Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-07-2003, 03:56 PM   #281
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
Maybe I should just bugger off outa this thread & leave it to people who know what they are talking about.
No, please don't, you ask good questions and are considerate and you don't flame.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:20 PM   #282
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
No, please don't, you ask good questions and are considerate and you don't flame.
Ditto.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:31 PM   #283
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Ok, I've been reading over this thread and here's my two cents. The last couple of posts have been about twisting the bible's words and what makes a Christian and stuff like that. Well, in my experience, today people seem to be looking for the easy road to follow. They want to find a church that suits them. now I'm not saying that there is something wrong with that...that's great if you find a nice church. but people seem to be content with where they are...they don't want to search out the truth and study the history of Christianity to find out why we believe the things we do. Again, I'm not trying to put anyone down...it's just that several of my friends here are doing just that. Any opinions?
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:36 PM   #284
Gwaimir Windgem

OT (kinda): Arien, do you have your Bible?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-07-2003, 04:38 PM   #285
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
OT (kinda): Arien, do you have your Bible?
unfortunately no I don't...it's still at my fiance's house...I need to remember to bring it home! Also...I'm in class so I kinda have to "wing it" when it comes to the Bible
Old 04-07-2003, 04:40 PM   #286
Gwaimir Windgem

In class and on the moot at the same time? Is it possible?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-07-2003, 04:40 PM   #287
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

yes...I keep haveing to close the screen window when the prof walks by

Last edited by Arien the Maia : 04-07-2003 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:59 PM   #288
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
Ok, I've been reading over this thread and here's my two cents. The last couple of posts have been about twisting the bible's words and what makes a Christian and stuff like that. Well, in my experience, today people seem to be looking for the easy road to follow. They want to find a church that suits them. now I'm not saying that there is something wrong with that...that's great if you find a nice church. but people seem to be content with where they are...they don't want to search out the truth and study the history of Christianity to find out why we believe the things we do. Again, I'm not trying to put anyone down...it's just that several of my friends here are doing just that. Any opinions?
I think that's a pretty astute observation - people are more concerned about 'what's in it for me', or 'what's good for me, in MY opinion', rather than 'what do I believe to be the truth'.

Arien, sweetie, you need to get yourself another Bible! One for home, and one to be with your fiancé!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-07-2003, 05:06 PM   #289
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Merkedel
And I wouldn't say Jewish religious authorities crucified Jesus, though they might not have minded-lots of "false messiahs" got crucified by Romans with the aquiescence of collaberationist Jews. The Pharisees (the predecessors and basis of rabbinic Judaism) were not looked on that favorably by the establishment. Such charismatic individuals were percieved to be a threat to Rome's authority. The Jewish revolt some 30 years after Jesus' death failed in part because of Jewish disunity, not just because of Rome's legions. In fact the rabbis say the second temple was destroyed because of "Sinat Chinam" roughly translated in bitter internal strife.
I know that story. We leart about that in history! what's "Sinat Chinam"?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:08 PM   #290
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

Quote:
1. Do you believe in Kabbalah, and could you give a general overview of it?

2. Do you believe in a "golem"?

3. Do you believe that if one utters the name of God (the Ineffable Name) as spelled by the Hebrew consonants, that they have no place in the World to Come?

4. Could you give a general overview of your stance on animal sacrifice, if the Temple were rebuilt?
1. I don't know what the Kabbalah is.
2. I don't know what a golem is, unless it's what it is in fantasy computer games, in which I'd say no.
3. I do not believe that and never have.
4. I'd never sacrifice an animal, and I'd be very displeased if they started to do that again if the Temple were rebuilt. They probably wouldn't anyways.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:08 PM   #291
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
Arien, sweetie, you need to get yourself another Bible! One for home, and one to be with your fiancé!
I know I took it over to his place a while ago when we were having a sort of Bible study thing...then he moved to his new place and I never remembered to get it back...along with my Catechism...but we do have a "family" Bible at home and my mom has her's as well so when I get home tonight I can have it handy!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:15 PM   #292
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by Agalayth
1. I don't know what the Kabbalah is.
2. I don't know what a golem is, unless it's what it is in fantasy computer games, in which I'd say no.
3. I do not believe that and never have.
4. I'd never sacrifice an animal, and I'd be very displeased if they started to do that again if the Temple were rebuilt. They probably wouldn't anyways.
Golem is a part of Kabbalah, which is, I think, Jewish mysticism based on the invocation of various names of God. So if you don't know about Kabbalah, then you wouldn't know about Golems. It's a man of clay which is animated by invoking names of God, I think. Markedel?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-07-2003, 10:21 PM   #293
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Question of Bible preference for the various Christians here:

KJV or NRSV?

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:34 PM   #294
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I currently use NKJV....My first bible was a Good News Bible. Good for a child's first bible, but NOT one of the better translations.

Question:

Could someone explain a marriage or matrimony ceremony of any other religion? Particularly interested in Islam, at least one sect of Wicca and Bhuddism.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:44 PM   #295
Gwaimir Windgem

KJV's mah fave.
NRSV....New...somethingsomething Version.

But there are many, many, many other translations out there. Probably most of them won't be limited to one of those.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-07-2003, 11:10 PM   #296
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Golem is a part of Kabbalah, which is, I think, Jewish mysticism based on the invocation of various names of God. So if you don't know about Kabbalah, then you wouldn't know about Golems. It's a man of clay which is animated by invoking names of God, I think. Markedel?
I'm not Jewish, but basically that is what a golem is.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:53 PM   #297
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by TinuvielChild
Question of Bible preference for the various Christians here:

KJV or NRSV?
I like the NASB - New American Standard Bible. It's considered to be an excellent translation, and I like how it uses the formal language (Thee, Thou) in prayers and the Psalms. Also how personal pronouns are capitalized when referring to Deity (You, He, Thou, etc.).

I think many nondenominational churches use NIV (New International Version). It's a little more of a - oh, what's the word I want - I suppose 'cultural' translation, as I understand it (worded a little less formally than NASB, and more like everyday talk), but it doesn't capitalize personal pronouns referring to Deity (which I like 'coz it seems like a mark of respect and uniqueness), and it doesn't use formal language (which I like, being a Tolkien and language fan!).

I'm not familiar with NRSV; is that New Revised Standard Version? I am familiar with RSV (Revised Standard Version) and have heard that the translation is faulty in some places.

Old 04-07-2003, 11:56 PM   #298
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
I know I took it over to his place a while ago when we were having a sort of Bible study thing...then he moved to his new place and I never remembered to get it back...along with my Catechism...but we do have a "family" Bible at home and my mom has her's as well so when I get home tonight I can have it handy!
It's nice to have your own, tho, so you can write notes in it! (example - 'really need to work on this!' And I date my notes, and it's neat to look back and see that God HAS worked on things!

It took me a while to actually get the nerve up to write in a Bible but once I figured out that it's there to help us, I started, and it's really neat - makes it very personal, and helps you to re-find verses that you like if you've underlined them, etc. But I always do it semi-reverently

Old 04-08-2003, 09:32 AM   #299
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I was trying to say I don't beleive in Golems-but such myths and legends usual have some kind of value-there are lots of them floating around.

Sinat Chinam is just hebrew transliterated. Literally "free hate" it has no exact equivilant in English.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:21 AM   #300
Gwaimir Windgem

Ah. I could tell you didn't believe in Golems, but I was under the impression you believed in Kabbalah in general.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle