Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #301
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
I ran across this article, a first person account of a woman who had an abortion. For those who haven't heard such an account, maybe it'll help you know that "choice" isn't always about selfishness.

http://www.marieclaire.com/world/new...on=art&mag=mar
Maybe I'll write something someday about my "first person account" - I found out by ultrasound that my baby had severe birth defects, yet I chose to keep him, although I was offered abortion, and although there is pain and sorrow, often quite a bit, the joy far outweighs it, and I can't count the number of people who have been blessed by my son and have told us so. I think those stories should be out there, too - I wonder if the magazine would accept my story?

I wonder what percentage of babies are aborted because of birth defects. I imagine it's pretty small.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:04 AM   #302
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an View Post
I wonder what percentage of babies are aborted because of birth defects. I imagine it's pretty small.
I don't know about induced abortions, but it's the no. 1 cause of spontaneous abortions.

edit: Though "birth defects" can't rightly be called so unless the child is actually born
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 10-15-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:07 AM   #303
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes - but no one has ethical problems with spontaneous abortions

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #304
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
No - in my mind it does not have to. If you read above, this was partially in response to some writing so much about a 'two-celled organism' or however they termed it.

I have to admit that I have a hard time understanding how some people can be alright with abortion once a baby DOES "look like a person" though.
That’s fine but I would be awful careful in using any kind of biological or developmental argument in regards to abortion because there will ALWAYS be a point in development where they don’t look like a person and they don’t even have a nervous system or brain. And are you then implying its ok? Sounds like you aren’t. So it doesn’t matter if they are developed or not. It doesn’t matter if they have no consciousness or ability to feel pain or not. Its all about their potential to become something that does apparently. And as long as you are consistent with the idea of killing anyone… no matter how developed or undeveloped… using this very same reasoning then you are being consistent and that’s fine in my book.

The problem is theres way too many pro lifers who are inconsistent about killing. And are hypocritical about defending the rights of the unborn while doing little or nothing about the situation of the potential mother. They protest then go home and carry on with their lives then get upset when teenagers see no alternative to abortion. And of course too many pro lifers choose to use a developmental argument when in their heart that has nothing to do with why they believe the way they believe.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 PM   #305
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I don't see that it's a problem for me to have more than one thing (for instance, an idea based on a belief system, and a judgment made by observation) that aid me in forming an opinion. Nor should it be a problem if while the aspect that means the most to me might be what comes from my belief system, that I choose to make some arguments based instead on observation.

Not all would agree with my belief that human life begins at conception. However - when someone looks at the progression of fetal development, most will settle on a point when they have to admit (if only inwardly) that - yes, that indeed looks like a person - and we probably shouldn't be killing them.

Some may settle on 13 weeks, some 10 weeks, some 6 weeks. But in each case, if they've moved off of believing in abortion at any time in the course of a pregnancy, they have moved in the right direction and exercised sound judgment and proper reason. They're making themselves more informed and basing a changed decision on having gathered additional, factual information.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #306
inked
Elf Lord

IR,
"The problem is theres way too many pro lifers who are inconsistent about killing. And are hypocritical about defending the rights of the unborn while doing little or nothing about the situation of the potential mother. They protest then go home and carry on with their lives then get upset when teenagers see no alternative to abortion. And of course too many pro lifers choose to use a developmental argument when in their heart that has nothing to do with why they believe the way they believe."

Check into your yellow pages under ABORTION ALTERNATIVES and you might be surprised at what is being done for the mothers and their in utero and ex utero infants.

What do you mean "inconsistent about killing"?

There are a number of arguments against abortion, are you saying that no pro-lifer can use any of them except "It's wrong because I say it is wrong"? I am not quite following you here.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #307
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
I don't see that it's a problem for me to have more than one thing (for instance, an idea based on a belief system, and a judgment made by observation) that aid me in forming an opinion. Nor should it be a problem if while the aspect that means the most to me might be what comes from my belief system, that I choose to make some arguments based instead on observation.
Because one argument trumps the other. The danger (from YOUR point of view) of insisting on using the developmental argument is that you are conceding that there IS a point where its ok to abort. Right? But then you don’t believe that yourself which makes the argument disingenuous. You cant really make the argument its ALWAYS wrong to abort (based on the sanctity of life) but oh my gosh its even more always wrong to abort if the fetus looks like a little person!! To me this is simply a propaganda argument which I have always found deceitful. You speak to what you think would have more of an appeal rather then simply speaking from your heart.

Quote:
Some may settle on 13 weeks, some 10 weeks, some 6 weeks. But in each case, if they've moved off of believing in abortion at any time in the course of a pregnancy, they have moved in the right direction and exercised sound judgment and proper reason. They're making themselves more informed and basing a changed decision on having gathered additional, factual information.
Not factual information. “looks like a person” is strictly emotional information. It tells us nothing about what is really going on in the fetus itself. So we don’t know with absolute certainty if they are conscious. If they have any level of sentience. If they feel pain just because they “look like a person”. It tells us nothing about when vital networks develop. Just what they look like. If anything it’s a trick used to influence rather than honest information for them to take as they see fit.

If I said we need to allow abortions because I believe a womans right to choose trumps all other factors and Oh! Yeah! The baby doesn’t have a spinal chord yet either! I would be just as disingenuous in my argument (although I don’t think the emotional appeal would be as strong as “looks like a person”).

Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #308
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
Check into your yellow pages under ABORTION ALTERNATIVES and you might be surprised at what is being done for the mothers and their in utero and ex utero infants.
But this is a drop in the bucket compared to the total number of pro-lifers who do nothing but argue against abortion. MOST pro-lifers do NOT want any part of paying more taxes for teen moms in need or child welfare services. They fight that with the same mouths which they rant against abortion with. Some even oppose teaching sex education in schools. That’s hypocritical to me. And most don’t really involve themselves in actively doing something to provide an alternative to abortion. A few good ones do but we both know that most do not. They just figure they’ve done their part by voting for a republican and hoping they’ll put a conservative judge on the bench.

Quote:
What do you mean "inconsistent about killing"?
Here I am referring to the idea of saying we shouldn’t abort a life because no matter how undeveloped it is, it still has the potential to become something significant and its not my place to take a human life that has been created by god. And yet thinking capital punishment is perfectly ok and justified and seeing no double standard in that at all.

Quote:
There are a number of arguments against abortion, are you saying that no pro-lifer can use any of them except "It's wrong because I say it is wrong"? I am not quite following you here.
Im saying the developmental argument is inherently flawed and if I was pro life I would never use it because if you aren’t careful you can use it to justify abortion. So stick to your true beliefs rather than giving pro choicers an opening to say Ok then HERE is where we can abort. Either abortion is wrong under ALL circumstances because of your belief system or we sit down and hash out when its ok…

Old 10-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #309
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

So IR, what is your stance?

Are you for abortion on the grounds that it is a right of a woman to choose?

Or do you believe that after a period in the developmental stage that abortion is not permissible?

Or do you support abortion only during extreme circumstances like rape?
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #310
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex View Post
Here I am referring to the idea of saying we shouldn’t abort a life because no matter how undeveloped it is, it still has the potential to become something significant and its not my place to take a human life that has been created by god. And yet thinking capital punishment is perfectly ok and justified and seeing no double standard in that at all.
You're missing several huge differences between capital punishment and abortion - capital punishment comes about because of a choice that the person made that is so horrific that society thinks it is deserving of death, for whatever underlying reason they think is appropriate. And it is a decision arrived at via due process and consideration from members of society.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #311
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
So IR, what is your stance?

Are you for abortion on the grounds that it is a right of a woman to choose?

Or do you believe that after a period in the developmental stage that abortion is not permissible?

Or do you support abortion only during extreme circumstances like rape?
I think abortion is a necessary evil in an imperfect world. I have no problem with universally designating what is essentially an arbitrary cut off date (start of third trimester?) based on the best scientific knowledge we have in regards to the fetus. Which means I dont have a problem restricting late abortions except in the case of rape or danger to the mother. In the end its a tragedy but sometimes there is no better alternative.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #312
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
You're missing several huge differences between capital punishment and abortion - capital punishment comes about because of a choice that the person made that is so horrific that society thinks it is deserving of death, for whatever underlying reason they think is appropriate. And it is a decision arrived at via due process and consideration from members of society.
But it shouldn’t matter that they made a choice or not. The logic of POTENTIAL still applies to the adult who has committed a crime. They still have the potential for greatness. For something positive in gods plan do they not? So why the inconsistency with killing them despite this? We both know there have been many death row inmates who have genuinely found god (yes there have been many who have simply faked it but statistically there will have been many who DID find god and according to Christian doctrine redeemed themselves in gods eyes by being born again or at least genuinely changing their point of view). So why kill them? Why risk it and kill any of them… Sound familiar?

Meanwhile we can say that its much more likely that forcing an impoverished 13 year old to bring a child in the world who is in no position to do so will lead to a life of hardship for the child. Yes there is that potential they will defy the odds but most wont. And in these cases something as sad as abortion may be the least worse alternative. So to ban one side from aborting a fetus by citing potential and allowing another side to take a life despite potential seems like a double standard to me. Consistency would be life for both. In the case of the prisoner it would be life in prison but life. Not death…

Old 10-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #313
Rían

I think the choice aspect DOES matter. I think that part of the objection against abortion includes the fact that the baby has done nothing wrong - it is an innocent at this point in time, and our society goes with "live and let live" unless the person has CHOSEN to do something so awful that society needs to apply a consequence.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #314
katya
Elven Maiden

I think the choice aspect does matter too. It's possible to say killing is ok in some circumstances and not in others. I, however, think abortion might be one of those times when it's ok (if not ok then the lesser of two evils), and capital punishment is not. If you think about that in terms of innocence only then it seems backwards, but not if you think about it in terms of how much harm will come out of it. Death row inmates have a developed sense of self, people who care about them, and I don't think anyone has the right to judge whether someone is evil or deserves to die. (I don't think aborted fetuses "deserve" to die either, but I think children "deserve" the best upbringing possible by parents who love and want them, and that women "deserve" to be able to make choices about their lives.)
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #315
Coffeehouse

Quote:
I think abortion is a necessary evil in an imperfect world. I have no problem with universally designating what is essentially an arbitrary cut off date (start of third trimester?) based on the best scientific knowledge we have in regards to the fetus.
That's a pragmatic view, and I agree with it, in an imperfect world.

Quote:
Consistency would be life for both. In the case of the prisoner it would be life in prison but life. Not death…
Exactly. Anyways, the notion that the state somehow has the right to hand out death sentences to citizens that have been arrested, found guilty and any case will spend a life behind bars, is simply wrong. This isn't killing in self-defence, it's lowering oneself to the standard of the perpetrator.

Although I think modern medicine should be a guideline as to when it is inadvisable to perform an abortion, the one consistent way to be pro-abortion is to hand the right to choose to the woman. It's her choice and no one but her has final say. If you don't pursue that line of reasoning you thread into a relativist ground which tears to shreds the notion of absolute sovereignty over one's own body, with inherent rights. That's my take on it. You have to be consistent and say no, that line you can't cross, you can't decide for a woman. It's her call.
I understand the strongest argument from the pro-lifers, that you are taking life. But listen, although it is a life, it is a life inside another life. It isn't independent. It's part of the sovereign body of another life, which you can't violate. It's unfair, but it's necessary.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #316
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
our society goes with "live and let live" unless the person has CHOSEN to do something so awful that society needs to apply a consequence.
Well, actually, I don't see that. There's no "live and let live" aspect in rounding kids up and giving them to the state 5 days a week, is there? Or in taxing everyone (even people who chose not to have kids) to pay for it? Or in having the state determine who is family and who is not? Our society decides that certain "consequences need to be applied" for all kinds of things that aren't by anyone's standard "so awful".

In fact, it seems to me, that the anti-choice folks would like to apply consequences to the behavior of 'having sex when you aren't completely sure you want to have a baby right now', which is, truly, not so awful.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #317
Rían

Quote:
Well, actually, I don't see that. ...
That "awful" comment was in reference to the death penalty.

But anyway, I'd say that we certainly have a live-and-let-live policy overall.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #318
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
But anyway, I'd say that we certainly have a live-and-let-live policy overall.
But, see, that's where I disagree. Look at zoning laws. Why should I have to pay a fee to the government to build a house that they approve? Why can't I live in a teepee, if I want to? If I'm a certain age, I have to attend school. When does the 'live and let live" part show up, there? In many schools, I even have to wear a uniform. I can't be naked in my yard. I can't have 3 husbands and 2 wives. I can't withhold my taxes. I can't drive a child without an approved carseat, but the school district can. I can't ride a motercycle without a helmet...Every day, my 'live and let live" is constrained at all points by the government, as the voice of society.

Where does the 'live and let live" aspect begin?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #319
Coffeehouse

Quote:
But, see, that's where I disagree. Look at zoning laws. Why should I have to pay a fee to the government to build a house that they approve? Why can't I live in a teepee, if I want to? If I'm a certain age, I have to attend school. When does the 'live and let live" part show up, there? In many schools, I even have to wear a uniform. I can't be naked in my yard. I can't have 3 husbands and 2 wives. I can't withhold my taxes. I can't drive a child without an approved carseat, but the school district can. I can't ride a motercycle without a helmet...Every day, my 'live and let live" is constrained at all points by the government, as the voice of society.

Where does the 'live and let live" aspect begin?
Yep, it's the cost of living in our society, for the better or worse! But you also have the freedom
to go out into some civilization-forsaken forest and live some utopic dream in nudity and taxlessness. It comes at a cost of course, but it's fully possible (though maybe not in your own state, but at least in some part of the country!), but it ain't easy.

To be frank I'm not too sure what is meant by "live and let live" in relation to abortion (English-not-being-my-mother-tongue-reality shoots in!). Anyone care to enlighten me?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #320
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
I think the choice aspect DOES matter. I think that part of the objection against abortion includes the fact that the baby has done nothing wrong - it is an innocent at this point in time, and our society goes with "live and let live" unless the person has CHOSEN to do something so awful that society needs to apply a consequence.
So are you truly genuinely ok with killing someone who you KNOW (assuming you have the ability to know for sure) has been fundamentally changed by finding god (becoming born again, however you want to put it) because they shot a liquor store clerk back in 1978 during a robbery when they were 19 years old? What if this person has actually done real good for others since his conversion? Are you really fine with killing him despite the fact that he seems to have begun to finally realize his god given potential? Can you REALLY justify to yourself the notion that yes he is a good man now because of redemption he found after commiting the sins he did and he is doing good for his fellow man now but we need to kill him anyway.

I wonder if a god would really have in mind the death of one man and the imprisonment of his killer which then leads to the killers redemption and living a life of good works only to have him killed as he is finally fulfilling his potential. That doesn’t make sense to me under any kind of religious logic Im aware of.

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 10-17-2008 at 01:26 PM.