Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2004, 01:55 AM   #281
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
And thus is the case of Saruman solved.

I misread the "wavering" part. My apologies.

Very nice explanation, inked.
Thanks, but this is my take on wavering. Attalus or others might think differently.

Quote:
It works very well regarding Saruman, I think, but I would still have some questions regarding Morgoth ( ). According to your argument, despite everything he did, Saruman would have still been given a second chance by the Valar.

In the VoE, however it is written, that Morgoth "sued for peace and pardon."

Was Morgoth, who was irredeemable, more evil than Saruman at the end, who was also irredeemable, that his request for mercy would not be heeded? Is this even possible?
Morgoth did initially as you recall, but then he returned to his self-will. He repented his repentance and the second falling was worse than the first. Morgoth indeed fell into the void. But both characters commit to self-will and enact it over time until it becomes their very way of being.

I think both Saruman and Morgoth when given their opportunities for final turning from self refused to do so wilfully or had become so self-fixated that they were incapable of choosing otherwise. They had confined their existence to self until implosion. They were irredeemable because they chose to be not redeemed when redemption was proffered.

Yes. It is possible in Middle Earth as Morgoth, Saruman, Wormtongue, and Gollum all demonstrate for us.

True repentance and amendment of life is shown in varying modes in Merry and Pippin and Bilbo and Frodo and Sam. We see the same in Boromir.

Quote:
Does the downfall into evil have a floor, or is it bottomless?

Considering what we've discussed so far, my guess would be bottomless, since a "floor" would have to be pure evil, I think, a concept that we agree and Tolkien says doesn't exist.
The downfall into evil is not bottomless. The selves we discussed who elect evil until it becomes for them impossible to repent implode into nothingness. Rejecting the good, they become incapable of existence. Evil is found to be derivative ultimately by all who so choose.

Quote:
And what would be your take on the redeemablity of characters such as Maeglin and the Fëanorions?
I should have to re-read those sections to be specific enough, but I would hold that if they did initially right out of good motive and when offered the opportunity, repented of their self-will and error, they were not irredeemable.
All however had in their degree the choice of self or the Other. To refuse the Divine Will out of self-will ultimately leads to self-destruction.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 03:51 AM   #282
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Thanks, but this is my take on wavering. Attalus or others might think differently.
Yes, but I like your take. It makes sense.

Quote:
Quote:
Was Morgoth, who was irredeemable, more evil than Saruman at the end, who was also irredeemable, that his request for mercy would not be heeded? Is this even possible?
Yes. It is possible in Middle Earth as Morgoth, Saruman, Wormtongue, and Gollum all demonstrate for us.
Sorry, bad wording. I meant that since I had pointed out that both were irredeemable. If one falls so much into evil that one cannot be redeemed, are there still degrees of evil? Clearly Morgoth is more evil than the Fëanorions, but is he more evil than Saruman?

Quote:
The downfall into evil is not bottomless. The selves we discussed who elect evil until it becomes for them impossible to repent implode into nothingness. Rejecting the good, they become incapable of existence. Evil is found to be derivative ultimately by all who so choose.
Oh! So you do have a different take on it.

Okay. IMHO, if "pure evil" does not exist, this means that no matter how bad you get, you never reach a theoretical spot where you are completely evil and thus could not get more so.

*sigh* A math example comes to mind. I don't know how much of this everyone knows... So, take the equation xy=36. If you graph this, you will see that it is impossible to reach 0, because 0 x anything=0, thus could never equal 36. However, you can continuously get smaller and smaller without touching 0, 360 x .1 = 36.

So on one side the graph goes down towards 0 without ever touching it, and on the other it goes up into infinity...

It's almost 3am, so I can't be sure, but I think I might have at least mathematically proved that your "no true evil"/"perfect good" might be true...!

Anyway, back on topic. If you can never reach 0, "perfect evil", then it seems to me that you can always get worse...

Quote:
I should have to re-read those sections to be specific enough, but I would hold that if they did initially right out of good motive and when offered the opportunity, repented of their self-will and error, they were not irredeemable.
All however had in their degree the choice of self or the Other. To refuse the Divine Will out of self-will ultimately leads to self-destruction.
Okay.

I agree with you on the last, btw. Amazing, isn't it?

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:54 AM   #283
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I certainly agree that no evil entiety that has not imploded into Zero is irredeemable. Indeed, that would be blasphemy. Christ taught that He came to redeem all men, and by extension we can say Elves and Maiar, even Melko. However, the self-centeredness that is at the core of evil will usually prevent this, except by an exceptional act of will, expressed very well by C.S. Lewis in The Great Divorce. Inked I'm sure will recall the image of the soul with the small demon on his shoulder whispering to him that the soul would be lost without him, but finally, the soul rejects it by ripping it away from his shoulder and throwing it onto the ground. It immediately turns into a magnificent stallion that the soul gladfully mounts and rides away into the hills. The greater the sin, the harder the repentence but the greater the glory thereby.
On another note, I am struck always by the similarities between the ends of Saruman and Sauron. Both, after their mortal destruction are seen as phantoms, the one of Saruman quoted above and the "impenetrable shadow crowned with lightning" that menaces the Captains of the West with a huge hand (the Black Hand?) and then is dispersed by a great west wind. Note the directions of both winds. Saruman wavers, Sauron threratens. Does that not sum them up neatly?
Old 12-11-2004, 12:58 PM   #284
inked
Elf Lord

Attalus, an excellent point. For those with "ink"lination to do so, reading THE GREAT DIVORCE by CS Lewis will shed much light on this subject of how evil gains a foothold and proceeds to envelope and consume the agent by compliance of the will. He does with characters what Tolkien does! And while entirely enjoyable, THE GREAT DIVORCE is far too short, IMHO!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:17 PM   #285
Attalus

Quote:
Attalus, an excellent point. For those with "ink"lination to do so, reading THE GREAT DIVORCE by CS Lewis will shed much light on this subject of how evil gains a foothold and proceeds to envelope and consume the agent by compliance of the will. He does with characters what Tolkien does! And while entirely enjoyable, THE GREAT DIVORCE is far too short, IMHO!
Indeed, I would wish it four times longer. A great book with stunning imagery.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:24 PM   #286
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmere
In the VoE, however it is written, that Morgoth "sued for peace and pardon."
Hmm. It seems that this, like many of the other questions you've raised, is a complex matter.

Both Morgoth and Saruman, I think, were irredeemable and yet, could have been redeemed. It seems I must defer to elvish wisdom and answer both 'yes' and 'no'.

It's not that Saruman, and even Morgoth, couldn't have been redeemed. It's that they couldn't be redeemed against their will, and they didn't want to be redeemed. Does that make sense?

If, as Inked suggests, Saruman really is offered the chance to reform (or rather, to be reformed) and return to his original purpose, then he really wasn't irredeemable - he simply refused redemption when it was offered. The state of evil is such, I think, that even in the moments of lucidity when the corrupt individual realizes that they are in opposition to the divine will, they often do not repent, but instead attempt, in a tragic irony, to redeem themself by their own will (thus relying on their self-will even in their desire to return to the divine will).

Quote:
Okay. IMHO, if "pure evil" does not exist, this means that no matter how bad you get, you never reach a theoretical spot where you are completely evil and thus could not get more so.

*sigh* A math example comes to mind. I don't know how much of this everyone knows... So, take the equation xy=36. If you graph this, you will see that it is impossible to reach 0, because 0 x anything=0, thus could never equal 36. However, you can continuously get smaller and smaller without touching 0, 360 x .1 = 36.

So on one side the graph goes down towards 0 without ever touching it, and on the other it goes up into infinity...

It's almost 3am, so I can't be sure, but I think I might have at least mathematically proved that your "no true evil"/"perfect good" might be true...!

Anyway, back on topic. If you can never reach 0, "perfect evil", then it seems to me that you can always get worse...
Yes. Actually, I think what you're trying to get across is something I've said before - evil is asymptotic (which is a more succinct way of saying everything you just said ).

Actually, I've played with (but cannot really stand behind) the idea that both good and evil are asymptotic, at least from the perspective of human experience. A fallen creature is incapable, at least through its own efforts, of abolishing evil within itself and becoming pure good, but is likewise not ever able to annihilate themself and in doing so attain pure evil.

That is of course, not to say that pure good does not exist - just that it cannot be distilled out of a marred existance.

Interesting to note that Sauron, ultimately, never became 'pure evil'. Tolkien himself wrote that, with the destruction of the ring, Sauron would be
Quote:
reduced to a shadow, a mere memory of malicious will.
Tragically enough, even in his ultimate fallen state, Sauron retained a last shred of goodness that allowed him to continue existing.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 12-11-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 07:32 PM   #287
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
Gandalf

i think evil could be most simply put as the failure to do good
Old 12-11-2004, 09:10 PM   #288
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I'll respond to WF a bit now... I've got to go in about half a minute...

Quote:
Yes. Actually, I think what you're trying to get across is something I've said before - evil is asymptotic (which is a more succinct way of saying everything you just said ).
Asymptotic. Yes, exactly. Thank you.

My math skills have dropped so far that I couldn't even remember the word until I looked it up. Am I sure I really want to take a math class next semester...?

I'm basically saying, "Haha! I've had a change of heart! Maybe you're right...!"

Quote:
Actually, I've played with (but cannot really stand behind) the idea that both good and evil are asymptotic, at least from the perspective of human experience. A fallen creature is incapable, at least through its own efforts, of abolishing evil within itself and becoming pure good, but is likewise not ever able to annihilate themself and in doing so attain pure evil.

That is of course, not to say that pure good does not exist - just that it cannot be distilled out of a marred existance.
I prefer the idea that both are asymptotic.

Quote:
Interesting to note that Sauron, ultimately, never became 'pure evil'. Tolkien himself wrote that, with the destruction of the ring, Sauron would be
Tragically enough, even in his ultimate fallen state, Sauron retained a last shred of goodness that allowed him to continue existing.
Oh dear... this is an Off Topic rant, actually... in the movie, didn't they make it seem that to destroy Sauron would be to destroy evil forever...?

Anyway, that certainly bears looking at... though I wonder... considering that with the destruction of the Ring, Sauron still exists, would anyone argue that redemption is still a possibility for him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianLegolas
i think evil could be most simply put as the failure to do good
So... if you didn't do your homework one night (doing homework arguably being good ), is that evil?

I think that the concept of evil is a good deal more complicated than that...
I'm out of time...

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:30 PM   #289
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkbeard
It seems though that you are equating fallibility with not being "perfectly good"-- ...
Your comment reminds me of the fascinating verse in the Bible : "Because he himself [Jesus] suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted." (Hebrews 2:18, bolding added)

I think this illustrates the concept of the potential for evil existing, yet evil not actually existing. Jesus Himself was said to be without sin, yet He was tempted, and apparently not just lightly, either, since He "suffered".

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:40 AM   #290
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
I think that the concept of evil is a good deal more complicated than that...
Yeah. I think so too.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:59 PM   #291
Attalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
Yeah. I think so too.
*Looks at the length of this thread* Concur
Old 12-30-2004, 10:10 PM   #292
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider Middle earth evil

In middle earth evil and good are clearly distingwishalbe (Oh boy... try figureing that word out! )
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 02:54 PM   #293
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I would agree and disagree with that. In the beginning there is a fine line between doing something for good or bad reasons, but as these deeds progrees the gap seems to largen and something can be seen easily as one or the other. Take Saruman for example. When he started studying Ring lore there must have been a fine line between getting in to depp (ass he did) and merely studying the enemy's weapon, yet after he got in to depp it became plain that the deeds he was comitting were evil. Also with Melkor, he wanted a domain of his own which might not be evil but could be considered wrongs as he was one of the Valar and he was trusted in guidance of those who would be awoken by Eru, yet he to became evil.

A quote that I like concerning evil in LotR is:
Quote:
As you have always done. For good and evil have not changed since yestreyear
I'm not sure if that is the exact wording as I don't have the books with me, but it is basically saying that however evil time get good and bad does not change, it's just the evil emphasis is more pronominent.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:01 PM   #294
Beregond
Hobbit

I believe that a peson is evil if they can only do wrong and know that they are doing it, for instance (I can't remember his name) but the orc that tries to steel frodos mithril vest.
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:36 PM   #295
Small No-name
Hobbit

Strider

You have a point thare and i totaly agree with you
Small No-name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #296
Small No-name
Hobbit

Strider

You are one smart person.