Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-19-2004, 08:08 PM   #241
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Right now a lot of stuff is being accomplished so far. First - I'm the new treasurer of Princeton Battlefield Area Preservation Society

Recently - I did the website for Crossroads of the American Revolution Association I am also a panelist on Thursday for the first meeting to plan out Celebrate New Jersey Day. I've had to prepare a speech for this.

Right now this is what I have for the speech...

Quote:
Over 300 years ago William Penn felt it necessary to stand up against the critics of New Jersey by saying, “That there is such a province as New Jersey, is certain…and it is not right in any to despise or dispraise it…”

170 years later, in 1846, Bishop George Washington Doane, son of the builder of the first NJ state house, declared “We have well nigh forgotten that we have a history. We have almost lost the very sense of our identity. We have no center. We have made no rally.” Now, 158 years later, we are here to make that rally.

Today we fight against and for over 300 years of long history. Against, because we have long sat in the shadow between Philadelphia and New York, never getting the recognition we so richly deserve. We fight for our history, because it is something to be proud of. States throughout the country would die to have the history that is contained in these 7,000+ square miles, yet we as a people do not celebrate it.

I have lived in 6 states and traveled to 34 others, I know the pride that the other states enjoy. It is time for New Jersey to take its rightful place and stand tall with similar pride. This has been my goal for the past 6 years when I first realized that the distain for New Jersey is not just from New York, but actually extends coast to coast as well as encountering it from people over seas and in Canada. It was because of the questions such as, “does New Jersey have any trees?” or “you mean Joisey?”, not to mention “Isn’t New Jersey just part of New York?” that brought out my love for this state and made me decide to develop my website. Through AboutNewJersey.com, my goal is to show people all that New Jersey has to offer and to do my part to bring pride to this under appreciated state.

My friends around the world, from Canada, to Sweden, Israel to Australia – know about my love for NJ, sometimes through the computer I can feel their eyes rolling and saying “not again”. But through sharing with them the history, my photos, the many things I do, and the numerous NJ postcards I send them I have now gotten them all to want to visit here.

To change the way the outside views New Jersey, we must first change the way the citizens of New Jersey feel about their own home state. All New Jerseyans must be encouraged to be ambassadors of the state, instead of just blindly accepting the negative comments and stereotypes. This is where the importance of “Celebrate New Jersey” Day is - to showcase the state to its citizens who take so much of it for granted. It’s going to be a long road and it won’t be easy, but with hard work and dedication, I know we can succeed.
Marguerite would like me to add a bit more about me and what I have done for NJ. I hate talking about me - it's much easier to talk about New Jersey or someone else.

I also have made t-shirts which I will be selling -

In addition I have made a postcard (some of you have received it and know who you are ) that I will be selling and using as marketing purposes...

Front

Back

I am also working with the Russian Yellow Pages of New Jersey on their NJ tourist attraction section (I made contact with them after the Beslan School attack). In exchange for my help - they've made me the official NJ tourist website of the telephone book and are giving me the first page of the tourist section for a full page ad. The ad so far looks like this...

Finally the latest thing today is with MoscowHelp.org - which is also associated with the Russian Yellow Pages. In September I offered to help them in planning trips if they had any students from the Beslan School coming out here. Today I received the following e-mail from Oksana -

Quote:
Bob,

You offered your help back in September with organizing activities for kids who would come over for medical treatment.

Just wanted to let you know that we (the Foundation) are helping to bring over a 10-year old girl from Beslan to the US for an eye implant.
She is coming here with her 7-year old sister (who was also in the school and had a broken leg and minor burns, as far as I understand), dad and grandma (her mom was killed in the attack).
The family is coming over at the end of October and will stay here till mid-December.
They will be staying with a family in New York City.

Do you think you will be able to organize some sort of activities / entertainment for the kids?

Oksana
So - this afternoon I was calling my various contacts and checking to see if they would be willing to organize and donate some tickets and events for them. I've contacted children's museums, theaters, the Nets, Atlantic City, ski resorts and others. Hoping I can make their stay here enjoyable under the circumstances. I don't have many details yet, so I'm still waiting for information from Oksana - but I just want to see how many people woudl be willing to help and getting an idea of some of things I might be able to put together for them. I would have them go to a devils game - but with the damn NHL strike - it sucks.

So I guess I've been accomplishing a lot and my website and business plans are moving forward - now all I need to do is start making some money (that'll be a BIG accomplishment )

This is the main reason I am not on Entmoot as much - also - there is only so much I can go around in circles on the political threads.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-19-2004 at 08:18 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:09 PM   #242
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Looks great JD.....who's Marguerite? I'd like to hear/see you give your speech!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:21 PM   #243
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
Looks great JD.....who's Marguerite? I'd like to hear/see you give your speech!
Thanks. Marguerite is the president of the Crossroads of the American Revolution Association and the organizer for Thursday. She's a big supporter of what I'm doing. She has also told me numerous times that I'm the central person to this Celebrate NJ Day - which makes me rather nervous and excited at the same time.

You can come to NJ to hear me give my speech. I suck at talking in public though. Just hop on a plane and come out.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-19-2004 at 11:23 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-20-2004, 02:46 AM   #244
Millane
The Dude

By God youve been busy, i blame my lack of doing anything on the heat (of course its not lazyness), its good to see some more people in the world that arent like me
hmm maybe it was just the way i was reading it but with the line
Quote:
Today we fight against and for over 300 years of long history
it sounded better as for and against when i read it, but im sure youve been reciting it to yourself a lot.
Quote:
So - this afternoon I was calling my various contacts and checking to see if they would be willing to organize and donate some tickets and events for them. I've contacted children's museums, theaters, the Nets, Atlantic City, ski resorts and others.
did any of them sound hopeful, its great that your doing it but i imagine it needs a lot of other people to put in aswell. well done
Old 10-20-2004, 02:34 PM   #245
Janny
The Blobbit

I finally took a test and passed with a grade that matched my predicted.

Maths mechanic: 1D kinematic motion: 22/20, 110%

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:01 AM   #246
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millane
hmm maybe it was just the way i was reading it but with the line it sounded better as for and against when i read it, but im sure youve been reciting it to yourself a lot.
I worded it that way - because I wanted to end on the positive - instead of the negative.

This is my final speech i had given...
Quote:
Over 300 years ago William Penn felt it necessary to stand up against the critics of New Jersey by saying, “That there is such a province as New Jersey, is certain…and it is not right in any to despise or dispraise it…”

170 years later, in 1846, Bishop George Washington Doane, son of the builder of the first NJ state house, declared “We have well nigh forgotten that we have a history. We have almost lost the very sense of our identity. We have no center. We have made no rally.” Now, 158 years later, we are here to make that rally.

Today we fight against and for over 300 years of long history. Against, because we have long sat in the shadow between Philadelphia and New York, never getting the recognition we so richly deserve. We fight for our history, because it is something to be proud of. States throughout the country would die to have the history that is contained in these 7,000+ square miles, yet we as a people do not celebrate it.

I have lived in 6 states and traveled to 34 others, I know the pride that the other states enjoy. It is time for New Jersey to take its rightful place and stand tall with similar pride. This has been my goal for the past 6 years when I first realized that the distain for New Jersey is not just from New York, but actually extends coast to coast as well as encountering it from people over seas and in Canada. It was because of the questions such as, “does New Jersey have any trees?” or “you mean Joy-zee?”, not to mention “Isn’t New Jersey just part of New York?” that brought out my love for this state and made me decide to develop my website. Through AboutNewJersey.com, my goal is to show people all that New Jersey has to offer and to do my part to bring pride to this under appreciated state.

My friends around the world, from Canada, to Sweden, Israel to Australia – know about my love for NJ, sometimes through the computer I can feel their eyes rolling and saying “not again”. But through sharing with them the history, my photos, the many things I do, and the numerous NJ postcards I send them I have now gotten them all to want to visit here.

To change the way the outside views New Jersey, we must first change the way the citizens of New Jersey feel about their own home state. How can we get others to respect us when we have two NFL teams who play here with another state’s initials on their helmets, with our rest stops along the Turnpike carrying NY merchandise, and nearly no NJ souvenirs -- except for the Newark Airport snow globe, the same goes for Liberty State Park, our most visited park. How can people expect much from New Jersey when we don’t even have any welcome signs at our borders proudly announcing “Welcome to New Jersey, the Garden State”? When we have a 3 time Stanley Cup Champion that proudly carries the NJ name yet can’t even attract any attendance – because half the people from Northern New Jersey supports the NY team and southern NJ roots for the Philadelphia team. These are things that will have to be changed, to show people – it’s okay to be proud of NJ. To form a proud identity.

All New Jerseyans must be encouraged to be ambassadors of the state, instead of just blindly accepting the negative comments and stereotypes.

Now Marguerite told me that I should add in a bit about me and my “stories”. I would much rather talk about New Jersey, but here it goes. When I first moved back 5 years ago from Indiana, I was staying at my cousins’ house. All I kept hearing from Steve (13 at the time) and Joey (8 at the time) was how boring NJ is and there isn’t anything to do. I found out that they never actually had gone anywhere, so I took them places – Atlantic City, Seaside Heights, Great Adventure, which they had never been to, Princeton, and more. I then took them out to Indiana and Chicago for a week. They both now have a different opinion of New Jersey. Steve just last month told me he found himself defending New Jersey and said he was becoming like me.

November of that same year, my sister came out to visit and said I should run for governor. I told her that’s okay – I just want to be New Jersey’s ambassador. And through the years that is what I have been. When anyone is willing to listen, and sometimes when they aren’t, I tell them about New Jersey and all there is to do here. When I see New Jersey not getting the respect or acknowledgement it deserves – I speak out.

When NY was on CNN’s Talk Back Live telling the world how they were planning on “hosting” the Super Bowl – I sent the show an e-mail. I informed Talk Back Live that it was impossible for NY to host the Super Bowl – since the Giants are a New Jersey team (no matter what initials they may wear on their uniforms) and the stadium is IN New JERSEY. If the Super Bowl were to take place in the Meadowlands – it would be hosted by New JERSEY – not New York. CNN chose my letter to read on the air and pointed out that I was correct. Even though the New York representative’s response was that it’s basically New York, and everyone considers it New York anyway, it was good to show everyone watching that it should have been NJ representatives on the program – not New Yorkers.

Again, this past spring, when I looked on Royal Carribean’s website and saw that they were sending vacationers to NY for side trips, even though their port of call was now New Jersey – I sent out my customary e-mail. A few days later I received a phone call from Jaye Hilton, Manager of Corporate Communications. She informed me that my e-mail had made it all around Royal Carribean. We talked and she invited me up for a private tour of the ships and to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port’s official opening. She also told me that it was very good that I wrote my letter, that it showed people that New Jerseyans want the recognition and that New Jersey is not an extension nor interchangeable with New York, but it’s own unique state. She also let me know that the website was being changed as we spoke and that if I had any other problems to call her personally.

In addition to speaking out, I also invite people out to visit and show them around. In August, a friend of mine from Texas came out. She wanted to get away from her roommate, had never been to New Jersey and decided spur of the moment that she wanted to see for herself what the big deal is with New Jersey. So she drove TWO days out here and arrived on Thursday. I took her to Princeton, Great Adventure, Cape May (where MAC kindly got me tickets to the Emlyn Physick Estate and the trolley tour), Seaside Heights, Delaware & Raritan Canal, Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory in Plainsboro, Liberty State Park, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty and I’d hate to admit it – New York. Needless to say – she left Monday exhausted. She got the quick Reader’s Digest view of New Jersey, but at least enough to see the diversity of the state. She left here wanting to explore more and wanting to come back.

This is what “Celebrate New Jersey” Day is all about. – it’s a way to showcase the state to its citizens who take so much of it for granted.

It’s going to be a long road and it won’t be easy to change people’s perception and attitude toward NJ, but with hard work and dedication, I know we can succeed.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-24-2004, 12:03 AM   #247
jerseydevil

continued...

BTW - I spelt Joisey as "Joy-zee" because I can't pronounce it. So I was able to say it by reading Joy and then Zee - at least it sounded a bit like it anyway.

It actually went very well even though I was nervous as hell. Good thing I was behind a podium - because I couldn't stop my hand from shaking - but supposedly no one knew it. The people laughed at the right places and they clapped very loudly at the end. Then people came up to me afterward and told me what an excellent speech it was and how they hoped that I would give more speeches. Marguerite even said it was the highlight of the event - so that was a big compliment for me. The whole thing was a HUGE accomplishment - because I was so damn nervous. I didn't actually finalize my speech until about 12:00am Thursday morning - then I practiced it until 2:00am.

People really liked my postcards, which I sold some and I gave some away too. I put one at everyone's seat at the tables. The NJ Archives told me they would like to sell some of my postcards. The person sent me the consignment form. I also sold some shirts - which was not as organized at it should have been - since I was too busy with being involved in the event to really worry about selling anything. I'm now making bookmarks to give out and sell.

With the bookmarks and the postcards - I'm going to see if the various historical societies, might want to sell them.

Quote:
did any of them sound hopeful, its great that your doing it but i imagine it needs a lot of other people to put in as well. well done
Thanks Millane. I've gotten several phone calls back - including the NJ Nets. I have to call them back - I was at the Celebrate NJ thing giving my speech - so I have to call back Liberty Science Center and the NJ Nets. McCarter Theatre in Princeton sent me 4 voucher tickets for "A Christmas Carol". If they come out - I was going to show them around Princeton- so 4 won't be enough tickets (but I can pay for my own anyway). Also, the girls will have a therapist with them and plus the people they are staying with.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-24-2004 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:42 AM   #248
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

That's great! Your hard work is paying off! Relax...... Have a beer....Watch some mindless TV.......You did it!!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 06:16 AM   #249
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Wow, JD, that all sounds very impressive.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:49 AM   #250
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
BTW - I spelt Joisey as "Joy-zee" because I can't pronounce it. So I was able to say it by reading Joy and then Zee - at least it sounded a bit like it anyway.
Yes, folks, you better believe it. The man is physically incapable of pronouncing "Joisey".

*Sends big bunch of flowers to Plainsboro* I'm so proud of you JD, you're doing so well. Keep your chin up, eh? Your speech is wonderful and I'm glad it was received so well. It even has references to us. Yeah!

The postcards and bookmarks look awesome. They look even better in real life too. My accomplishment: I worked out which photo is on the back but not the front after 1 go.

Keep up the good work, JD!
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:03 AM   #251
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Wow, way to go JD, that's amazing! Congradulations.

I don't really come in this thread very much but it sure seems like a picked the right time. Maybe you should run for governor, like your sister said.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:03 AM   #252
Draken
Elf Lord

I finished my X-Files PC game! In just a little under...erm...8 years!

Well my first machine kept crashing when it ran it, then I lost interest, then I got stuck at the warehouse bit, then I lost interest again...you know how it is!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:35 PM   #253
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
I understood a maths lecture!!!!!!!! its a miracle!!!!!!!! :P

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:31 PM   #254
Brian
Elven Warrior

i figured out my password and username!!

slipknot rules and norco is still the best!!

my fourm need ppl!!

http://www.casev.com/lotr/
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:04 PM   #255
jerseydevil

I got my cable modem, I have made my room into my office with a new desk, i got a 19" Sony Flat Screen monitor - HS94P. I have a whiteboard and my desk calendar and folders. I am finally getting everything up as an office. My next step is to incorporate AboutNewJersey.com either as a for profit or non-profit. Everyone is suggesting to start out as a non-profit.

My desk looks out my window too - so I get more sun. Before it was in the dinign area by the kitchen. It made it too easy for me to constantly go into the kitchen and get something to eat. I also got a new phone and lamp.

2005 is when everything will start to really fall into place now.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-13-2004, 06:15 PM   #256
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

That rocks JD! Nothing like giving yourself the right tools and atmosphere to get the job done! And a flat screen monitor frees up more space for piles of papers... *looks at own desk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
i figured out my password and username!!
lol!! Welcome back Brian.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 12-14-2004, 03:05 AM   #257
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I hit the gym and gained 10lbs of lean mass in two months. Gains are dropping due to lack of supplementation, but there nonetheless. I'll be a beast next December. I hope.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:15 PM   #258
Mercutio

I'm now the top high-school oboist in the state of DE. -- 1st chair in All-state Senior Band and All-state Orchestra.

That just made my day.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:24 PM   #259
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
I'm now the top high-school oboist in the state of DE. -- 1st chair in All-state Senior Band and All-state Orchestra.

That just made my day.
Wow! Nice one!! Congradulations and Grattis!

That rocks socks.

I fixed my bicycle! And the gear system is now more smooth than before! (Read: not jerky)
Quote:
Old 12-15-2004, 11:17 PM   #260
inked
Elf Lord

Well, two things, actually!

1) I have a piece from here on Evil in Middle Earth that was published on-line at www.1928bcp.com !

2) I got my avatar to work!!!

Congratulations Mercutio on #uno in oboe and to Nurv for no longer looking "jerky" on your bike!

Thanks Radagast the Brown!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote