Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #281
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
The birth of your sister only affected your life indirectly?
Well, I was 4 years when she was born and I never saw her (she died when she was 4 days old), so I can't really remember it all very well. It has affected me a great deal, though, mostly through how (differently) my parents reacted etc, etc..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #282
Mari
Elf Lady

Rian, that sounds great! Now you can all enjoy it instead of having to hold back on things!
Not sure if I should put my story here or in the venting thread because though I thought it was hilarious, basically it wasn't. Anyway:
A typical day at work, by Mari
We had to assemble at the agency at 10.45. There we heard that we had to work for the local government of Haarlemmermeer and the building we had to be in was located in a street called Raadhuisplein. They gave us a route description saying which train to catch at what time, where to get off, etc. So the three of us went there and we arrived at our destination (according to our map) at 11.50 while we didn't have to report in till 12.30. Very nice. So we started searching for Raadhuisplein number 1 which was supposed to be the town hall. We found number 1 but that was an ordinary house, not a public building. So I called the office asking for help. A lot of questions and conversation before they found out what was wrong... they send us to the wrong city! We were in Haarlem, but we were supposed to go to Hoofddorp! The guy at the office was freaking out completely so his colleague took over and she gave us directions for public transport to go there. That was supposed to take an hour. 5 minutes later however she called us again: we had to be there before 13.00 so please take a cab. By that time it was allready 12.25 and we had to wait for the cab to arrive first. When the cab came the driver told us it would take approximately 20 to 30 minutes to get there and it was 12.40 now... By the time we got there it was 13.10. We entered the building and the people there told us: no you are supposed to go to a different department! It's a 10-minute walk so please hurry up.
Then we came to the right location where the manager had been waiting for us, because he needed our help unloading some stuff. (In those 20 minutes he spent waiting for us, he could have easily done it himself, but okay.)
There were a lot of things wrong with the organization of the whole event, but I will spare you the details of that, but the weirdest thing still has to come:
At 18.00 or so the manager says (After we waited 1,5 hours for something to happen): "Well, doesn't seem like there is much work left for the rest of the evening. Two people can handle it easily." So he dismisses one of us, gives me and my remaining colleague some instructions on how he wants us to handle the rest of the evening and asking us to please clean up everything and then he goes home too! He's the manager, we are temps... and he just goes home! Telling us to just write down at what time we left and leave the completed forms on the table.. we could have easily put down wrong numbers and taken stuff home or things like that. This was seriously the weirdest thing that ever happened to me at work.
It's sad, but actually it's also very funny.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 02-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #283
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
THAT is utterly fabulous, Rian!

I so wanted a camper to travel last summer, but my vehicle laughed at me.

I'm really happy for you.
Thanks, and don't give up - trailers come in all shapes and sizes! I just saw a very cool show on "teardrop trailers" last week - check 'em out!

We unloaded our other two trailers tonight - whew, there's a lot of stuff in them! It will be fun to make the new one our new travel home, though. But there isn't much cabinet storage - the main purpose is to haul quads, so there's not a lot of storage because stuff has to be able to be flattened up against walls when the quads are inside. But we'll manage - and it's fun, too - like a toy house And it has a QUEEN bed for hubby and me, instead of a full bed

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #284
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

This is a fabulous quote.

"I didn't major in math. I majored in miracles, and I still believe in them," Huckabee, the Arkansas politician-preacher and darling of the religious right, told a cheering crowd at the Conservative Political Action Conference last weekend.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 02-14-2008, 01:10 AM   #285
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I love this one, too.

THIS is why scientists rock. *heart* I adore them.

Quote:
Blumberg sees a lack of science supporting the beverages that tout their anti-aging properties. The antioxidants they cite as active ingredients may help prevent skin damage, he says, but they don’t reverse it.

More than that, the drinks don’t contain enough antioxidants to pack a beneficial punch. If they did, they’d taste nasty, Blumberg explains.

“These are expensive products that contain less vitamins than a daily multivitamin you’d get for a nickel,” says Blumberg. “For the best skin benefit, take that multivitamin and eat some fruit.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23015432/wid/11915773/

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 02-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #286
Nerdanel

It's below zero degrees! Yay!

This also makes me happy: The PCR Song

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #287
katya
Elven Maiden

I had a good Valentine's Day. It's been pretty typical! But hey, I am NOT complaining about chocolates.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #288
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Good golly.

Scholarships. Thank you. *faint*

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 02-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #289
Nerdanel

Yay! My presentations are done, and I'm now more or less ready for the course in Copenhagen (Social insect biology). The presentations look good, now I'll just have to practise them at some point.. X)

It'll be nice to leave this place for a while.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-17-2008, 05:32 AM   #290
Mari
Elf Lady

You... don't like us anymore?

Old 02-17-2008, 06:03 AM   #291
Nerdanel

Of course I don't!

Nah, just kidding.. I was more referring to where I am physically - Helsinki.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #292
Mari
Elf Lady

I thought so, but it was too good to pass up

Old 02-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #293
Nerdanel

Hehe.. True.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #294
Nerdanel

Kosovo has declared independence!

Somehow I wish Milošević was still alive, so he could see this happening..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #295
Mari
Elf Lady

Wow, the Dutch news is behind. Here they said they were still in a meeting about it. I hope it'll be allright though. >_< You never know with that region, but they could sure use some peace and quiet.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #296
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
Congrats to the Kosovo Albanians, they've been waiting quite a long time for this day.

UN diplomat Martti Ahtisaari must be very happy about this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
Somehow I wish Milošević was still alive, so he could see this happening..
Haha, feeling a bit malicious are we?
Well, last year's ESC winner from Serbia won't be too happy about this declaration. She was pretty nationalistic so one can always laugh wickedly at her instead of Milosevic when the ESC final takes place in Belgrade
Ah, think of how funny it would have been if Kosovo could take part in the competition!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #297
Prince Myshkin
Elven Warrior

Ah! It's my birthday! It's a lot of fun so far. But, I'm still getting older which is still mixed for me right now...
Old 02-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #298
Mari
Elf Lady

Everyone is getting older I'm glad you're having fun! How's the dancing coming along by the way?

Old 02-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #299
Prince Myshkin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Everyone is getting older I'm glad you're having fun! How's the dancing coming along by the way?
Oh ikt's going great! I had to move dance studios two weeks ago because my school was closing because the Teacher was moving for health problms

It was really hard because I've been really close to him and I'm going to miss him. And I"ve never danced for anyone else.

It's been hard but the new school has been really great. I'm really sore today though because we have two pas-de-deux classes a week for me to lift ballerinas in lol.

I'm Really Excited because I got a full scholarship to like my favorite companies dance intensive for the whole five weeks! they're even paying for room and board! I'm so excited!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #300
Mari
Elf Lady

Hehe! *looks at Prince bouncing of the walls* I'm very happy for you.
What kind of dancing do you do? Ballet obviously, but also other sorts of dancing?

Closed Thread