Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #301
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

That's great, Tessar!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 05-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #302
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Well, after much prayer and many weeks of worry and wondering... I have an (at least temporary) voice teacher.
Aha, so there was a light at the end of the tunnel after all. Good to hear.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:50 AM   #303
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Ahhhh - my oldest son graduated from high school Thursday, and we had a great party Saturday ...

*settles down in a comfy recliner with some tea and a lovely carved wooden table at her side holding fresh scones*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 05-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #304
Mari
Elf Lady

Congrats!
What will he do now?

I'm happy because I've been teaching the whole day without supervision. It was hell, but it was great. I feel like I've had 30 pair of feet run over me. Perhaps they did...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #305
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
I feel like I've had 30 pair of feet run over me. Perhaps they did...
Mentally, if not otherwise ...

(says the former teacher, who has moved on to office work ...)

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #306
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

My good luck this past week is truly astounding. O_O

I got the music I need to study for the opera workshop this summer, I got a lesson with an AMAZING teacher (as I continue to practice them, techniques are already doing wonderful things for my voice!), AND....

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT I WAS CAST AS THE POLICE CAPTAIN IN NEXT SEMESTER'S PIRATES OF PINZANCE!!!!!

It's a leading role (although certainly not a 'large' leading role), and some very good singers got cast in chorus roles... Whatever the reason is that I got the part, I'm just very grateful to have it, and conscious that I need to do a good job because there are lots of other students who could very easily fill my shoes if I don't keep up.

I'm just so thankful for this chance... I still almost can't believe it. When I read the message I screamed and my mom thought I was in pain . She didn't realize it was a scream of pure joy .

Memorizing my parts for the opera workshop is coming along really well too! Hopefully by July this music will be so stuck in my head I'll be able to perform it without a hitch.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:28 AM   #307
Mari
Elf Lady

Isn't the point of that camp that you learn? What's the good of already knowing everything perfectly then
But seriously: congrats!

Old 05-30-2009, 05:42 AM   #308
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Congratulations, Tessar! I'm sure you'll do great.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:11 AM   #309
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Congrats!
What will he do now?
He's still looking for a summer job - with this economy, it's hard! And he's never had a job before because he was always at football practice during the summer. Then the plan is to go to the local community college for 2 years, then transfer to a university to finish up.

Quote:
I JUST FOUND OUT THAT I WAS CAST AS THE POLICE CAPTAIN IN NEXT SEMESTER'S PIRATES OF PINZANCE!!!!!
Oh, I LOVE Pirates!!! (and with a name like hers, I bet sis does, too! )

*goes off singing "Tarantara! tarantara! *

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 05-31-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #310
Mari
Elf Lady

Ah yes, I keep forgetting that in the US you don't really choose what you're going to study before you go to Uni.
Good luck with the finding a job. I've had the worst luck with that for years *counts* 7 years to be exact. And now that I'm unavailable for work because of my US-adventure, job-agencies keep calling me and stuff. >_<

Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #311
Amael
Elven Warrior

Don't you just love America that way?

Anywho, so for months I've been busy with all the things, and the stuff. All the things are the stuff dealing with my son and daughter, both almost 6 months old now, and all stuff are the things dealing with my husband and him having a new opportunity so we may be moving. And then the rest is giving this place over to my sister, Amanda. She'll take care of it while we're gone for some months. It's a temporary move. Until this move, I decided to finish up some gardening. Quite ironic too. Allergies are exacerbated by gardening of this nature. Soooooo ... that makes sense. But I got allergy shots so I should be okay.

Oh yeah, I heard this news of some scientists in California who made a very efficient military-grade laser, and Arnold Schwartzeneggar announced it. I'm surprised he didn't put a Terminator quote in his talk about it, but it was a brief talk. I still think it's embarrassing to even think about him saying, "you Californians, you're the real Terminators." I was drinking water when I first saw that, and I just spit the water out when I heard that!! It was just too silly that it was disturbing.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #312
Rían

Oh - sorry, forgot to say that he wants to be a physical therapist!

Happy - speaking of physical therapists, I'm working with a man now who has really been hauling the ol' foot around, and it's improving again! My other therapist was a very slender young lady, and I gotta say that I think sometimes you just need a guy's strength. Finally, after more than a year and a half, I'm sometimes walking straight forward without pain!!!!! I still can't do the sideways stuff, and I'm very unstable, but on occasion, there is no pain when I walk straight

WOw, we take a lot of things for granted! (like walking)

Old 06-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #313
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

omg... you guys... my new temporary voice teacher = TEH FRIGGIN' AWESOMEEEE.

So... freaking... amazing.... at... teaching... voice....

His techniques kick you in the ass then let you sing like you've never sung before. FOR REELZ.

*melts into a puddle of baritonal fanboyism*

He got me singing an Ab in full voice, correctly, which I've never really done before. I've hit it once or twice, but never in a correct way.

I tell you what, this makes me wish HARDCORE that I had $40,000 a year to spend on school instead of $8,000 because this guy's teaching is absolutely priceless. I would switch to his university so fast it would make the administration at my university forget I had ever existed .

Last edited by Tessar : 06-05-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #314
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
I would switch to his university so fast it would make the administration at my university forget I had ever existed .
Oh, wow!! I am so happy for you! Isn't it great to find a REALLY GOOD teacher!

Can you study privately with him, and take classes at the other school? I'm sure something can be arranged. I know there's a lot of protocol surrounding these sorts of things, though I hope you can work something out!

Congrats on the Ab! I recently sang an E6 in a lesson(!), which is a note i thought i'd lost forever in the sands of time A good teacher can do wonders!
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Old 06-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #315
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Good for you Tessar! And I'm sure your voice is happy too

Oh, so many things to be happy about - Summer holidays! All exams passed! Uni friends!
Federer and Söderling in the French Open final!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #316
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Life is beautiful;

I came back from a 7-day kayaking trip in the wild (so no other person but my kayaking friend for 7 days; saw the threathened Saimaa seal, some beavers and lots of birds, though) 10 days ago. The trip was marvellous, we were really lucky with the weather and the silence and tranquility was needed.

I went back to the field station after that, only to have a chat with my professor/supervisor and her saying I should take another week off due to lack of things to do at the station for that while. So, now I'm on a vacation again, but this time in the city. The city isn't all that bad, though, especially if you have fun things to do. Me and Sedeer signed the contract for our new flat yesterday, and got the keys immediately. The flat is much larger than mine, the kitchen is wonderfully big and we have a balcony. We'll move in at the end of June. 8)

My supervisor is giving clear indications that she'd love to have me do a PhD in the group, something I'd be very happy to do; it's a great research group, and I really enjoy the subject. And, that means I'll stay here for 3-4 years more, when S should be finished as well. Then we can take over the world (or move to a hut in some remote mountaineous place).

Life is great.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 06-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #317
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Thumbs up, Nerdanel
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #318
Rían

That sounds wonderful, Nel!!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #319
katya
Elven Maiden

We went to the zoo today! I love all of the kitties!!!!!!!!!! This one came right up to the glass and stared at me.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #320
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Finished last quarter as an undergrad. No more being a hermit!
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Closed Thread