Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #261
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Lief: Abortion is the most crucial moral issue facing our country, from my perspective, and is far more important than poverty.

Brownjenkins: Abortion is one, if not the, most overrated non-issue in US politics.
Although I have to agree with BJ, I realise that's because I don't consider abortion to be equal to mass murder.

Lief, I think I've yet to reply to a post of yours. I'll do that when I have more time.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #262
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
IT depends on what the person is saying.

Your sentence seemed to indiate that ALL gay families are good families, and I thought that's what hector was saying was wrong. I suppose it would be fairly easy to prove that NOT all gay families are good families by finding someone in a gay family who has abused their kid.
Hector suggested banning all gay adoption. He also seems to imply that gay families, per se, are not good.

I say many gay families, whether by birth or adoption, are good families, and should, at the least, be assessed on the same basis as other families.

An argument might be made that there are no good families, I suppose. But still, that wouldn't be a gay issue.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #263
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Its not a gay issue. Its a religious issue.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 04-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #264
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
I care that kids get good families too, but I disagree with that last sentence.
Quote:
Adam Pertman, executive director of the Donaldson Institute, an adoption policy-research organization, and author of Adoption Nation. "The evidence on the ground, based on the markers that we have, is that these are good families," he says. "The social workers I talk to are asking how they can recruit more [gay parents], because they're working. That's the best validation I can think of, unless you think all these child welfare professionals are out to harm kids."
But it would be better to see for yourself, imo.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #265
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Its not a gay issue. Its a religious issue.
I believe there are people whose religion suggests that children stuck in foster care or abandoned entirely are better off than children in stable families that aren't composed of men married to women.

I don't agree with them, though, and it would be my opinion that if they're counting on Jesus to back them up on it, they'll be surprised when they meet Him face to face.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #266
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
eh, it's not "unnecessarily mean" - it's personal insults, and it's not necessarily Lief or you, it's ANYONE that I think is being personally insulted by ANYONE. There's a lady here that hates my guts and has told me so many times to my (virtual) face, yet I've defended her before and would do so again in a second if I thought she was being wrongly attacked. I didn't see the liar thing from Lief, though - I was staying away from that thread for awhile and missed it, I guess.

The smilies help - typed communication is hard!!!
I was quite serious, and not smily or winky. He interpreted my words correctly. My accusation, and the evidence supporting it, is on posts 60 and 63 of the Gender Issues Thread.

I see there as being a difference between saying something insulting just to tear someone else down, and saying something insulting with evidence to support it rather than just words, not for the stupid purpose of being insulting but rather in order to protect people one cares about from making the mistake of believing someone who is purposefully lying to them, to the possible damage of other people. I believe my insult was just and the thing I was morally compelled to say, in those circumstances I was in.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 04-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #267
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I was quite serious, and not smily or winky. He interpreted my words correctly. My accusation, and the evidence supporting it, is on posts 60 and 63 of the Gender Issues Thread.

I see there as being a difference between saying something insulting just to tear someone else down, and saying something insulting with evidence to support it rather than just words, not for the stupid purpose of being insulting but rather in order to protect people one cares about from making the mistake of believing someone who is purposefully lying to them, to the possible damage of other people. I believe my insult was just and the thing I was morally compelled to say, in those circumstances I was in.
But in this, as in so many other things, you're wrong. And wrong in that consistant "It's up to Lief to pick what's real and enforce it ' way that rubs me the wrong way everywhere...so I'm not at my best trying to cope with it.

Honestly, Lief, this is the internet. If I emailed everyone my home phone number, I still could not prove that the person who answered the phone was "me." So what possible hope can you give me that I could "prove I'm not Earl"

Could anyone respond to this who sees how absurd it is? And really, I resent being held to a standard that NO ONE else has to meet.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #268
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Location: Confusion Lane, on the back of a dragon, or on horseback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
While I believe that it is just as possible for a gay family to be a horrible family as it is for them to be a great family, the same could be said of any heterosexual family.
Haven't looked at the last page yet, don't know if you are still talking about this, but I agree in full with this.

Edgar Alan Poe and Oscar Wilde rock. They are actually better than rocks.
Beautiful Soup
and A Tomato Ate My Sister are the most educational and intellectual songs ever created, challenging the scholarly power of the great philosophers.

On TB's sig, Don't worry about the world ending today, tomorrow, or next week, just worry about it ending now.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #269
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
But in this, as in so many other things, you're wrong. And wrong in that consistant "It's up to Lief to pick what's real and enforce it ' way that rubs me the wrong way everywhere...so I'm not at my best trying to cope with it.

Honestly, Lief, this is the internet. If I emailed everyone my home phone number, I still could not prove that the person who answered the phone was "me." So what possible hope can you give me that I could "prove I'm not Earl"

Could anyone respond to this who sees how absurd it is? And really, I resent being held to a standard that NO ONE else has to meet.
Technically you cauld prove it, if you incited everyone to your house and had the FBI and had Leif call your house from his cell phone and you answer in front of his face. That would be, lets say, overboard extreme though.

Beautiful Soup
and A Tomato Ate My Sister are the most educational and intellectual songs ever created, challenging the scholarly power of the great philosophers.

On TB's sig, Don't worry about the world ending today, tomorrow, or next week, just worry about it ending now.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #270
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Quote:
What standard? Being Earl? And what exactly so disturbingly absurd?

Beautiful Soup

Old 04-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #271
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I don't care if SisterandCousinandAunt is really Katherine Zeta Jones. For all I know, Lief is a 40 year old man and Hector is a teenage girl (well... okay... maybe not ).

This thread has nothing to do with whether anyone here is who they say they are. Let us focus, rather, on the actual topics which are being debated.

Again, if Lief can present evidence to back his claims, then it doesn't really matter if he's a college student or a fifteen year old pop-singer. Same goes for everyone else.

Lets try to return to the debate at hand .
Old 04-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #272
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Good idea.

I think I've got nothing more to respond to, at the moment .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 04-11-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #273
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
In the end, an insult is only an insult if you let it be.

Also, most people respond in insulting ways when you hit too close to home on a subject they are touchy about. It's a common human defense system against things one doesn't necessarily want to admit about ones self.

Better to just let them go, or just laugh them off.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #274
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Gwaimir, here's a segment from a BBC article that recently came up. It shows a contrast that I've always seen, between the views of Democrats and Republicans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News
The US Senate has voted to ease restrictions on using federal funds for stem-cell research, defying the threat of a veto by President George W Bush.

The Democrat-controlled Senate passed the vote with a majority of 63 to 24 - just short of the two-thirds required to override a presidential veto.

Mr Bush has said he will use his powers to veto the Senate's vote. He vetoed a similar draft bill last year.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #275
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
I don't care if SisterandCousinandAunt is really Katherine Zeta Jones. For all I know, Lief is a 40 year old man and Hector is a teenage girl (well... okay... maybe not ).

This thread has nothing to do with whether anyone here is who they say they are. Let us focus, rather, on the actual topics which are being debated.

Again, if Lief can present evidence to back his claims, then it doesn't really matter if he's a college student or a fifteen year old pop-singer. Same goes for everyone else.

Lets try to return to the debate at hand .
*applauds*

And just to be on topic: there is one divorce in my family, fairly recent...but that's all I'll say. Still too fresh.

p.s. Very funny Tessar

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 04-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #276
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
And just to be on topic: there is one divorce in my family, fairly recent...but that's all I'll say. Still too fresh.
I'm really sorry to hear that, Hector .

Old 04-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #277
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Gwaimir, here's a segment from a BBC article that recently came up. It shows a contrast that I've always seen, between the views of Democrats and Republicans.
It also shows that a lot of republicans voted with the democrats.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #278
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
I'm really sorry to hear that, Hector .
What a coincidence: me too

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 04-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #279
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
It also shows that a lot of republicans voted with the democrats.
A significant number, yes, but that position certainly was nowhere near the consensus of the party.
Quote:
What a coincidence: me too

Old 04-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #280
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

The Stem Cell bill

was co-authored by a Republican, Congressman Mike Castle. He made a funny remark, recently, when he showed up in the context of that GSA violation of the Hatch Act.

"In his Tuesday letter, Castle asked how and why the list was compiled and what other agencies have received such a briefing.

"I do not condone this practice and I do not appreciate being drawn into this situation," he wrote. "I request that the White House removes my name and Congressional District from this and other similar lists."

Castle said Tuesday that he does not need help from the White House -- or Bush -- in any event.

"It's hard to make the argument that he's a strong asset at this point," Castle said. "Typically, I run my own campaigns. I'm certainly not depending on President Bush or anyone else other than myself."

"If the White House really wants to help me, they could talk with me about some of the things I've been talking about with Iraq or not vetoing my stem cell research legislation," Castle said."

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...0367/1006/NEWS

Gotta love people who can think for themselves.
Closed Thread