Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-22-2003, 06:04 AM   #281
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I have FoxNews on now - I just thought they were going to go to commercial they said "we'll be right back - don't go anywhere..." - but they were just changing reporters basically.
LOL, yeah they even do that when the same reporter comes back, usually at the top of each hour anyway
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:05 AM   #282
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

I *in the tiniest way* regret making this discussion topic...

And yet, it is so amusing to see two people talk about the differences between network channels owned by the FOX company....

Although, it could soon become cruel and unusual punishment...

Just Oh so conflicting....Oh Don't mind me...keep talking...

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:08 AM   #283
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
LOL, yeah they even do that when the same reporter comes back, usually at the top of each hour anyway
I guess sort of similar to what ABC was doing - but they didn't make it seem like they were going to be gone for a while. Peter Jennings would say - "be back in three seconds"

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:11 AM   #284
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn
...it is so amusing to see two people talk about the differences between network channels owned by the FOX company....
You mean FoxNews versus Fox? It's a very intellectually stimuating discussion.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-22-2003, 06:16 AM   #285
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Gah--Yeah I'll tell you the difference...

NEWS at the end...

Man, I need some more soda! Got to go get some....more...

Old 03-22-2003, 06:22 AM   #286
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn
Gah--Yeah I'll tell you the difference...

NEWS at the end...

Man, I need some more soda! Got to go get some....more...
I have to go to bed. it's after 5:00am and the brids are chirping outside and the sky is starting to lighten up.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-22-2003, 06:32 AM   #287
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

'Night Jersey...killing the birds usually helps with the chirping...

Old 03-22-2003, 06:48 AM   #288
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Especially since Third Rock is in syndication and is all repeats. It'll be on again.

Oh - just another Movie star to boycott.
So far I think it's...
Martin Sheen
Sean Penn
Janeane Garafilo (sp and too lazy to look it up)
Richard Gere (Reason i won't go see Chicago, saw it on Broadway anyway)
May boycott Susan Sarandon a fellow New Jerseyan. Khamul pointed out that Janeane Garafilo is also a New Jerseyan.

There are others - just can't remember at the moment. Oh the BIG one - Alec Baldwin. I wish he left the country like he promised.
But I haven't seen all the episodes yet...

Yeah, and don't forget George Clooney! What a jerk!

Yeah, Alec Baldwin's a biggie too. Hollywood seems to be Jerk City.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:52 AM   #289
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Yeah, and don't forget George Clooney! What a jerk!

Yeah, Alec Baldwin's a biggie too. Hollywood seems to be Jerk City.
They're jerks because they have differing opinions?
Old 03-22-2003, 06:55 AM   #290
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

No they're jerks because they think they're right...they aren't.

Old 03-22-2003, 07:03 AM   #291
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

No, George Clooney is a jerk because he mocks Charlton Heston's Alzheimer's. That was why the Julia Roberts quote upset me. It doesn't matter to me that she's a Democrat: what matters is that she resorts to such petty name-calling and blatant intolerance of those who have differing views. Surely you don't think that there is nothing wrong with mocking someone for having Alzheimer's? Is that just a difference of opinion?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 09:27 AM   #292
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Well my favorite (well I'm assuming) Iraqi blogger stopped posting. I hope he isn't dead (he predicted last week the war would turn him into "pasta sauce") not only cause all death is terrible but because his witty comments on American occupation will be entertaining. And he makes for better coverage than TV.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:00 AM   #293
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Wow. There's 2 more pages since my last post 5-6 hours ago. I'll pick up where I left.
Quote:
I am sure you know that Artanis, but it is hard to believe that people in the world don't get it. History tells us all...
History is always a matter of interpretations. You could claim that peaceful solutions have never been tried out. I don't think it's hard to believe that people are against war. War is spectacular, it is up front in media and we've all watched pictures of falling bombs, explosions, landmine victims, suffering children. On the other hand, the everyday cruelties of a dictator against it's people do not get screentime.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:18 AM   #294
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Bad news /good news:

Bad news: the Turks are moving into Iraqi Kurdistan

Good news: the Americans are extremely unhappy about it

Even better news(if it's confirmed): U.S. forces may already have seized Kirkuk

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 10:24 AM   #295
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Two good blogs to follow for a continuing update if you're not near a T.V.:

http://www.agonist.org/

http://www.tacitus.org/

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 03-22-2003 at 10:26 AM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 10:36 AM   #296
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
But what kind of peaceful resolutions? How do people expect to deal with these monsters?
Well, for the case of Iraq, there are many that support Blix' solution: To give the UN inspectors the time they need to finish their job properly, and wait for their conclusion. They will also point out that Saddam had started destruction of his weapons, and that things were moving in the right direction. Many are also taken aback by the way the USA almost from the beginning has clearly stated they would not listen to a majority of the UN, if the majority should go against them. I'm stunned by it myself. Given that the USA is the superpower of the world, it is a bit scary. To recite a Swedish writer of children's books, Astrid Lindgren: "One that is very very strong, must also be very, very kind".

In general, people may believe in sanctions, international attention and pressure. The sad thing is of course that this does not affect the dictators in these countries, only their people who get to suffer even more.

Quote:
Originally posted by JerseyDevil
So - if we can't handlle ALL the problems - then we shouldn't handle any?

I know you stated you were playing devil's advocate and you do support the war - but I wanted to point out - just because there are other "evil dictators and regimes" does not mean we should not take action on the ones we can.
I agree, but in reality we can take action towards any of these dictators, if we want to. Other regimes have dictators, other regimes have weapons of mass destruction. Terrorists are spread all over the world and are supported by countries all over the world. What people are asking themselves is, why just Saddam Hussein's Iraq, and why right now?

It's right I'm sort of a devils advocate. But I don't find it difficult. Even though I've taken a stand and now support the war, it was a hard decision to take. I can easily understand and sympathise with the arguments I've given above. But then I think, and hope, the situation for the Iraqi people will get better in the long run with a new regime, and I also think Saddam has played the cat-and-mouse game with the UN long enough. Well, I don't have to repeat all the pro-war arguments, many posters here have been through them many times already
Old 03-22-2003, 01:33 PM   #297
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Well, for the case of Iraq, there are many that support Blix' solution: To give the UN inspectors the time they need to finish their job properly, and wait for their conclusion. They will also point out that Saddam had started destruction of his weapons, and that things were moving in the right direction. Many are also taken aback by the way the USA almost from the beginning has clearly stated they would not listen to a majority of the UN, if the majority should go against them. I'm stunned by it myself. Given that the USA is the superpower of the world, it is a bit scary. To recite a Swedish writer of children's books, Astrid Lindgren: "One that is very very strong, must also be very, very kind".
First point, Blix also said that inspections were being held back due to lack of compliance....

huh? The US did not from the beginning clearly state they wouldn't listen to the majority of the UN. If that were the case they would not have gone to the UN in the first place. Also, when the US/UK/Spain started to doubt the UN was when France said "we will veto anything". Let's get some facts straight....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 03-22-2003, 01:35 PM   #298
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I also think Saddam has played the cat-and-mouse game with the UN long enough.
Exactly!!

--Linaewen
Old 03-22-2003, 01:39 PM   #299
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

LOL, I just found one of the funniest cartoons (if you know anything about Charlie Brown that is)

Click Here!!

--Linaewen
Old 03-22-2003, 03:15 PM   #300
Artanis

He-he. Poor Charlie
Quote:
First point, Blix also said that inspections were being held back due to lack of compliance....
Yes, and that is where the cat-and mouse game falls in.

Quote:
huh? The US did not from the beginning clearly state they wouldn't listen to the majority of the UN.
Didn't Bush say early in the process that the USA would go to war alone if they didn't get any support?