Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:03 AM   #261
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Just asking, snakes?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #262
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Yes? A couple of pythons and a boa. They were kept away from the cat, though.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #263
Jonathan

Yeah well, I feel sorry for any rats around
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #264
Nerdanel

Hehe.. Yeah, I think the only rats around are in the freezer..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #265
Nerdanel

I'm happy because:

1. the astronomy teacher showed us this animation, depicting what it might look like when in 3 billion years, our galaxy collides with the slightly larger Andromeda galaxy. I wish I could see that.. Not from the Earth, though, it'll be too hot a place at that point.
2. I found a part of myself that I've missed, and it makes life a lot easier. It's funny how much attitude can affect your productivity.
3. Every year, the number of people signing out of the Lutheran Church of Finland increases. Last year about 1% of the population signed out: that's about 40,000 persons. Just below 5% of all 18-year old persons signed out: this is the age at which you can sign out without your parents' permission. With your parents' permission you can sign out at the age of 16. The procedure has become easier now that you can do it online.

Yay!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #266
Nautipus
Kraken King

They combine to form one huge SUPER-GALAXY bent on universal domination!

And why are you glad that people are signing out of the Lutheran Church (I'm not saying: "Oh my Lord! How could you?!" or anything i was just wondering.)

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Old 02-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #267
Nerdanel

XD Indeed.. Would be so cool to see Andromeda approaching, though.. What a night sky..

I'm glad, because it might send a signal to the church and the state that making people part of a church when they're only a month old might not be the right thing to do: in Finland, state and church are not separated. I don't mind people being religious, I do mind states having an official religion. Believe what you will, but don't force it on anyone.
It also shows that it was a good thing to get the signing out-application online: makes it easier for lazy people to sign out. And those lazy people are a considerable fraction of the 81,7% that still belong to the church.
And, last but not least, it shows that the church expresses opinions that don't fit with the opinions of these people. Which, actually, makes me really happy.

Good enough?

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page

Last edited by Nerdanel : 02-11-2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: forgot the percentage..X)
Old 02-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #268
Nautipus
Kraken King

Indeed. State religions never end well....they never even make it halfway well.....20 minutes, that's how far they get with consensus, really.

That would be a night sky, though.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Old 02-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #269
Mari
Elf Lady

I'm so happy! I had a friend over for dinner and we finally watched the Nodame Cantabile Winter Special!!! And Chiaki finally sort of confessed his feelings for Nodame and kissed her! Took him 13 episodes and an additional 4 hour special to do it, but still. *beams*

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 02-11-2008, 11:28 PM   #270
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I made it through my day. Got up at 7 a.m. and was all over the place till I got home just now at 9 p.m. I am hardcore!!!!!

Didn't think I was going to make it a few times, but I pulled through. I had classes, meetings, two group organization meetings... it was nuts.

Now I'm completely exhausted. Ugh. Bed time.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:40 AM   #271
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Happy Darwin Day!
February 12

To celebrate the birthday of the man who came up with "simply the best idea anyone has ever had".

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 02-12-2008, 04:11 AM   #272
Nerdanel

Happy Darwin day to you all!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-12-2008, 05:38 AM   #273
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Saw second episode of Life in Cold Blood. Wheeeee! Frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs frogs!

Happy Darwin Day!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #274
Nerdanel

Today is the birthday of two persons who have greatly affected my life indirectly: it's 199 years since Charles Darwin was born and 19 years since my sister Emma was born. Next year they would've turned 200 and 20, so let's leave the the celebrations to then.. Lots of other things to do now. X)

And I'll watch the first part of Life in Cold Blood tonight, after the visit to the observatory..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #275
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Happy Birthdays, anyway.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #276
Nerdanel

Oh Yes.

Life in Cold Blood with Attenborough.. No better way to celebrate Darwin Day! Such great stuff..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #277
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Tell me about it.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #278
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
Today is the birthday of two persons who have greatly affected my life indirectly: it's 199 years since Charles Darwin was born and 19 years since my sister Emma was born.
The birth of your sister only affected your life indirectly?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #279
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*hands a frog a flower and sends it over the pond to Earniel*

Happy happy! Yesterday we bought a "toy hauler"! Now I can go quad camping with the family!!!

We've always been big campers, along with many of our friends. Camping with a bunch of friends is one of the best experiences in the world, IMHO We tented it for years, then finally bought a tent trailer because that was very helpful with my chronic illness issues and with my middle son's handicaps (gives you a potty and a place to wash up, more comfy to rest in, etc. etc.), then an ancient travel trailer for the longer trips (lets you stop on the road and use the potty and make lunch on the road, and easily stay for one night somewhere instead of having to open up a tent trailer).

Then when we moved to Arizona, my husband and his brother did something that they've wanted to do for YEARS - bought some quads. They and the kids LOVE going quadding. But it's just too difficult for me to go without some kind of trailer to rest in when I get a bad fit, and if you're pulling a quad trailer, you can't pull a regular trailer, too. So we started looking at "toy haulers" (trailers that are specially made to haul quads inside - the couches and beds go up against the wall; the floors are wash-down material, etc.) and found one we loved, but of course it was rather expensive. So I kept looking, and talking to the people, and since the economy here is rather down, it's a buyer's market. So last night I went by one more time to check out one more feature, and basically said "the kids have two days off school next week and we want to go camping - give me a number to take to my husband so he'll say yes!", and they checked their inventory and found a 2007 model that was still brand-new, but FOUR THOUSAND dollars LESS!!! And because of the buyer's market, the financing was also incredibly good, and by trading in our two other trailers (which they probably wouldn't have taken in a seller's market) we got rid of them AND knocked down the price quite a bit more, so ... we got it! An absolutely brand-new toy hauler, with everything I wanted in it (because we typically go with extended family, I always keep an eye to how something will work with a crowd) and at an absolutely AMAZING price! And now I can go quadding with the family, and go into my lovely trailer when I have to lie down I'm so happy! I just love camping, and how it brings family and friends together out in God's beautiful creation.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #280
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an View Post
*hands a frog a flower and sends it over the pond to Earniel*

Happy happy! Yesterday we bought a "toy hauler"! Now I can go quad camping with the family!!!

We've always been big campers, along with many of our friends. Camping with a bunch of friends is one of the best experiences in the world, IMHO We tented it for years, then finally bought a tent trailer because that was very helpful with my chronic illness issues and with my middle son's handicaps (gives you a potty and a place to wash up, more comfy to rest in, etc. etc.), then an ancient travel trailer for the longer trips (lets you stop on the road and use the potty and make lunch on the road, and easily stay for one night somewhere instead of having to open up a tent trailer).

Then when we moved to Arizona, my husband and his brother did something that they've wanted to do for YEARS - bought some quads. They and the kids LOVE going quadding. But it's just too difficult for me to go without some kind of trailer to rest in when I get a bad fit, and if you're pulling a quad trailer, you can't pull a regular trailer, too. So we started looking at "toy haulers" (trailers that are specially made to haul quads inside - the couches and beds go up against the wall; the floors are wash-down material, etc.) and found one we loved, but of course it was rather expensive. So I kept looking, and talking to the people, and since the economy here is rather down, it's a buyer's market. So last night I went by one more time to check out one more feature, and basically said "the kids have two days off school next week and we want to go camping - give me a number to take to my husband so he'll say yes!", and they checked their inventory and found a 2007 model that was still brand-new, but FOUR THOUSAND dollars LESS!!! And because of the buyer's market, the financing was also incredibly good, and by trading in our two other trailers (which they probably wouldn't have taken in a seller's market) we got rid of them AND knocked down the price quite a bit more, so ... we got it! An absolutely brand-new toy hauler, with everything I wanted in it (because we typically go with extended family, I always keep an eye to how something will work with a crowd) and at an absolutely AMAZING price! And now I can go quadding with the family, and go into my lovely trailer when I have to lie down I'm so happy! I just love camping, and how it brings family and friends together out in God's beautiful creation.
THAT is utterly fabulous, Rian!

I so wanted a camper to travel last summer, but my vehicle laughed at me.

I'm really happy for you.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Closed Thread