Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 07:53 AM   #261
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

You're - you're ... CRUEL!!
Old 08-26-2003, 08:08 AM   #262
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

It's not my fault. I was trying to cheer you up. Who'd have guessed that causing your stiches to come undone was a bad thing?

Fraktmann Frans Fransen fra Farsund, frakter femten fine fruer fra Fredrikstad, forbi Ferder Fyr. Fruene framfører fryktelige forferdelige fiser for Fraktmann Frans Fransen fra Farsund

Høyesterettsjustitiarius sysselsettes i et forlystelsesetablissement.

Konstantinopolitanerinnenespiperengjørelsesmaskin erier

I should stop thinking about Swedish now. I've started to use its inverted word order all the time. 'Have you any spray? Think you that it was funny? It has I.' etc.. I also have a tendency to yell out things in other languages when emotional (or not).
I know Lai uses English words unwittingly in German conversation. Do any of you guys also do this?

Last edited by Linaewen : 08-26-2003 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:24 AM   #263
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
I should stop thinking about Swedish now. I've started to use its inverted word order all the time. 'Have you any spray? Think you that it was funny? It has I.' etc.. I also have a tendency to yell out things in other languages when emotional (or not).
I know Lai uses English words unwittingly in German conversation. Do any of you guys also do this?
Lol, that sounds just like the English we used to speak when we were kids and new to the language

And yes, we use English words all the time in the Swedish language. And in shool, which is a partly French school, we often use French words as well.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:31 AM   #264
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

No, I mean use foreign words/grammar unintentionally. I never say 'Where is it?' in English- always Swedish, Indo, Italian or Chinese. Which may cause a few problems when asking other people, but who cares?

Ach, probably just bored 'Niel to death about Indo grammar. My apologies also for the number of PMs it took to cover it.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:55 PM   #265
Jonathan

Quote:
No, I mean use foreign words/grammar unintentionally
It happens, but mostly it's intentional.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:53 PM   #266
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I am indeed.

It shouldn't be much of a problem. Most people know English as well. Some big cities get a lot of tourists so they're pretty used to people not knowing either French or Dutch. Where are you going?
I am going to Brussels for a couple of days. Really looking forward to that.

Lin: Very good!
Ah, come on. You learn swedish online, I learn swedish from Swedes ... there is no competition between us. You are still the obsessed one.
Although I really love the Swedes I know from Dublin.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:56 PM   #267
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
That's because I'm a weirdo.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:50 PM   #268
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Ach, probably just bored 'Niel to death about Indo grammar. My apologies also for the number of PMs it took to cover it.
No worries. I've printed them out to have a good look at them. If you don't hear from me in a few days time, indo grammar has been the death of me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
I am going to Brussels for a couple of days. Really looking forward to that.
How nice! I hope you'll like it. Say hi to the atomium from me.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:53 PM   #269
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
... I also have a tendency to yell out things in other languages when emotional (or not).
My mother spoke french as her native language, and I remember her cussing at my father. I picked up a few of those words.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:10 PM   #270
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Hola! Qué tal? DeberÃ*a practicar my espanol. QuÃ*en quiere hablar conmigo? Besos Lai

Note: There may be grammatical as well as other mistakes. PLUS: I don't have the spanish N on my keyboard.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:00 PM   #271
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
No worries. I've printed them out to have a good look at them. If you don't hear from me in a few days time, indo grammar has been the death of me.
Don't die on me! I have to tell you the rest about the Indonesian affixations! (Oh yes dear, that was only the tip of the iceberg)
Quote:
How nice! I hope you'll like it. Say hi to the atomium from me.
And say hi to the Manneken Pis for me.

Ru, is 'cussing' the same as 'cursing'? When my US cousin came here, I found out that Americans use 'cursing' where we'd use 'swearing'.

Ok, posting in other languages.
Masak apa? Air?
-found it in an Indo movie I watched recently.Translates to 'Cook what? Water?', which was hilarious in that part of the movie.

Var är han?
In practically every Swedish movie I've watched. Also common to Swedish movies- murder or some other felony.

Last edited by Linaewen : 08-26-2003 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:47 PM   #272
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Ru, is 'cussing' the same as 'cursing'? When my US cousin came here, I found out that Americans use 'cursing' where we'd use 'swearing'.
"cursing", "cussing"... all pretty much mean the same thing here... bad words. "Swearing" is not really used much, but is understood as the same thing as "cussing" or "cursing".
Old 08-27-2003, 11:40 AM   #273
Jonathan

Quote:
I am going to Brussels for a couple of days
Belgian French is better than 'French' French. I am thinking of French numbers. When the French say e.g 'quatre-vingt-dix-neuf' (meaning 99), the Belgians say 'nonante-neuf'. Much more convenient and much easier to understand for a foreigner.
I really appreciated the Belgians way of counting when I was in Brussels and stood in the line in a McDonald's resaurant. The cashier told me that I would have to pay 'septante' euros instead of the more complicated 'soixante-dix'

Have fun in Brussels Lalaith!
If you ever find yourself looking for a bar, look for a little place called the 'Drug Opera' (I know, the name is a little weird ). Very nice place indeed!
Quote:
Var är han?
In practically every Swedish movie I've watched. Also common to Swedish movies- murder or some other felony.
Här är jag
Murder? Felony? Of course you have to pick the cruelest Swedish movies to watch
Old 08-27-2003, 12:54 PM   #274
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Belgian French is better than 'French' French. I am thinking of French numbers. When the French say e.g 'quatre-vingt-dix-neuf' (meaning 99), the Belgians say 'nonante-neuf'. Much more convenient and much easier to understand for a foreigner.
I really appreciated the Belgians way of counting when I was in Brussels and stood in the line in a McDonald's resaurant. The cashier told me that I would have to pay 'septante' euros instead of the more complicated 'soixante-dix'

Have fun in Brussels Lalaith!
If you ever find yourself looking for a bar, look for a little place called the 'Drug Opera' (I know, the name is a little weird ). Very nice place indeed!
I am not able to understand and speak French at all. No matter which form of French. But I have heard that their way of counting is much easier.

I'll see what I can do if we go out.

Won't you talk Spanish to me, Jon? I know that you are able to speak Spanish (better than I do).
Old 08-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #275
Jonathan

Quote:
Won't you talk Spanish to me, Jon? I know that you are able to speak Spanish (better than I do).
Si, si, claro que si. Y tengo que utilizar mi español por que no quiero le olvidar.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:52 AM   #276
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:

Här är jag
¡Qué lástima! No es a tú a quien dirijo la palabra, sino a su amiga.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:06 AM   #277
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hablo un poco Español también. No sé mucho palabras.

Wooo boy! You have no idea how much time it took for me to wrangle those two sentences from my throat. Am definately in need of much practise.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:21 AM   #278
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Okay, I try to post a Spanish sentence now. Will take me hours.

Hola! Fue a el oculista hoy. Mis ojos no se convertio peor. Soy feliz.
Que hacen hoy?
Hasta luego
Lai

(I hope you could understand the second sentence).

Another question:
What plug-ins do they use in Brussels?
Old 08-28-2003, 12:04 PM   #279
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
... when I was in Brussels and stood in the line in a McDonald's resaurant. The cashier told me that I would have to pay 'septante' euros instead of the more complicated 'soixante-dix'
ACK!! Vous mangez chez McDonald's? EEEEWWW!!! Ne vous attandez pas a ce que je mange la, si vous visitez ici.
Mon Dieu!!! Soixante-dix!!! Que avez vous achete?
Old 08-28-2003, 12:42 PM   #280
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
ACK!! Vous mangez chez McDonald's? EEEEWWW!!! Ne vous attandez pas a ce que je mange la, si vous visitez ici.
VoilÃ* quelqu'une qui n'a jamais mangez the frites belges/français avec beaucoup de mayonnaise
Et les Big Mac français sont fantastiques.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Mon Dieu!!! Soixante-dix!!! Que avez vous achete?
Oh la la! Je n'ai pas payé soixante-dix euros! Ce que j'ai voulu dire, c'est que quand on m'a fait la monnaie de soixante-dix cents, on m'a dit "septante cents"
Closed Thread