Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 11:39 PM   #301
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I have most of those quotes saved in my own files

BOP you are a guy's dream, attractive, articulate, and the lady knows DUNE and LOTR

If you ever need a US green card...

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 04-09-2002 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:49 PM   #302
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
I have most of those quotes saved in my own files

BOP you are a guy's dream, attractive, articulate, and the lady knows DUNE and LOTR

If you ever need a US green card...
Flattery will get you.... everywhere! Thanks, you just made my day! (Well, almost, if I didn't have to hand in this heinous research design.... ugh.)
Old 04-10-2002, 01:04 AM   #303
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

That's all well and good, for science. But myth is beautiful and I choose to think metaphorically, thanks.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:16 AM   #304
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
That's all well and good, for science. But myth is beautiful and I choose to think metaphorically, thanks.
Ai! Just because you're a scientifically minded person, does not mean, you are limited to scientific thought. I too, indulge in the metaphoric, and mythological. It is fundementalis theism that I don't buy. The sheer fact that I read LOTR, Dune, and the Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy suggests that not all my thinking is restricted to that of science. You can do both you know!
Old 04-10-2002, 01:39 AM   #305
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

OK, so we are mostly in agreement. Cool. But I am saying I won't throw out the scriptures just because some readers can't interpret what they read. And since these people will always exists, wouldn't it be wiser to make sure their interpretations don't lead them to blood purges of intolerance? And I don't think that can happen by giving them pure science as the only alternative. Because, you know, science is a metaphor, too. For instance, the unified field theory - very elegant. Why can't there be a unity between the jargon of one and the jargon of the other? The real problem isn't the words, it's the leaders who will twist things in whatever way is necessary for them to stay in power.

Hey, who mentioned "Satan" in this thread? Isn't that the name used in the Koran, not the Bible? And isn't it funny that "Saturn" was worshipped by people about 500 miles away from there? hmmmm.... sounds like politics to me...
Old 04-10-2002, 01:56 AM   #306
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

True. Be careful of charismatic leaders.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Old 04-10-2002, 11:05 AM   #307
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Indeed, and interesting thoughts on the quotes, Aragorn.

The term "Satan" in the Quran is actually a translation of the name "Iblis".
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!

Last edited by Earenya : 04-10-2002 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:19 PM   #308
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Now I see, "Satan" is the name given to the adversary in Job. In Genesis there is just a crafty snake.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:09 AM   #309
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Didn't God curse the snake to forever after crawl on its belly, and eat sand? What was the snake crawling on before? Feet? Snakes don't have feet, do they?

Salamander?
Old 04-11-2002, 04:09 AM   #310
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

No kidding, Satan is Iblis? Why thank you Earenya! You've just helped me understand a short story I once read.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:31 AM   #311
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Yes, at least thats what I remember from a college class I took. We have applied the term "Satan" to be the equivilent of "Iblis", which is interesting in the fact that the Quran, unlike the Bible, is forbidden to be studied (for/as religious purposes) in any language but Arabic, because it changes the meaning of words.

What short story are you refering to? It brings to my mind the Islamic story of Iblis' fall from heaven- he was commanded by God to bow down to God's creation, man, and Iblis replied, "Why should we (angels) bow to anything but You, God?" and also, "I will not bow to this thing made of clay when I am made of fire!" (Greatly paraphrased)

And yes, the implications in Genesis are that snakes were not legless to begin with. Many animated/illustrated versions of the Eden story depict the snake as a form of lizard prior to the fall of Adam.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 04-11-2002, 12:39 PM   #312
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Earenya
What short story are you refering to? It brings to my mind the Islamic story of Iblis' fall from heaven- he was commanded by God to bow down to God's creation, man, and Iblis replied, "Why should we (angels) bow to anything but You, God?" and also, "I will not bow to this thing made of clay when I am made of fire!" (Greatly paraphrased)
Oh it was just a short story, forgot the title and who wrote it. But it was about a cople of students. On of them was a bit of a bitch and her name was Iblis.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:23 PM   #313
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Many animated/illustrated versions of the Eden story depict the snake as a form of lizard prior to the fall of Adam.
So, it wasn't a snake then? It was a lizard, that eventually became a snake?
Old 04-11-2002, 03:10 PM   #314
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Wow! That's means that Genesis has hidden proofs of evolution, then, doesn't it?
Old 04-11-2002, 05:48 PM   #315
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
Wow! That's means that Genesis has hidden proofs of evolution, then, doesn't it?
Gah! You bet me to it!
Old 04-11-2002, 06:48 PM   #316
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

God changed the serpent, it certainly wasn't evolution!
Old 04-11-2002, 06:55 PM   #317
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by emplynx
God changed the serpent, it certainly wasn't evolution!
Yes, But God caused the evolution to occur... Nyuck nyuck nyuck.... I am rubber, you are glue....

*er... where is my medication....*
Old 04-11-2002, 07:24 PM   #318
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

My dear people, is it really so ridiculous to assume that snakes at Creation had legs? And since it is not, can we please stop putting into the Bible what is not there? God cursed the serpent to forever crawl on its belly. He did NOT initiate a form of evolution.

Out of curiosity, can someone show me the "evolutionary tree" that shows snakes coming from lizards and how that relates to their supposed evolution into birds, mammals, and the like?

Also, can one who believes that serpents spoke also not believe in a serpent with legs?

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Old 04-11-2002, 07:27 PM   #319
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Do a general search using google for taxonomy or taxonomical trees.

Otherwise try here:

Web Lift to Taxa (Berkeley)

Regarding snakes who can talk: it's impossible! Their thyroid is in the completely wrong position for talking, and don't get me started on the hyoid bone! What? God is breaking the natural laws of morphology? Ya don't say....

Last edited by BeardofPants : 04-11-2002 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:15 AM   #320
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
...it really so ridiculous to assume that snakes at Creation had legs?
Yes. They wouldn't be snakes if they had legs.

Most Christians, if I can make a generalization, accept microevolution. Macro-evolution, if I am not mistaken, is micro-evolution + time.

The nature of a creature, going from having legs, to not having legs, is a big change - it would not have happened via micro-evolution, and since macro-evolution, which is necessary in this case, needed time, the whole idea is ludicrous.

Oh wait, I forgot, God is all-powerful - he can do anything...(including evil acts...)

Just a question: Was the snake bipedal before it lost its legs? The Bible says nothing about the amount of legs it had.

Actually, I have thus far assumed it had legs - perhaps it never did! Perhaps it was a flying creature?
Closed Thread