Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 09:30 PM   #281
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thanks so much, TC, I printed it out and I'll get back to you when my head is unstuffed - awful cold!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-10-2002, 06:08 AM   #282
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Aw, poor RÃ*an! *hands RÃ*an a large cup of hot chocolate*
Old 11-11-2002, 04:22 AM   #283
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Ooohh, thanks so much Eärniel! I feel better already! I love hot chocolate!! How's your Tengwar coming along? Are you getting to sit down on the bus at all?

TC - really pretty, thanks for sharing it! I like how you switched modes from English mode (vowel over following consonant) to Quenya mode (vowel over preceding consonant) for the Quenya words. However, that made me think about the "preceding nasal" tilde thingo (the tilde over a 't', for example, to indicate "nt") - I bet they don't use it in Quenya mode because you read from bottom up, so the order would be wrong, if that makes sense.

I like your s-curls! Such fun! and your 'r' tengwa is very nice. I see "are" is in there - my favorite word to write, it's so pretty with the 'a' dots and the 'r' character. I enjoy how our Tengwar "handwriting" is different - it's not just a boring code to copy, it's really very individual.

Here's what I got:
May it be, an evening star shines down upon you. May it be when darkness falls your heart will be true. You walk a lonely road O how far you are from home. Mornie Utulie, believe and you will find your way, mornie alantie, a promise lives within you now. -- enya

Is that right, esp. the Quenya part?

ps - I noticed that you write your t, p, d and b tengwar with the bottom of the STEM on the baseline. In case you didn't know, JRRT wrote them with the bottom of the BOW on the baseline (like a lower case 'p' - check out the writing on the title page of LoTR books). You probably knew, but I wanted to point that out in case you didn't. It's perfectly readable your way, of course, and it's probably just your personal preference,which is fine.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-11-2002, 04:50 AM   #284
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Ooohh, thanks so much Eärniel! I feel better already! I love hot chocolate!! How's your Tengwar coming along? Are you getting to sit down on the bus at all?
Tengwar is coming along slowly. I only keep confusing a few tengwar. The bus is still full unless I have early classes. So I started rehearsing them before I go to sleep too. Next weekend I'm going to try and find some time to read up on how to use them in texts.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:03 PM   #285
Celebrian
Enting

Your Tengwar is really pretty Tinuvel Child! How long did it take you to write that? My writing is still really slow as I have to look up a lot of letters, especially vowels.

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:00 AM   #286
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Thanks, RÃ*an! Yeah, it's all correct and yummy. I actually didn't know about the correct way to write t, p, b, and d; thank you! I think I'll just keep writing them the way I have, though, unless I remember to write them the other way

Celebrian - it didn't take me long at all! I just sorta doodled it in the middle of History class, thought it looked neat and remembered how long it's been since I posted any Tengwar, and decided to copy it over, neater, and scan it in. Don't worry, after awhile, the letters and vowels become second nature and you hardly have to think about them!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!

Last edited by TinuvielChild : 11-17-2002 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:14 PM   #287
Rían

Celebrian - it helped me quite a bit to memorize them in groups - i.e., t, p, d and b go together (I think of them as the 'p'-looking group). The 'p' is a 't' sound, only with closing your lips (as indicated by the closed bow element). Same with 'd' and 'b' - the 'b' is the same as the 'd' sound, just close your lips. The others can be grouped, too. Let me know if you want more detail.

Old 11-20-2002, 11:00 PM   #288
Rían

Has anyone tried to read the Tengwar on the extended version menu page? For some reason, I can't seem to make it out...

Old 11-20-2002, 11:00 PM   #289
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

it looks like this thread has almost died.... I mean C'mon! no one has been on it for three whole days!!!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Old 11-20-2002, 11:08 PM   #290
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah, it's sad. I haven't had anything to say...so I haven't. I have been writing a lot but nothing worth note. By the was, how does everyone write "is" and "ou" sounds? Oh also on the writing on the Moria gate there is sort of a c thing apparently used for "a"? I use that sometimes instead of the carriers, because I don't like carriers much. Comments?
Old 11-20-2002, 11:13 PM   #291
Rían

I'm in such a bummer of a mood today - I don't feel like doing anything! Hey, I just posted a few minutes ago - did you guys see it? Do you have the extended version? What does your new title mean, Ms. U? Congrats, BTW! katya, can you give me some word examples for 'is' and 'ou' then I'll tell you how I would write it. And the Moria gate letters are the Eregion style, or something like that, where vowels are separate tengwa.

Argh, I've been so good lately, and now I've just been sitting around like a fungus bumming off for the last few hours!!

Old 11-20-2002, 11:44 PM   #292
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Hello Rian! long time no talk!! my title is Latin for "Guardian of all things holy." And thank you for noticeing!!! you are the first one who said anything about it!!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune

Last edited by Ms. Undomial : 11-20-2002 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:50 AM   #293
katya
Elven Maiden

RÃ*an, you changed your avatar didn't you? It looks much better. Yes, I know it is a diffferent mode or whatever on the Moria gate, but I like the "c" thing better than using a carrier so i use it sometimes. About "is" and "ou", I never really know what to write. I do "is" and the "s" (whichever one I normally use, whichever # that is) and the "i" thingy, but I use it a lot and wondered if anyone had any ways they used that looked nicer. For the "ou" sound i either do a carrier for the "o" and the "u"
thingy over the next letter or combine them sort of. Either way, it doesn't seem to look right. In words like "you" I use only the "u". I guess in some word an "a" then a "w" or something would work better.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:18 PM   #294
Rían

Ms. U - yeah, long time! (can I spill the beans to the others here? or do you want to?) Why did you pick that title? I'm curious...

katya - yes, it used to be just a scan, but I found a way to edit it in the paint program, so I spruced it up a bit and made it a little more feminine with the flowery-thingy, because I think that not many people know that RÃ*an is actually the name of a female character in the Silmarillion, and I wouldn't want someone to think I was a man! (it's such fun being a woman!)

I write the word 'is' with an 'i' mark over the 'z' character, both because that's how it sounds and because I think it looks prettier. I typically write 'you' as 'y' then 'u' over the carrier, but sometimes I'll write both 'o' and 'u'. As far as 'ou', I either write 'ow', 'o' or 'u', depending upon the sound. Isn't it fun how it's so flexible! Let's brainstorm up some interesting words and then compare how we write them!

Last edited by Rían : 11-21-2002 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:23 PM   #295
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Rian- (I want to ) well, I told my sister I needed help picking a title and she suggested that one. and I could not think of anything better so I decided that I wanted it!
Old 11-21-2002, 02:43 PM   #296
Rían

Ms. U - go right ahead

Old 11-21-2002, 07:50 PM   #297
Rían

I'm also hoping someone from "down under" will join us soon....

Old 11-21-2002, 10:00 PM   #298
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I'm also hoping someone from "down under" will join us soon....
Are you referring to me? *blushes*

Well you certainly know more than me. I understand how Tengwar works - the vowels go above the consonants and you read them in a downwards motion. I just have to memorize the letters. I guess the best thing to do is to practice translating words, hopefully I can find a good website for this. Speaking of the FOTR extended version, did it say Gilraen on Aragorns mothers grave? I could translate it, but I havn't had time yet. I need my cheat sheet.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:21 AM   #299
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
Are you referring to me? *blushes*
Absolutely! Welcome to the thread! I hope you come to like Tengwar as much as we do

Quote:
Well you certainly know more than me. I understand how Tengwar works - the vowels go above the consonants and you read them in a downwards motion. I just have to memorize the letters. I guess the best thing to do is to practice translating words, hopefully I can find a good website for this. Speaking of the FOTR extended version, did it say Gilraen on Aragorns mothers grave? I could translate it, but I havn't had time yet. I need my cheat sheet. [/B]
How much of the thread have you been able to read? If you have some time, I would really recommend scanning thru it. There's lots of good info, including a discussion of the various Tengwar modes (English, Quenya, etc.) and ways to memorize it. What's so fascinating to me is how the elements of each Tengwa relate to how the sound is formed in the mouth; in other words, it's not just a simple 'code', it maps the Tengwar into the type of sound each letter is formed by. I'll page back a bit and find some good posts for you to read.

And yes, it did at least start to say Gilraen, I saw "gilr" and the rest was covered. But I still can't translate the Tengwar on the disk 1 top level menu!! Some of it I can't make out (it's a bit fuzzy) but the parts I can make out the letters, it doesn't make sense! It's hard to believe that they would just put random letters, but it doesn't seem to translate to either English or Quenya - has anyone else tried to translate?

Last edited by Rían : 11-22-2002 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:26 AM   #300
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Don't have the EE-DVD, so cannot possibly have tried to translate...shall need to coerce a friend who does have it to let me watch it in the very near future. Shall get back to you on this, yes?

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Closed Thread