Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 06:46 PM   #261
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

YAY!!!! I did IT!! I found out how to make it smaller!! I was writing too much on a page! here is another one:
Attached Images
File Type: gif bbbb3.gif (8.9 KB, 22 views)
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Old 11-04-2002, 06:53 PM   #262
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Here is my last one for now! Write soon!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif ccc1.gif (9.1 KB, 18 views)
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Old 11-04-2002, 08:47 PM   #263
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Here is another.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ddd1.gif (7.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-04-2002, 08:53 PM   #264
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hey, congrats! You got it working!

"A" is:
hello entmooters!
Hi back!

"B" is:
hello entmooters! right now I am using a ball point pen, but I am hoping to get a new pen soon. how is m tengwar koming along? ms. undomial
it's great!!

I printed out "C" but can't get to it yet... catch you later! It looks great!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-04-2002, 08:56 PM   #265
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Rian- Thanks!
Old 11-04-2002, 09:58 PM   #266
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

oh shoot - now you have a "D", too! I can't keep up with you! Isn't it fun?! *RÃ*an shouts into family room from computer room: "kids, you don't REALLY want dinner, do you? Can't mommy stay on the computer a little longer?" * Heelllllppp, TC and katya and sminty and earniel and menelvagor!!!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-04-2002, 10:08 PM   #267
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

WHat do you mean by "oh shoot - now you have a "D", too! "?? I have found that tengwar is very fun and once you have the alphabet you start writing, and eventually you have it memorized! I Started doing it 10/31 and I have practilly all memorized exept the and, and of. write soon!
Old 11-04-2002, 10:21 PM   #268
TinuvielChild
Padawan

D is
Hello Entmooters! How is life? Life is pretty good here! How is my Tengwar coming along?

You know, if you bothered to read the previous posts on this thread, you'd know that
  1. you use carriers for all the independent vowels, not just e's
  2. there is a letter for the combination "ng"
  3. There are ways to do double letters, which I myself asked about at least once.
  4. RÃ*an already posted the way to get things down to 10K for me.
  5. There's a symbol for a silent e at the end of words such as "here"

Anyway, it was pretty good! Glad to know we're contaminating the rest of the world with our Tengwar scribblings!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!

Last edited by TinuvielChild : 11-04-2002 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:23 PM   #269
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Oh, and no, I didn't get comments from my teacher on the Tengwar on the test; I translated it on a separate sheet of paper, erased the Tengwar, and copied it back over. I was pretty embarrassed, though!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 01:22 AM   #270
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Undomial
WHat do you mean by "oh shoot - now you have a "D", too! "?? I have found that tengwar is very fun and once you have the alphabet you start writing, and eventually you have it memorized! I Started doing it 10/31 and I have practilly all memorized exept the and, and of. write soon!
All I meant was that you're posting attachments faster than I can respond to them I was referring to your "ddd1" attachment as "D". I'm really excited that we have another "Tengwar" person here on the thread!

TC listed some of the finer points that we all use, but you certainly have the basics down. Also, I would add that there is a symbol for "th". And TC - what about our beloved s-curls??? Ms. U - I'll write one of your posts the way that I would have written it to show you what we mean. (BTW - notice that we read your writing just fine - these are just some comments from people that enjoy Tengwar and know some more details about it, and we wanted to share them with you, ok ) I'll try to get it to you tonight, but it will be tomorrow at the latest.

Old 11-05-2002, 01:52 AM   #271
Rían

OK, here's how I would have written your "C". I also added a sentence at the bottom showing an s-curl - it's a downward curl attached to the end of a tengwa that indicates an 's'. It is usually more common at the end of a word, but it can be used anywhere in the word. I like putting them only at the end, because I like to really make them with a flourish. So the last sentence would be "and we all like s kurls!"

Oh, also in your "C", you wrote "difference" as "differenke" - instead of "differense" - I think you probably just used the 'k' sound for 'c' instead of the 's' sound.

PLEEZZEE don't take this as us criticizing you! We are just trying to share info with you that we have already learned about, and that we think will enhance your enjoyment, too!

Notes on individual words in my post -

3rd word, 1st sentence is "all" - note the tilde symbol inside the "L" tengwa, which indicates that the tengwa should be doubled. (You'll also see the doubling symbol in "difference" under the 'f' tengwa.)

last word in first sentence is "one". See how it is all in the same vertical column? That's another thing that I think is really cool about how your write Tengwar - it has a vertical aspect to it. You always read from top down, so you get 'o', then 'n', then the symbol for a silent final 'e', which is a dot under the tengwa. I sometimes write "one" as "wun", too, depending upon my mood - it's really more phonetically correct.

2nd word, 2nd sentence - "iz" for "is" - either is correct and also readable, I just like 'iz' better because it sounds more like how we say "is" and it looks prettier to me!

final word, 3rd sentence - "kurls" - shows the s-curl.

2nd word, 3rd sentence - "we" - I write it as 'w' then I double the 'e' symbol to indicate it's a long sound. You can double 'e', 'o' and 'u' to show long pronunciation, but not 'a' or 'i' - you have to put those on a long carrier.

Old 11-05-2002, 01:54 AM   #272
Rían

whoops - forgot the attachment!!

here it is: I'll keep an eye on the thread tomorrow for your reponse

ps - it's helpful to me if you can keep your writing on the left half of the page - otherwise, my printer cuts off the left edge . But I can work around it if you don't want to do that.
Attached Images
File Type: gif rians-dgif.gif (6.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Rían : 11-05-2002 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:18 PM   #273
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Rian- I just took a quick look at it; I will read it later! gotta go to school!
Old 11-05-2002, 04:57 PM   #274
katya
Elven Maiden

Hey cool i looked at your last post, Rian, on paint, and it was so much easier to read. wow. your writing is really nice. you too Ms. Undomial. keep it up.

kan yu tell the diffrence between this pen and the ballpoint one? how is my tengwar koming along?
Old 11-07-2002, 01:19 AM   #275
Rían

Thanks, katya! Any hopes of you getting a scanner for Christmas?? I'd sure like to see some of your writing!

How did you look at it in paint? I just click on the name to see them. Did you save it somehow then open it in paint, or am I misunderstanding you??

Ms. U - Let me know if my comments made any sense to you when you get a chance. I'd especially like to get you started on s-curls, because we all love them so much here!!

Old 11-07-2002, 01:35 PM   #276
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an

Ms. U - Let me know if my comments made any sense to you when you get a chance. I'd especially like to get you started on s-curls, because we all love them so much here!!

Rian- THey sort of made sense. I saw the S curls, I will try them on my next page of tengwar and I will show it to you....... catch ya later!
Old 11-07-2002, 05:58 PM   #277
katya
Elven Maiden

RÃ*an, probably not. My mom has been increasingly un-consumeristic and i doubt i will be getting much this year at all. Actually though one thing I am getting is a portion af a llama for some family in South America. It's a cool program. Maybe there is a scanner at school I could use...hm...

I wrote all these messages to myself in Tengwar and it's fun to go back and read them. Today I found the lyrics to "The Road Goes Ever On and On" or whatever it's called, and a "vote for seth" from Homecoming elections. It's cool.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:07 PM   #278
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Okay, people, sometime tonight or tomorrow I'll post this one I doodled in History class on some extra paper. I originally did it in pencil, but pencil doesn't show up well on my scanner, so I went over it in fine-point Sharpie. Nota Bene: there are two bits that are in the Quenya mode, so if you stumble, try it in Quenya. Of course, by the time you get to the elvish bit, you should recognize it, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. I'll scan it when I get back around 9, yeah?

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-07-2002, 06:24 PM   #279
Rían

TC - okie dokie!

katya - too bad about the scanner, but great about the llama! My kids' school is doing something similar this year thru Samaritan's Purse - Franklin Graham's organization. Great ideas for giving!! We have SO much here in the U.S., let's help some others out.

Old 11-08-2002, 11:53 PM   #280
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Okay, here be attachment 1! Enjoy it, my friends.
Attached Images
File Type: gif mibt.gif (7.5 KB, 24 views)

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Closed Thread