Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 03:46 PM   #261
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Random: Yay! *hugs R*an*

Yeah, no pressure to be as long-winded... erm I mean verbose... erm whatever... as I was.

We're happy to hear from you or to let someone else go. It's up to you buddy.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 10-26-2004, 03:47 PM   #262
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
Yes...why did it make sense? You must tell us WHY! Otherwise your not really telling us much!
Uh-oh... something tells me Lizzie went first so she can grill us Christians without fear of retribution!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 10-26-2004, 03:53 PM   #263
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Oh there's retribution...

Just kidding! Lizra's my buddy. I'm curious to know the 'why' as well, but bear in mind that 'it has always been so' is a perfectly good answer to 'why?'.

Sometimes, that's just how it is. Or we could explore more in depth... the detail is up to the Hot Seater. (We'll be back for you Lizra, in 100s of pages, when everyone starts going again... bwahahaha! I mean... uh...)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 10-26-2004, 04:07 PM   #264
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Random: Yay! *hugs R*an*
*huggles back*

BTW, who does want to go next? - I should really have a person "on deck", as the baseball saying goes, so we don't waste time and let the thread languish while looking for the next person. Volunteers?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-26-2004, 04:13 PM   #265
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I think it is Finrod Felagund.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-26-2004, 04:23 PM   #266
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Finrod, is that OK with you?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-26-2004, 06:39 PM   #267
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
But those two are summations of the ten... not two OF the ten!
(Starts thinking again . . .)
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 10-26-2004, 06:44 PM   #268
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
I think it would be just about the same. Some thoughts of my old belief might still linger, but I would gradually stop thinking about them.
(frowns, a little) Hmm. For me, they probably wouldn't even fade. The thing is, there are many things outside of the scripture which are true. Everything in the scripture is true, but if you believe something else about the spiritual or physical that isn't expressly expressed in the scripture, that doesn't mean it isn't true. Did I express myself well? :-[
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 10-26-2004, 07:05 PM   #269
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
I never actually 'questioned' my Christian beliefs. I've always believed in it and always will. All of it sits well with me. Still learning though.
well that is totally opposite to my beliefs but its your turn, *shaking head*...
Would you say because you have never questioned your beliefs that you have lived an ignorant life? does that not scare you one little bit?...
Lin mentioned the "good" life on the other page, and i had to study various philosophers conceptions on it for the first half of the year, so im curious what is the "Good" life for you?
Also one more question, why Catholicism over a less fundamental broader interpretation of Christianity, is it purely that it was what you were brought up with, have you ever disagreed with anything within Catholicism?
thankyou
Old 10-26-2004, 07:14 PM   #270
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
In what ways does Christianity make sense to you?

(and you don't have to answer - do you want to take more questions, or are you done?)
*thinks a while* Whoever want to take the hot seat can go. I don't understand your question.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Old 10-26-2004, 07:41 PM   #271
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millane
well that is totally opposite to my beliefs but its your turn, *shaking head*...
Would you say because you have never questioned your beliefs that you have lived an ignorant life? does that not scare you one little bit?...
Lin mentioned the "good" life on the other page, and i had to study various philosophers conceptions on it for the first half of the year, so im curious what is the "Good" life for you?
Also one more question, why Catholicism over a less fundamental broader interpretation of Christianity, is it purely that it was what you were brought up with, have you ever disagreed with anything within Catholicism?
thankyou
No, I have not lived an ignorant life.
The "good life" to me would be (and is) having God in my life and serving Him as well as having friends and family.
Well, I was brought up with it, and it all makes sense to me. I probably disagreed with some part at some time, but I can't think of anything.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Old 10-26-2004, 08:02 PM   #272
inked
Elf Lord

Meriadoc,

You have clearly examined your beliefs and grasp why they make sense to you and present them well for others.

I think Millane's point about "questioned your belief" carried a sense of "thought they were erroneous". One needn't think that to examine one's beliefs one has to assume them erroneous. One need not be scared of the possibility that the Truth is in fact known to them.

The unexamined life is not worth living was the correct statement, not the unquestioned life results in ignorance.

The absolute value that all values must be questioned is itself questionable .
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 10-26-2004, 08:27 PM   #273
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
The unexamined life is not worth living was the correct statement, not the unquestioned life results in ignorance.
correct statement for Plato perhaps, nice quote but i was asking a different question
Quote:
I think Millane's point about "questioned your belief" carried a sense of "thought they were erroneous". One needn't think that to examine one's beliefs one has to assume them erroneous. One need not be scared of the possibility that the Truth is in fact known to them.
i know which one i would hold stronger though, a "blind" belief that is held or a belief that is still held after you have questioned it thoroughly. Well theres our point of difference, Truth
Quote:
No, I have not lived an ignorant life.
Fair enough
Old 10-26-2004, 08:30 PM   #274
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millane
i know which one i would hold stronger though, a "blind" belief that is held or a belief that is still held after you have questioned it thoroughly. Well theres our point of difference, Truth
Perhaps your statement will become more acceptable if you change tje wording from "questioned" to "examined" or "meditated on".

Old 10-26-2004, 08:35 PM   #275
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Perhaps your statement will become more acceptable if you change tje wording from "questioned" to "examined" or "meditated on".
yeah perhaps, but Meriadoc used the word questioned so i thought i should use it aswell.
Quote:
One need not be scared of the possibility that the Truth is in fact known to them.
now your turn whos quote is this "Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies."
Old 10-26-2004, 09:24 PM   #276
inked
Elf Lord

Millane,

you asked, "now your turn whos quote is this "Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." "

Off the top of my head, ... George W. Bush in regard to John Kerry?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 10-26-2004, 10:33 PM   #277
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Millane,

you asked, "now your turn whos quote is this "Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." "

Off the top of my head, ... George W. Bush in regard to John Kerry?
nope sad to say i dont keep up with American politics
Old 10-27-2004, 01:04 AM   #278
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I see I was mentioned in the first post

As Rian said, she was trying to lure me here. She mentioned only once that she was holding this discussion, and I guess it was working in my brain, as here I am, and you all seem to need a volunteer.

So, I'm volunteering.

I'm not sure what is required of me for this post ... I guess I should start with my religion. You may guess I'm a Buddhist, as Rian included me in the parenthesis next to "Buddhism" in her post. I am indeed very interested in Buddhism, and I have studied it, but I am not actually Buddhist, and I call Hinduism my home.

You may thus refer to me as a Hindu I do not mean to say that I am "settling" for Hinduism, or that "Hinduism is the closest thing" to what I am. I mean to say that I am a Hindu. But to me, being a Hindu, or a Buddhist, or a Christian needn't come with all the preconceived notions bound up with the names. First and foremost, I am what I am. To me, this world, and life, and death, and holy books, and religions all come after. I believe that the only constant is that which you truly are, in your innermost, or highest, being. I am speaking of Truth, or Reality, the Ultimate Truth, the Ultimate Reality. You can name it what you want ("God" to me describes what I am talking about), I don't think the names matter.

Nor do I believe that the method or religion by which you arrive at the Truth is ultimately important. One of my fundamental beliefs is that all faiths are equal. There is one Reality, and there are many religions, and I don't see this as a problem. I think anyone can realize the Truth, whether he or she be a Hindu, or a Catholic, or an Atheist.

Well, forgive the long introduction, if it is long, I just want to present something that can give rise to enough questions.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:50 AM   #279
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

No questions yet. I'm admiring your writing style . (Admires it a little longer) Okay, ready for more .

Old 10-27-2004, 01:54 AM   #280
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Why thank you Lief.

I should apologize to you for not responding to your latest e-mail. Sorry! Maybe this discussion will make up for that.