Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 01:44 AM   #321
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

grrrr - everything I played on the harp tonight sounded stinkin' awful

(I suppose that's what happens after listening to a world-class Irish harpist Saturday night and attending her seminar Sunday...) *sigh*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:47 AM   #322
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Hehe, you are a harpist? I see a patern, Archer, harps....using harps for archery....

Vent: This sickness thing is driving me nuts! If its going to plague me, it could bloody well be a little more consitant about it!!!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:04 AM   #323
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Me too. It's disorienting me and making my brain like porridge. I keep getting false hope that I'm better already, but NOOOOOOoooo.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 11-16-2005, 02:06 AM   #324
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

yeah, kinda like a hope zapper. meh...starting to feel like crap again....sooo tired, and i shouldnt be...
Old 11-16-2005, 04:56 AM   #325
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Yeah. I just got over two weeks of being sick, and now three days after being fine I think I'm coming down with ANOTHER sore throat.

Sick people of the moot unite!
Old 11-16-2005, 11:15 AM   #326
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
Hehe, you are a harpist? I see a patern, Archer, harps....using harps for archery....
Yes, my mom's played for almost 15 years now, and I took it up a few years ago. I love it! But last night ... bleah! And I first fell in love with archery about 30 years ago and still love it.

I hope all you sickies get better soon!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-16-2005, 12:37 PM   #327
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*snerk* Hehehe...its no wonder the elves were such good musicians, they were arechers as well!

If some one starts being rowdy during a performance, just knock and arrow on the middle string and let fly!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #328
Rían

Yup!

Hey, funny you mentioned that - there's actually a harp song in my catalog that you can order, and it comes with a little arrow, and that's how the song ends - you put it on a string and shoot it! I kid you not!!!!

Old 11-16-2005, 12:56 PM   #329
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Really? Could you send me it? Ha ha ha! So, the harpist sticks an arrow on his harp and shoots someone? My kinda song! I could so imagine you doing that. Wow, fun!

...Must be Irish.

VENT: ARG! My memories are doing an all out seige on my brain...I thought i had them stored away nice and tight...
Old 11-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #330
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Yup!

Hey, funny you mentioned that - there's actually a harp song in my catalog that you can order, and it comes with a little arrow, and that's how the song ends - you put it on a string and shoot it! I kid you not!!!!
Are you serious? That's hysterical .

So I'm not sure if this is a vent or not, but I indeed have another sore throat now. So I'm not going to school today. I mean to heck with that--I'm dedicating my day to drinking water and orange juice, and sleeping this off.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:02 PM   #331
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Good luck with that Tessar! I wish it were so easy for me, you boooger.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:15 PM   #332
Rían

I found it - here's the link:

http://harpcenter.com/Merchant2/merc...Category_Code=

The title of the piece is Harpers are Not Bizarre ...

(try hot tea and honey, too, Tessar)

Last edited by Rían : 11-16-2005 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:59 PM   #333
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Sure they're not...and i'm Queen Elizabeth.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:45 PM   #334
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

People are jerks. A random lady just knocked on the door of my room for no reason except to be unforgiveably rude to my hallmate, who was in here talking with me. And she didn't stay long enough for either of us to get over our shock and respond.

I feel kind of violated now.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 11-16-2005, 05:00 PM   #335
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

....well, you know what I would have done...but whatever. If anyone tries that over in seattle, I'll kindly rip them in two!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:08 PM   #336
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I'm glad that I haven't had any experiences of that sort. Does the person live in your apartment complex, do you know?

I come with a vent, today.

Vent: I don't like debating against groups. They don't defeat your arguments with more clever arguments, but they overrun you through weight of numbers. When it's one against four or five (as I experienced today), with their own preconceptions and biases, I was unable to make a complete argument. I knew what I wanted to say, but each of them wanted his or her own turn to talk also, so the rebuff of my position was about six times as long as the chance I had to present my position . I was debating that Christianity isn't a myth . That was good. However, I was unable to argue my position because of the numbers I was dealing with. I've brought up some of these arguments many times on Entmoot, but I wasn't allowed to get them out of my mouth by the group I was debating with. So annoying.

On Entmoot, I can write my post at a fair amount of length. Here, it doesn't matter if I'm against one person or twenty. I have time to say what I want to say, to those people who have the most interesting arguments. In a group, or even one on one, I often do not. Tis maddening.

Another vent is that my way of debating in real life isn't so gentle as it is on the computer. On the computer, though I sometimes come across badly, normally at least I'm able to be moderate and reasonable as I talk. When I debate in person, my voice rises some and many women take offense. No men have, even though I've debated with more men than I have women. Men seem to understand properly how to take me. But many of the women I've debated with come out thinking that I'm a horrible individual person. I don't behave any differently to them than I do to men. I think it is related to a difference of genders between men and women. Women often take debates personally. Men do not. That has been my experience, and I've debated with many people. I think I probably am somewhat at fault for the way I debate in real life, however.

So in debates in real life, I'm worse, and others are worse. I can't get through people's closed ears, either . Of course, neither could I on the Internet . At least on Entmoot I can get my whole argument out of my mouth, though. Person to person, debating is definitely a far more frustrating experience.

(Exhales) I just came out of one of these debates; that's why it's all on my mind right now. I have no problem at all with doing the debate. I love debates. I need to know how to break through closed ears and closed airwaves, though . And I also have to figure out how to debate in such a way that women don't see me as an aggressive, hateful individual.

(Exhales again. Exhales again) Okay. Breathe. Function. I've got an exam for Biology in about an hour, so I'd better get back to my studying. And I'd better get over this thing really, really quickly, for now is not the time to dwell on it.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 11-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #337
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
I'm glad that I haven't had any experiences of that sort. Does the person live in your apartment complex, do you know?
No, she was an older relative of the other girl's roommate, who just dropped out.

I wish my roommate had been with us, she reacts faster to that sort of thing.

Quote:
....well, you know what I would have done...but whatever. If anyone tries that over in seattle, I'll kindly rip them in two!
Thanks Sane.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 11-16-2005, 05:30 PM   #338
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
People are jerks. A random lady just knocked on the door of my room for no reason except to be unforgiveably rude to my hallmate, who was in here talking with me. And she didn't stay long enough for either of us to get over our shock and respond.

I feel kind of violated now.
Well, at least you didn't have three slightly tipsy guys throw the door of your room open after 1.00h in the middle of the night when you're still working on your computer and ask if they can hide in your room, only to give their description to the police half an hour later because the drunk fellas emptied the whole fire extinguisher in your corridor. My door was LOCKED from midnight on after that, no matter if I was still awake or not.

Although the whole deal was rather amusing afterwards...

VENT: 1200 books entered in the system so far. And I haven't even started entering the actual library! Whyyyyy did we have to buy so many books over the years? *moans* Whyyyyy did I have to be so stupid to think that making a data base of all our books was a "jolly good idea"?

EDIT: And I friggin' hate it when my computer freezes the moment I hit the 'submit' button.

Last edited by Earniel : 11-16-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #339
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Lief, you sound a lot like me. What I usually end up doing in that situation is getting so frustrated that I just resort to something like a sigh full of gibberish, and then take about two minutes to ask with stressed calmness that everyone simply listen to the whole of what I have to say before hastening to respond to a single part and assuming that my logic is incomplete. Then if they continue interrupting I tell them "you're pulling at straws here, you're missing my point" and after a while they know that they're not allowing themselves to comprehend my argument. I guarantee it'll earn you their listening ears, if not their complete submission, respect, and agreement, if only you have the friggin time to talk to them this way.

VENT: I just missed an early decision deadline for my #1 college, because I just found out about the place two days before that deadline. If I had gotten my application, reccomendations, transcript, SATs, and essays to them, I would have been accepted in two weeks. Now I have to wait about three months for a letter saying "we've moved your application from the superly competitive 'early action' pool to the 'regular decision' pool. More in a month."
*siiiiiiiigh*

Last edited by Bombadillo : 11-16-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:21 PM   #340
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

VENT: damn school! i have three major projects due VERY soon, my teacher is being a COW!!! god damn teachers why dont they leave me alone to moot and do the projects on my own time? but, then again, they probally have a point! and stupid vice-priciple! they put me into another math class and told me to start at the beginning and if i dont finish it they will make me repeat!!! im pissed off in general..all these little things are irritating me!! damn school! and damn guys ( no offence to the guys on moot you guys are nice. i mean the ones at my school) whew im good .....for now

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Closed Thread