Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #321
Lord Choc Obo
Elven Warrior

CONSPIRACY TIME

woow, now that's a super theory, that would be great, getting snape back to the good side, letting snape kill petigrew whom he despised, Dumbeldore still alive,...
but on the other hand, Pettigrew couldn't have done all those things in the cave with the Horcrux and he would've never talked like that to Malfoy...the final talk with of DD to Malfoy was a true Dumbeldore talk, even if you say he looks different in the book with bragging and such, he's still very much dumbeldore in the end.

a few flaws, but worth the thought, something to keep in mind when re-reading the book.
Lord Choc Obo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #322
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

It sounds like a good theory to me, but I don't know about Wormtail. Wouldn't You-Know-Who notice that he was gone a lot? Plus I don't think he could pull it off. He's not smart enough.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:22 AM   #323
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Choc Obo
Pettigrew couldn't have done all those things in the cave with the Horcrux and he would've never talked like that to Malfoy...the final talk with of DD to Malfoy was a true Dumbeldore talk
I agree, but I think that the way in which Wormtail was made to look and sound like DD is more complex than just Polyjuice Potion, for example. I think it's a different kind of magic to be explained in the next book. Maybe that magic allowed the real DD to talk through Wormtail in crucial moments.
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:37 AM   #324
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I'm sorry, but I still believe that Dumbledore is dead. That's not to say that there's not something fishy about his death, but I still think he's dead.

Here's an excerpt from an interview of JK Rowling (JKR):

Quote:
JKR: Well, there you go. See, I'm aware that “Half-Blood Prince” will not delight everyone, because it does shoot down some theories. I mean, if it didn't, I haven't done my job right. A few people won't particularly like it, and a lot of people aren't going to like the death very much, but that was always what was planned to come.

We still don't know whether there was a genuine leak on that, or whether it was speculation that happened to be accurate.

ES: With this book?

MA: Remember the bets?

ES: Oh yeah -

JKR: Yeah, the betting scam. Well, we're now 50/50. If you remember, on “Phoenix,” the betting went for Cho Chang, and it was exactly the same thing. Suddenly someone put up something like £10,000 on Cho Chang to die, and you wouldn't think someone would waste that kind of money, so we think that they thought they had inside information. On the Dumbledore one, we still don't know. Was there a genuine leak or did someone just guess, and get it right?

ES: I remember actually putting a poll up on MuggleNet asking people if they thought he was going to bite it.

JKR: And what was the result? That's really interesting.

ES: The majority thought he was going to die in book six — well, six or seven. Most thought it was going to be in seven.

JKR: Really. Yeah.

ES: It was probably 65/35, but definitely, most thought he was going to die.

JKR: Yeah, well, I think if you take a step back, in the genre of writing that I'm working in, almost always the hero must go on alone. That's the way it is, we all know that, so the question is when and how, isn't it, if you know anything about the construction of that kind of plot.

ES: The wise old wizard with the beard always dies.

JKR: Well, that's basically what I'm saying, yes.

[Laughter]

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #325
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Nice theory Beren, but I agree with Khamûl. I just can't see Dumbledore returning. IMO Harry has o this by himself (maybe with a little help from Ron, Hermione and Neville) but DD returning wouldn't be right.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:10 PM   #326
emily leonard
Enting

harry

i agree in the end its going to have to be up 2 harry nobody can help him
Old 09-09-2005, 11:21 PM   #327
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily leonard
i agree in the end its going to have to be up 2 harry nobody can help him
I really, really, really like Beren3000's theory and I wish it were true, but based on the Rowling interview, it probably isn't.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:07 AM   #328
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee2lee2
I really, really, really like Beren3000's theory and I wish it were true, but based on the Rowling interview, it probably isn't.
But I can't see why, if JKR is trying to write after a model, that model cannot finally result to be LOTR: the wise old wizard with the beard dies... but then he returns... and that's not a problem for the young hero to be the one that in the end have to fight alone
Old 09-10-2005, 06:15 AM   #329
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Middle
But I can't see why, if JKR is trying to write after a model, that model cannot finally result to be LOTR: the wise old wizard with the beard dies... but then he returns... and that's not a problem for the young hero to be the one that in the end have to fight alone
Agreed! Plus, what JKR said in the interview about people not liking the death could simply mean that people would think that DD's dead and therefore wouldn't like it. And, as you said FM, DD's return doesn't mean that he will help Harry fight Voldemort. Maybe DD will return at the very end of book 7
Old 09-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #330
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle

Hmmm....I see what you mean. Now I just have to hope she's following the LOTR model!
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:56 PM   #331
Lord Choc Obo
Elven Warrior

I was rethinking the theories of DD still being alive, but I'm just...really not sure, ya know, with the way it happens, the fact that NO ONE from the order seems to have known about the possible "swap" when they could just have known as long as there was a safekeeper, Hagrid seems devasted and if anyone would've known, it would've been Hagrid in my mind, also the funeral and the white casket and all; and the photograph of DD in the Headmaster's office...

I don't think he's coming back, except if he could talk out of his photograph or something.

aaaaah well, but still, I like conspiracies
Lord Choc Obo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:26 PM   #332
Rconsole
Elven Warrior

It's gonna be interesting to see what he has to say, if anything at all through his portrait in the Headmaster/Headmistress' office...Do you think JKR will include that in Book 7?
Rconsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:38 AM   #333
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I hope so, I love the portraits. And they've been plot devices before (Phineus Nigellus).

Sorry guys, but Dumbledore is D-E-D dead. If he weren't, it wouldn't be Harry who fights Voldemort in the end would it? If Rowling is following any model, it would be having a plot that makes sense. She wouldn't have Dumbledore come back to life and steal Harry's thunder. (As awesome as Dumbledore was. )
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #334
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well I decided not to wait until October to re-read HBP. I'm paying more attention to the 'little things' and getting a deeper picture of the whole book this time around. I feel the portraits can contribute a great deal and perhaps D's will do so in the next book. Most enjoyable the second time around.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:43 PM   #335
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Well I decided not to wait until October to re-read HBP. I'm paying more attention to the 'little things' and getting a deeper picture of the whole book this time around. I feel the portraits can contribute a great deal and perhaps D's will do so in the next book. Most enjoyable the second time around.
Is there a reason why Dumbledores' portrait didn't speak at the end of the book? I mean, it was a bit odd it being there and saying nothing when everybody would expect him to do it...
Old 09-19-2005, 06:10 PM   #336
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Maybe he wasn't ready yet, or maybe portraits don't activate until after their funeral, or maybe he was just sleepy.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:46 PM   #337
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yeah, I go along with E on that one. The 'portrait' just got there and so needed to rest and settle in a bit. Then too he didn't have a script for the next book
Old 09-19-2005, 08:06 PM   #338
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

indeed, i think he was following the other portraits usual occupation, good ol' sleep!
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:15 PM   #339
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

And he had just been through that huge ordeal. I don't blame him if he wanted a break!

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:33 AM   #340
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

*Grins smugly*
You poor misled people!