Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #301
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
Today is such a good day to commit suicide.
Whoa. How come?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 11-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #302
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

No, Rosie; no day is a good day to commit suicide. Life has its problems, sometimes things that happen suck, but the sun always rises again.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 11-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #303
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Today is such a good day to commit suicide.

What? Why? I dont think it is at all.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Old 11-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #304
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
No, Rosie; no day is a good day to commit suicide. Life has its problems, sometimes things that happen suck, but the sun always rises again.
And then the next day is filled with things that suck.

Okay, okay. I know I sounded really pathetic there... I was having a 'sky is falling' day. Do you ever wake up in the morning and suddenly wonder why the heck you are where you are? I'm going to be twenty-one in a week and a half, and I'm getting really depressed about it. There was all these things I thought that I would do and be by the time I was twenty-one.... And really, life isn't horrendous. It's just not what I thought it would be. And I feel like it's all downhill from here. All the time people say, when they look back, "You know--those were the best days of my life." And I feel like: if this was the best, life truly sucks. Some days you just wonder, why bother?

...Like I said, very pathetic. But I do feel better now than I did this morning. So...
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #305
Mari
Elf Lady

I'm glad you feel better.
But please don't say things about commiting suicide. It will make a lot of people sad.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 11-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #306
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
And then the next day is filled with things that suck.

Okay, okay. I know I sounded really pathetic there... I was having a 'sky is falling' day. Do you ever wake up in the morning and suddenly wonder why the heck you are where you are? I'm going to be twenty-one in a week and a half, and I'm getting really depressed about it. There was all these things I thought that I would do and be by the time I was twenty-one.... And really, life isn't horrendous. It's just not what I thought it would be. And I feel like it's all downhill from here. All the time people say, when they look back, "You know--those were the best days of my life." And I feel like: if this was the best, life truly sucks. Some days you just wonder, why bother?

...Like I said, very pathetic. But I do feel better now than I did this morning. So...
It's not the truth. The teens and 20's are not the best days of any interesting life.

Certainly weren't the best days for me...and I probably haven't even had the best days yet. Things just keep getting better.

I'll add to this information on other popular lies.

"Your college years determine your whole life."
Nope.

"Your wedding day is the most important day of your life. It must be perfect."
Nope

"Since I got married, became a parent, I haven't had a life."
Nope.

"Old people are depressed and lonely."
Nope.

"The world is so full of a number of things..." That's my motto. And I try to learn from the people I know who've been through the most...they're fascinating people.

Glad your day improved. *passes chocolate*

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 11-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #307
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
It's not the truth. The teens and 20's are not the best days of any interesting life.

Certainly weren't the best days for me...and I probably haven't even had the best days yet. Things just keep getting better.

I'll add to this information on other popular lies.

Nope.

"Your wedding day is the most important day of your life. It must be perfect."
Nope

"Since I got married, became a parent, I haven't had a life."
Nope.

"Old people are depressed and lonely."
Nope.

"The world is so full of a number of things..." That's my motto. And I try to learn from the people I know who've been through the most...they're fascinating people.

Glad your day improved. *passes chocolate*
Even though my life right now is quite fine, that shared me up rather much, Sis! And I'll have a bit of that chocolate, if you don't mind!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #308
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
*smacks gwai upside the head for bein' so gosh-darned cheerful

Oh, and FTR, high school is definitely NOT the high point of your life. The only people who say that are the sad gits who married their classmate, and never moved on from high school. Life gets better, baby.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #309
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
Nope.

That right there, Sis, really brightened me up. Thanks. Even though it wasnt aimed at me, still thanks.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 11-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #310
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

*sigh* I know it's not nice at all, I know I shouldn't be thinking this, I know it really solves nothing and probably does more bad than good in the end, but somewhere, deep down, I find myself secretly rooting for SeaSheperd to ram and sink that effing whaling fleet...

The point is moot anyway since Sea Sheperds ramming days are over, but still...

Last edited by Earniel : 11-21-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #311
Nautipus
Kraken King

I....kind of agree with you. I dont want people getting killed, but maybe a quick dunk'll make 'em a little more leery of takin' to the sea again. Whaling needs to be banned the world over. Every form, no matter if it is for traditional or ceremonial reasons, I believe that it should be banned.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 11-21-2007, 05:02 AM   #312
Mari
Elf Lady

Yet you probably eat chicken, cow and pig. And perhaps even fish as well.
Not saying I agree with the way whales are slaughtered, but I can't say I can seriously make a case against whaling, other then the painful methods.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 AM   #313
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Not saying I agree with the way whales are slaughtered, but I can't say I can seriously make a case against whaling, other then the painful methods.
I disagree. You can most definitely make a case against whaling. And on well surely these grounds: The Japanese whaling fleet abuses the name of science to cover up their illegal whaling. The abuse a loophole in the international treaty that allows killing whales for scientific research. Not many results have come out of it so far (some say only internal reports, others say preciously little is published in scientific peer-reviewed papers. I can't be definite, but it's a very poor scientific track-record nevertheless), and scientists argue -with reason- that those studies did not require such a large number of killed animals, there are many other, less-invasive ways to obtain that level of data. No, the Japanase 'research' is just a ruse for commercial hunting.

It is also illegal by international treaty to hunt whales. Granted, they're not the only one who broke the treaties, Iceland and Norway hunt illegally too. But Japan not only hunts but also sees it necessary to lie about it. A bit sad for a land with such a tradition of honour.

Their 'numbers' on which they base their whaling-quota are sketchy and contended at best. There are numerous reports that they have been whaling in marine reserves and in Australian and New-Zealand's national waters.

There are also several rumours that there isn't much of a market for whale-meat in the first place, leaving much of last season's catch still in the freezers. I do say rumours, since I have no definite source and the Japanese -naturally- contradict this. So I'll leave this argument in the middle.

Also, whale meat contains a lot of pollutants, such as heavy metals, curtesy of our good treatment of the oceans. It's toxic and they're throwing it on the market. Really sound thinking, there.

Several NGO's have accused Japan many times already of abusing their aid programmes to buy support from small pacific countries for lifting the moratorium on whaling in the IWC.

I know you like Japan, Mari, and know it a lot better then me. But I have yet to see the first slaughterhouse with a similar track record. I'm sorry, but I don't think this comparison quite flies.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #314
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:

Most whale species' numbers are/where in the three digit mark from overfishing. You dont see the same thing with cows, pigs, or chickens. I dont like the way those animals are treated, but whales are also loaded with pollutants (as are marlin, for that matter). The grey whale is barely making a comeback, even though it is completely illegal to hunt them.
You hunt a whale species for so long and then you reach a point of no return, and the species dwindles down to nothing, and they havnt fond a way to captively breed the great whales.
Yes. I eat chicken, pork, and cattle. But that is a different thing, and this is not a comparative situation.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 11-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #315
Mari
Elf Lady

Well, as I said I'm not pro-whaling and I certainly don't think Japan has the right to go whale hunting under the pretense of science (and yes I know they do so), but on the other hand I wonder why the international community can't seriously do something about it.
I hear from all sides comments that the Japanese counting of whales is wrong and that they don't use the right numbers, but no one seems to be able to tell us what exactly the right numbers are.

I was told, only last week in class, that in contrast with other whaling countries, in Japan everything of the whale is used, to the last bone and even the intestines. Also, the IWC has thanked Japan for the information on whales they provided from their research several times allready. Non-commited organizations are also trying to research whales, without killing them, but sofar they don't have the same amount of info as the Japanese have gathered.

BUT when Japan says that eating whale is traditional, that's an un-truth in the historical sense. Yes there are some villages that are dependend on whaling for the livelihoods, but Japan as a country, can perfectly live without it. They only eat it at special occasions such as marriage or religious services anyhow. Most Japanese will have eaten whale once in their lives, but that's all. There are within Japan commercials being broadcasted that show that whereas Japan after the war needed the whales to survive and in a sense where saved by their flesh, now it's time for the Japanese to return the favor. Yet most of the older people where raised on whale meat. They survived depressions with it. It's hard to change that. And the Japanese politicians are just thick-headed idiots who feel Japan loses face when they lose an argument or whatever.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #316
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautipus
Yes. I eat chicken, pork, and cattle. But that is a different thing,
I disagree. Killing animals to eat them is the same no matter what animal it is.
And the fact that it is easier to "produce" some new chickens after killing and eating the old ones than "producing" new whales, is to me not a valid argument.

I won't pretend to be a vegetarian allthough I hardly eat meat and can't eat seafood at all, but to me the killing is the same.
However, the way in which these whales are slaughtered is truly appaling. It's easier to live with the idea that they fell asleep because of gas first then with the knowledge that someone shot them and that they struggled and suffered a great deal before finally dying.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #317
Mari
Elf Lady

My teacher wrote us all an email last Tuesday saying that all our papers were so bad that she would give a lecture on how to write papers today.
She actually put in some pages of our papers to prove her point! She said that because she didn't put in names it was okay, but almost everyone knew eachothers subject, so it wasn't that anonymous.
Furthermore, she was saying things of which other teachers in previous years most certainly wouldn't have approved!
I saw three of my pages come by, one because I didn't end my footnote with a . and another beacuse I used too much white in between...

Like that. You're only supposed to use one white line.
But seriously, why would I have to end a footnote with a point? It's not even a whole sentence, it's just a name and a pagenumber!!
Now I have to rewrite the darn thing. ( Truthfully, it wasn't my best paper, but my writingstyle was good. I'm sooo not going to "improve" that.)

Old 11-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #318
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
I disagree. Killing animals to eat them is the same no matter what animal it is.
And the fact that it is easier to "produce" some new chickens after killing and eating the old ones than "producing" new whales, is to me not a valid argument.
To me it is. I dont like the way animals are treated in the food industry, I've already stated this. But to kill an animal to eat it is acceptable. But for that animal to suffer, and its sacrifice not be respected (even though it would rather not have died) is something else altogether. I believe that the fact that people have hunted so many animals to extiction plays a part here, because you have to put back what you've taken away. To kill off a species because of irresponsibility to restabilize an ecosystem is different than breeding an animal to eat.

Quote:
I won't pretend to be a vegetarian allthough I hardly eat meat and can't eat seafood at all, but to me the killing is the same.
However, the way in which these whales are slaughtered is truly appaling. It's easier to live with the idea that they fell asleep because of gas first then with the knowledge that someone shot them and that they struggled and suffered a great deal before finally dying.

I agree entirely, but the fact is that they whales to suffer and die (I know you know this, I'm just reiterateing).

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 11-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #319
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
My teacher wrote us all an email last Tuesday saying that all our papers were so bad that she would give a lecture on how to write papers today.
She actually put in some pages of our papers to prove her point! She said that because she didn't put in names it was okay, but almost everyone knew eachothers subject, so it wasn't that anonymous.
Furthermore, she was saying things of which other teachers in previous years most certainly wouldn't have approved!
I saw three of my pages come by, one because I didn't end my footnote with a . and another beacuse I used too much white in between...

Like that. You're only supposed to use one white line.
But seriously, why would I have to end a footnote with a point? It's not even a whole sentence, it's just a name and a pagenumber!!
Now I have to rewrite the darn thing. ( Truthfully, it wasn't my best paper, but my writingstyle was good. I'm sooo not going to "improve" that.)

Ugh, I can relate. My english teacher gave me a bad grade (which I'm rewriting) because of silly grammatical errors. It was a five page paper with over a dozen paragraphs, and she found three things wrong with it and handed it back with a big letter "D" stamped on it. I asked whu she was so harsh, and she stated that grammar is everything in a paper, even if the argument's invalid.

What the heck is that about?

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 11-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #320
Mari
Elf Lady

Beats me, but my teacher pretty pissed off the entire class with this. Especially since most of us at least, wrote it the way we were taught to write it and now she comes in telling us we and our previous teachers were wrong.
She sounded a bit presumptious. Plus, she is (like me) a very blunt person, so some of her comments and critiques really didn't come out well.

But now I have to write 3 papers instead of 2 and that is what upsets me most I guess.

Closed Thread