Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2002, 10:27 AM   #301
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Well, everyone is saying goodnight, but now its morning, at least over here is the US of A. I am not in a good mood. HOW did they not win for ART DIRECTION!?!? BEST PICTURE!?!?! (IT WAS!) BEST DIRECTING (To bad the catagory wasn't MOST directing, PJ would have a lock) Oh well, 4/12 isn't bad...umm...that's 33%....they deserved more, but what are you going to do?
~Rosie~
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:37 AM   #302
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Grrrr.... Lord of the Rings should have won Best Picture. I demand a recount! The ballots were confusing!

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:49 AM   #303
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Okay, I'm back, and I only fainted, I'm not really dead!

But I'm really mad. . .stupid Oscars, grumble, grumble. Who wants to storm Hollywood with me?

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 11:21 AM   #304
Khadrane
Elf Lord

We'll come! We'll show them won't we, preciousss... we'll makes them wish they had done what we wanted...

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 11:23 AM   #305
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel

Count me in, so long as the quest involves meeting Elijah Wood...

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 11:27 AM   #306
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

There's Got To Be a Morning After....

Well, the Acadummies are over, the fix was in, the hype won out, and once again it has been shown, yet again and beyond the shadow of a doubt, that an Oscar ain't worth two hamster emissions.

Look at where LotR was snubbed: Art Direction? Moulin Spooge? Give me a break. One can find better art direction in a group of velvet Elvis paintings.

COSTUMES? HUH????????? Like it took ANY imagination to get some strumpet outfit out of an 1890s daugerrotype?

Oh well. I hate to be right, but on the Acadummy, it ain't difficult. Always assume they will vote for a film you know is a piece of mouldering tripe and you will never lose a bet.

Plus, we all knew the fix was in the second they started all the garbage talk about how some actors had been snubbed in the past and now it was time for the Acadummy to "make it up" to them. That right there shows that the awards ain't got JACK to do with true filmmaking craftsmanship, it is nothing but a huge hollyweird popularity contest meant for recognizing who people LIKE, not whom folks respect for their work.

It doesn't matter. Even if the next two films receive Academy Awards for best Director and Best Film, the fact remains that they are in no way a reflection of TRUE quality in filmmaking. You watch, they'll start all the blather about "needing to make it up" to Peter Jackson and LotR. And once again, the awards will be an exercise in political correctness and personalities and not a reflection of quality.

Oh, and Halle Berry needed a straight jacket.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 11:35 AM   #307
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel

*appaluds* I nominate bropus for best understanding of the philosophy behind the Oscars!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 11:59 AM   #308
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I still think FOTR didn't deserve best picture or best director. Since I didn't see Moulin Rouge - I can't really say whether it was cheated in those categories.

I was surprised that Momento didn't win for Editing.

FOTR won the ones I figured it would.

I can't believe I watched the stupid Oscars though - considering I hate Hollywood and most people there are phony and wouldn't give you the time of day if your life depended on it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 12:12 PM   #309
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Same here, JD. I can't believe I watched the entire infernal thing. Won't make that mistake again. I can read about TT and RotK's two awards each the following day.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 01:13 PM   #310
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: Lord of the Reams

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
Well, LotR got the royal shaft, pretty much like I figured. then ,Whooppy Goldberg with her racist jokes about caucasians.

Reminded me of why it had been twenty years since I had sat through an Academy Awards show. Only two more years to go, then it will be forty years til I see it again, when someone produces a film of "The Silmarillion".

UP the academy. And ron howard can go take a short walk off a long pier.
My, this is an active thread. Now now folks, let's not be poor losers, afterall we scooped up four of them, just not the best four. And that is right, there is always next year, and the year after that.

I was a little disappointed that LotRs did not win best picture. It was a terrible disappointment that it did not win for best adapted screenplay.

As for best director, I thought PJ had a chance, but when the award went to Ron Howard, I can't say that I was too upset with that. He is a guy that has been around since chilhood. Worked hard and has directed several excellent movies and never won an oscar. So If PJ couldn't have it, I was happy that (Opie) won it instead of a noname that has done little.

And again, look at the bright side, we didn't walk away empty handed and we get two more chances.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 02:19 PM   #311
Earenya
Elven Warrior

bropous, excellent commentary. I totally agree, one of the biggest reflectors of this was Russell Crowe winning for 'Gladiator'- when his actual Oscar-winning performance had been for 'The Insider'.

I was thrilled that Howard Shore won for score. I am normally a hands-down John Williams fan, but I truly (and unbiasedly! I promise!) thought that LotR had the best soundtrack. It was beautifully executed, fit the film perfectly, didnt sound like one track being played over and over, and reflected the different sounds of ME. Cheers to Shore!
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 05:21 PM   #312
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Hmmph. It's more than twelve hours later and I'm still weeping internally. Oh well. I think FOtR was the only soundtrack that had a CHANCE to win. The others were good, but this was the BEST! Thank you, Howard Shore!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 06:13 PM   #313
Brimvalir
Elven Warrior

Treebeard Oscars

I saw A Beautiful Mind - While I applaud the effort to address Schitzophrenia I think Lord of The Rings was the better movie - ah well its only showbiz

All that is gold does not glitter nor are all those who wander lost......
Brimvalir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 03:17 AM   #314
Eruviel Greenleaf

What can I say? I didn't expect Best Picture, as nice as it would have been. And if you ask me, neither Beautiful Mind nor LotR were the BEST films this year, although I did want LotR to win because I am a horribly biased person But I was expecting Sir Ian to win, and LotR for the screenplay. (Best adapted screenplay? Most of Beautiful Mind was made up! Okay, I know, I know, it was still adapted. . .) Yeah, but we all know the 'Acadummies' don't really reflect what the true best picture is anyway. I'm with bropous on that one. But it's great that Howard Shore's music won! That is good music

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-26-2002, 03:41 AM   #315
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
(Best adapted screenplay? Most of Beautiful Mind was made up! Okay, I know, I know, it was still adapted. . .)
I think they should call that category the MOSTLY adapted screenplay category.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 03:54 AM   #316
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
I think they should call that category the MOSTLY adapted screenplay category.
That would make more sense

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-26-2002, 05:49 AM   #317
athelas
Enting

I spent 4 hours watching the whole damn thing only to see LotR get trampled by the likes of Moulin Rouge. Blah. I can't believe LotR lost art direction to it. Sir Ian Mckellen should have gotten the best supporting actor award. And losing best adapted screenplay to the terribly inaccurate a beautiful mind was worse, in my sore loser's opinion. The academy has got something against the fellowship.

Btw, imdb reports that Orlando Bloom, Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd weren't let in for the awards, citing a "lack of space". Go look at it.
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)
athelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 06:02 AM   #318
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I think they said to themselves:
~LOTR has 2 more to go and 13 nominations. Let's give it to the others who have been nominated many times already and hadn't won. It's only fair.
~The people watching us, especially the LOTR fans, won't be too angry with us because there are more chances to win next year and the year after that.
~Is Mr Nash coming over?
~Mr Ian said he felt like a newcomer being invited to the club; he's such a good sport. I can vote for someone else I feel guilty for not voting for before.

Basically a PC awards...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 09:38 AM   #319
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Too bad they lost Best Picture. Wouldn't it have been great if they won three years in a row?
Rosie
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 11:39 AM   #320
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

When I saw that BM won best adapted screenplay, I shut the damn thing off. The fix is in.

Fear Complacency!