Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 02:08 PM   #281
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an

My husband and I have brown hair, and our two other kids got our brown hair, but our middle son got the blonde hair and blue eyes and fair skin of both grandpas, two aunts and an uncle. Recessive genes at work! Our blood types also make a perfect Mendelian square, or whatever it's called (is rusty at genetics terms)

Sorry to hear about the race, lastsane That must have been really frustrating! I hope your ankle is better soon. What kind of riding do you do? (I used to train and show quarter horses.) Can you do some kind of exercise-riding to earn more money?
Owch Chrys. Good luck with that disk! Yeah, I stand by the no-riding policy until that thing heals. And witht he leg thing to...you are as big a bag of broken parts as I am! wow...i'm not alone anymore!

AH, the beauty of mendelian genetics. Yes, it was a...*refrains from swearing, promise to Maggie..* Very frustrating ordeal. And my ankle is on the mend....though not very well. My mobility is severely limited still. I do regular ole thoroughbred racing. Flat seat, haul-ass, win-by-a-nose racing. The only sport that suits (suited?) my hot blood! And yes, I am hot walking the horses and doing remidial training for yearlings, but I have damaged my ankle pretty bad. And in doing my exercise riding, I am not really letting it heal very well.

I love quarter horses. My idea of relaxing is barrel racing.

MORE VENT: I had to put down my faithful friend Trace. Best horse in the world. Also my first horse. She was a thoroughbred, and only 5. but she recently broke her leg (and no oneis telling m ehowit happened) adn wasnt mending well. And the vets said she wouldn't be able to really run again, and I had already borrowed more money than i ought have to g tthe vets out. So I a mpretty well wrenched, I was there and put her downm yself. Really depressed. On the virge of giving up and going back to prize fighting.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 05-19-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:49 PM   #282
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

That is so, so sad about your horse, Shah. And your ankle - let it heal before riding again, or you might heal improperly and then have problems with it for ever; same with you Chrys with your back. I envy you guys' being able to ride and spend time with horses; this was one of my biggest passions for a long time before I fell thru a roof and shattered my T-12 vertebra a few years ago, now I can never ride again. Let your body heal, you guys! Have patience with yourselves, you'd really miss riding if your body were irreparably disabled.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 05-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #283
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i did actually do a bit of riding. i know i shouldn't have, but me back were feeling much better today, i just hope i dont rue the decision come tomorrow
Old 05-19-2005, 05:10 PM   #284
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I just got back from Freshman orientation. Which, while it SHOULD make me happy, has turned me into a cranky rhymes-with-snastard.

*goes to collapse into a puddle of weariness*
Old 05-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #285
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

well, tessar, i know the best thing for cranky trastards, that's a sleep i presume

what is a trastard anyway?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #286
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I don't want to sleep, I need to go to choir in an hour and a half. Which brings us to the next delima--I want a soda REALLY, really, really, really horribly badly (a Pepsi, to be exact), but I shouldn't be drinking anything with caffeen so close to a time when I'll be singing.

Screw that--I'm gettin' a soda. And taking a nap. And if someone doesn't wake me up in time for choir, I promise I'll explain exactly what a trastard is .

[EDIT]

Rian I just realized I never got around to posting my comment on your son's head injury.

OWIE!!!! I can't believe he got up and gave a talk after a beating like that. I remember the one time I got a head injury (fell off my bike and scraped the skin off the side of my face + hit my head--amazingly all the skin grew back without leaving a single scar mark). I threw up for the rest of the day any time I ate or drank anything (even half a cup of water), which wasn't pretty since my mom kept trying to get me to drink stuff--it got even uglier when I started getting hungry and tried to eat stuff a few times >_<.

Last edited by Tessar : 05-19-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:36 PM   #287
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Tessar, why is drinking a soda (esp. with caffeine) bad before singing?

(yeah, my poor son wasn't feeling the greatest, but he did it! He came home and played gamecube for awhile, then he took a nap, which he never does! He's fine now.)

Shah - I'm so sorry to hear about your horse

I hope all the injuries here heal up soon!

VENT - in the style of Theoden ...

Arise, Arise, children of R*an!
many deeds await - gymnastics and church group!
Classrooms shall be visited, school play attended,
a car day, a driving day, ere the sun sets!
Drive now, drive now! Drive to your activities!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 05-19-2005, 07:12 PM   #288
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Drinking a soda is bad because the caffeen speeds up your... something... I don't remember... metabolism or something. Anyways, it creates more mucus on your vocal chords. You need SOME mucus to let your vocal chords vibrate and move easily, but too much makes them sticky and sluggish.

For instance, you might move your throat muscles to sing a high note, meaning the vocal chords move appart, but with too much mucus on them they get get momentarily 'stuck' closed (making your voice break as you push too much air through--like most guy's do naturally when their voice is changing). It's only for a split second, of course, but it causes some nasty sounds.

Try it--you don't have to be a music expert to feel the effects. I noticed it before I was ever even interested in my voice. Don't drink anything with caffeen, and don't eat any dairy products for a few hours. Then sing along with the radio for a bit--chug a soda, and start singing again. For me it takes less than ten minutes before my voice feels 'thick' in my throat, and I get a lot of 'gravel' sound in my voice.

Some people aren't affected at all by it, or by dairy products, and can eat a cheese pizza and drink a Jolt soda right before singing and sound just as good as ever, but most people need to avoid things like that for a couple of hours before singing.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:14 PM   #289
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i often drink coke whilst singing, caffeine doesn't affect me in the slightest
Old 05-19-2005, 07:31 PM   #290
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Caffeine is bad because it's a diuretic and dries you out, as well. Hydration = yay for singing!

Vent: My house is such a PIT and ther'es nothing I can do to fix it because I don't know where to PUT anything. It's stressing me out RAWR!
Old 05-20-2005, 02:37 AM   #291
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

LCOU, how much water do you drink? I think if you drink a ton of water, the coke affects you less and washes through your system much more quickly.

On the other hand, if you don't drink enough water, you may not notice a difference because you couldn't possibly produce more mucus anyways .

Or, of course, you COULD be one of those lucky few. In which case I and a few singing friends of mine will be by shortly to beat you up out of jelousy .

Vent: The best bass voice in the choir almost never shows up for practice, then he comes in to mass LATE (as in, AFTER the kyrie--sometimes after the second reading), and then he sings loudly. But guess what? He's starting to make more and more mistakes. Not only that but he seems to expect us to share our sheet music with him because, of course, his doesn't have the proper notations on it. Why is that?

BECAUSE HE DIDN'T GO TO THE #$(%#)ING PRACTICE!!!!!

I would SO love to throttle him. Today he showed up AFTER the practice was over, and he wanted to know one thing: Where the choir would be sitting.

We're doing renovations to the church, and during that time the choir's going to have to sit up front in a sidenitch about 30 feet from the alter. So he only wanted to know because if we're going to be sitting up front, he'll show up on time--if not, and no one can see how late he is, he'll be happy to show up whenever he pleases. Of course he didn't say it in so many words, but it's pretty easy to read him. He isn't interested in singing for the Glory of God, or even just because he likes to sing: he wants to be a performer and have everyone pat him on the back and say what a wonderful singer he is.

And here sad little me is, struggling along through my voice lessons and trying to learn how to sing properly. I can't sing well, but I'm always on time and try my best. The best singer doesn't even try.

UGH!!! I would so love to give him a good, hard KICK.

Last edited by Tessar : 05-20-2005 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:29 AM   #292
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Possible clinical depression. YAY!! Anyone here been on Remeron?
Old 05-20-2005, 05:51 AM   #293
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i never drink water, but then my singing style is quite harsh anyway, ao thats probably why i dont notice any difference
Old 05-20-2005, 07:13 AM   #294
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
Possible clinical depression. YAY!! Anyone here been on Remeron?
No, my doctor wouldn't give me anything for my depression. I had to "talk" about my problems instead. Which is perhaps why I am still depressed. It would truly be wonderful to get through a day without crying. *sigh*
Old 05-20-2005, 07:37 AM   #295
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Yay, Cassie's back!

That sucks that your doctor thinks talking is the ultimate cure, or whatever. A couple of my friends have been seriously depressed, and just talking about it wasn't enough to get them through it. In one case, my friend only talked about it after he had gotten through his depression.

As someone who was (is?) mildly depressed, I don't need the extra help, but I can understand that someone would need anti-depressants. Depression isn't a simple matter. I'm not that depressed, but it's still not as easy as telling my parents I'm sad. In fact, I haven't told them yet. I've only talked to two people about it, and of them, only one in depth.

It would be even harder and more complicated, I imagine, for someone who is very depressed, or clinically depressed.

Best of luck Cass! I'm sure everyone and his dog are telling you this, but you can get through this.

EDIT: You never drink water Chrys!?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 05-20-2005 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:39 AM   #296
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

My doctor has suggested I see a psychologist, but I'm not about to waste my time and money on someone who is just going to tell me what I already know or leave me in the exact state that I'm currently in.

I've been given that antidepressant to help with sleep, energy and concentration, but I already know what I really need in order for me to be happy.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:51 AM   #297
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
My doctor has suggested I see a psychologist, but I'm not about to waste my time and money on someone who is just going to tell me what I already know or leave me in the exact state that I'm currently in.

I've been given that antidepressant to help with sleep, energy and concentration, but I already know what I really need in order for me to be happy.
I wasted several hundred dollars on a psychologist recommended to me by my doctor. I stopped seeing her after we both thought I was over my depression, but it came back. I'm much too busy now to go and see her, and I don't see the point because I know what would make me happy as well. Alas I can never have it.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:22 PM   #298
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Perhaps you should change your goals and desires to fit into what you think is more probable. I know what you all are going through and treatment for one is not the cure for another. It is extrememly difficult, but try to try until you find something that works for you.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:17 PM   #299
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

My vent? My vent-of-the-day? The LEAFBLOWER!!! The leafblower guy outside blowing the garden, aaarrrgg, the noise! AARR - Phew... he finally left.

Cassiopeia, depression is no walk in the park, I empathise, but maybe you might want to consider finding yourself a real doctor rather than someone who under-diagnoses you and downplays medication in favour of "talking". Some meds can really help; I've had Celexa in the past (I've had just about every anti-d med one can think of, actually) but Celexa was the one that helped me best re-right my brain's chemical imbalance. Mind you, I hate psychologists; I didn't "talk" to anyone about anything, just got meds from a psychiatrist, and in retrospect perhaps I would have benefitted greatly from psychotherapy as well. But - like Pearl Jam, I'm still alive, so...
I truly hope your days get less heavy and teary , Cass. Things'll look up soon, they have to, right?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 05-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #300
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thanks for the explanation, Tess! And sympathy about that selfish git of a bass!!

Best wishes and prayers to Cass and Andúril... I'm sorry to hear you guys are feeling so bad. PM me if I can help at all...

My vent - continued poor health prevents me from having the energy to be on the in-depth discussion threads that I like

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 05-20-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Closed Thread