Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #281
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I never quite liked Runescape either. But Suikoden for PS1 was a nice RPG. The early Zelda games (pre-N64) were fun too. I also had a huge liking for Final Fantasy VII (as one might tell from my avvy actually) as well the earlier Final Fantasy games.

My favourite RPG, all categories, is Final Fantasy Adventure for Gameboy. Ah, it makes me nostalgic
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #282
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Video games ARE a lot of fun. Especially MarioBros. games.

In our family we sort of have a "season" for video games. For the rest of the year we don't play them.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 02-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #283
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

In the Mario Brothers games you travel through little landscapes, looking for stuff, right? Stuff powers you up? So you can fly and get to another place and get more stuff? And when you've used it, it goes away until you earn it again.

Am I close?

What happens in Final Fantasy? People fight?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 02-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #284
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I also had a huge liking for Final Fantasy VII (as one might tell from my avvy actually) as well the earlier Final Fantasy games.

My favourite RPG, all categories, is Final Fantasy Adventure for Gameboy. Ah, it makes me nostalgic
I have only learned the story of Jenova/Cloud/Sephiroth/Zack/Genesis and co. The Meteorfall I have only witnessed very shortly in the beginning of Dirge of Cerberus. Right now I'm playing it again on ex-hard, having bought the Ultima Weapon!! I'm wreaking havoc, I tell you...

But right! The only reason why I haven't played the other games is that the battles are goddamn turn-based! No sense in that. Intense action, heart-stopping ambushes, you have to use your fingers as much as your head to keep your character alive!

AND! I finally got that art diploma work home (actually a while ago ) I'll be posting it soon in appropriate thread ("Crap Art"?)

EDIT: Sis: What happens...? Don't let me start OK. Some two thousand years ago, a meteor fell to the planet (not ours). Within was "heaven's dark harbinger", a calamity called Jenova. She was a virus-like creature, able to make her separated cells do her bidding in other creatures. She either killed or transformed into monsters most of the Cetra, the Ancients who protected the planet. I think what happened then was that the remaining Cetra imprisoned her into the place where she originally fell, the Northern Crater.

2000 years after, the ShinRa Manufacturing's scientists found her body (not exactly dead), mistaking her for one of the Ancients. Being aware of the great power the Cetra had, they extracted her cells from her in their lab. Their goal: to create superhuman warriors and workers, who could help dig for the energy source, mako, which was actually the planet's Lifestream. This caused the planet to weaken. ShinRA Manuf. became ShinRA Electric Company, commanding their warrior group, the SOLDIER. They all had Jenova cells in them.

ShinRA's Deepground had become a lab for mad scientists to defy all laws of nature. They wanted to create an elite-elite group, SOLDIER 1st class. These included Angeal, Genesis and Sephiroth. Two of these, Genesis (or "G") and Sephiroth ("S") turned against everyone but themselves. Angeal voluntarily perished at the hands of his apprentice, Zack. Genesis also fell to Zack, but not permanently. Until now, he slumbered deep beneath Midgar (=ShinRa).

Sephiroth, upon discovering his origins, burned the town of Nibelheim to ground, and before disappearing, vowed to one day become the ruler of the planet. Years later he returned, summoning the Meteor to crush the planet's shell, in order to trick the planet into flowing its Lifestream into the wound and then absorbing it, gaining as much power as a god. This didn't work out, as Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Cid, Red XIII (an ancient whose real name I forgot), Vincent, Reeve and Cait Sith stopped him, but the Meteor already hovered above the planet.

Then Aerith, another Cetra (well only half) managed to have her dying prayers (Sephiroth's blade had felled her) be heard by Holy, a magic as strong as the Meteor. It was too late though. When all seemed lost, the Lifestream synchronized with Holy and enveloped Midgar, ShinRa, and the Meteor.

It's been three years since the Meteorfall. The rest is up to you to find out. And yes, in Dirge of Cerberus, "The fate of the world will be decided in a storm of bullets!"

Last edited by Noble Elf Lord : 02-17-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #285
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
In the Mario Brothers games you travel through little landscapes, looking for stuff, right? Stuff powers you up? So you can fly and get to another place and get more stuff? And when you've used it, it goes away until you earn it again.

Am I close?
You also save a princess and battle bad guys that want to tear everything to shreads and impose their own tacky sense of style on everyone.

And in SmashBros you beat up all your other friends, who play goodguys and badguys whom are all sorts of characters from all sorts of games, get into a battle royal with one another smashing the bejesus out of everyone. It's fun.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #286
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Final Fantasy's are AWESOME. Sis, it's actually quite a complicated storyline. Sure, there's fighting & levelling up (it's an RPG afterall), but there's also story, character development, and my favourite part of a game, EXPLORATION!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #287
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

For the record, most Final Fantasy's are freestanding. The background Noble Elf Lord provided doesn't apply to the other games.
BoP had the essential stuff covered I think.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #288
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

You lose me right away on exploration. You have a character, and he or she walks around for a bit, trying doors, or choosing paths, and there might be something significant they happen across? Or something might attack, and then you unloose the fell sword and slice them into tournadoes.

*sigh* I'm really not trying to be a jacka$$, and I'm listening carefully. Remember, you're explaining a rainbow to a deaf person, here.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 02-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #289
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Just for the record, Final Fantasy's are excellent, as is Morrowind. They are (at least the ones I know) well-crafted and beautiful portraits of characters, events, and worlds.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #290
hectorberlioz

Mari's post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Well, there are different sorts of games, but the ones I play usually start with the explanation of your character and explains the setting for a story.
For example the one I'm playing now had me positioned on a ship that sank. I landed on an island and met Robinson Crusoe who told me there were other islands. I could get there if I wanted by assembling a few materials so he could make me a raft.
From there I could walk around the island and click on things that seemed interesting and by doing so I collected the necessary materials.
Then I got to choose which island to sail to and there I met other inhabitants. Basically, though there is a main story, I create the substories myself by making choices.

I'm home alone
Something was wrong with Mari's post and it didn't show up, so she asked me to post it for her...

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 02-17-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #291
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
I don't know why you want to try three times to swing up to the top of a building to get a ring, though.
Darn, I would feel better if I hadn't been trying to do just that for the last hour. (Although it was to get a jar, not a ring.) I'm reminded again how I don't like computergames with fighting. I have lousy control over the buttons, and it generally makes me too nervous. But I thought, it's the Hobbit, how hard can it be? To my defense, there weren't any necromancer's minions in the book when Bilbo wondered through Mirkwood...

(Hey Mari, how's the game with the islands called?)
Old 02-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #292
hectorberlioz

'The Hobbit' was a GREAT game! I loved it. Underrated, for sure.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 02-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #293
Earniel

I don't think I'm ever going to beat it, though. It started out fun, but now it's rather frustrating.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #294
hectorberlioz

What level are you in? There were indeed some tough areas to get past, for sure. Mirkwood was very very annoying...

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 02-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #295
Mari
Elf Lady

I never played that.

Earn, I'm playing Wonderland Online. It's a cute game, but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners or people who don't like having to wander around.
Some things are quite hard to figure out.

By the way, my connection has been failing me for the past few days, so I have trouble being here/posting.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 02-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #296
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
What level are you in? There were indeed some tough areas to get past, for sure. Mirkwood was very very annoying...
At the Wight Lord, which I assume is the last bit of the level. But getting this far was already a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Earn, I'm playing Wonderland Online. It's a cute game, but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners or people who don't like having to wander around.Some things are quite hard to figure out.
Online? Is it to be played on the internet? I can handle walking around and difficult puzzles most of the time, I can't do fighting. Does it have fighting?

Quote:
By the way, my connection has been failing me for the past few days, so I have trouble being here/posting.
I hope it get fixed (or fixes itself) soon.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #297
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
At the Wight Lord, which I assume is the last bit of the level. But getting this far was already a nightmare.
O_O Good luck with that... *runs*

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 02-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #298
Mari
Elf Lady

Yeah it's played on the internet. And there is some fighting, but it isn't difficult. You just choose which action (attack, spell or item) you want to take and if your level is high enough you win. If not, you'll find yourself back at a safe point

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 02-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #299
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I am offically back.

*pounces on random people*

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #300
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
I am offically back.

*pounces on random people*
Are you officially back for a long period of time, or officially back from your work?

How goes the work, by the way?

The Da CINDY Code
~
Closed Thread