Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2001, 07:23 PM   #261
Mathron

Re: Blurting out whatever he knows . . .

*Jeez, I don't respond for half a day, and you feel the need to prompt me! Patience, young grasshopper, patience!*

The broodlord gave a short, barking laugh. "No, I am afraid Sethriss is indisposed... Show us, however, to the room your lord kept, in hiss tower. And, as well, tell us what he had you do for him."
Old 03-30-2001, 07:25 PM   #262
Mathron

Re: Destinations.

As they walked farther into the woods, and towards the elven kingdom,, Seetoo looked about every few minutes with a strange look upon his face. Wonder and surprise marked most every move of his, for quite some time.

As the miles passed, and the day began to grow dark, Seetoo found that most of the others didn't wish to speak with him, and shied away from Harnauro especially. He eventually sidled over to beside Ulrog, cocked his head in his curious manner, and twittered. "I am Seetoo. Hello, what is your name?"
Old 03-30-2001, 08:40 PM   #263
Lief Erikson

Vardor's chambers.

*Grasshopper! Well! I wouldn't have normally, but you posted last night without saying anything in the story. Gave me the impression that you were undecided. Apparently I was mistaken, and perhaps a little impatient.*

Lord Thaldsan's face showed his dislike of that idea, but he decided it would be wisest to follow through. "If you will follow me," he said stiffly, moving sideways through an open door. "My connection with him is rather one sided, as I told you. I have been recently given the job of looking for Dania as well. That one thought seems to be his obsession at present. He has assigned multiple spies and other even higher up officials to look for her. I don't know any of their names," he said hastily. "My other work has been mainly building up my own position in King Theoden's court. Mine and a couple other people who he also has. These people I think are also under his command, perhaps in a more direct link than me. He wants strength and officials in just about every country. And has it to, in most, I expect."

He soon passed through the courtyard and entered a tall tower beside the Golden Hall. After climbing a spiral staircase, he reached a door on the side of the hall. "This is his quarters. Locked, I'm afraid. Sethris has the key." He squinted at the broodlord. "Or had it."

The broodlord smiled slightly, a smile completely lacking in warmth. He made short work of the door, and stepped inside, followed by his men and Lord Thaldsan.

The room was made of dark wood, although one wall was made of stone. In this wall was a window looking out over the rest of the city. A very good point of view to watch for uninvited guests, the broodlord noted. There was a desk at the back, with ink and several sheets of blank paper lying on its surface. One smooth black stone was inside one of the drawers, but all the others were empty.

There was a bed at the back and a black robe and cloak slung over it, without pockets or any contents.

Lord Thaldsan shuffled his feet uncomfortably and waited for them to finish.
Old 03-30-2001, 09:24 PM   #264
Mathron

Re: Vardor's chambers.

*heh, yes, last night I was just in a bit of a rush, with not much time for more than a small post. Don't worry, I'll stay posting constantly.*

The broodlord walked over to the desk, looking through the papers and other items. He picked up the stone, and looked it over carefully, for any markings, and then put it away within his (still slightly singed) cloak, along with the papers.

He gestured for his men to look through the other contents of the room, as well as search it, and the walls, for any secrets. He turned back to Thaldsan, and stared at the man for a few moments without speaking, while the lord shifted uncomfortably.

Finally he spoke, and said, "I doubt you can tell uss anymore, so will let you go. But you had best think carefully of where you go from here - I doubt thiss Vardor will be pleased with you." Another wicked smile lit the broodlord's face, as Thaldsan stepped backwards, fear in his eyes, and then fled from the room.
Old 03-30-2001, 10:57 PM   #265
Lief Erikson

Re: Vardor's chambers.

*Don't worry, I'm not concerned. You've been keeping up on this as well as I have, and I think this is quite possibly the fastest moving RPG in existence. Or one of them, anyway, not meaning to brag.*

As Lord Thaldsan fled, amazed that he had escaped with his life, *And so am I, by the way * the broodlord was just about finished up his search.

"Nothing more," one of his men said. "He kept his chambers quite empty, probably for in case someone like us decided to take over. Or if King Theoden discovered about his little rat hole."

The broodlord nodded absently.

"I think we've exhausted all of our leads, sir. Sethris apparently had more than he was letting on, but he was killed before any of that could be let out. Lord Thaldsan I think . . ."

"Surely you know your place," the broodlord said harshly. "You're a soldier, not a councilor. Unless you want to feed my sword, behave like what you are."

The creature fell silent and stepped back with a bow.

The broodlord turned around in disgust. Surely there was more available than this!
Old 03-31-2001, 05:57 AM   #266
Roland

Ulrog looked at Seetoo in amazment. Clearly the creature didn't know what an orc was. Nobody asked an orc his name. They were treated cruelly, even by other orcs. He was about to sneer at Seetoo's ignorance, but had a quick change of mind as something occured to him.
"I'm Ulrog."
The two chatted inanely for so long that the others soon tired of it and started to ignore them. Seetoo was glad of the conversation. Later, when they camped for the night, the two continued to chat, in hushed tones. A sly look came over Ulrog's face. This was the oppurtunity he had been waiting for.
"Seetoo, do you like games?"
Old 03-31-2001, 05:58 AM   #267
Mathron

An Unexpected Meeting

The broodlord gave a sigh, and turned away, his men following. As he headed out of the tower, and into the streets of the city, pondering his next move, a shadow passed briefly overhead.

An uncanny feeling entered into him, and he narrowed his eyes, placing a hand upon his sword. As he heard his men gasp behind him, he spun about, seeing out of the corner of his eye a form practically appear from nowhere behind him. His sword flashed out, lightning fast, in a defensive pose. Before his eyes could even make out the form behind him, his blade was snatched from his hand and hurled aside, and another hand shot forward and slapped his face twice, brutally, sending him staggering back.

As he regained himself, he looked up to see a figure standing there, a figure he knew. A form of beauty - elven in stature and image, but to a degree of glory rivalling the greatest of elves. The form had one betraying difference, for feathers abounded upon the creatures arms, though they shrank completely into its flesh even as the broodlord watched. As the broodlord looked up into the figures face, seeing an amused smirk upon the visage, his breath caught.

He dropped to one knee, and said, "Aetoo, we are honored by your pressence."

The figure laughed, not a harsh laugh like those of the broodlord, but a light and melodious sound, full of amusement. "Indeed, you are, aren't you? You dropped your sword, ugly man."

The broodlord calmly stood up and retrieved his weapon, and then turned back to Aetoo, eyes lowered. "I regret to say we find ourselvess at a loss."

"You seem very lost indeed..." came the sly reply. "Well then, tell me what you can, and I shall see what I can do."

The broodlord nodded, thankful, and began to tell all they had learned.
Old 03-31-2001, 08:51 AM   #268
Lief Erikson

Time!

Perhaps it is time to end this once and for all, Vardor thought. The key must be taken, and soon. My servants who have been sent have betrayed me or been destroyed. Now it is time to send one of the greater ones. One who will not take any more time. Already they approach Lothlorien, and if I cannot stop them before they reach there, they may well be beyond my reach. Lady Galadriel might find a way to deal with the key so that it is never found, and the castle will be warned of its impending danger.

Who knows? Perhaps then maybe even one of the Valar will think it important enough to be worth his attention. Then I will truly be stopped. Not even I can face a Valar in personal combat.

Vardor put a hand to his face in silent thought. Then he lowered it. Yes, it was time indeed to put an end to this. He would summon both of his Nightriders. No matter how determined they were, they would fall to that. And his next questioning of Dania would not be as slow moving as his previous one.
Old 03-31-2001, 11:03 PM   #269
Mathron

Seetoo paused at Ulrogs question, tilted his head back and forth, and then said, puzzlement in his tone, "What is games?"
Old 04-01-2001, 01:55 AM   #270
Mathron

Flight

As night fell, the broodlord and his men were following Aetoo, having left the city behind, and were now a bit into the open plains.

"So, from what you've said," gaily said Aetoo, to the broodlord, "this Vardor is hunting those who were once companions of the shadow man, right?"

The broodlord nodded.

"Well, it serves to reason that he will still be after them, so all we need do is catch up with them, and we shall likely have Vardor come to us!"

"Aye, but we losst track of the companions, and even if we knew where they were, they are easily weeks ahead of us."

Aetoo laughed. "Silly man, you underestimate us! I know exactly where they are! And as for reaching them - well, I will take you to them."

A shudder went through the broodlord but he nodded.

Aetoo looked about, his eyes glowing a faint blue in the night, despite the near total darkness caused by clouds overhead.

"I think we shall go now, in fact. Have your men stand back, and I shall ready myself."

The broodlord quickly backed away from Aetoo, hurriedly signaling his men to do the same. In moments, a large space had cleared around the figure, who stretched as if tired.

And kept on stretching. Feathers lined along his arms, and then the rest of his form, which began to grow and expand. Soon, his arms were instead wings, long and broad, clipped with talons on the ends. The feathers were a deep black, and monstrously sized, as well as nearly as hard as scales. When Aetoo finished his "readying" he was the size of a small house, and a sleek and blacklined thing, a darkling bird of the night, with beauty near as much as in his humanoid form.

He turned his broad head towards the broodlord, a deadly beak at the fore letting out a soft cry, and the broodlord stepped forward, with iron will, and clambered onto its back, his men following. With another soft cry, the creature took off, and soon was airborne, and heading north - toward Lothlorien.
Old 04-01-2001, 03:03 AM   #271
Lief Erikson

Attack of the Nightriders

Faradin stood and fingered his sword hilt uneasily as he stared upwards into the sky.

"What is it?" Ayna asked sleepily.

"I thought I saw . . . wait! There it is again!"

He stretched out his hand and pointed upwards into the sky as three winged creatures swooped in, moving closer and closer to the campsite. They were separate, however. One moved apart from the other two. They seemed to suck in the darkness, being of a deeper dark.

Suddenly a brilliant beam of blue light leapt from one of the two creatures, lancing out and disintegrating as it hit the farther away creature.

Ayna stood up, her blanket wrapped close around her, and stared in amazement at the spectacle unfolding in the air.

Blasts of blue light hurtled from the twin creatures, countered by unseen magic and exploding, lighting up the night sky in an incredible display.

The creatures clawed at each other as they got closer, the smaller pair harrying their larger opponent.

Explosions flickered in the sky, beams of energy striking through the larger creature's apparently weakening defense. The creature sweapt at them, claws tearing vainly at what had been there a moment before.

The creature leapt around it and hurtled another blue bolt in, shattering the larger beast's wings and tearing at its hide. Another brilliant flash, and it was over, the maimed creature spiraling slowly towards the forest floor. But its two adversaries didn't waste any time finishing it off. Instead, they swooped in closer to the forest, mingling with its shadows and disappearing from view.

Aetoo finally landed bumpily, without any of the grace of his take off. Pain racked his form as the broodlord and his men dismounted. Caught by surprise, and those two beings on their winged mounts had had surprising power.

Perhaps Vardor had been one of them, and perhaps not. Danger was not yet ended, and it had taken a great deal to put an end to those creatures. His power of defense had only just barely protected his life, and that of his charges.

And he had a feeling that this was far from over.
Old 04-01-2001, 05:00 AM   #272
Mathron

Re: The clash of the Titans

*Um... er, that doesn't quite fit... Aetoo has no magical power to speak of.. and wasn't exactly seeking a fight... and would NOT have been taken by surprise. oh well, I will work with it.*

Aetoo, landing, dumped the broodlord and his companions upon the ground, as he resumed his elfin shape. Rage lit his eyes as he looked on his skin, and the red marks where he had been burnt.

He glanced, as well, to his palm, where the shattered remnant of a golden stone now lay, no longer affixed within his skin. He clenched his hand, ignoring the pain as the now jagged edges of the stone dug in deep. He had been born with it, lived with it, made with it, and now it was gone - but it had served its purpose.

He had seen the creatures coming in the sky, but had not expected the attack, and his own arrogance and shock had let them lace him with energy the stone only barely turned back.

He turned about, seeing the broodlord and his men staring at him from a dozen feet away, as though awaiting orders. One of the warriors glanced down at Aetoo's hand, and the glance brought Aetoo's mind back upon his pain. Rage flared within him once more, and before the warrior even realized he had offended, his head was snapped and his broken body was flying across the clearing, to slam into - and knock down - a tree over a hundred yards away. The rest of the broodlord's men froze, at the figure suddenly amidst them, and breathing heavily with hatred, the once beautiful features now distorted with anger and outrage.

Aetoo's thoughts whirled through a range of areas, still angered at the beings that had approached him. If one of them was Vardor, so be it - father's plans aside, he would have vengeance upon it! If it was only a minion, however, he might go through with his plans, if only because he knew what fate would await father's "guests"....

Suddenly, Aetoo straightened, and composed himself. "Things go differently than planned. Make contact with the group we pursue. Now that the shadow man is no longer among them, we have no need to struggle with them - try and ally with them, against this Vardor. If they ask why you pursued their friend, make up some reason - say he was an old enemy or somesuch. Yes, that should work. Oh, and when among them, pay no heed to the little one, just in case."

His voice was now settled, and he seemed pleased with himself and his new plan. Already, the burns and marks on his skin had begun to heal, and the pain fade, as his accelerated healing systems had kicked in. Stretching his arms, which had born the brunt of the damage as wings, he was happy to find them limber and strong again.

"And where shall you be?" replied the broodlord, voice cold, yet respectful.

"I shall be hunting whatever that was that attacked us." Aetoo's words were followed by light laughter, and then, before any of the others could respond, he shot out of their at full speed, vanishing from sight before the others had even started to register his departure.

The broodlord stood there, and then looked around, glancing at the body lying across the clearing against a tree. He looked back at his remaining warriors. Only three left, though he had started with more than forty... things had not gone well, not at all.

And yet, if they succeeded in furthering the master's goals in any way, than all was worth it. Anything was worth it, for the master.

Without a sound, he headed out, his men falling into line behind him, as they headed in search of the companions.
Old 04-01-2001, 05:22 AM   #273
Lief Erikson

Re: The clash of the Titans

*Oh well. Aetoo seemed to have magical powers to me, what with the transformation and the lightning movement. I wasn't sure how high of a scale to put him on, but I thought he would be pretty high.

I'll edit my post. I don't want one of Vardor's only two Nightriders dying for nothing.*

The company hadn't remained encamped there for long. The fight had given them fair warning, and although they didn't know who was good and who was one of their attackers, Slythre couldn't believe that their meeting was coincidence. They had another guardian and he had intercepted their enemies. She only prayed that he managed to hold them off long enough for them to lose themselves in the forest.
Old 04-01-2001, 06:15 AM   #274
Roland

Re: Friends or foes?

Ulrog hushed Seetoo with a quick quick gesture before he was able to repeat his question. The lights in the sky and these newcomers meant that his plan would have to wait. Ulrog tugged gently at Slythre's sleeve to get her attention.
"Don't trust them! Alliances mean nothing to this lot," he whispered to her.
These men (if that was what they were) had obviously betrayed Vardor. Only two sorts of people betrayed Vardor: the very strong and the very stupid. Ulrog sighed as he realised which category he fitted into.
Old 04-01-2001, 06:26 AM   #275
Mathron

Friends or foes?

*Aetoo's powers are purely physical, and natural. They are still incredibly effective, and boosted by things that put them on the level of high magic, but they are not magic themselves - almost's its opposite. (As with all these creatures, actually.) In any case, while he probably wouldn't have taken out the Nightriders in the sky, he will likely be on their level when he is initiating the combat.*

The broodlord walked cautiously through the woods, heading back towards where they had spotted the camp of the party, before flying past it and landing after the aerial battle.

A small noise, nearly imperceptible, put him on guard, and he gestured for his men to hold, and stand aside, awaiting for whatever might approach.

---

Faradin led the group through the woods, heading farther towards Lothlorien, more anxious than ever to reach its safety. Suddenly, from by his side, Harnauro called a halt. "There is a presence ahead," he whispered to the ranger.

Indeed, his words proved true a moment later, as a figure walked out of the trees ahead of them, a figure wearing black, obsidian armor, and with a face shrouded in shadow, that they knew would undoubtedly prove to be a disfigured visage should they see it.

Faradin's blade slipped to his hand almost immediately, and the rest of the party rapidly drew weapons, until noting that the figure did not have its own weapon drawn, and was accompanied only by three others, all with weapons still sheathed.

Faradin let no caution down, eyes still narrowed, and said, "What business have you here?"

"We may have a common foe," came the reply from the figure in front.

Glances were exhanged in the party, and Harnauro barked, "You have proven to be our foes already - why should we trust you?"

"Though we were at oddss before, we no longer need be at such. We attacked you before for two reasons, both of which we no longer have."

"And what reasons would those be?" Harnauro's growl rumbled back at them.

"We had our own conflict with the one you called Malagar, for he had earned our emnity in the passt." At these words, Harnauro nodded slightly, for he had known Mal well for making enemies easily. The broodlord continued, "But Malagar is no longer among you. Our other business was in sservice to the one called Vardor, who claimed the elf maiden was his own enemy. We since learned that he spoke falsely, and intended to use her for ssome other, dire, purpose that we have not yet divined. We now seek to find and sstop him, however we can." The broodlord's words were low and sibilant, but sounded nearly plausible to some of the party's members.

Slythre spoke, anger in her voice. "The fact still remains, nonetheless, that you attacked us a number of times!"

The eyes of the broodlord, seen as mere glints in the darkness, seemed to harden, and he responded, harshly, "And do any of your number lie dead? No! The only casualtiess of that were my brothers! And yet, we put that behind uss - Vardor must be caught, even should we need ally with you."

Faradin rocked backwards on his feet, obviously unsettled. Slythre and Harnauro seemed to greatly distrust them, but some of the others behind him seemed somewhat swayed by their words. And, surely, having them at his side was better than open battle where they stood, especially as other enemies plagued their every step. With the others split, it seemed the decision was up to him. He gave an inward sigh, thinking over all very carefully.

---

Seetoo, at the back of the group, craned his head, looking towards the newcomers. He hadn't gotten the chance to learn what "games" was, since the lights in the sky. Looking at these creatures, he wondered why they smelled of the caves, and then shrugged, his curiousity going back to Ulrog, and "games".
Old 04-01-2001, 02:26 PM   #276
Lief Erikson

The vote tips towards no . . .

*:lol:

And I acknowledge about Aetoo. Even if he initiated the attack, without either magic or that jewel I can't quite believe that he'd be capable of beating a Nightrider, but perhaps wounding him.*

Slythre shook his hand off in disgust, but believed him. "I don't intend for them to join, but I don't know if the rest agree."

She already had decided this, but the vote was not entirely in her hands.

Ayna's face was hard, and she was fingering the jewel on her necklace absently.

Narsh and Faradin appeared undecided, while Gungar and Dania seemed more openly in the favor of accepting them. An extra few blades would help, Gungar said, and they had already shown good proofs as to why they were willing to join. Dania thought that it was better to keep an enemy where you could see him, or else he would slip up and stab you in the back, not that Slythre thought that logic was very sound.

Elrov's expression when he looked at the broodlord and his companions was much like Slythre's, which showed plainly his thoughts about the idea. He glanced over at Ayna nervously, but her expression seemed to hearten him.

The broodlord and his men didn't much like the way this was turning out, the prominent ones in the company, (those who made decisions) all seemed to be saying no. But at least they were discussing it. That was something. Perhaps.
Old 04-01-2001, 05:34 PM   #277
Mathron

Re: The vote tips towards no . . .

*Aetoo probably couldn't take both, but might easily take out a Nightrider one on one... think of him as on the scale of a dragon. No magic, but simply sheer physical might.*

The broodlord crossed his arms, awaiting the party's decision.

While the rest debated, Harnauro approached them, eyes narrowed. "Begone. Thought the others still talk, I doubt you will be welcome in our company."

The broodlord's gleaming eyes narrowed, and he responded harshly, "What foolss are you? Would you have us openly battle here, while another enemy plagues you? Had it not been for our alliess, you would already have faced powerful forces tonight, unprepared. Is it wisse to face two enemies, or ally with one against a greater threat?"

Harnauro let loose a low growl, and then turned back to the group. He had joined with strange allies before, and in worse situations than this one.
Old 04-01-2001, 09:41 PM   #278
Lief Erikson

And the answer is . . . (drums beat) no.

"No, you may not join with us," Slythre said, her voice hard. "The majority of the company think it too great a risk. Your recent attacks on us could never make you trustworthy, and you can't even prove that it was you who helped defend us against that enemy creature. Even if you could, we cannot know that you won't betray us."

Farther away in the forest, a wind blew eerily in the trees, the smell of death tinging its scent with evil.

The cause of it was the creature that flew through the air above the forest, a dark rider atop a black creature. Its wings were long, its body scaled and it had razor sharp claws. But the rider was the true danger. Its shape almost impossible to make out, it was a dark hole, blacker than the night.

It moved at a smooth speed, gliding silently and slowly over the trees, not looking down and not needing to. It simply felt, and it knew.

The Nightrider continued on its lazy course, arrowing in on its target, ever nearing the company. From farther away, on the other side, its companion also moved in, silently gliding over the trees, the smell of death the only herald of its coming.

But the scent wasn't long in approaching before it was noticed by Harnauro and Ulrog, their noses twitching as they realized that the danger was far from over.
Old 04-01-2001, 10:36 PM   #279
Mathron

Re: And the answer is . . . (drums beat) no.

The broodlord eyes burned with anger, and then he gave a short barking laugh.

"Very well. But we shall accompany you nonetheless, and follow in your stepss. If you wish to prevent us, you shall have to cut uss down, unarmed and unresisting - will you do that, or stand by as your companions do so?"
Old 04-02-2001, 12:27 AM   #280
Elbreth of Carhouth

Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!

*You guys move too fast! lol I wasn't gone that long, and you wrote 2 more pages for me! Who are Aetoo and Seetoo? Sounds like Artoo and See-Threepio... *

Dania looked down uncomfortably at this challenge, but as her face was downcast, a new determination took her. Her eyes glittered, her jaw clenched, her face stoney. She'd made up her mind, it was up to the others. Her postion on the matter remained the same, she would rather have them where she could keep an eye on them. Better in control than blind any day.