Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #301
Mari
Elf Lady

Did you seize the opportunity to make snow angels?

On the other topic: A+ is pretty much impossible here, even in elementary school, though for various reasons. In elementary school it is argued that it would hurt the growth of other less bright kids of kids got a 10 (our grades go from 1 to 10, a 5.5 being a pass) so they created a ceiling at an 8. In secondary schools 10s are possible, but rare when it comes to Arts since there is always someway to have done it better and in university a 10 is cause for debate.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #302
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Good for you, Tessar! It must be amazing to see snow for the first time!
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #303
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I once accompanied a person who there and then saw snow for the first time. She carefully let the snowflakes land on the back of her hand and examined them closely. That was pretty cute
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #304
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*loves the mass effect series and the soundtracks, especially after playing them with my bro in the epic entertainment room I built him*

Fun times with my eldest brother playing video games. We've NEVER done anything remotely Brother-Sister before. How strange. But it was fun, for a man I hardly knew and had only rarely seen, we're scarily alike. I'm glad he's around now.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #305
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Funkeh. I have a half brother and a half sister that I've very rarely seen, and a half brother I've never seen. All way older than me. I wonder if they're scarily like me . . .

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #306
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Same here. I'm the youngest of my siblings by a long shot, even in regards to the youngest of my brothers. But my eldest brother is old enough to be my dad, really.

He is a half brother, as you say. Though that word feels strange in my mouth; we don't have the concept of "half" siblings. Even if you only share one parent, you call them "Brother" or "Sister" without the half denotation. Weird. Anyways.

I don't know if you have similarities with your siblings, but I certainly do with him, and I feel comfortable around him in ways that I do not with my closer full siblings. I can actually say I have a sibling that I am close to, even though I've only come to know him for the past year. It's just such a strange feeling, really. 22 years of pretty much being on my own and having a fractious-at-best-lethal-at-worst relation with my remaining brothers, within one year I've become comfortable and trusting with the eldest as if he's been here the whole time.

I'm happy in a confused way. Not sure how to put it.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #307
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

You know, I have a friend that I only recently discovered and in a way it REALLY is like I've known him forever. In part because he and I are so alike (in regards to music we're extremely detail oriented and analytical, we're both the youngest of our families, we share the same views on just about everything... it's a little scary some times) but we also just connected almost the minute we met. It was surprising how after just two weeks of hanging out I would have considered him a closer friend than many people I've known and talked to for years.

I think sometimes you just meet someone you relate to.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #308
Mari
Elf Lady

My best friend and I started off with a sort of hate-hate relationship. But we are so much alike in looks, situation, interests... we think alike and when we don't we still know how the other thinks.
We are still very different though. Sounds a bit contradictory, I know, but that's the way it is. It's great

Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #309
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Everything in my life is going perfectly right now!

Actually, everything's been going perfectly since 2009.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 02-04-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #310
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

As I'm moving out of town shortly, my friends arranged a fantastic surprise party for me today!

I thought I was showing up for a simple homely dinner with my god-daughter and her parents. But in her room, all my closest friends quietly hid and when I entered the room...
... they all jumped forth and yelled surprise and covered me in balloons and streamers

I certainly have the best of friends
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #311
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

I just got back from a wonderful weekend with my Dad and my beloved church family. God was amazing today, and all weekend... and all the time.... Thank you, Lord!
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:38 AM   #312
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson View Post
Everything in my life is going perfectly right now!

Actually, everything's been going perfectly since 2009.
Nice to here from you Lief- last time you checked in you were talking about joining a religious community- how did that end up? (or has it?)

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #313
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Just got back from a fun time - we got private suite tickets for the Phoenix Suns' game (basketball) for free from my husband's work.
Very nice!

Suns are my favorite team, though I'm not a great basketball fan.

1) got a close friend from Phoenix, so have to support them

2) Steve Nash- not only Canadian, but short!

3) Los Sols

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 AM   #314
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I once accompanied a person who there and then saw snow for the first time. She carefully let the snowflakes land on the back of her hand and examined them closely. That was pretty cute
On the rare occasions we get snow on the mountains in Taiwan there are massive traffic jams of people driving up to get a look.

Speaking of first experiences, reminds me of a couple I knew who moved from Saskatchewan to Vancouver. They decided that it would be romantic to spend their first night camped on the beach. As the man later said, "What did we know about tides?"

Last edited by GrayMouser : 02-07-2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #315
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Nice to here from you Lief- last time you checked in you were talking about joining a religious community- how did that end up? (or has it?)
On the 9th of this month, I'll be visiting three religious orders. I'll first be visiting the Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity in Texas. I'll be with them about five days. From there, I'll fly to the Franciscan Friars of the Eternal Word in Birmingham, Alabama. I'll be with them about nine days. And then I'll fly to a come-and-see event in St. Louis and will be at it till the end of the event. That will be a three day period of discernment with the Dominicans. Then I'll fly home.

I hope to know where my Lady is calling me, by the end of this trip. Or to discern where I'm called in the immediately following weeks of prayer and discernment.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #316
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Very nice!

Suns are my favorite team, though I'm not a great basketball fan.

1) got a close friend from Phoenix, so have to support them

2) Steve Nash- not only Canadian, but short!

3) Los Sols
I'm not a big basketball fan either, but it was a fun experience Yes, Nash is pretty good, esp. for (IIRC) starting late at basketball (I think he was a soccer player?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #317
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

I'm overjoyed to be back to school and I think I'm the only student who feels this way! We're supposed to be hit by another crazy blizzard Wednesday. I'm really hoping we don't! I was driving through an older part of town and passed by a Presbyterian church. On the sign where they usually post their sermon topics it read, "Whoever is praying for snow, STOP!" I laughed.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 AM   #318
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I'M ENGAGED!!! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #319
Mari
Elf Lady

Wow Tolkienfan, congrats!

Elleth, you are not the only one who likes school (though how much I want to go back really depends on how far into the school year we are and how long the holidays were... )
That is funny.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #320
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Right now, sitting on MSN, just had to talk with my ISP about phone-related problems (phone, cable, internet through same company), and got it sorted out (for now). Isn't that Comcastic?