Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-22-2003, 03:28 PM   #301
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
LOL, I just found one of the funniest cartoons (if you know anything about Charlie Brown that is)

Click Here!!
Very funny. Although I think having Charlie Brown represent the UN would have been more realistic. The UN was willing to attempt to kick the football repeatedly and fall flat on their a$$ (similar to Charlie Brown). Whereas George Bush who point blank stated he was not going to play that game.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-22-2003 at 03:29 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 09:04 PM   #302
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
No, George Clooney is a jerk because he mocks Charlton Heston's Alzheimer's. That was why the Julia Roberts quote upset me. It doesn't matter to me that she's a Democrat: what matters is that she resorts to such petty name-calling and blatant intolerance of those who have differing views. Surely you don't think that there is nothing wrong with mocking someone for having Alzheimer's? Is that just a difference of opinion?
Well, BoP? Surely you don't think there's nothing wrong with that?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 09:13 PM   #303
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I hate the way politics makes people "hate each other"! This "us versus them" crap has got to stop. Some people (both sides) just cannot stand having things go a different way than the one they're "in" at the time. I am more than happy to admit I have been wrong before, and will be wrong again. Things are not so black and white in this world, that it can't handle a little "sway". Political hatred makes normally sensible people insane! That's why I really hate these talk show host types (and big mouthed celebrities) who deliberately try to fan the flames of hatred among political parties. UGH!

Last edited by Lizra : 03-22-2003 at 09:15 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 01:11 AM   #304
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I hate the way politics makes people "hate each other"! This "us versus them" crap has got to stop. Some people (both sides) just cannot stand having things go a different way than the one they're "in" at the time. I am more than happy to admit I have been wrong before, and will be wrong again. Things are not so black and white in this world, that it can't handle a little "sway". Political hatred makes normally sensible people insane! That's why I really hate these talk show host types (and big mouthed celebrities) who deliberately try to fan the flames of hatred among political parties. UGH!
I, for one, don't hate anyone for their opinions. But I understand what you mean.

I changed my mind concerning war with Iraq. Initially, in the very beginning 2001, I was against it - then in 2002 I was undecided. But then we went to the UN - and were basically stonewalled - while Hussein continued to play the same old games.

No comment on the hollywood people. Although Khamul sent me this. Travis Tritt speaks out about Hollywood and the Dixie Chicks in particular...
Quote:
Travis Tritt Slams Dixie Chick, Antiwar Celebs

Tritt urged that now is the time for "regular ordinary people" to get entertainers' attention by hitting them in the pocketbook.

"Celebrities have a public forum to voice their opinions, which makes folks think that they are representing the majority, when in fact they represent the minority," Tritt said in a statement. "Fans ask me all the time what they can do to be heard and I tell them the best way to have an impact is to hit'em in their pocketbook. Don't spend your money on what they're selling, be it movies, magazines or music.

Tritt acknowledged in the statement that "no one wants to go to war," but "it's the only solution to some of the complex situations like we're faced with in today's world."

The singer said after spending time with troops and their families in Ft. Bragg, N.C., that its imperative that Americans respect and support our troops overseas, whether they agree with President Bush or not.

"(I) observed both their dedication and their vulnerability. Hearing negative comments from fellow Americans -- especially those in the public eye -- is destructive and damaging to the morale of our servicemen and women and to our country in general," said Tritt. "Our military men and women are putting their lives on the line for each and every one of us and deserve nothing but our unfailing respect and support."

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-23-2003, 11:55 AM   #305
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
So far we have found one weapon that is illegal and that Iraq "didn't have". Under the UN, they have outlawed Iraqi Scud missiles. Today Iraq fired at least one known Scud missile into Kuwait.

I think this is just the beginning of us finding things Iraq wasn't supposed to have and "didn't have"...
Nope, not Scuds

Quote:
Gen. Stanley McChrystal, vice director for operations on the U.S. military's Joint Staff, also told a briefing that none of the missiles fired by Iraq so far in the war had been a Scud.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../iraq_scuds_dc

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 01:12 AM   #306
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Didn't Bush say early in the process that the USA would go to war alone if they didn't get any support?
No, he only said that about 2 weeks before the war started, when he said "No one can tell us how to protect ourselves" or something like that...

Also, if he did say that early on then what would the point be in even going to the UN?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 01:15 AM   #307
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
Nope, not Scuds

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../iraq_scuds_dc
Well that is clearly mistaken, because they have already identified and captured a scud & it's launcher in addition to a handful of scud's that have been launched...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 03-24-2003, 02:30 AM   #308
Baby-K
Corruptor

Have you noticed anything fishy about the inspection teams in Iraq? They're all men! How in the name of the United Nations, does anyone expect men to find Saddam's stash? We all know that men have a blind spot when it comes to finding things. For crying out loud! Men can't find the dirty clothes basket. Men can't find the jar of jam, until it falls out of the cupboard and splatters on the floor.... And these are the people we have sent into Iraq to search for hidden weapons of mass destruction? I keep wondering why groups of mothers weren't sent in. Mothers can
sniff out secrets quicker than a drug-dog can find a gram of dope.
Mothers can find gin bottles that dads have stashed in the loft beneath the rafters. They can sniff out a diary two rooms and one floor away. They can tell when the lid of the biscuit jar has been disturbed, and notice when a centimetre slice has been shaved off a chocolate cake. A mother can smell alcohol on your breath before you get your key in the front door, and can smell cigarette smoke from a block away. By examining laundry, a mother knows more about her kids than Sherlock Holmes. And if a mother wants an answer to a question, she can read an offender's eyes, quicker than a homicide detective.
So... considering the value a mother could bring to an inspection
team, why are we sending a bunch of old men, who will rely on electronic gadgets to scout out hidden threats? My mother would walk in with a wooden soup spoon in one hand, grab Saddam
by the ear, give it a good twist and snap, "Young man, do you have any weapons of mass destruction?" And help him if he tried to lie to her! She'd march him down the street to some secret bunker, and shove his nose onto a nuclear bomb and say, "Uh, huh, and what do you call this, mister?" Whap! Thump! Whap! Whap! Whap! And she'd lay some stripes across
his bare bottom with that soup spoon, then march him home in front of the whole of Baghdad. He'd not only come clean and apologize for lying about it, he'd cut every lawn in Baghdad free, for the whole Summer. You want the job done?
Call my mother.

Sorry - couldn't resist
Old 03-24-2003, 02:36 AM   #309
jerseydevil

Baby-K - That was INCREDIBLY funny.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-24-2003, 02:40 AM   #310
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

OMGoodness, Baby-K, you're funny today!! LOVE IT!!

My two youngest still can't figure out how I know so much....

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 02:46 AM   #311
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

LOL! Hilarious, K.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 02:49 AM   #312
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Well that is clearly mistaken, because they have already identified and captured a scud & it's launcher in addition to a handful of scud's that have been launched...
Please post a source to support this as to date, I've only seen sources denying the usage of scuds.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:50 AM   #313
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I found it very funny too .
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 02:53 AM   #314
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Our soldiers need special prayer now, and our military leaders (for those who believe in prayer's effectiveness). I'm not trying to transform this into a religious thread in any way, people, but our troops are closing in on Baghdad and are about to encounter two divisions of the Republican Guard. These people are using human shields and are dressed in civilian clothes, and it seems impossible to me that the situation will be resolved without large casualties.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:00 AM   #315
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Our soldiers need special prayer now, and our military leaders (for those who believe in prayer's effectiveness). I'm not trying to transform this into a religious thread in any way, people, but our troops are closing in on Baghdad and are about to encounter two divisions of the Republican Guard. These people are using human shields and are dressed in civilian clothes, and it seems impossible to me that the situation will be resolved without large casualties.
Did you hear how the Republican Guard dressed in civilian clothes and acted like they were welcoming our troops and ambushed them? Or what about the other one where the Republican Guard dressed as normal Iraqi soldiers - acted like they were surrendering (even carrying a white flag) and then opened fire on our troops?

It may be hard - but we will bring down this tyrant. Hussein is also using civilians as human shields to now.

Lief - you might want to add the POWs in there. Do you think Hussein is really going to abide the Geneva Convention?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-24-2003 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:18 AM   #316
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I've been aware of and praying about all those things. I just now wasn't giving an update on what's happened in the war today, but on what's coming next. Otherwise I'd probably have also mentioned that American soldier throwing those grenades into our commanders' tents and then shooting in with his gun.

Saddam Hussein already has broken the Geneva Convention by his actions to the U.S. prisoners he captured. It appears that he's executed at least four of them and displayed their bodies on public television. He also showed the interrogations of the others, and it sounded to me as though they'd already been abused.

The only way Saddam or whoever is in charge now will begin to abide by the Geneva Convention is if he sees that it is strongly against his interests to continue in that way. Such as, if it brought about an anger against him in the Arab world (Which it won't; I'm just using that as an example).

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 03-24-2003 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:21 AM   #317
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Do you think Hussein is really going to abide the Geneva Convention?
Geneva Convention relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War -- for those who are curious.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 03:31 AM   #318
jerseydevil

That's the part we feel they broke. I'm sure it's not the only part they've broken though. They broke the convention in 1991 - but nothing is done. What purpose does this convention serve - if the countries who have no regard with it get to do whatever they want? It's not like Hussein has been brought before a criminal court or his regime has been "outlawed" by the world community.
Quote:
Article 13

Prisoners of war must at all times be humanely treated. Any unlawful act or omission by the Detaining Power causing death or seriously endangering the health of a prisoner of war in its custody is prohibited, and will be regarded as a serious breach of the present Convention. In particular, no prisoner of war may be subjected to physical mutilation or to medical or scientific experiments of any kind which are not justified by the medical, dental or hospital treatment of the prisoner concerned and carried out in his interest.

Likewise, prisoners of war must at all times be protected, particularly against acts of violence or intimidation and against insults and public curiosity.

Measures of reprisal against prisoners of war are prohibited.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-24-2003, 03:41 AM   #319
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I won't mention the UN- might be better to go into that in a new topic.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:58 AM   #320
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Please post a source to support this as to date, I've only seen sources denying the usage of scuds.
I've seen it on 4 different news channels, I also saw pictures of them pulling away one of the scuds on the back of a big platform truck and the scud launcher...

--Linaewen