Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 03:03 PM   #301
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well, we don't need to be heavily involved rpg-wise in all the classes ... like who's into jewellery? (just kidding willow! ) ...actually i am sure if your history is known there will be some banging down the doors to take it!

i think an actual rpg timetable would be an incredibly bad idea in terms of posting flow ... and though the uni is great, it is but a meeting point and way into tharbad for various characters ... i feel we should also develop the city as a whole too, as well as the uni part of our rpg.

best BB

EDIT **
Quote:
Ooo... chocolate! Pity Earniel can't get on till late today. *saves her a piece*
heh! that's for lotesse... whether she's just busy... or in the moot slammer!

and watch out for the sonic screwdriver and the kilt, the big red beard and the sporron etc...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-11-2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:11 PM   #302
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Oran
I'm attempting to untangle just who's taking which classes, methinks our professors will be taking on a greater teaching load than we thought, seeing as I've counted 13 classes so far...
WO, if you have counted the classes, please post the list here. then each can verify.
I remember only

Bridge Building & Ship Building both taught by the Chancellor
Siege Tactics by Maethor
Swan Speech & Oriental Languages by Galadannun
Embalming and Jewel Making by Mahtaliel
Commerce by Bumbledore
Swamp Ecology by ???

Is that all? Must be more, if you counted 13!
Old 10-11-2005, 03:19 PM   #303
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

wine tasting?
wine appreciation

just the 2 i remembered off the top of my head!

... can't think why?

best BB
Old 10-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #304
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
wine tasting?
wine appreciation

just the 2 i remembered off the top of my head!

... can't think why?

best BB
Why, indeed?
Who will teach that? Bumbledore?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:35 PM   #305
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

According to the registration scenes the classes, and those taking them are these:

Taught by the Chancellor-
Bridge Building: Penny, Val
Ship Building: Ray, Val

Taught by Bumbledore-
Commerce: Val, Marty, Ray, Earniel, Annawen, Lily, 6 other unspecified girls

Taught by Mahtaliel-
Jewelry-Making: Viv, Ray
Embalming: Val, Aiwendis

Taught by Khamul-
Swan Speech: Earniel

Taught by Udu:
Siege Tactics: Marty, Ray, Penny

Here are the classes that had no professor specified but that our student character registered for, I've tried to group them together into similar subject matters with possible professors to teach them in italics.

Mahtaliel
Sword Smithing: Marty, Ray
Art History/Art Theory: Viv
Chancellor
Structural Engineering: Viv
Defensive Building: Marty
Bumbledore
Western Philosophy: Viv
Udu
Military History of Middle Earth: Viv
Wine Tasting: Lily, Viv, Val
Khamul
Swamp Ecology: Earniel
Irrigation: Earniel

Thoughts? Verifications? Amnesiac denials?
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 10-11-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:36 PM   #306
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Why, indeed?
Who will teach that? Bumbledore?
nay, ideally it should be lotesse ... she knows more on wine than me! ... maybe she could take on a professor?

heh like it Rian ... so we have Rian and khamul ne Galadanun about to kick off, khamul and udu... and willow's "amiabale" professor with the both, maybe ...

plus there's the elf angle with earnial, rian and the eleven professor too!

all watched by a multitude of various characters, downing wine like there's no tommorow.

good stuff.

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-11-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:40 PM   #307
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

If Rian does indeed get 'sacked' Mahtaliel is hiring her as a teaching assistant. Offering anyway. After all her department is understaffed, and the look on Khamul's face would be most satisfying.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #308
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

mmmm ... competition heh?

i'd already offered Head (head, mind you!) of the Commerce department ...

still if she wanted to she could do both ...

even more a look on khamul's face!

EDIT
Willow:
Quote:
Thoughts? Verifications? Amnesiac denials?

... sorry i forgot the Amnesiac denial.

suppose old bumble could do history of western philosophy.

Udu's a good call for wine tasting, if Lotesse don't want it.

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-11-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #309
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hm, I realise Eärniel is taken rather un-obvious classes (basically I had hoped perhaps other players would have signed up for them as well but that's my own mistake) but I don't think it is a good idea role-play-wise to let Khamul be teaching her all three.

Perhaps it is more preferable that I make up a professor to teach her Swamp Ecology and Irrigation. Surely a university the size of the Tharbad University has more than 4 or 5 professors. Or since no other student is following them we can let these classes simply go unmentioned except in some small references to them that I can work into my posts. The main focus in the RPG will be on the popular courses with more than one student anyway.

Before I forget: splendid idea to let us learn some more of the motives of the Chancellor and neatly tied to Willow's character as well!
Old 10-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #310
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

that's easy Earniel ... just have tessar teach em' ...

edit:
what's the feeling though ref the rpg? ; though the uni is one large central plank ... we will not be truly sea worthy without the larger tharbad city playing a part ... what say you all?

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-11-2005 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:04 PM   #311
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Udu is a very good candidature for Wine Tasting Prof! No one can appreciate Wine as well as we, nazgul, with our keen senses of smell and taste!

Lotesse can't be a Prof, I believe, as she is playing a human baby girl of 25. It doesn't fit! Neither will Aiwendis or Lilly teach anything.

I have come up with a following list, based on that of Willow with addittions.
What I do remember well, is that Val is taking Bridge and Ship building, Embalming, Wine-tasting and Commerce. Normally Marty and Ray should take the same, but that is up to Shah

Taught by the Chancellor (poor man!)-

Bridge Building: Val, Penny
Ship Building: Val, Ray
Structural Engineering: Viv
Defensive Building: Marty

Taught by Bumbledore (I don't think the poor guy can take more than that!)

Commerce: Val, Marty, Ray, Earniel, Annawen, Lily, MM's and 5 other girls

Taught by Mahtaliel (poor understaffed Lady!)

Jewelry-Making: Viv, Ray, Aiwendis
Embalming: Val, Aiwendis
Sword Smithing: Marty, Ray
Art History/Art Theory: Viv

Taught by Khamul-
Swan Speech: Earniel
Oriental Languages:

Taught by Udu:
Siege Tactics: Marty, Ray, Penny

Taught by ???(Udu??)
Wine Tasting & Wine Appreciation: Val, Marty, Ray, Lilly

Taught by???
Western Philosophy: Viv
Military History of Middle Earth: Viv

Taught by ???
Swamp Ecology: Earniel
Irrigation: Earniel

So basically we need a history - military History- Western Philosophy Prof
and a biologist-ecologist type Prof.

I think in the light of the latest developments, the Chancellor will surely send Aiwendis study Jewel-making.

Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #312
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

great post, Earniel! That was a wonderful "save" of her friend. Thanks - I was hoping for something like that!

Unless you guys have objections, I think rpg-Rian is done with working for now, and would like to take a few courses. My whole idea with her was that she never HAD to work at all, but would just do it when the be-with-humans fit came upon her. It was kind of a "safe" way to be around them and observe them, but not have to interact much with them.

Thanks for the offer, Willow - if I could be an assistant as a kind of "favor" thing, that would probably work out (I know some interesting styles from Gondolin, etc.) - would that work with your character? I'm not sure, though - she might want to not be "hired" for awhile ... gotta think some more. Ideas welcomed!!!

And she definitely wants to take Commerce!! And swan-speech - being of the house of the Swan, maybe she should assist Prof. Khamul ...

Chancellor, it might be interesting to have an elf of Rian's background in your uni - and a half-elven at that! Might be some good pickins' in her head ... What do you think?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-11-2005 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #313
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well i meant real life lotesse, not her character(s)! i.e. she could have a new character if she wanted to ... she'd be excellent at it ...see the wine thread.

though udu would be good too.

yeah old bumble don't want to teach too much ... and needs an assistant anyway.

though western philosophy would be good ... especailly as he can forget occasionally which course he is currently teaching ... sometimes half way through a seminar or lecture!

he could discuss up in his rooms over mucho wine with udu western and eastern philosophy ... maybe get em' mixed up a bit ... but knowing philsosphy that's what it's all about anyhow... even some of the modern day Arnorian commerce is plagued by modern day third age mumbo jumbo concepts! ... could be a good fusion.

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-11-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:16 PM   #314
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Rian:
Quote:
And she definitely wants to take Commerce!! And swan-speech - being of the house of the Swan, maybe she should assist Prof. Khamul ...
inspired! yes, that's just gotta happen ... after the contretemps with Khamul ... a student that may well know more swan and vcertainly ancient swan than the professor!

excellent Rian

yeah, nice post earniel.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #315
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

yeah, that would bug Khamul to death! (undeath?)

Thanks, BB

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #316
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Hm, I realise Eärniel is taken rather un-obvious classes (basically I had hoped perhaps other players would have signed up for them as well but that's my own mistake) but I don't think it is a good idea role-play-wise to let Khamul be teaching her all three.

Perhaps it is more preferable that I make up a professor to teach her Swamp Ecology and Irrigation. Surely a university the size of the Tharbad University has more than 4 or 5 professors. Or since no other student is following them we can let these classes simply go unmentioned except in some small references to them that I can work into my posts. The main focus in the RPG will be on the popular courses with more than one student anyway.
Yes, I think we can let Swamp Ecology class slip into the quiet backwaters, or none of us will ever get anything done in RL!! I think we have enough classes to keep us busy.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #317
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
what's the feeling though ref the rpg? ; though the uni is one large central plank ... we will not be truly sea worthy without the larger tharbad city playing a part ... what say you all?
No the Uni is not a park, all those green squares and rectangles on the map are buildings!

But YES, of course, the large Tharbad city should play a part. My! There is not a single tavern in the Uni! (I don't even mention other interesting places to visit!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian
Chancellor, it might be interesting to have an elf of Rian's background in your uni - and a half-elven at that! Might be some good pickins' in her head ... What do you think?
Sorry to disappiont you, Rian, but what is there for the Chancellor to pick? I am afraid Ciryatan, while he was still a Prince of Numenor, had his fill of Gondolin History! No, he is only interested in the secrets of the Rings of Power made by Mirdain in Eregion, so it is Mahtaliel, not you, who is interesting for him.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #318
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
well i meant real life lotesse, not her character(s)! i.e. she could have a new character if she wanted to ... she'd be excellent at it ...see the wine thread.
Of course, I simply misunderstood. Sure, another character by Lotesse will be GREAT!

Quote:
yeah old bumble don't want to teach too much ... and needs an assistant anyway.

though western philosophy would be good ... especailly as he can forget occasionally which course he is currently teaching ... sometimes half way through a seminar or lecture!

he could discuss up in his rooms over mucho wine with udu western and eastern philosophy ... maybe get em' mixed up a bit ... but knowing philsosphy that's what it's all about anyhow... even some of the modern day Arnorian commerce is plagued by modern day third age mumbo jumbo concepts! ... could be a good fusion.
Then take the Philosophy for Bumble!
Old 10-11-2005, 04:27 PM   #319
Rían

ok, I can see that, Gordis.

I'd really like for Rian to attend the uni, though - will that be ok? Any ideas how to work her in? I'd like to take Swan, Jewelry, and of course Commerce! The fact that Earniel speaks of her highly would help, I imagine, and also the uni must have some sort of diversity plan, right? Elves of her type that want to attend U of T are pretty rare!

Last edited by Rían : 10-11-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #320
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
yeah, that would bug Khamul to death! (undeath?)

Thanks, BB
Uhm, when somebody bugs our Lord Khamul to undeath, that person's lifespan tends to become miserably short!
Closed Thread