The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Wut, touring NASA exhibition?

WANT!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 AM   #282
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Hehehe, I figured that would make your pulse go up

I don't know if they've established in which cities the exhibition will be on display. It will remain in Stockholm till November until moving on, first touring Europe before going to the US.

The focus lies on human space flight, so lots of info about the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programmes as well as the space shuttles.
I want to be an astronaut...
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #283
Mari
Elf Lady

I don't, but I wouldn't pass up on a trip to the moon if offered!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #284
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Had a mathematics test today-had no idea how I had done-until my professor came up to me and let me know I made a 99%! Made my day!
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 PM   #285
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hooray for Elleth!

I'm happy because I tutored a kid in math for only 5 hours and he went from test scores of 48 and 47 to a test score of 75!!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #286
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Happy Chinese New Year!

Year of the Rabbit- good year for weddings and babies

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #287
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Baylor has shortlisted me for the PhD program, and they're flying me out next month for an interview! I'm sure it'll be a shock going from Toronto to Texas in mid-February, still . . . ROCK ON!
Missed this, Gwai- goodonya! What specific program?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #288
Jonathan

Happy Chinese New Year! Red envelopes for everyone

This joyous occasion called for Chinese takeaway for lunch for my part
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 02-02-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #289
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #290
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Out of school on my birthday!
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 02-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #291
Mari
Elf Lady

Wow Elleth! I'm positively amazed it's even possible to get such a high grade!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #292
Rían

Just got back from a fun time - we got private suite tickets for the Phoenix Suns' game (basketball) for free from my husband's work. We had one of those little private rooms about a third of a way up from the court. There's 12 seats overlooking the court, then farther back there's a bar with some bar stools, and then there's a sofa and some chairs with a large tv if you want to watch it on tv! Plus the food is free (for us, at least, but the owner of the suite pays) and it even has its own private bathroom! Also there was an assigned parking place where you could go straight from the parking garage into the suite corridor - you don't have to go down to street level, in the arena, then back up with all the common people

Now *that* is the way to watch a basketball game! Our family of 5 went, plus our wonderful fun next-door-neighbor (but only the husband - the wife couldn't come), and our daughter invited a friend (we had 7 tickets). It's so nice - you can just stand up and watch the game, or sit and watch, or stroll around and talk and watch, or watch it on one of the 2 tvs in the suite!

Last edited by Rían : 02-03-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #293
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Wow Elleth! I'm positively amazed it's even possible to get such a high grade!
Maybe in America? It depends on the class too. I consistently got above 100% on my French tests but more like 40%-60% on math tests. I remember thinking when I was in Japan that test grades were lower, like getting an 85% on a test would be quite good, where if I got an 85% when I was in high school my mom would probably ask why I didn't get an A.

99% is still awesome though, Elleth.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #294
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Same here. A+ = 90-100, A = 85-89, A- = 80-84. Which gets confusing when I'm talking to my friends south of the border about test grades.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #295
katya
Elven Maiden

I should probably clarify that 40-60% on a math test is not really normal, at least not if you plan on passing the class. Even 60% is extremely low. But that class gave the option to base our grade completely on the final so I ended up with an A-.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #296
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

GW, where do you live? I've never seen that scale before

Here A= 90-100, B= 80-89, C= 70-79, etc. The test was worth 100 points, 99 of which I guess I correctly worked out
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 02-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #297
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've often wondered about the US grading system. I spoke to a prof at my old university once, asking him what it would take to get an A+, and he freely admitted that they only gave them out once in a blue moon. The only time I ever got A+s in my arts degree was for 3 Middle Egyptian papers. Most of the time I tended to range between B+ and A-, with a couple of As thrown in there. And I don't think I'm a dumb arse.

(note: this was Arts, it's entirely possible to get A+s in Mathematics or other disciplines which are less argued, and more factual, if you know what I mean)

Last edited by BeardofPants : 02-03-2011 at 07:21 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #298
katya
Elven Maiden

The only A+ I ever got on my college transcript is for my French class, which I got something like 105% in. Most my high school teachers said 99-100% was an A+ but in college they are quite rare. In my experience.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 AM   #299
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

IT'S SNOWING! IT'S SNOWING!!! HOLY CRAP YOU GUY'S IT'S SNOOOOOOOOOOOOWIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never SEEN snow on the ground before! It's there! A good half-inch and steadily falling! OH MY GOD! I made a tiny snow man, and melted my handprint onto my car, and went for a little walk in the falling snow, and listened to the snow fall, and caught snow flakes on my tongue, and IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just so perfectly white, and everything is so still and quiet, and you can hear the snow hitting the ground, and you can hear it crunch under your feet.

My life is complete. I have SEEN SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so weird. You'd think it would be REALLY cold outside, but it's totally not! I just went out for a good long while in just jeans, a thin hoody, and a sturdy all-weather jacket, and when I kept the hood up I wasn't very cold at all. I thought it would be, like, SUPER freezing, but it didn't feel as cold as the "cold" weather we typically get.... I think because usually our cold weather is accompanied by really hard wind. But there was no wind tonight. O_o It was just super quiet. Except for the snow falling.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:23 AM   #300
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I've never SEEN snow on the ground before! It's there! A good half-inch and steadily falling! OH MY GOD! I made a tiny snow man, and melted my handprint onto my car, and went for a little walk in the falling snow, and listened to the snow fall, and caught snow flakes on my tongue, and IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Awwwww

I'm happy for you