Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-20-2002, 12:38 AM   #301
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Are you sure that linda is Beautiful in Quenyan? Cause that's what it is in Portuguese, and since Tolkien's languages are based on Welsh and Finnish, I would be surprised if it means the same thing.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:59 PM   #302
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Some names I would use like Sam as it's quite normal and Elenor!
I would feel sorry for a kid if the were called Galadriel or Aragorn or something! As they may get bullied for it and would make life hard for them! that's just what I think anyway!
Some names could be used for pets!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 04:45 PM   #303
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Are you sure that linda is Beautiful in Quenyan? Cause that's what it is in Portuguese, and since Tolkien's languages are based on Welsh and Finnish, I would be surprised if it means the same thing.
Tolkien was also influenced by Spanish, a language which he loved and it is very close to Portuguese. It means the same thing in Spanish.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:47 PM   #304
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
When I grow up, and IF I have kids, I woulld want to name my daughter, Artuile, (early morning)or posibly Sirannon. (the gate stream of Moria, dammed to make a lake housing the Watcher of the Waters.)I also love Morrannon.(The mountain pass of Mordor, North i think) i always wanted to have an LOTR name, and I'll bribe my husband or something to name my girls. (If I have kids) I would like to name a boy Treebeard (just kidding, that's the name of my tree) And I named / call my flute, Isilcala (moonlight) My friends think I'm crazy to name my flute, but I don't tell them that I also named my snowboard
Ask me anything
"I have not failed, I've only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
"Yay, I can hear the voices in my head again!
Dolenloteiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 10:37 PM   #305
azalea
Long lost mooter

So when you pronounce those girl's names, will you trill the "r"s?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 02:02 AM   #306
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I didn't know you could pronounce "manes", azalea.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:23 AM   #307
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

if i ever have a son, i will name him after one of the sons of feanor. since i will never have a son, he will be spared this torture. same goes for daughters. except i wouldn't name them after the sons of feanor. er. i think i need to go to bed. i wonder if this is spam...*sigh*

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 04:04 PM   #308
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I didn't know you could pronounce "manes", azalea.
I changed it, so now your post makes no sense!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 04:56 PM   #309
Mistabella
Hobbit

I'd definitely consider LOTR names for my kids if I had any (extremely doubtful--I'm gonna be a fantasy writer), but I have another idea. I might give my kids names with very subtle references to Middle--Earth based on meaning, such as Silvia (woods--Mirkwood), Fiana (white or fair--Arwen), Ella (Elf), Faye(same) or Meadowlark (a boy's name--the thrush). I could give them LOTR nicknames like Galadriel, Pippin, Arwen, Merry, or whatever. Good idea or not?
Old 12-22-2002, 06:21 AM   #310
Curunír
Enting

If I have a son, I shall call him Frodo. A daughter shall I call Yavanna. Also Faramir for a boy is nice. Or for a second name "Rohirrim" is
ulle frulle kulle a cup of milk huy!
Curunír is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 07:23 AM   #311
-elfearz-
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mistabella
I'd definitely consider LOTR names for my kids if I had any (extremely doubtful--I'm gonna be a fantasy writer), but I have another idea. I might give my kids names with very subtle references to Middle--Earth based on meaning, such as Silvia (woods--Mirkwood), Fiana (white or fair--Arwen), Ella (Elf), Faye(same) or Meadowlark (a boy's name--the thrush). I could give them LOTR nicknames like Galadriel, Pippin, Arwen, Merry, or whatever. Good idea or not?
good idea. but if i were you, i'd save my son years of teenage trauma by controlling any urges to name him Meadowlark
-elfearz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 06:23 PM   #312
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

At the website www.waitingforfrodo.com sam's girlfiend's name is Gladerial. Okay so comic strips aren't real, but it's the thought that counts, right?

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 04:42 PM   #313
diannah
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee

I personally wouldn't mind having a name like Galadriel. That's just me. It's kind of obvious, so I wouldn't lay that on a kid who might hate the Lord of the Rings and be embaressed by it. But also, I think the names Meriadoc and Peregrin have a nice ring to them. Also Samwise would be good too. Anyone who didn't know a lot about the LOTR would just find those names unusual and people who did know what you were talking about and like LOTR wouldn't make fun of you about it. They'd probably be jealous
diannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 05:06 PM   #314
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Yeah, I have a friend whose middle name is Galadriel and her sister's name is Arwen. Her mother's high school tutor's English teacher was JRRT himself, and she actually got to meet him! You bet I'm jealous.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 11:53 PM   #315
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

What?!? She met the Professor himself! And I didn't get to?!? It's not fair.... Not fair, not fair... Oh well, hopefully I'll meet him on the other side...

*wanders off planning ways to shorten lifespan*

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 11:57 PM   #316
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Six degrees of separation, my friend...you now have..let's see, four degrees to the Prof himself, as opposed to most people, who have at least six, usually more. Be happy!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 08:26 PM   #317
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
I knew a girl named Lorian, which sounds just like Lorien, and nobody made fun of her. Probably because she was really hot. I'll nick-name my son Elendil, if he doesn't mind, and maybe he'll nickname his sons Anarion and Isildur. But real names are already picked out for sons. Daughter names we're stuck on still, maybe there are some good 'uns that aren't too bizzarre, except it would be a tough sell for my wife. I'll have to read this entire 16 page post some other time when I'm not sleep deprived, and see if anyone came up with some half-decent suggestions for girls. I like Morwen, now that I think of it. Wasn't that Hurin's mom, or something? I can't remember. I'm dying at the moment.

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 08:59 AM   #318
diannah
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee

I was thinking about that and Moria for a girl isn't that bad if other people didn't know that it was a dwarf mine. Also, I'm thinking Samwise would sound nice for the oldest boy in your family. Don't ask me why.
diannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:13 PM   #319
Adrian Baggins
Frodo's lil sis HP LotR fan

If I have kids I am definately going to use lotr names because am planning on marring a lotr freak like me. I will name my oldest boy Frodo if I have a boy and my first girl will be named Adrian after my made up character who is Frodo's sis. My boys if I have more then 1 will then go in decinding order by the ages of the hobbits which was:
1:Frodo
2:Samwise "Sam"
3:Meriadoc "Merry"
4:Perigrin "Pippin"
Owner of the 3 unknown rings

I LIKE HIEI!! LOOK AT MY AVITAR IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO THAT IS!!

H. Hysterically cold
I. Insanely unhuman
E. Effortlessly mocking
I. Irresistabely hott

"You're a team player, a save-the-day superhero *pause* I hate people like you." ~Hiei
Adrian Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:17 PM   #320
Elf Girl
Lurker

I might name a girl Tara, which is Elvish for something or other but is also a name.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote