last edited by Earniel : 10-25-2005 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:14 AM   #330
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Nodding curtly to Aiwendis, Khamul went to the table and poured himself more cold water. There was no way to know if the Easterling would follow her advice. Had he even believed her? Khamul was well aware that the Numenoreans among the Nine preferred to stick together, so perhaps the Cruel Easterner thought she had lied to protect Udu? Aiwendis suddenly felt sick with worry. If so, she just sent Udu into a trap!

Biting her lip, Aiwendis searched for the Chancellor, but found him speaking with the dour and scary Mahtaliel the Elf. Having finished with her, he moved to talk to Oreturion, another dangerous man. Aiwendis was afraid even to send a thought to her Captain, while he was with either of those two. At this moment, a one-eyed polo player bowed before her.

" Lady Aiwendis, will you honor me with a dance?"
Aiwendis turned to him. What was his name? Yes, Martalion. Well, there was no possible escape.
"Gladly, my Lord", she replied demurely and took his arm. He has shown himself a good dancer and his humorous conversation could have pleased Aiwendis, were she not so badly upset.

She scanned the dancing floor, looking over Martalion's shoulder. The King was quite close to them. He was dancing with a dark-haired Elf, and, seemingly, was having another problem with his long sword. As Aiwendis watched, the two of them stepped from each other and looked down, probably at the sword hilt. At the next turn, Aiwendis saw them dancing again, Valandil pressing the Elf to him possessively. It looked like the potion worked well.

Aiwendis tried to find Khamul, but failed to spot him. He was not among the dancers. The Morgul Lord and the Lady of Swanfleet were not far away, dancing expertly. Aiwendis dared to send a thought "My Lord, I have to talk to you about Khamul. I am most worried". A cold reply flashed back "No time now. Khamul is pretty able to look after himself. Dance with the King and see how the potion works." Aiwendis tried again, but her thought returned to her, blocked. The Captain was not going to repeat his orders.

Defeated, Aiwendis curtsied to Martalion, as the dance ended, and looked for the King. But the King and the Elf were not going to stop, pressed against each other, they seem lost in their own private world...

Another rochdol player approached, bowed, and took Aiwendis in his arms. She smiled and replied mechanically. The dance seemed unending.

Last edited by Gordis : 10-22-2005 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:46 AM   #331
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Next evening, upon meeting up with the two wolves, Old Grey and White Patch snuck off towards a by Falco indicated secret doorway in the Walls of Tharbad.

It led by a narrow corridor into a deserted house which lay close to the eastern end of the citywall.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:12 PM   #332
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

R*an turned from examining her friend's interesting variations of complexion and prepared to greet the approaching king. As Valandil bowed, prepatory to what R*an guessed would be asking Eärniel to dance with him, the Chancellor suddenly appeared and beat him to it, whisking Eärniel off to the dance floor with what seemed to be unnecessary haste.

Valandil, ever the gentleman, made another small bow and, expertly masking his disappointment, courteously asked R*an to dance. She assented with pleasure. What she had heard of the king from others, and the little contact she had had with him, had led her to think highly of his character, integrity, and talents, and he seemed to truly love his people and land. And he was good-looking, to boot!

Valandil lead her onto the dance floor and encircled her slender waist with a firm arm, and, pulling her close, he guided them expertly in among the other dancers who were enjoying one of the slower dances of the evening.

What came next took R*an completely by surprise.

It was his smell that did it.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 10-20-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:16 PM   #333
Rían

R*an's heart had been awakened, from what had been quite a long (self-imposed) sleep, by the note she received that afternoon along with the beautiful mare, Hwesta. Those lines were very dear to her - in fact, they were a part of her very being, for her human father had composed them for his proposal to her elven mother, knowing of the differing fates of the two kindred.

"Fair and lovely as thou art,
Thou hast stolen my very heart,
I can die - but cannot part -
My lovely lady."

They had deemed their love worth any pain that might come after, and put their estel, or hope, in the hands of the All-Father, Eru Ilúvatar, the One who created love. Their union had been blessed by two children - a son, Alagos, and a daughter, R*an.

R*an loved to be in her father's arms and hear the story of how, fatherless and motherless, wandering in the woods to get away from relatives who considered him a burden, he had fallen from a tree and injured himself, only to be found by an elf-maiden with a heart for healing and a mind that could see beyond outward appearances. She would snuggle up close to his chest, breathing in his familiar smell, as he told her of his love for her mother and how he left his people to join with hers. She loved both her parents dearly, but as she grew older, she saw that her father was changing, in ways that her playmates' fathers were not.

One day, she overheard some of her playmates talking about how her father was growing older in a way their fathers weren't, and she ran away and climbed into her favorite tree to cry, for they had verbalized what she had been trying to not think about. Her father found her, though, and she climbed down and ran to his arms, smelling his familiar smell, and railed against the fate that would take him from her so soon. It was then that he had said that verse to her for the first time, and told her that his love for her was an eternal thing, although they would be parted physically for a time.

"Our estel - our hope - is not in fate, my little tree-climbing bird-girl; it is in a person. Eru Ilúvatar IS love, and will not separate forever those who love. I will see you again, sweetheart. Do not fear."

When the time came for her father to depart from this world, her brother's friend Tyaron was a great comfort to her. He had always been kind to her growing up, and sometimes had protected her from her brother's wilder antics (he was born on a stormy, windy night, and his mother-name, Alagos ("wind-storm") reflected his personality well, as mother-names usually did). One time a friend of hers had found a beautiful feather. All the little girls ooh-ed and aah-ed over it, including R*an. Tyaron, looking up from his game with Alagos, saw R*an's face. After the game was over, Tyaron left for a walk in the woods. He was gone for a week (not unusual for elven children, who were at home in nature) and one day R*an, looking up from some work she was attempting, saw him in front of her with not only a feather, but the entire bird held gently in his hands and offered to her.

As the years passed, they started a transition from childhood friends to lovers (in the wonderful old-fashioned sense of the word - a wooer and his intended), but it didn't go smoothly or quickly, and didn't go to completion. Tyaron was patient, for he saw that moving too fast scared R*an away - she still had unhealed wounds from her father's death, and her friends couldn't relate to her in this area to help her in the healing process. She also found that Tyaron, like all the other elven men, just somehow lacked something that she knew and loved in her father. So she started to act just slightly more distant towards him than she really felt, and he backed off. Elves have a lot of time, and he wanted all of her, and thought the best way to achieve this was to give her time and space.

She was also trying to come to terms with not being quite the same as her friends in many small ways, and would usually just try to cover up and act like them because she got tired of the odd looks. Tuor's coming to Gondolin, and his marriage to the king's daughter Idril (who was a great friend of her mother before, and even closer now, with their shared experience of human husbands), and the birth of their son, Eärendil, was a wonderful thing for her, and she was often in the king's household. Soon she would only see Tyaron on occasion, but he always made her heart beat just a little faster, although she wouldn't admit it.

Then came that night with the people arrayed on the walls of Gondolin for the festival, when the light came too early, and came in the west instead of the east. Tyaron, fighting with the house of Tuor (for he was a brave and able fighter, and was aligned with the house of the Swan), found her amid the confusion, and taking her face in his battle-stained hands, spoke that very same verse to her (he knew her parents' story). He told her that his heart was hers - "If you ever come to want it," he added with an enigmatic smile - and that he would find her in this world or the next. He then kissed her for the first time, and disappeared into the masses.

She never saw him again. Now that her heart finally saw clearly, she lost him in the mists.

The historians have noted how it was the very reeks and fumes of Morgoth that were the salvation of the remnant of Gondolin, for Tuor and Idril and their son, bright Eärendil, along with a small host of others, were able to escape through a secret passageway and across the plains unseen, shielded by the smoke. But the smoke and fumes also separated the refugees, and they ended up in several groups and became widely sundered. As the years went by, on occasion one would meet with a wandering elf from Gondolin, and the questions would start - did you see so-and-so? Have you heard anything about so-and-so? and on and on. On rare occasions, there would be a wonderful surprise; mostly, there was sorrow, but at least there was closure.

But she had never heard anything about her lover and her brother.

Her father she knew about. Her mother she knew about. But she didn't know about the fate of her brother and her lover.

And now, as the King drew her close, she smelled a familiar smell - the human smell - and her heart felt like bursting. Without thinking what she was doing, she moved in closer to his body and leaned in intimately against him.

Last edited by Rían : 10-20-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:46 PM   #334
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Viniglaen & Raendil Dance

As Ray was catching up with his best friend Marty, he noticed out of the corner of his eye what appeared to be a terse, yet brief conversation between Viniglaen and her older brother. She left Professor Galadannun, noticing him noticing her, and came over to say hi.

"My Lady Viv!" greeted Marty enthusiastically, with a wide smile. "How've you been as of late? I hear you are getting along swimmingly with my main man, here," and with that, Marty gave Ray a playful punch in the arm.

"It's been a great couple days, to be sure," smiled Viv in response, but her eyes told Ray she was not smiling within. The heat of constrained aggressive annoyance was making her eyes blaze brilliantly twilight blue, and flashes of cool amethyst flickered now and then from the depths.

"I'd like the next dance, Ray, if you feel like it, " she said.

"Are you kidding?" said Ray, as he handed his drink to his friend, and took her arm. "I can't imagine NOT feeling like dancing with you."

"All right, all right, take it easy," said Viv, "no need to overdo it."

He leaned in close to her, holding her arm, and as they made their way to the dance floor, and took formation with the others to start a traditional waltz, he quoted, with a twinkle in his eye:

"It's certain that fine women eat
A crazy salad with their meat."

That put a REAL smile on Viniglaen's face. He had picked up on her frantic fury, without using art or craft, merely by having gotten to know her for her. He had felt she'd want to remain close-lipped about what was truly bothering her so badly, and, gentleman that he was, he had acknowledged her frustration without interfering or asking questions. Ray could not possibly have known, though, just how thoroughly she'd noted this, and how much it had, for the moment, made her feel less alone, less trapped within herself.

As they took to the dance steps, his strong, large hand upon the small of her back, her softly tousled head bent inward and dispassionately glancing out, he could smell upon her soft neck the rosewater essence she liked to use, mingled with her own unique and intoxicating scent. It made him close his eyes, only for a moment, and in doing so he accidentally lightly stepped on her polished boot. She didn't mind, and they didn't fall out of step.

Marty, watching them dance, saw quite clearly that these two had something more going on than just being playmates. 'It's about time Raendil found a good woman to open up to,' he was thinking, 'but I wish I didn't have to feel so annoyed by it. He better not be spending ALL his time with her. What, I gotta take care of Val all by myself now? ' Marty was loathe to admit to himself that he was feeling a bit jealous of his friend, so he shook the thoughts out of his head and turned to refill his goblet.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-20-2005, 06:06 PM   #335
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

OOC: Ooh La La...

He really couldn't believe his good luck. And Ray happily dug into his plate, sampling the spicer dishes, to his delight. Having always been adventurous in his taste for food, he sampled most everything he didnt recognize. He leaning back, he looked over the dinner guests on his side of the table, finding Marty happily squished between two female elvish guests. Both of whom, he recognized. The first at his soon to be jewelery teacher, the other as the major domo at Viv's! Ray laughed into his kabab, and took a sip of his wine. He got a chuckle at Val botching up his first try at the toast, Ray roared out with the rest of the crowed for him to drain it in a go.

Marty leaned back and caught Ray's eye, and a grin passed between them. They were both enjoying themselves very much! Shortly there after, the exotic dancers were brought in, and Ray tried not to stare too hard. After all, he and Val were raised by elves, and both his mother and Val's were very modest, so neither of them were used to scantly clad women dancing for them. He was secretly thankful of Ilmenzor's spent time in the east. Soon, it was the guests turn to dance, as he got up Marty came down and they went to the corner to have a chat.

"Aha, I see you managed to FINALLY ask a girl out!" Marty toasted him and clinked his wine glass against Ray's. Whom was trying not to turn pink.

"I, um...Well, it's only fitting she come and all. Yeah, we had fun. She is one hell of a woman, I find. I do hope you were talking about classes with professor Mahtaliel...and not trying to flirt...That would create immense problems you know." He returned with a cheeky grin of his own, and Marty fought to stave off any further comments in that line. "No, I am not flirting with the professor. That is not going to happen what so ever, I am quite occupied with chasing after Lily, thank you much." Ray laughed and toasted Marty, "To the Chase!"

"Here, here!" They downed the rest of their wine, putting it down on the near by table, both heading off to ask for dances. Marty remembered something and caught a hold of Ray's shoulder. "Hoy, are you still on for the race tommorow? You were boasting about that little filly, and how she can whup my Ithillion in a race. Tommorow dawn, don't forget!" Ray's innards sank.

"Uhm, about the race. You see I-"

"Chickening out? I thought so! No body can beat Me and Ithilion."

"Not so! Me and Volricom can pound you into the trail, but,"

"Well, it's not Volricom we are talking about, thought I dont he can do anything either. So, admit, your filly Laslock os something, just isn't up to par!"

"Her name is Laslech! She is more than up to par! But she Isn'tMineAnymoreIGaveHerToViniglaen..." It came out in a whoosh. Ray was turning a little red, and Marty raised his eyebrows and started to laugh!

"Oh ho ho! You tease me for chasing after girls, now do you? If that isn't the kettle calling the pot black, here you are berating me and you go off a courting Viv! That horse, granted, is more than enough to serve as a engament present! Oh man, you've known this girl for what, two days now?"

Ray was by now, beet red. "well, yes, I uh...Mmm..She said she didn't have a horse, and Tharbad is huge, so I gave her one...I..uhm..." He ended rather lamely. Marty dug into him, "Well, hot-stuff, you have other horses you could have given her, and for transportation, they would do more than serve! Why'd you give her Laslech?"

"Er...."

"..."

"I didn't think anything other than Laslech would suit her. I will keep the race appointment, and Volricom shall pound your Ithilion like no other!" With that they both saw Viv coming up to say hello, "Well, go dance with the woman! Aside from admiring from afar, go do something with her!" Marty whispered to Ray's ear.

Viv saw Ray comming up, "I'd like the next dance, Ray, if you feel like it?" To which they both distinctly heard a loud snort from further up. Ray scowled in that direction, "I couldn't imagine NOT wanting to dance with you!"
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 10-21-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:00 PM   #336
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Temporary placeholder for BB

PIE THROWING CONTEST

I put a placeholder for BB. If he wants to use it - OK, if not, I believe Val has the possibility to delete it.

So now we can continue!
Gordis
Old 10-20-2005, 07:00 PM   #337
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Outside the Orrodel Mansion, Udu stood knocking on the main door. One rap, then two, but still no answer. “Are they all asleep here?” he wondered. “Is there no butler, no chamberlain of the house, not even a maid to answer my summons!” He looked around him at the deserted streets, the fog swirling about his feet, and wrapping about the building. He knocked louder, and becoming irritated, he began pounding on the door, but still nothing.

He could always break in the door, but that was hardly a way to announce his presence and would surely not be considered polite. He remembered spells of unlocking but discarded that, for there was no telling when a night watchman might go by. Certainly, a watchman would be alarmed if he saw a door come open on its own without anyone opening it. “That would be too suspicious,” Udu thought.

With a shrug of his shoulders, he walked back into the street and started striding west as though he were going back towards the University’s West Gate. Keeping low to the buildings, he darted into a side street and made his way towards the back of the huge mansion. He was perfectly sober now, having spoken a spell of sobriety when he left the university. He walked cautiously around the back of the building, keeping close, and then at last he found a servant’s door.

It was a simple spell to unlock the door, and soon he was inside. He walked down a passageway and saw a faint light gleaming ahead. He could smell a vague hint of rising scones. He would try that door first. It was unopened and he walked in, surprised to see a figure lying on the floor. “A body in the kitchen?” he wondered. “How careless of Lilaenwen and Buzukkumarz. Why did they not dispose of this corpse properly?”

Then he heard a low moan and bent down to look into the face of a woman. “A cook or kitchen maid,” he thought. He put his hand down and touched her clammy face and he knew instantly what was her ailment. “Shadow,” he thought. “Someone has been playing games in the kitchen, and got a little too rowdy.” He saw a bottle of cooking wine on a shelf on the wall. He took it down and uncorked it, took a drink, and stood there looking at the groaning woman. “She is none of my concern,” he said, and finished the bottle of cooking wine, putting the empty bottle on a table. He stepped over her and walked to the door and went out.

“Now to find Lilaenwen and Buzukkumarz. Where might they be?”

He walked from the servants’ section to the main hall and saw no one and heard nothing. All of his senses were on the alert, and he could smell no human blood in the immediate area, just vague scents that were not fresh. “No living close by,” he thought.

He saw a set of stairs leading to the upper level and began climbing them, holding his dagger in his hand. He found a hall with closed doors and no lights burning. His sensations began to heighten, and he could sense those of his own kind nearby. He saw a faint glimmer of light under one door and after walking to it, he pulled it open and saw two figures, one in a pink gown, on the bed.

They are obviously occupied, so he made for their wine cabinet and pulled out a bottle and uncorked it with his teeth, taking a long drink.

“Lilaenwen and Buzukkumarz, I see you are enjoying the evening. Do you know you have a woman near death on your kitchen floor? And, Buzukkumarz, old chap, I hate to tell you this, but pink is simply not your color."

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 10-20-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:23 PM   #338
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum Ray Invites Viv to the HorseRace; Viv Leaves for Orrodel

The waltz concluded, and as the dancers all seguewayed off into different directions, Viv and Ray stepped aside together, an unspoken connection between them dismissing any need for small-talk.

"Listen," said Ray, "I'm getting together with my best friend Marty tomorrow, for a little horse race, pitting Volcirom against his mount, and I'd love to see you join us. In fact, come to think of it, it'd be something else if you could get Laslech to race againstr one of Val's Mearas, if he'd let us."

"I don't think I've got anything else commited for tomorrow afternoon, Ray; sure I'd love to be there, if I'm able to," she answered. Her mind was shouting to her heart, Yes, YES, I will be there with all the bells of Angmand on, but of course she tamped down her secret enthusiasm. Seeming cool and nonplussed was something Viniglaen had the market cornered on.

"But I've got to get going right now," Viv continued. "My family, it would seem, has need of me this evening. Can't really go into it, but there's something I must take care of, back home."

"Of course! Say no more," Ray said. And he'd say no more, either.

"In fact, I must go now," said Viv, noticing that Udu had ducked out already, and picking up on Aiwendis' anxious vibes and Khamul's irrational rage.

'This is going to be interesting, to say the least,' she was thinking. 'Morgoth knows, whenever Khamul's had his tail tweaked, it guarantees some sort of violent argument. He really needs a woman to pleasantly ditract him, these days. I wonder if I could find him one - no, hardly anyone or anything has ever pleased him. If only he could find pleasantry; his unlife of disatisfaction is a constant tense-fest with ALL of us.'

"May I call upon you tomorrow noon, my Lady?" asked Ray, somewhat awkwardly.

"Come on, Ray, please call me Vivvie," said Viniglaen, a smile in her eyes especially for him. "And yes, by all means, I should love to see you tomorrow."

"With bells on?"

"Both Laslech and I will have our proverbial bells on, yopu can bet your bottom schekel," said Viv, and she meant it.

With that, she took her leave, walking hurriedly alone back to Orrodel in the fog-thick night. She was thankful for the time with Ray, for it had succeeded in cooling down her private rage, and Morgoth knows anything that cools Viv down from her fantastic and dangerous rages is a good thing indeed.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-21-2005, 07:22 AM   #339
Valandil

Valandil's senses were tingling, his heart was pounding and his mind was racing as he continued to dance with Rian. Already they had gone for two full pieces of music, instead of moving on to another partner after one. Rian seemed absorbed - lost in thought, and Valandil did not wish to disturb it. Besides, it was allowing his 'condition' to run its course.

It felt good to hold her like this, and the way she nestled against him made him feel... good.

As the music began to move toward its finish, he looked down toward her, trying to find if she wished to continue with a third dance - knowing how tongues in Tharbad would wag if they did... might already be set to wagging at two.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 10-21-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #340
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Suddenly a fluttering of silent wings could be heard from the window of the room where Falco and the wolves ended up after padding and flying through the corridor.