Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 11:26 PM   #301
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I'm not even referring to the Teacup, in particular; I'm referring right NOW to my Paris riots thread which was just warming up and getting underway when 2 mooters with their joint spamming effort, combined with me having to ask them repeatedly to stop it, has so far frozen up the thread, so thanx a lot, little pests. It isn't "cute," O.K.!
Oh!? When did I spam! I just used a metaphor! I'm hoping that isn't going to be outlawed next! Well, I'm not giving up my metaphors, no matter what! And that was a good metaphor, very similar. Ask that other guy who's reading the Mars trilogy.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:28 PM   #302
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Vent: I have MSN messenger, and for some reason people keep logging on and off every minute. It's really annoying! STOP THAT! It's very distracting, so if you are one of the people beign referred to, STOP!!
Right now the same person keeps logging on and off, now as I type! I feel like erasing everyone all of a sudden. STOP!!!!!!!!
You can turn off the notice for that in Tools > Options > Alerts and Sounds.

That annoyed the heck out of me until I figured that out. I have no idea how to fix AIM though. You could always sign out of AIM when you're recording though.

EDIT: Forgot my own vent.

I've been back from exchange for two months, and my university's exchange office did not deign to inform me that a) my transcript had arrived from Sweden b) it was incomplete and c) I have assloads of paperwork to complete.

I did assloads of paperwork before my exchange, and I was under the impression I'd be finished all that crap. I aranged a lot with the Forestry department; I thought we were cool.

I suppose that's what I get for skimming the exchange student handbook.

But my vent isn't unjustified. There is a completely absurd amount of paperwork involved with going on exchange. It's actually easier to get a passport. It appears that the exchange office exists to make it more difficult to go on exchange (opposite their motto) rather than facilitate it. Because that would just... make sense. Stupid paperwork! Bah.

I feel better now. I've done quite a lot of it, but I have all these loose ends that are individually small tasks, but I'm being nibbled to death by ducks.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 11-13-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:33 PM   #303
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Oh!? When did I spam! I just used a metaphor! I'm hoping that isn't going to be outlawed next! Well, I'm not giving up my metaphors, no matter what! And that was a good metaphor, very similar. Ask that other guy who's reading the Mars trilogy.
Metaphor?

You were referring to something totally unrelated in ANY way to the Paris riots.

THAT is considered spamming, and you know it.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 11-13-2005, 11:34 PM   #304
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
You can turn off the notice for that in Tools > Options > Alerts and Sounds.

That annoyed the heck out of me until I figured that out. I have no idea how to fix AIM though. You could always sign out of AIM when you're recording though.

EDIT: Forgot my own vent.

I've been back from exchange for two months, and my university's exchange office did not deign to inform me that a) my transcript had arrived from Sweden b) it was incomplete and c) I have assloads of paperwork to complete.

I did assloads of paperwork before my exchange, and I was under the impression I'd be finished all that crap. I aranged a lot with the Forestry department; I thought we were cool.

I suppose that's what I get for skimming the exchange student handbook.

But my vent isn't unjustified. There is a completely absurd amount of paperwork involved with going on exchange. It's actually easier to get a passport. It appears that the exchange office exists to make it more difficult to go on exchange (opposite their motto) rather than facilitate it. Because that would just... make sense. Stupid paperwork! Bah.

I feel better now. I've done quite a lot of it, but I have all these loose ends that are individually small tasks, but I'm being nibbled to death by ducks.
I am running into a similar problem...*looks behind at piles of papers in the process of organization*
Old 11-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #305
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

when i scrolled down really fast, all i cought under the vent was "I'm being nibbled to death by ducks" i froze for a minute, then started laughing, thats great.

vent: i'm ****ing sick! this just isnt funny!!!!! dernitall! I never get this sick.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:50 PM   #306
trolls' bane

Quote:
Metaphor?

You were referring to something totally unrelated in ANY way to the Paris riots.

THAT is considered spamming, and you know it.
Have you read Red MArs? I don't beleive so. That being said, how can you say something you know nothing of yourself is unrelated to the subject it's being compared to?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:01 AM   #307
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Because Red Mars has absolutely NOTHING to do with the subject of the Parisian riots. THAT is why. Is there a reason why you're making me spell it out for you like this? Why are you being coy about it? Why on earth are you being like this, do you have a problem?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 11-14-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:34 AM   #308
trolls' bane

Quote:
Because Red Mars has absolutely NOTHING to do with the subject of the Parisian riots. THAT is why. Is there a reason why you're making me spell it out for you like this? Why are you being coy about it? Why on earth are you being like this, do you have a problem?
Lotesse, please listen. I referred to Sixty-one in Red Mars because of it's relation to Paris. I'm not as stupid as I look. I would not use a metaphor in a serious thread to refer to something unrelated. If you had read Red Mars, you would see the similarities. Please don't doubt my use of a metaphor until you know about what's being compared. Would you have said the same thing if the events of Sixty-one happened in, say, real life? It's a big difference, fiction and reality, but it's the same metaphor. Of course, that argues against my own point, because I compared fiction and reality, but that, too, is comparable despite it's difference. All fiction speaks from truth. What if I compared it to the Fremen rioting in Arrakeen? Would that be wrong to say? What if I compared it to something in real life, but that "real life" event was in fact fictional?

Ironically, I'm going through this same scenario in real life at exactly the same time.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:35 AM   #309
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Vent: it's sooo hard to make myself to finish typing my essay. Ack, I should be doing it -even-now-. 'Tis half past 8 in the morning here, and I -must- finish it for today's class (starting at 12:15). Oh my.

Related Anti-Vent: when I -finally- finish it, I'll be over & done with ALL the preparation needed for this class. Huzzah. All I have to do is to get there.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:52 AM   #310
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Alright-pay Attention Kids

We've got the Tea Cup Cafe for chit chat; not spamming.

We've got all kinds of threads for semi-serious and serious topics.

Let's acknowledge the intent of those who start these topics and STAY ON TOPIC within them. They aren't exercises for compare and contrast essays, nor for whimsy.

Honor the subject matter.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #311
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Argh. That's it. I'm -so- sick of these huge, under-the-skin zits I keep getting on my chin and jaw bone . Manly or not, I'm running down to walmarts and buying some foundation and concealer for next time I get one. I accidentally shaved over my last one and took off a chunk of skin, so now I have this huge red mark on my chin.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #312
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*looks at tessar
*looks at tessar wearing foundation
*doesn't say a goddamned thing
Old 11-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #313
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

i moved away from home more than a year ago. still my mum doesn't seem to get used to it. she calls me every two days, and if i don't answer, i have to have a good explanation. *sigh* and everytime, she asks me what i've been up to, if i eat in school, and then she tells me what she's done. the same thing every time!>.< it's nice that she cares and that she calls, but she could reduce it to once a week.. i did move away for a reason. *rant*

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 11-14-2005, 04:58 PM   #314
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
*looks at tessar
*looks at tessar wearing foundation
*doesn't say a goddamned thing

What? No jests about my masculinity and/or lack thereof?

But really. I -hate- zits. Every time I look in the mirror it drives me nuts because I just look so terrible with my acne.

Anyways. I've worn makeup before when I was performing on stage, so I -do- know how to put it on to hide my acne without looking like I actually have makeup on .

Last edited by Tessar : 11-14-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:23 PM   #315
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
i moved away from home more than a year ago. still my mum doesn't seem to get used to it. she calls me every two days, and if i don't answer, i have to have a good explanation. *sigh* and everytime, she asks me what i've been up to, if i eat in school, and then she tells me what she's done. the same thing every time!>.< it's nice that she cares and that she calls, but she could reduce it to once a week.. i did move away for a reason. *rant*
Aww, poor you. Sounds really frustrating. Have you talked to her about it at all?
Maybe you don't give her reason to trust you , maybe she just misses you a lot. At any rate, you should try to resolve it otherwise you might snap and then really hurt her.

Quote:
But really. I -hate- zits. Every time I look in the mirror it drives me nuts because I just look so terrible with my acne.

Anyways. I've worn makeup before when I was performing on stage, so I -do- know how to put it on to hide my acne without looking like I actually have makeup on
Curious, what have you tried for your zits? None of those creams/cleansers/toners etc that I've tried really worked. I tried some medicated acne cream and my skin reacted badly to it- the redness wouldn't go away for days. Though that could've been due to some illness of mine at the time. Anyway, I don't care so much about it now, largely because my skin's settling down on its own now. As will your skin too. Oh, and other people don't notice your acne nearly as much as you do.

Do guys put on less makeup when you go on stage? When I had my dance concerts, I had it REALLY packed on. I mean, I looked like a tart if I wasn't on stage.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #316
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
Aww, poor you. Sounds really frustrating. Have you talked to her about it at all?
Maybe you don't give her reason to trust you , maybe she just misses you a lot. At any rate, you should try to resolve it otherwise you might snap and then really hurt her.
Well, I've tried to hint.. Like *hint, HINT!!* but it doesn't seem to work. She says she misses me, but she has to learn to let go.. Not completely, but still. Yes, I should talk to her about it, but I don't think she'll listen. You're right though.. I don't want to hurt her either, so.. >.<

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 11-14-2005, 08:22 PM   #317
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I haven't really found anything that helps very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen

Do guys put on less makeup when you go on stage? When I had my dance concerts, I had it REALLY packed on. I mean, I looked like a tart if I wasn't on stage.

It depends. Men (and women) use a lot of makeup if we're going to be on a really huge stage acting for a large audience. I'm more familiar with small houses and small audiences, though, so I've never had to use a lot of makeup. I've worn some lipstick once or twice though because my natural lip color is so close to my skin tone and just vanishes under stage lighting.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:35 AM   #318
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh god, what a day!!
*swears to the god she doesn't believe in that she will invest in a shot-gun to shoot off the 'nads of any misbegotten edjit that steps into her office to request a "favour" between now and next Monday. Thank herakles, I've got tomorrow off.

Quote:
Anyways. I've worn makeup before when I was performing on stage, so I -do- know how to put it on to hide my acne without looking like I actually have makeup on .
And that's better, how exactly?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:47 AM   #319
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

..or you could dig a pit just inside your office door and fill it with sharp sticks.....soooo much more satisfying.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #320
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

just remember to tell the cleaner first!

"Ok Miss pants ...i'll be careful ... but i hope you don't expect me to hoover down there!"

Last edited by Butterbeer : 11-15-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Closed Thread