Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #321
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
And the accomplishment was that this was illegal for Janny.

(just kidding )
So Janny sat in the corner with an OJ while you got mashed, yes? Now that would be an accomplishment, and perhaps an education (for him).
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #322
Janny
The Blobbit

Well... indeed.

And may it be noted you bought said illegal berverage (singular) for said minor?

And for the record, afterwards we frequented the other great Oxford establishment, G&D's ice cream. I think we might have met you there actually Gaffer... there was this guy at the next table giving a student a lecture in the history and the best way forward for communism...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 04:43 PM   #323
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

During this year's GTi Club AGM (Annual General Meeting) tonight, I was appointed the positions of Assistant Events Co-ordinator, as well as Editor for the monthly newsletter. Woohoo?

Damn, this means I actually have to work.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:10 AM   #324
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
I think we might have met you there actually Gaffer... there was this guy at the next table giving a student a lecture in the history and the best way forward for communism...
Ha ha. Wisnae me. However you might see me in a string vest outside the railway station supping a tin of Special Brew and preaching said lecture to the masses.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:21 PM   #325
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
And may it be noted you bought said illegal berverage (singular) for said minor?
Er... right. Let's leave that, then.

Unfortunately, said beverage (singular) was an alcopop, so I don't think Tolkien would have been very pleased with us. I can just imagine him complaining about "these bloody kids coming in here and spoiling the atmosphere..."

Here's a cool thing: I have a lecture on Tolkien tomorrow. Like, an academic lecture. About Middle Earth and the Anglo-Saxons and how he used their ideas, and such like
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #326
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Cool. Be sure to post a summary...
Old 02-08-2005, 09:12 PM   #327
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I'm treasurer and webmaster for the Princeton Battlefield Area Preservation Society - and for the last month I have been working on a major event that will be taking place this Thursday.

David Hackett Fischer, author of Washington's Crossing, is going to talk about the historical significance of the battle, the importance of preserving the battlefield and the threat to it by the Institue for Advanced Study's faculty housing project.

Afterwards some of us are going to be taking him, his wife, Jim McPhearson who is a history professor at Princeton University and fellow author, and his wife - out to eat at the Ferry House.

It's open to the public - but there are also going to be a lot of important people there - like from the NJ Historic Commision and from the NJ Parks Department. I just hope everything goes well on Thursday.

This was our press release...

Quote:
David Hackett Fischer,
Author and Historian,
will be the Featured Speaker at an event
co-sponsored by the
Princeton Battlefield Area Preservation Society and the Princeton Public Library,
on Thursday, February 10, 7 PM

Known for his best selling book, Washington’s Crossing, David Hackett Fischer will speak on the importance of the pivotal Battle of Princeton, (January 3, 1777) which took place after Washington crossed the Delaware and took Trenton, in 1776. Dr. Fischer, who was invited to speak in Princeton by the Princeton Battlefield Area Preservation Society, will also address the need to preserve our American Revolution battlefields, particularly the threatened areas of the Princeton Battlefield.

The event will also include a question and answer period plus a book signing by Dr. Fischer. Participants at the presentation may also speak to the Princeton Battlefield Park’s museum curator, John Mills. Members of the Society will be on hand to answer questions about the various perils the Battlefield faces.

“We are more than happy that Dr. Fischer has agreed to come here and address the issues of the Battlefield,” said Society Board of Director’s member, Robert Rosetta. “I think this event will bring some great exposure to the threat to the battlefield.”

The Princeton Public Library is at 65 Witherspoon St. in Princeton Borough.

For more information regarding this event please call the Princeton Public Library at 609.924.9529.

Princeton Battlefield Park is located on Mercer Road (Princeton Pike) in Princeton Township. The Thomas Clarke House Museum, located on the park grounds, displays 18 th century furnishings and artifacts. Docents are available to provide information about the house, its contents and the Battle of Princeton. The Museum is open Wednesdays through Sundays.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-08-2005 at 09:18 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #328
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

best of luck!

sounds very interesting... never been to that spot, but have been to gettysburg site twice and of course all the spots in boston... it's amazing to be able to jump back in time when you can physically visit places like that
Old 02-08-2005, 09:22 PM   #329
Mercutio

I organized all my ap american history papers/notes/tests/workbookstuff/DBQs/essays/packets/etc. in a 3 inch three-ring binder. I have up through the Civil War filling up that single binder (and it's huge!). It's such a relief. All the stuff is organized by chapter/date so it's quite easy to use now (esp. later to study for the exam in May).

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #330
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
best of luck!
Thanks a lot. I think thursday I'm going to be really nervous. I'm hoping the turnout is really good and that the press show up. Those are the main things I'm concerned with right now. The library screwed up on the first press release and said he was "reading from his book" They didn't send it to me for approval before sending it off to the media.
Quote:
sounds very interesting... never been to that spot, but have been to gettysburg site twice and of course all the spots in boston... it's amazing to be able to jump back in time when you can physically visit places like that
I've been to Gettysburg twice. It is really great to see where history actually took place. Our meetings have been held in the Clarke House - which is kind of cool. It's sort of odd too - we meet in the kitchen which is next to the room where General Hugh Mercer died.

I would like to see the historic sites of Boston. I've been to Philadelphia too many times to count. It is so cool to stand in the room where Washington and Jefferson and Adams and Madison and Franklin and all the others debated the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. it really does give you a much different sense of history than just reading it in a book.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-08-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #331
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Good luck, JD.

I've only been to Princeton once myself (though one of my best friends is from there).

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #332
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
Good luck, JD.
Thanks Elemmire.

Nurv - there was just on C-SPAN3 a speech by the US Ambassador to canada with a question and answer period called - U.S.-Canada Relations. It was hosted by The Canadian Club Sadly I came in on it late and C-SPAN doesn't have the video on their site. I'm hoping they will rebroadcast it.

One thing he mentioned at the end to a question he was asked concerning the differences in canada versus america was that the American President - contrary to people's beliefs - has limited power and is co-equal to Congress.

[edit - the thing to Nurv went into the wrong thread. *copying and pasting*[/edit]

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-09-2005 at 02:20 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:28 AM   #333
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Good luck, JD! My son was just there in November on a Historical Studies tour. I wish I could have gone!

Do you know I always think of you and NJ when I hear about lighthouses now, since you told me NJ had the most lighthouses of any state! (at least I think you said that; am I right?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:18 AM   #334
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Good luck, JD! My son was just there in November on a Historical Studies tour. I wish I could have gone!
Thanks for the sentiment. Did he go to Princeton Battlefield?
Quote:
Do you know I always think of you and NJ when I hear about lighthouses now, since you told me NJ had the most lighthouses of any state! (at least I think you said that; am I right?)
Actually I didn't say that and sadly it's not true. However - we do have the oldest operating lighthouse in North America - Sandy Hook - which was built in 1764. The revolutionary army tried to destroy it because that was the lighthouse which guided the British ships into NY Harbor. That is also the site where the British fled back to Manhattan after their "defeat" at the Battle of Monmouth. So you should still think of NJ when you think of Lighthouses - we just don't have the most of any state.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-09-2005, 12:03 PM   #335
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Okay, let's see how my first event goes...
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #336
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Thanks for the sentiment. Did he go to Princeton Battlefield?
I don't remember; I'll have to ask him. They went to a lot of places!

Quote:
Actually I didn't say that and sadly it's not true. However - we do have the oldest operating lighthouse in North America - ...
Oh, ok - I knew NJ had some distinction about lighthouses - I guess it was oldest operating

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 02-11-2005, 12:58 AM   #337
jerseydevil

I just got back from the battlefield event. It was incredible. The turnout was fantastic with estimates of about 130 - 170 people and standing room only - peopel were sitting on the floor and standing. The room holds 130 people.

Dinner was great. This morning NJN News and a Trenton station were out filming footage. We had some media at the event. I can't believe I pulled it off - with much help from Laura who is our Secretary..

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-11-2005, 01:12 AM   #338
Rían

Yay! *throws NJ-shaped confetti* Congrats!!

Old 02-11-2005, 01:25 AM   #339
Rían

Children's Hunger Fund (CHF), the charity that my husband is a board member of, and my brother-in-law works for, and that we know the founders of, was rated #2 in all of the U.S. by Forbes!

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2000/1211/6615292a.html

Old 02-16-2005, 05:03 PM   #340
Rían

And of lesser importance - just finished stenciling a really pretty pattern on my daughter's wall - morning glory flowers - came out really, really nice!