Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-24-2005, 08:11 PM   #301
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

One recent development from the new book that strikes me is side-by-side apparition. It makes sense, but why haven't we seen it before now? Why didn't everyone pair up with someone who could apparate and travel to the Quidditch World Cup in Goblet of Fire like that, instead of by portkey? Why didn't Harry side-by-side apparate with Mr. Weasley the day of his hearing in Order of the Phoenix*? Just some thoughts I've had.

*Actually, I can answer that one. They had to go to the Ministry of Magic the Muggle way so that later in the story, Harry and Co. (who had no access to floo powder and none of whom could apparate) would know how to enter on their own to set up the final showdown. In my opinion, that's why JK Rowling did it that way.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #302
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Maybe it's hard so only powerful wizards like Dumbledore can do it. (I don't remember, was he the only one who did it in the sixth book?) Probably Percy and maybe not Bill and Charlie couldn't do it.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:51 AM   #303
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan
Maybe it's hard so only powerful wizards like Dumbledore can do it. (I don't remember, was he the only one who did it in the sixth book?) Probably Percy and maybe not Bill and Charlie couldn't do it.
But the coming back apparation was made by Harry, not by DD...

I think that it may be forbidden by the Ministry to do it with young wizards, but DD might have decided that this time it was worth breaking that rule.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:19 AM   #304
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

That sounds reasonable to me.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:47 PM   #305
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle
But the coming back apparation was made by Harry, not by DD...
Oh yeah...

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:39 PM   #306
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle
I think that it may be forbidden by the Ministry to do it with young wizards, but DD might have decided that this time it was worth breaking that rule.
That makes sense.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:29 AM   #307
Lord Choc Obo
Elven Warrior

I'm still not sure what to think of Snape, I'm still confused about him
Lord Choc Obo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:35 AM   #308
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I was up until the end of the book and then I simply couldn't be 'on his side' anymore.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #309
Lord Choc Obo
Elven Warrior

well yeah, but still he seems not to want to hurt harry or even capture him, how easy musn't it have been to just petrify him when he was lying on the ground and then take his body along to voldy?

you could even say he stopped giving harry occlumency to help him against voldy, remember ron saying that maybe snape was opening up harry's mind for voldy? it might be that snape was just doing his best to find a way to get harry out of these classes with a good reason for voldy, and what better then a big argument and knowing that harry wouldn't apoligize??

I still hope he'll be a little friendly at the end,
even though I can never forgive him for doing the AK on big D
Old 08-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #310
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hmm, time to check out the library - there might be some copies around by now...

I'm thinking Snape is on the good side, but it's starting to bug me a bit that there's so much "stacked up" against him, and then so many indicators that he is really good - I feel like I'm being unfairly/artificially (instead of naturally) set-up a bit, which I don't like.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:23 AM   #311
Lord Choc Obo
Elven Warrior

yeah snape is just too much jumping from one side to another in my mind, and I don't like it anymore, it gets annoying because anyway he'll turn, It'll be totally unexpected and thus totally wrong, because we would've expected it to turn the other way around...but maybe that will be the fun part in it, like Darth Vader turning against his master
Old 08-30-2005, 08:13 PM   #312
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

if no one else has thought of it, or remembered to post it, i think its a bit obvious that snape will end up turning on Voldemort and either fighting and losing[death] or gaining time for harry to escape[death] or getting in the way of a spell for harry[death], so yes, i think rowling is going to kill off my remaining favorite chartacter, besides lupin and moody
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:47 AM   #313
Lord Choc Obo
Elven Warrior

he's a git as Ron always likes to say, and I agree, let him die, we'll just see, maybe he once made an unbreakable vow to Harry's parents to protect harry at all cost, and so he chooses to die at Voldemorts hands rather then being killed by the vow while just standing by, just a thought ;-)
Old 09-08-2005, 03:55 AM   #314
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

My theory on Snape and Dumbledore

Here's my theory:

All the scenes with DD in book 6, sounded a little strange (you could even say out of character) to me. DD keeps telling Harry about his own wonderful powers and what a great wizard he (DD) is. It's just not like DD to brag.
Plus, at the end, DD pleads to Snape; I don't know about you guys, but that doesn't sound like DD at all to me.
So I'm thinking that Snape had to make the Vow in order to gain Bellatrix's trust and then went and told DD about it, so that they came up with a solution: planting a "fake" DD in Hogwarts. As to how this was done (and how the "fake" could help Harry the way he did), I think this will be revealed in the next book.
Who is the fake? IMO, it's Peter Pettigrew (Wormtail) for two reasons:

-He's the one who "pleads" a lot
-He has a prosthetic hand => DD has a dead-looking black hand that he won't tell Harry about...

So to sum up, Snape is still on the good side and DD is still alive!
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:21 AM   #315
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Wow, that is an excellent theory and has enough possibilites to be true. Hmmm, now it makes the wait (2yrs according to JR) even more interesting.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:16 PM   #316
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Wow, that is an excellent theory and has enough possibilites to be true. Hmmm, now it makes the wait (2yrs according to JR) even more interesting.
Ditto!!

It's not only a very factible theory, but also one I'd definitely like to see

I've been wondering these days what could be the thing that Wormtail would have to do because of the life-link he has with Harry. DD said that that was a very strong thing and it's sure it has to ve revealed to us in the 7th book.

It's curious, one friend of mine has been complaining about this book because he says he doesn't like this DD. He says he seems a very different character
Old 09-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #317
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I have to agree with Spock and Fat Middle. Very good theory, and I really felt glad when reading it DD still alive. And as Spock said, it doesn't have flaws as I see it.

2 years.. Wow. A long time. But, I would rather have a good book than something not-so-good, even if that means it comming earlier.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:19 PM   #318
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I've set the middle of October as the time to re-read the latest book as my plate is too full right now. Perhaps I'll understand more then.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:53 PM   #319
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I think I have to re-read it after all these theories have come up. But, like you Spock, I have a lot to read now, so it'll take some time.
Tell us what you think when you reread it
Old 09-08-2005, 07:08 PM   #320
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Middle
It's curious, one friend of mine has been complaining about this book because he says he doesn't like this DD. He says he seems a very different character
Interesting! So I'm not the only one...
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote