Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-19-2006, 08:10 PM   #261
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
Pah! There is no god.......
my word against yours I would say prove me wrong but this is the wrong thread for that
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #262
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Enough Already

WE HAVE THREADS ON RELIGION AND THREAD TOPICS ON GAYS AND THIS ISN'T ONE OF THEM.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR POSTS RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC TITLE.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:28 PM   #263
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Liz, just a quick note to say: there is nothing new in what you posted.

(Sorry Spock!)

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #264
inked
Elf Lord

Discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation...in Australia!!!

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Didn't they try this in Britain and we had a discussion on why/why not ? Anyway, looks like a coming idea..............................................
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:39 PM   #265
inked
Elf Lord

ALL your children belong to us...........

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2007/aug/07081701.html

ahhh, Canada..........................
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 08-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #266
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Fear is the root of discrimination. If evolution and homosexuality are so wrong, trust in the people to learn the truth for themselves. So little respect for the children's intelligence.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:44 PM   #267
inked
Elf Lord

BJ, aren't you being a bit inconsistent?

"And, while we obviously can't make parents care, or even devise a government system that takes the place of "good" parents, we can provide a system that does a lot to make up for "bad" parents."

So these parents aren't entitled to be good parents because the government has decided what children must learn...and you happen to agree with it? Le't say that the government decided that you shouldn't teach evolution or homosex. Would you still trust the children...and the government?

Just wondering of course.....
Old 08-20-2007, 04:41 AM   #268
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

That quote comes from BJ's post about home schooling. He also said: "It's not a question of what is better, but whether a child will get education at all."
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:47 AM   #269
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I want to go to Canada, where they teach homosexuality! How do they do that? Sounds interesting, have to say. Canada is more exotic than I realized.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:08 AM   #270
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Homosexuality is discussed as an intergrated part of sex ed in other places. Is Canada any different?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #271
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

So they also teach heterosexuality? How exactly do you teach a sexuality? I might be wrong, and it might be that my English isn't perfect, but do you really say that when you talk about different sexualities, i.e. mention them etc., you teach sexualities? In my ears it sounds quite weird. And if that is what teaching homosexuality is: do the schools that don't "teach homosexuality" not even mention it, or do they just casually condemn it?

Might just be me, though.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #272
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
BJ, aren't you being a bit inconsistent?

"And, while we obviously can't make parents care, or even devise a government system that takes the place of "good" parents, we can provide a system that does a lot to make up for "bad" parents."

So these parents aren't entitled to be good parents because the government has decided what children must learn...and you happen to agree with it? Le't say that the government decided that you shouldn't teach evolution or homosex. Would you still trust the children...and the government?

Just wondering of course.....
Children should learn about everything they will experience later in life, whether good or bad. This includes homosexuality and evolution. It also includes things like comparative religions.

Put it all on the table for them and let the kids decide. If the Mennonite values are superior, they have nothing to fear by presenting alternate values that exist in our society.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #273
inked
Elf Lord

You avoid the question of government intervention because you agree with it in the case cited, BJ. What if the government requirement was that Mennonite values be taught in the schools?

And I quote, "Since being PC is really just trying to legislate morality, I'd have to agree."

Last edited by inked : 08-20-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #274
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
So they also teach heterosexuality? How exactly do you teach a sexuality?
Yeah Ive offered to teach heterosexuality myself for free many times but usually the parents dont appreciate that...

So whats the problem here exactly? They dont want to risk their kids learning to be open minded about homosexuality or being made aware what a ridiculous myth creationism is so they want to leave. Problem solved. Why the fuss? Move to Kansas would be my advice. They tend to embrace ignorance and bigotry when it comes to education. Its a proud american tradition in fact.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:20 PM   #275
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
You avoid the question of government intervention because you agree with it in the case cited, BJ. What if the government requirement was that Mennonite values be taught in the schools?

And I quote, "Since being PC is really just trying to legislate morality, I'd have to agree."
If Mennonite values were a big part of a given community, it would make sense to teach their values. But not to the exclusion of all else. I'd do it in a comparative religions or philosophy class.

I've argued in the past that I think a course which studies all the major religions of the world should be just as much required as History or Science (when I went to high school, it was only an optional half-year elective). Religion, in all it's flavors, is a big part of our world, and children should be exposed to it's many forms.

But homosexuality is also a part of our world, as is evolutionary theory. The role of school is to fill in all those gaps about our world that children don't get at home. This doesn't mean we have to teach our children about every obscure cultural practice that exists in our world, but to not cover the main ones for no other reason than an irrational fear that the children might actually come to understand them is irresponsible.

I am against people trying to ban certain things from being taught just because they don't agree with them.

If a hypothetical religious group had scriptual text that prohibited the practice of mathmatics, should we excuse their children from math class?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:04 PM   #276
inked
Elf Lord

That's a crazy hypothetical because taxation would never be anywhere near 99%.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:29 AM   #277
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Fascism! The government is actually demanding that science, not fairy tales, be taught in science class.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:17 AM   #278
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
That's a crazy hypothetical because taxation would never be anywhere near 99%.
How about religious groups that refuse to accept the validity of the medical practice?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:02 PM   #279
inked
Elf Lord

They die at a natural rate of natural causes. Think third world life expectancies versus first world one. Ce la vie! Que sera, sera!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #280
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Ce la vie! Que sera, sera!
I prefer to think that govenments should at least attempt to prepare their children for the real world.