Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #301
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I have had problems with my Internet connection. Hope it is over.

Very nice posts, especially the AWESOME # 748 by LMM.

Guys, for those who go on patrol.

Here are some notes from UT (THE PORT OF LOND DAER)

Please note that Lond Daer Ened is situated on the South bank of the Gwathlo, therefore the road there should be on the other bank of the river, over the bridge and downstream. The land is very flat throughout, no hills or hillocks, quite swampy near Tharbad. The roads are made on artificial causeways. The road from Tharbad to Lond Daer was probably long neglected- for 150 years or such, causeways crumbling.

Quote:
At the point of the confluence of Glanduin and Mitheithel [Hoarwell] the land was almost flat, and the waters become sluggish and tended to spread into fenland. * But some hundred miles below Tharbad the slope increased. The Gwathló, however, never became swift, and ships of smaller draught could without difficulty sail or be rowed as far as Tharbad.

When Sauron was at last defeated and driven east out of Eriador most of the old forests had been destroyed. The Gwathló flowed through a land that was far and wide on either bank a desert, tree-less but untilled.

Before the decay of the North Kingdom and the disasters that befell Condor, indeed until the coming of the Great Plague in Third Age 1636, both kingdoms shared an interest in this region, and together built and maintained the Bridge of Tharbad and the long causeways that carried the road to it on either side of the Gwathló and Mitheithel across the fens in the plains of Minhiriath and Enedwaith. * A considerable garrison of soldiers, mariners and engineers had been kept there until the seven-teenth century of the Third Age. But from then onwards the region fell quickly into decay; and long before the time of The Lord of the Rings had gone back into wild fenlands.
Lotesse, will Vivvie try and go on patrol with Ray? - hint,hint...
Old 01-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #302
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I'm sure that Ray wouldn't feel it was right to take Viv along with him, but then again, who knows? He'd have to invite her; she wouldn't invite herself. I don't know! You'd have to ask Shah, not moi. I'm already behind here on a couple posts, anyway; we'll see when I'm a little caught up.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 01-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #303
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Oooo, just read Lady M's #748, and what a great read! That was excellent, Lady M. That was really, really good dialoguing. I loved it!!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 01-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #304
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Nope, Ray wont take his grilfriend out on patrol. As much fun as sharing a bedroll would be, its official business and treating it like a picninc would be unheard of. Sorry to squash that idea.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #305
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie
I've got the follow up to the drinking scene posted now. It's #748. Go read. It's long, a little more serious and hopefully good.
Wonderful post, Maggie - I really liked it a LOT! Great dialogue and interaction, esp. Mahta

I just thought of something - do you want to have Shah and/or Mahta run into Alagos and Tyaron, since they're both out around dawn? The animal attack was a strange thing - just one more little bit of info for the FOGALs to put on the back burner (do NOT worry, FOEADs - we don't want the rpg to end soon!). Also, it would be a chance for Shah to meet some fellow fighters and Mahta to meet the brother of Rian and the guy that does the sword engraving stuff that Rian talked about (although they certainly wouldn't stand around and chat or anything, but at least they've met). I imagine Alagos could use a hand getting Tyaron into the house, anyway - Shah would be good for that. Anyway, your call

Or also Ray/Marty, since they already know Alagos - maybe they could run into them and help out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
Well, I know its a rollie-eye, but I like the way he smiles better than the actual smile-smiley! So, I tend to use it for smiles... meaning no sarcasm whatsoever...
ok, ok I was just wondering, because usually it's sarcasm (and I tend to be uber-defensive *sigh* )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
I'll fill in my placeholder ASAP, hopefully tonight, but don't let me hold the game up.
Looking forward to it! Will your new place be listed in the local travel guides?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #306
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

All depends on the review Lily gives it.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 01-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #307
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Lol!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #308
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I'll have er...the lot of them run into eachother together. Cause I will need Marty, Ray, Mahta and Shah all together. But prior to that LOTESSE has to get her buns over here and post the lovey-dovey dinner scene. AND before even THAT I think we oughta get the commerce out of the way. Or at least give me and her an idea as to what went down, so we can include it in our posts.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #309
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
Nope, Ray wont take his grilfriend out on patrol. As much fun as sharing a bedroll would be, its official business and treating it like a picninc would be unheard of. Sorry to squash that idea.
Well, it is just a patrol, you have still no idea that something is really wrong.
But it is up to you.
But what about your (Ray's and Marty's) best friend Pengolod? Wouldn't you accept a young warrior eager to prove himself?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:05 PM   #310
Rían

I think commerce is done - we had fangirls ogling Val, Val nabbing the elfies for project partners (and protection against fangirls), and Lilly scheming for Val and against the elfies. Add something else if you want as a recollection or something

Is there a placeholder for the dinner scene? I had forgotten about that one ... it didn't make the schedule, and we're already into Wednesday at dawn But you guys can always do a flashback, or have Ray remember things about the dinner, or something like that ... or hopefully there's a placeholder.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #311
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Crud, I dont think there is a place holder, but there ought to be some falsh backs. I got the feeling from Val that he wanted something to go haywire, or silly, but if the scene is done, then Lotesse ought to have Viv meet up with Sir Doofus by the class room and we will take it from there.

A partol, whether in time of war or peace is a military operation. Penegolod would have to join the guards, and undergo their scrutiny, schedules etc, some one in the Army wouldn't take a friend to a patrol mission just cause they were gun range buddies...

But if penny wants to go with a group of gaurds under the watchful eyes of Ray, Mary and Shah, be my guest. Though I seriously think the whole routine would be against his liking. Not so many women and not much booze or sleep.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #312
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Look, All

Re: this fight.

I think the more unexpected it is, the more interesting it is going to be. If the warning is given, how can we have the bonfire celebration? And I loved the idea of an attack right in the midst of the party!

Perhaps Shah can go for the patrol, but return almost simultaneously with the attackers?
Udu, how many men are there in 12 ships?

Serenoli, I hope my Muse, a bit frivolous today, hasn't carried me too far?

Lotesse, thanks for you liking my poor Lilly. No one else does, it seems (cry-cry).

I like the idea of Penny joining the patrol to keep an eye on things... He is not only an alcoholic! He is a nazgul! You should do that, Lotesse!!

Shah: As for having to join the guards with all the routine... Neither Marty or Ray have done that, they are going as volunteers. Why not my (well, Lotesse's ) Penny?

Ohh, forgot to mention, SPLENDID posts! Lady M, that was your best so far! Rian, very touching! Shah - very funny. Great dialogue you all!

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 01-20-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #313
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Oh, that would be so damn funny! NAZGUL BOOTCAMP!

And yes, Marty and Ray will have signed up with the guards, I think I causually mentioned it in one of the drinking posts...will go back and check. But yeah, I think that perhaps the scout patrol will come in the nick of time, perhaps maybe within a day or so afore the attackers. By then they might actually be in sight from the walls.

I had no intention of Shah ringing the warning bell, that would just be daffy since the smoke came from way the hell away. I'll just have him organized a very well armed, stealth group.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #314
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Right then, I'll change the bell to going on patrol.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 01-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #315
CrazySquirrel

Quote:
And yes, Marty and Ray will have signed up with the guards, I think I causually mentioned it in one of the drinking posts...will go back and check. .
Did they? But how can it be possible: they have all those classes! I thought guard duty was a full-time job.
But if they did, why couldn't Buz do the same? What do you think, Lotesse?

Quote:
But yeah, I think that perhaps the scout patrol will come in the nick of time, perhaps maybe within a day or so afore the attackers. By then they might actually be in sight from the walls.
when?
But the attackers will come at night, won't they?
I just meant, to come in time to take part in the fight in the city, and be instrumental in beating the pirates, but not too early - not to spoil the bonfire party- that will start at dusk. How about that?

Quote:
I had no intention of Shah ringing the warning bell, that would just be daffy since the smoke came from way the hell away. I'll just have him organized a very well armed, stealth group.
I always thought the warning bell had been too much. There must be a hell of a lot of smoke around - all tharbad burning wood for heating and cooking. It is not like in modern times with electricity.

Smoke doesn't necessarily mean trouble -not enough to sound an alarm immediately or call all the citizens to arms. - but yes, enough to send a party to investigate.

And I noticed in Gor's post in this thread - about Lond Daer - that there was always a huge garrison of soldiers in Tharbad. So, why worry?
Old 01-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #316
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
And I noticed in Gor's post in this thread - about Lond Daer - that there was always a huge garrison of soldiers in Tharbad. So, why worry?
Because it hadn't been established in the game that the garrison was huge. It still hasn't and as this is techniacally AU, the garrison is average sized until someone says otherwise within the game.

Also something to keep in mind:

Some of us don't have access to the HoME books, so if you're using them to support plot points like that one please remember to either post the relevant exerpt here right away or establish that information within the story. Otherwise confusion ensues.

Thanks.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

Old 01-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #317
CrazySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
Some of us don't have access to the HoME books, so if you're using them to support plot points like that one please remember to either post the relevant exerpt here right away or establish that information within the story. Otherwise confusion ensues.
Well, hasn't Gor done just that?
Old 01-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #318
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Well, I never found any info on the military strength of Tharbad. It was a waning city by the time Val and co came over. Anyways, The class thing, yeah, I think its more feasable to have Marty there, and Ray doing his own thing. And the guards have their own life, they can work around teir shifts, and knowing Shah, he will allow Marty to go to his few classes and that schedule.

And yes, I think its a bit late for Penny to show up and join, because that morining they are heading out, Shah isnt going to wait for anybody, he wants to get his arse a move. I dont think you understand what 12 shiploads of pirates bent on attacking can do. They mobilize very quickly and can destroy things extremely fast and be out extremly fast. They can out do an organized force if they have hte element of surprise.

Now, okay, I can understand not wanting to ruin the bon fire thing, but perhaps when Shah comes back with his troops (or sends marty back, with his dispatches) he could quetly rouse the military while the rest of the people are partying?

Another question of logistics. Where will the pirates be landing and where are the military barracks? If they are half way across town, be sure of at least 25-30% of the immediate area (perhaps 6 or so blocks) being set a flame by the time soldiers actually mobilize and the fight begins.

One other thing. How does Tharbad combat fire? Do they have a volunteer firebrigade or something? Pumps, la de da? How would they cope with a fire?

I love this stuff. Experience comes in handy.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #319
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well, hasn't Gor done just that?
Yes, but I wish she had done so much earlier, when the attack idea was first mentioned. It could have saved us a good two pages of arguing because we would have been thinking from the same starting point.

- The Crucible

Old 01-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #320
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Agreed, but now that the fight is nigh sitting in our lap, we'd best get these peskery details out o the way. Secondly, where would Mahta fit in? Would she jon the fray on what point? I think Shah would send a falcon (god how i love those birds) with a warning to her, since she is really the only one he trusts. Perhaps with his dispatches she could rouse the troops? That and Marty would be riding ass over teakettle and arrive to back her up.

Though, at the present, I am tempted to have Shah call upon Ray to come with, since he and Mahta are both worried. He wants people he can trust to cover his back, since the rest of the town has suddenly gone dodgey on him. Which reminds me! Old Barli and the Peoples Watch! Oh, they will certainly be in on this!

Last edited by The last sane person : 01-20-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Closed Thread