Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 08:20 PM   #261
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Do you think evolutionists in general are still looking for transitionals in the fossil record, to your knowledge?
Actually, it would be paleontologists looking for them, and that would never be the primary goal of a fossil hunt. Working paleos look for correlation with known fossil types. Outlyers, new finds, oddities, etc are prized but certainly not helpful in identifying strata. Paleobiologist and paleobotanists might be more inclined to be concerned with these types because they would be strictly acedemic. Evolutionist is not an actual title, I don't think (maybe evolutionary biologist?).

So my original point still stands as the Parker quote clearly implies people have given up the hope of finding transitionals.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-10-2003, 12:23 PM   #262
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Just to make sure we all agree on the definitions , from
Biotech's Life Science Dictionary

Quote:
1. microevolution (adj. microevolutionary)
Definition:
Evolution on a molecular level (changes within DNA, i.e. mutations), an individual organism level (DNA recombination, chromosomal mutations, reproduction, natural selection, etc.), and a population level (genetic drifts, phyletic shifts, founder effects, etc.).

1. macroevolution (adj. macroevolutionary)
Definition:
Evolution on a species level (speciation and extinction) and at higher taxonomic classifications (appearance and disappearance of genuses, families, orders, etc
http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/pages/dictionary.html

Is this acceptable?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 07-10-2003, 07:17 PM   #263
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
... From very early human history there has been a relationship between humans and marine molluscs and arthropods which can be summarized as "yum, yum , yum". ...
This just cracked me up!

I've been looking into fossil layering and should be able to post tomorrow (my parents are taking the little ones for a few hours - yay!) That's a very good question, IMO, that several of you have asked, about where are the horses, cats, etc., and I've been researching it, and have found some good stuff on it.

(I don't quite get the point of your post, GM, but that line was sure funny!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 07-10-2003, 07:21 PM   #264
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Is this acceptable?
Those defs are fine with me, GM, as long as it means that macroevolution includes such things as man coming from a fishy-type-thing in an unbroken line of short changes.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 07-12-2003, 01:17 PM   #265
Rían

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, but I've just reached a point where I need a short break. In order to keep up with the post load of being in a minority position, I've really neglected the Tolkien threads, and love of Tolkien's work is why I came here in the first place. The last couple of days have been like a much-needed breath of fresh air - I played in the Quote thread, discussed points, obscure (why does Turgon have a heart on his shield?) and otherwise, in the ME and Sil threads, and chatted in other threads. I'm doing research on the fossil distribution question and have chatted with a PhD-holding public relations rep at ICR on this question and am getting together some links, as opposed to books/publications, so you guys can read them. I'll post sometime w/in the next 2 weeks. See you guys on the other threads! and I look forward to continuing this discussion, with anyone that wants to, after a bit of a break and some refreshment on the Tolkien threads. His work is so incredibly beautiful, isn't it?

Old 07-12-2003, 04:02 PM   #266
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

ah,yes,that we cannot argue about

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Old 07-12-2003, 05:31 PM   #267
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

So...no credible evidence so far. Oh well!
Old 07-12-2003, 09:57 PM   #268
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

ok.......whatever you say!

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

Old 07-13-2003, 01:38 AM   #269
Rían

No comment on Lizra's post for now, but I had an idea -

Cirdan, since your training is in geology, I would really appreciate a bit of a tutorial on how the Cambrian, Devonian, etc. types of rock are identified. IOW, what makes a geologist wander up to a particular piece of rock and say "aha! This is Cambrian!" (I'm sure it's not quite that simple, tho! ) I didn't know anything about it before this discussion, and I've been looking into it a bit, but now that I have found out we have a uni-degree'd Geology Mooter among us , could you give us some info on that topic, please? I'd like to hear about it. I enjoy learning new things. My uni-training in the sciences was in physics and chemistry, and I never had formal training in geology.

BTW, in our Arizona property near the Grand Cyn, we have lots of little geodes! Fun to *smash* open and see the pretty insides

Old 07-13-2003, 01:42 AM   #270
Rían

Re: Re: Evidence for creationism #1a - the fossil record

Quote:
And if I may repeat my earlier question, what on earth is an age/zone???
Just something I made up to make you wonder, GM (you're so fun to talk with!)

Old 07-13-2003, 01:44 AM   #271
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Naughty Rian.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 07-13-2003, 10:20 AM   #272
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hey..You Creation guys are supposed to post YOUR evidence...we evolutionists already did, (and continue to do) "our work" on the evolution thread! So... you want Cirdan to post some info, then what.....you go on *pick apart and attack again mode*! Not fair! Post your "evidence" for creation! That's what this thread is for! (Just ignore me if you want to, Cirdan....of course we have nothing to hide, "The truth will set you free"! )
Old 07-13-2003, 12:09 PM   #273
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Take your time...I know what you mean about kids, esp. on summer vacation...mine are off for a week of day-camp- YAY!!

My post on human/animal exploitation was basically just asking, since Creationists believe that all life on Earth existed at the same time, why do we never find ancient life-forms associated with human habitation sites.

While we pause- favorite jokes associated with the topic:

Noah, standing with a checklist at the entrance to the Ark, announces "We're all booked up on this trip, but we're offering a 50 dollar rebate for anyone who'll take a bump to the next trip."

First unicorn: "50 bucks!!"
Second unicorn: "Wow!!"

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 07-13-2003, 01:37 PM   #274
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Hey..You Creation guys are supposed to post YOUR evidence...
There hasn't been any scientific evidence posted in all of these 14 pages, that I've seen. I could be wrong though. As far as I'm concerned, all these posts that are not giving evidence in support of the Theory of Creation are nothing but spam. Perhaps there is no valid scientific evidence to support the theory and it is all bogus.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:42 PM   #275
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
There hasn't been any scientific evidence posted in all of these 14 pages, that I've seen. I could be wrong though. As far as I'm concerned, all these posts that are not giving evidence in support of the Theory of Creation are nothing but spam. Perhaps there is no valid scientific evidence to support the theory and it is all bogus.
There is no evidence. The only thing people can really use as support for creationism is by trying to knock holes into evolution. Creationism is based solely on ignoring any fossils which link two unique species - such as the Lungfish or dinosaurs with the beginnings of feathers.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 07-13-2003, 01:47 PM   #276
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
There is no evidence. The only thing people can really use as support for creationism is by trying to knock holes into evolution. Creationism is based solely on ignoring any fossils which link two unique species - such as the Lungfish or dinosaurs with the beginnings of feathers.
But this thread is supposed to be for posting evidence in support of the Theory of Creation. Can't they just go back to the other thread "Should Evolution be taught in schools" thread and attempt to knock holes there? Wouldn't that make this a redundant thread? Maybe I should petition the Admins to close this thread, since there's already a thread used to punch holes in the Theory of Evolution. (... joking Rian, don't get your panties in a bunch.)
Old 07-13-2003, 03:26 PM   #277
Nerai
Sapling

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW SHUT UUUUUUUUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAH!!!!

J/K...you may ramble on..........I believe both have supporting evidence,but I don't stand too much here
Old 07-13-2003, 03:30 PM   #278
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

eheheh

yo nerai,

that won't do too good here. You can't tell Ruinel and that bunch to shut up....just let em discuss it themselves.

Have fun,Ruinel and friends

~Giroth

Old 07-13-2003, 03:36 PM   #279
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Well Giroth - the only evidence you bring up is a lack of understanding of evolution and the Bible (which is not a reliabel source).

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 07-13-2003, 03:39 PM   #280
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

alright.Suit yourself.I don't feel like getting into a childish arguement with you about why my belief is wrong.have a nice day.

Closed Thread