Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #301
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Announcement

The presidency and cabinet of the Coffee, Insidious & Noble-ticket we will call the Entmoot Freedom Party.

Dear citizens of the Moot, you have 1 vote.

If we are to cast off the oppressors-that-be we need every single vote. It is ours and yours duty to fight against the powers that would have lie down.

Use that duty - vote for the one freedom party of Entmoot

1 vote... 1 Entmoot Freedom Party
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #302
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

For All Candidates

Ok,

a few housekeeping details:

I have updated the candidate list to include Insidious Rex and Noble Elf Lord---and welcome to both of them!

You can view all the important details of the election so far on that first post. Also, the lobbyist buying special is over, so those of you who didn't take the time to buy some of those are out of luck. It's just the way things go.

Also, for all candidates:

1) It would be neat for every team to come up with a name for their party. This is actually an election tradition, we we just plum looked over it this time. Acalewia picked "Entmooter's Party" for our team.

2) For the benefit of Entmoot voters who come to this thread and read the first post, it would be nice for every team of candidates to come up with a short summary of what their campaign is about and what they plan to do--- 5 sentences minimum, 9 sentences max. Using semicolons to get more words in is cheating. No run-on sentences allowed. Be succinct! The summary MAY NOT be a bullet point or numbered list. Must be in the form of a short paragraph. The style adopted must be close to that of an annotated bibliography. Also, you must reply to this section of this post and announce your campaign summary as such. No spell checking will be done for you, so make sure you are grammatically OK!

The campaign summary will be posted on the opening post after the candidate/team/party names.

Thanks!
Pres. Emeritus

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 04-14-2010 at 06:34 PM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #303
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
The presidency and cabinet of the Coffee, Insidious & Noble-ticket we will call the Entmoot Freedom Party.

Dear citizens of the Moot, you have 1 vote.

If we are to cast off the oppressors-that-be we need every single vote. It is ours and yours duty to fight against the powers that would have lie down.

Use that duty - vote for the one freedom party of Entmoot

1 vote... 1 Entmoot Freedom Party
I shall post your party name on the first post, then! Any preferred font?

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 04-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #304
Coffeehouse

P.S. For all voters out there, this can be considered our manifesto and if you have any questions about our campaign, our candidates or the price of bottled-water across various European countries or the state of Maryland, don't hesitate to ask!

Our Declaration and Fight for the citizens of Entmoot

To the Moot and to the World it should appear evident how high we rate and value our just freedom. We hold ourselves bound in mutual duty to each and every Mooter to take the best care of the future of Entmoot, to avoid the dangers of returning to a slavish condition or the oppression of trolls, moderators and administrators.

It is self-evident that the power of every moderator, administrator and various other leaders of Entmoot that their power is inferior to the united consent of the Citizens of Entmoot – and that the wilful abuse of their Offices and our Laws is contrary to the good nature of the Moot and of our father, J.R.R. Tolkien.

We, the Entmoot Freedom Party, declare then that the universal, native rights of every Entmootian citizen can not be breached, none can be compelled to slighten their freedoms and all ways and laws of Entmoot should be of an equal, good nature and to enhance and not threaten the well-being of the citizen of Entmoot.

We declare these to be our rights and the cause for our fight,

Entmoot Freedom Party
Coffee (Pres), Insidious (VP) and Noble (MG)
April, 2010

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 04-14-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #305
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord View Post
(God damn it, I'm turning into a politician! If that happens, hector is a small worry...lol.)
IIRC you said you didn't want to have anything to do with Politics. That your "faith in democracy is fragile". Yet here you are running for a cabinet position.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #306
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Um... it's not a German accent. It's Euro-English. You need to keep up on the people's lives if you want them to vote for you!
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #307
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Then can you explain to me, why only one and a half (*) of you have picked a chapter in the Unfinished Tales Chapter Discussion?

Think and answer carefully.

(*)I say one and a half because only Varnafindë has chosen and posted a chapter intro. Coffeehouse's original chapter was scrapped and he has yet to choose a new one.
Personally, it's because I've never really read all the way through the UT (that's the one that begins with Turin's story?), though I want to and have tried before, and I'm not sure I could do it justice.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #308
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
IIRC you said you didn't want to have anything to do with Politics. That your "faith in democracy is fragile". Yet here you are running for a cabinet position.
Coffeehouse could sell you snowflakes in Syberia. During a blizzard. As such, we're gonna win... Really, I'd love to have you as president if we don't win, but hector is questionable... sorry buddy.

Quote:
...why only one and a half (*) of you have picked a chapter in the Unfinished Tales Chapter Discussion?...
If we did, how would that help the spreading? And to maintain something includes, but of course is not limited to, accepting change to a certain degree.
Also, I do not own UT. You can't expect that of me automatically. So how could I discuss?

Let it be noted that the opinions/answers given by me in this post do not necessarily represent those of the Entmoot Freedom Party. I answered for myself, which I think was what you meant.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #309
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Personally, it's because I've never really read all the way through the UT (that's the one that begins with Turin's story?), though I want to and have tried before, and I'm not sure I could do it justice.
But as a team, we have already contributed
(by means of my contribution).

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #310
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
We hold ourselves bound in mutual duty to each and every Mooter to take the best care of the future of Entmoot, to avoid the dangers of returning to a slavish condition or the oppression of trolls, moderators and administrators.
You gotta love being readily lumped in with trolls. It makes me feel all loved and warm inside.

Quote:
If we did, how would that help the spreading? And to maintain something includes, but of course is not limited to, accepting change to a certain degree.
So spreading the love for Tolkien doesn't include actual discussion of his work?

Quote:
Also, I do not own UT. You can't expect that of me automatically. So how could I discuss?
Allow me to introduce you to the wonderful world of... libraries.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #311
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

The Entmoot Freedom Party talks about the breech of mooter rights as well as the Entmoot staff's powers, and likens the admins to trolls!

Is it just me, or do Coffeehouse et al seem highly adminophobic?

To paraphrase Terry Pratchett, this kind of talk is like standing on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards!'. Sister Golden Hair's admin stick hasn't been wielded in a long while and I'm certain there are powerful admins out there who are just looking for an excuse to claim and use this dreadful weapon

The Entmooter's party, with its authoritarian perspectives, its tough stance on criminals (convicted ones as well as innocent!) and its intense desire to maintain maximum security prisons - well, that sounds like a platform that should appeal more to the admins and mods

Quote:
Wait, Tessar is SPIDER-MAN and X Perry Mint his black-suit symbiont? Somehow I think he may even like that explanation enough to adopt it.
X Perry Mint's election platform is pure Venom
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #312
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
*smack*

Bad Jonathan!

Coffee, I gotta say, your platform is appealing to me more and more. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to elect you, so we can keep the corrupt modmins at bay.

Of course, once that's taken care of, we'd have to overthrow you as well, but no deal's perfect.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #313
hectorberlioz

Quote:
...but hector is questionable... sorry buddy.
I am questionable. Ask me anything, and I'll answer as best I can

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 04-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #314
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Vive Entmoot Libre!

Though of course I'm of the opinion that all our beloved mods and admins are noble souls selflessly volunteering their invaluable time for a thankless task.

(kiss kiss grovel grovel)

Confession: Last election I didn't vote, resulting in Nurv being held to a miserable tie- not that I didn't like the Sas, but Nurv was the One.

Not this time!

Yes, we can! (or, well at least we possibly can if we try even if we don't bother to try all that hard because at least it's the thought that counts isn't it and really it is so hard to get anything done these days what with everything being in such a mess not like the old days and isn't it funny the weather we've been having...)

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #315
hectorberlioz

GM,

Indeed, the weather's been funky! And a scary amount of earthquakes. The Memphis fault line is said to be shifting a bit.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #316
inked
Elf Lord

Memphis fault line, mi azz! Dat iz de New Madrid fault line, Hektor. Und I shud no sins I liv on it!

Klerly, dis feld of opportunists iz best led by Hektor! Just luk at de crapola bein put on by de rest!

Un CH haz klerly not red de EuroEnglish posting!

Gwai iz abanduning de champan platform!

HEKTOR, HEKTOR
HE's da Man
Acally kan help
Hektor prezidan!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #317
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Wait, Tessar is SPIDER-MAN and X Perry Mint his black-suit symbiont? Somehow I think he may even like that explanation enough to adopt it.

O_o Holy crap-a-ma-dizzle-mah-fizzle-fo-rizzle!!!!!!!! I had never thought of it that way! Okay, I will totally be X Perry Mint if that's how it's gonna play out. I mean... dang.... word up. ^_^
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #318
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
So spreading the love for Tolkien doesn't include actual discussion of his work?

Allow me to introduce you to the wonderful world of... libraries.
I can't see the connection. Are we supposed to discuss a book, then tell others while spreading that this is how they should think/talk of? Let people read the stuff and then, they are bound to discuss it. On their own. Or if they don't, we can hardly help it.

Allow me to introduce you to the wonderful world of... Finnish publishers. I haven't seen the book ever anywhere, or if I have, I've been so young I haven't known of Tolkien then. Not all of us have good publishers.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #319
Coffeehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Coffee, I gotta say, your platform is appealing to me more and more. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to elect you, so we can keep the corrupt modmins at bay.
Not bad , I'd rate you as one of the top three toughest votes to get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Of course, once that's taken care of, we'd have to overthrow you as well, but no deal's perfect.
That's more disturbing though but I guess I'd be wrong to disagree since all power does corrupt. Yet all Entmoot citizens may rest assured, since this is one of many reasons for bringing the integrity of Insidious and the a-politicalness of Noble onto the ticket. We seek to be the first uncorruptable administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Vive Entmoot Libre!

Though of course I'm of the opinion that all our beloved mods and admins are noble souls selflessly volunteering their invaluable time for a thankless task.

Confession: Last election I didn't vote, resulting in Nurv being held to a miserable tie- not that I didn't like the Sas, but Nurv was the One.

Not this time!

Yes, we can! (or, well at least we possibly can if we try even if we don't bother to try all that hard because at least it's the thought that counts isn't it and really it is so hard to get anything done these days what with everything being in such a mess not like the old days and isn't it funny the weather we've been having...)
Freedom!

But every vote is needed if we are to resolve the cause of freedom that all Mooters are drawn irresistably towards.

Quote:
I can't see the connection. Are we supposed to discuss a book, then tell others while spreading that this is how they should think/talk of? Let people read the stuff and then, they are bound to discuss it. On their own. Or if they don't, we can hardly help it.

Allow me to introduce you to the wonderful world of... Finnish publishers. I haven't seen the book ever anywhere, or if I have, I've been so young I haven't known of Tolkien then. Not all of us have good publishers.
Hehe yeah I think we have the same problem in Norway as you have in Finland. Not quite sure if UT is translated into Norwegian Either way, I prefer reading it in English.

And I've now signed up on a chapter in the UT discssion that'll cover the Entmoot Freedom Party's contribution
Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #320
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Sister Golden Hair's admin stick hasn't been wielded in a long while and I'm certain there are powerful admins out there who are just looking for an excuse to claim and use this dreadful weapon
No, I don't think anyone is ever going to wield it but her. It's a bit like Kingship in Gondor, it may have been more easily and readily claimed elsewhere, but not here. Besides, Val has his inflatable hammer, Tessar probably has some secret weapon that is small and presumably glowing green, and I have my trusted plastic gecko. Although you maybe right in it not having been wielded enough.... Maybe I should start looking for noisy people in wet copper armour...

Quote:
If Carnage is going to surface any minute now, I am so out of here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post

That last bit kind of throws doubt on your previous statement. Shame, you were doing so well.

Quote:
You don't exactly need good publishers if you've got good libraries. But to each their own.
Quote:
Discussion is the offering and comparing of different opinions, IMO, not the dictating of how people should think. But I reckon we're not on the same page here, so I'll drop it.