Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2003, 04:46 PM   #301
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by OrnelĂ*rĂ« MistĂ«
Not only is nr not a valid cluster, but I don't think th is either.
yes.. I forgot about 'th' not being a valid consonant cluster. Leave it to OrnelĂ*rĂ« to remember that.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:47 PM   #302
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Nán analassea vinyar queni nar sinómesse. Haryan estel tecuvante?

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
OrnelĂ­rĂ« MistĂ« is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:16 PM   #303
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Oh, by the way, nati means 'things'

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Old 06-18-2003, 05:19 PM   #304
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Nán analassea vinyar queni nar sinómesse. Haryan estel tecuvante?
I is most joyous (a) new person are in this place. I have hope they shall/will write.

Sanda. Ni yando.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:25 PM   #305
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Oh, by the way, nati means 'things'
Ah.. yes.. I see it in my wordlist now. I don't know why I missed it before. Thank you.
Edit: Mi ormĂ«, ni ĂşmĂ« cennĂ« i quetta 'nat' ar 'nati' ná limbĂ«. Ni cennĂ« sĂ*.

Ok, then you are saying that we need good things to write about. agreed

Last edited by Ruinel : 06-18-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:22 PM   #306
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Thanks! It was really beginning to bother me. So Linanrinthë isn't a real elven word? Typical. Sooo typical. It'd be just like her for making up a word and see me sweat on finding the translation. I don't think she had it from the Barrowdowns, she doesn't know that site yet. My guess is she probably mixed it together using the Silmarillion and liked the sound of the word. But she'll be hearing THAT tomorrow!
Old 06-18-2003, 06:41 PM   #307
Ruinel
Banned

Sanda, Eärniel, sanda. Uin lavë carirë tyalië et le.

Spoiler for Eärniel only
True, Eärniel, true. Do not allow her make sport out of you.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:21 AM   #308
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
yes.. I forgot about 'th' not being a valid consonant cluster. Leave it to OrnelĂ*rĂ« to remember that.
'Th' may be a valid cluster (though in Quenya it isn't really a cluster), depends on how much you like FĂ«anor
Old 06-19-2003, 10:45 AM   #309
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Sanda, meren tecel sĂ*men, TiucaĂ«ndĂ« (Fat Middle).
i can understand "merin" (i wish), "tecil" (you write) and "sĂ*men" (here). also "tiuca" (fat)

what's sanda? and what is -endë (the first diaeresis should drop out, i think)?

i'm not sure of "tecil". if you want to say "i want you to write here" you should use the infinitive of tec instead of aortist, and in that case it's be "tecital". right?
Old 06-19-2003, 01:38 PM   #310
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Sanda, Eärniel, sanda. Uin lavë carirë tyalië et le.
My conversation with my friend:

Me: I've found Linanrinthë.
Friend: *pouts* So soon?
Me: It's not even real elvish, now is it?
Friend: *grins* Had you big time, didn't I?
Me: So you admit! Why you little... *makes semi-serious attack on friend*
Friend: *dodges and laughs* I still can't believe you fell for it. I thought it was sooo obvious. What made you realise it?
Me: *grins* I happen to have my sources.

Last time I'm putting any faith in her elvish.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:03 PM   #311
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

If there are any Sindarin speaking entmooters out there (which I know there are), could you please tell me how you would say 'Bridgette' in Sindar?
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:21 AM   #312
Ă‘Ăłlendil
Elf Lord

According to my source, "Bridgette" or "Bridget" means "high goddess". I do not know how this is said in Sindarin, but I do know the name in Quenya. "High" is best translated "ara"="high, noble", and the nearest thing to goddesses in Tolkien's legendarium are the female Valar, the Valier, singular Valië. Therefore Bridgette= Aravalië in Quenya. A very beautiful name, pronounced air-ah-val-i-ay, with a trilled 'r'.

It is good to post again

Last edited by Ă‘Ăłlendil : 06-20-2003 at 12:22 AM.
Ă‘Ăłlendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:31 AM   #313
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I'm not sure, but I think it would be like Arabalan. Is there a feminine ending in Sindarin? I believe that the Sindarin for High would be "ar, ara, aran" and the Sindarin for Power or Vala be "Balan". Not sure about the Valar, though.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 02:51 AM   #314
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

In Sindarin it should indeed be 'balan', but 'balan' would be lenited when put into a combo, can't remember into what. It would be either 'valan' or 'mhalan' or something like that...

I'll be gone for some weeks now, by the way! Got to run...
Old 06-20-2003, 11:16 PM   #315
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel hey, I am a high goddess then.... :D

Thank you very much.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:20 PM   #316
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Aravalan. Possibly Arvalwen, or Arvalariel, or something similar, incorporating a feminine term, rather than solely the (unisexual?) "balan" root.

By the way, I'm Eruresto.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 09:13 AM   #317
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat middle
i can understand "merin" (i wish), "tecil" (you write) and "sĂ*men" (here). also "tiuca" (fat)

what's sanda? and what is -endë (the first diaeresis should drop out, i think)?

i'm not sure of "tecil". if you want to say "i want you to write here" you should use the infinitive of tec instead of aortist, and in that case it's be "tecital". right?
Sanda = true (we've been using it to agree with someone)
I didn't drop the diaeresis because I didn't know how much Quenya you knew and was trying to make it easier for you.
I'm not at home, I'm on vacation. I don't have my Quenya notes w/ me.

Eärniel: I'm glad we could help you. Come back anytime. You are always welcome.

Hmmmm... looks like Falagar and I will both be on vacation at the same time. I'm already on vacation now. I'll check the thread from time to time and access the word list if I have any time at all.
Namarië. (don't correct me! I'm not at my computer. )
Old 06-22-2003, 11:16 AM   #318
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Sweet, so many new people here since I was here last. A note on infinitives: I always thought A-stem verbs were not changed at all, and that basic verbs added e. What Fat Middle (?) said about the -ita ending is the extended infinitive. I believed it was used to say 'in order to ____'. It's also how you form gerunds, I think. But maybe what Fat Middle (?) said was right?

Naan laire-coasse. My modem is 56k here, I won't stop in as often. Also, July First I leave for camp, returning the 6th of August.

EDIT: On the Sindarin name, if you took ar and balan, balan would become valan, but I don't know if you only mutate words with prepositions and such.

Last edited by Ornelírë Mistë : 06-22-2003 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2003, 04:00 PM   #319
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Sweet, so many new people here since I was here last.
Agreed.
Quote:
A note on infinitives: I always thought A-stem verbs were not changed at all, and that basic verbs added e. What Fat Middle (?) said about the -ita ending is the extended infinitive. I believed it was used to say 'in order to ____'. It's also how you form gerunds, I think. But maybe what Fat Middle (?) said was right?
hmmmm... could we get a confirmation on this? You don't seem to be definite on it, and it would be good if we were sure.
Quote:
Also, July First I leave for camp, returning the 6th of August.
Oh. I'll be back from this vacation on July 1st. *sigh* Who will speak Quenya with me until you return?
Old 06-22-2003, 10:42 PM   #320
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Qoting Ardalambion:
The extended infinitive may also function as a gerund, that is, a verbal noun the English equivalent of which is formed with the ending -ing. (This English ending is also used to form active participles, but they are quite distinct in Quenya, ending in -la instead.) An extended infinitive is seen to function as an gerund in the sentence lá carita i hamil mára alasaila ná, "not to do [or, not doing] what you judge good would be unwise" (VT42:33). Another infinitival/gerundial ending is -ië, as in the verbal noun tyalië "play(ing)" vs. the basic verb tyal- "to play". The final -a of an A-stem verb would apparently be omitted before the ending -ië is added (and in the case of a verb ending in -ya, this entire ending would have to go, since **-yië would be an impossible combination). Combined with the dative ending -n "to, for", such gerunds in -ië may express the meaning of English infinitives signifying "[in order] to do": The verb enyal- "recall" is attested in the form enyalien "[in order] to recall/commemorate", which Tolkien explained as a gerund inflected for dative (UT:317).

And:
The infinitive of a basic verb (e.g. quet- "to speak") shows the ending -ë, as in the example polin quetë "I can speak" (VT41:6). A-stem verbs apparently show no special endings in the infinitive; the stem and the infinitive are simply identical (for instance, the verb lelya- "go" would have the infinitive lelya "to go"). Thus, the infinitive is identical in form to an (endingless) aorist. Quenya also has an extended infinitive which adds the ending -ta; when added to the infinitive of a basic verb, its ending -ë instead appears as -i-: While the simplest infinitive of the verb car- "to do, to make" is carë, its extended infinitive is thus carita. The extended infinitive may receive pronominal endings denoting the object of the infinitive, e.g. -s "it" in caritas "to do it".

Therer we go! Whatever happened to Almie?