Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #261
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Wow I leave for a week and you guys add 5 pages plus links. All the threads I was keeping track of have left me in the dust like a jeep running over a gila monster in arkansas.

So? cigarretes and tobbaco are responsible for global warming now ?
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #262
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Are there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
All the threads I was keeping track of have left me in the dust like a jeep running over a gila monster in arkansas.
Gila monsters in Arkansas?

Or should I say were there , before you got there.
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #263
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
Gila monsters in Arkansas?

Or should I say were there , before you got there.
At least you appreciate the irony.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #264
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

This article is an interesting new addition to the Global Warming debate, in my view. The UN apparently has taken a pretty firm stance on the scientific elements of the issue.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #265
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

From the article to which Lief linked:
Quote:
Key findings of the report include:

* 75-250 million people across Africa could face water shortages by 2020

* Crop yields increase could increase by 20% in East and Southeast Asia, but decrease by up to 30% in Central and South Asia

* Agriculture fed by rainfall could drop by 50% in some African countries by 2020

* 20-30% of all plant and animal species at increased risk of extinction if temperatures rise between 1.5-2.5C

* Glaciers and snow cover expected to decline, reducing water availability in countries supplied by melt water
Obviously, if global warming is a reality (and the article clearly states it is), it will result in enormous costs. Hopefully this new IPCC report will convince the policymakers that the warming to a great extent is man-made and also make them realize that investments to reduce these man-made factors today might save huge sums of money in the future.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #266
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I very much approve of the efforts to find and bring into common use alternate fuels. There are multiple reasons for doing that. There's Global Warming, the shrinking of world oil reserves, and the new flare ups in the Middle East that all make good reasons for doing that.

I researched the expenses necessary to stop Global Warming pretty extensively though, and they are ENORMOUS. I don't think that the Kyoto Protocols is an effective solution, because it wouldn't do anywhere near enough, even if the US, China and India all joined it, because the problem has expanded so.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 04-06-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:02 AM   #267
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

The costs for countering climate change are indeed enormous. However, as was concluded in the Stern Review (summary found here), the earlier we take action is taken, the less costly the effects will be.

Right now the cost of a few percent of GDP to counter global warming would be very expensive, but still manageable. And it would be an investment for the future. If we don't take action however, the effects of global warming would later cost us maybe 20 percent of GDP a year, which is compareable to financial disasters such as World War II or the Great Depression.

edit: It is also important to note that since global warming is already a reality, not only must we reduce the speed at which it progresses but also see to it that we adapt to the most imminent climate changes. The Stern Review deals with this aspect as well.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 04-07-2007 at 04:07 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #268
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Hector, just to let you know, though I disagree with you about Global Warming, I find it very cool that you've got the guts to take on everybody in this debate .
Agreed. But don't forget Rohirrim TR and The Telcontorian.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #269
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Agreed. But don't forget Rohirrim TR and The Telcontorian.
I didn't see their posts when I was scanning .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
The costs for countering climate change are indeed enormous. However, as was concluded in the Stern Review (summary found here), the earlier we take action is taken, the less costly the effects will be.
Huh. When I was researching this, I learned that there was a "point of no return," after which human intervention wouldn't stop Global Warming at all, for it would become essentially a self-fueled force. After a certain point, its own impact would produce the conditions that would enable it to continue, so it would spiral out of control and become unstoppable. Pretty much a doomsday estimate, but the sources for that point of no return looked pretty good. Some of groups argued that we'd already crossed that threshhold, while others put the maximum time we have left at about twenty to thirty years. I'd heard estimates that give us far less time, though.

I should probably dig these data up again.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #270
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Is 3% of GDP a price worth paying to prevent the worst effects of climate change?

(BBC news item on the latest IPCC report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6620909.stm)
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #271
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

it's your round mate ...
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:48 PM   #272
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Is 3% of GDP a price worth paying to prevent the worst effects of climate change?

(BBC news item on the latest IPCC report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6620909.stm)
*Reads it.*

Interesting article. I was under the impression that the cost would be far higher than that, but that's certainly very interesting.

I really should dig up and post my research, here. I engaged in a debate on this subject for a class in college, so I've got a lot of sources and evidence about this on my computer. I think quite a bit of what I have directly contradicts the UN experts BBC cites, but my sources might be wrong and they might be right.

I'll see what I've got and post it here, when I have time .

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 05-07-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:27 AM   #273
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Call For Culling Of Human Population

This is what the whole global warming is really about:

http://prisonplanet.com/articles/may...population.htm

C02 is not a bad gas. It has been shown, the more co2 the more plant life there would be which would result in more o2; more o2 means longer healthier life, for all wild life on the planet.

A rise in co2 always follows a rise in temperatue, not the other way around.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #274
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
This is what the whole global warming is really about:

http://prisonplanet.com/articles/may...population.htm

C02 is not a bad gas. It has been shown, the more co2 the more plant life there would be which would result in more o2; more o2 means longer healthier life, for all wild life on the planet.

A rise in co2 always follows a rise in temperatue, not the other way around.
Interesting theory, and I've certainly seen Malthusian elements as part of this debate.

I have to take issue with the "co2 good gas" theory, though. As a mammal, rather than an Aspen, I'm in favor of oxygen over co2. As a member of the species that does the most playing around with my environment, I'm constrained to acknowledge that we've paved, logged and generally spoken for a lot of the area that might ordinarily have gone into restoring a balance between the two. This presents real challenges, particularly when we start discussing where we would like the oxygen to come from and it revives a lot of issues around colonialism. Many countries with rain forest, for example, want to know why they should remain without development opportunities so that people in the US can eat beef and run their air-conditioning all the time. I think that's a fair question. Henry George, an American economist who devoted most of his work to a theory of how land use policies could more equitably reflect social justice, talked about this as "the disappearance of the frontier". Everyone had big fun as long as the population could push out and start in on new land, but what happens when the land is all accounted for? How do you credit the work of people who didn't happen to grab some first? Have we, as a species currently confined to one planet, just about reached our "frontier"?

My suspicion is, based on what I know of history, that poor and disadvantaged people will wind up bearing the brunt of either global warming OR efforts to slow it down. People do not have trouble getting the new Lexus through emissions testing, I notice. They even have special dispensations for rich people cars. So the solutions are still in flux.

But what is the downside to carrying reusable grocery bags and using lower wattage bulbs? Even professional environmentalists get snarky about corporate "greenwashing" (I could link you, to hear them whine ) but surely discussion of our impact is good by any standard. It's the "examined life", kwim?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #275
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
But what is the downside to carrying reusable grocery bags and using lower wattage bulbs?
This is a key point. Even if global warming was all hogwash, we live on a planet of limited resources. Things which we can't simply create out of thin air. It is also doubtful that technology will advance anywhere near enough in the next few hundred years to be able to reasonable gather these things from off-planet.

Basically, we are ultimately screwed no matter what we do, but some conservation now will extend the lifespan of our current race dramatically.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #276
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Global warming debunked

By ANDREW SWALLOW - The Timaru Herald | Saturday, 19 May 2007

Climate change will be considered a joke in five years time, meteorologist Augie Auer told the annual meeting of Mid Canterbury Federated Farmers in Ashburton this week.

Man's contribution to the greenhouse gases was so small we couldn't change the climate if we tried, he maintained.

"We're all going to survive this. It's all going to be a joke in five years," he said.

A combination of misinterpreted and misguided science, media hype, and political spin had created the current hysteria and it was time to put a stop to it.

"It is time to attack the myth of global warming," he said.

Water vapour was responsible for 95 per cent of the greenhouse effect, an effect which was vital to keep the world warm, he explained.

"If we didn't have the greenhouse effect the planet would be at minus 18 deg C but because we do have the greenhouse effect it is plus 15 deg C, all the time."

The other greenhouse gases: carbon dioxide, methane, nitrogen dioxide, and various others including CFCs, contributed only five per cent of the effect, carbon dioxide being by far the greatest contributor at 3.6 per cent.

However, carbon dioxide as a result of man's activities was only 3.2 per cent of that, hence only 0.12 per cent of the greenhouse gases in total. Human-related methane, nitrogen dioxide and CFCs etc made similarly minuscule contributions to the effect: 0.066, 0.047 and 0.046 per cent respectively.

"That ought to be the end of the argument, there and then," he said.

"We couldn't do it (change the climate) even if we wanted to because water vapour dominates."

Yet the Greens continued to use phrases such as "The planet is groaning under the weight of CO2" and Government policies were about to hit industries such as farming, he warned.

"The Greens are really going to go after you because you put out 49 per cent of the countries emissions. Does anybody ask 49 per cent of what? Does anybody know how small that number is?

"It's become a witch-hunt; a Salem witch-hunt," he said.

The original link is here

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #277
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Interesting theory, and I've certainly seen Malthusian elements as part of this debate.

I have to take issue with the "co2 good gas" theory, though. As a mammal, rather than an Aspen, I'm in favor of oxygen over co2.
*applause*

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #278
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

One nutcase rehashing already-dismissed arguments based on half-truths versus thousands of scientists. Hmmm.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #279
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

You know, for a few minutes I was nigh convinced that that prisonplanet article was an article out of the Onion...
Old 05-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #280
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Might as well be.